As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3D Printers] - Now with Auto-Calibration!

1235»

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am also looking into this.

I'm looking to mainly print D&D minifigs and maybe other projects. Budget is around $600 (I can go higher if a good case is made for a specific model)

http://shop.prusa3d.com/en/3d-printers/59-original-prusa-i3-mk2-kit.html

caught my eye because it can do bronze and bamboo which seems like it'd work really nicely for D&D stuff. I don't know what goes into building these, is there instructions or is it "lol guess!", and should I look into buying a prefabbed one? I'd be willing to pay more for that.

I want detail on faces and stuff if possible.

I'd also like to paint them, any recommendations on which material works best for that? Like I said, I really like the bamboofill stuff.. no idea if it's paintable like minifigs or if it drinks paint like a normal wood.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    dav3ybdav3yb Registered User regular
    I've been considering a 3d printer more and more recently. I've had some things come up that I would like to make, and with them costing about the same as a higher end ink jet, it seems like something fun to get into.

Mainly thinking of some of the smaller printer, like the monoprice select mini or plus at the moment. I know their print areas are not huge, but i think for me, to get started, it'd be a great option. I know at some point very soon monoprice should be releasing the select mini version 2, with some community inspired upgrades, like stiffer frames, and a proud control knob.

If it were closer to being out I'd probably consider the Snapmaker, seems both sturdy and versatile. It has different modules you can attach to it which can turn it into a small cnc or laser engraver. Of course it's just a kickstarter right now, but it's looking promising.

BTW, does anyone here with a 3d printer offer services to print things for people? Mainly curious, but I wouldn't mind commissioning a thing or two.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    So I pulled the trigger on a 3d printer last night. The V2 of the monoprice mini select dropped yesterday and I picked one up, as well a starter roll of pla.

https://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/21711?c_id=107&cp_id=10724&cs_id=1072403

They're still showing in stock if anyone is looking to get one. It seems like the best printer to get into 3d printing right now honestly.

PSN: daveyb1337 || XBL: dav3yb360 || Steam: dav3yb || Switch: SW-5274-1897-8495 || 3DS FC: 2079-7419-8843
  • Options
    Yeah I hemmed and hawed about my previous choice.. and now I'm thinking about the v1 of that.

What's the V2 offer? Looks like the build plate is insulated and the extruder is metal vs whatever it is on the normal one?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Wow that is super tempting. I've been holding off to see how the ThingMaker turns out

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah I hemmed and hawed about my previous choice.. and now I'm thinking about the v1 of that.

What's the V2 offer? Looks like the build plate is insulated and the extruder is metal vs whatever it is on the normal one?

Seems like the main upgrades are a stiffer frame to help prevent any wobbling issues i guess? an all metal extruder, some active cooling for the main board, and the knob on the control panel is a proud instead of flush like on the first model.

I think they have something applied to the print bed as well to help adhesion. I'm hoping it'll do good, as I've been toying around with some simple cad programs to design some stuff.

I've got a set of calipers coming in so i can start getting really good accurate measurements of things I'll be printing stuff for.

• Options
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15365

looks like this one supports way more materials? Hm.

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15365

looks like this one supports way more materials? Hm.

A lot of comments on this is mainly that, no it doesn't. You can make the printer work with them, but it takes more after market or custom printed parts to really make it. I think the V2 is just being more honest as to what you should expect of it out of the box, which is how many people are probably going to be using it

• Options
    Got my printer in today. Got it setup and leveled the bed as best i could, and ran the cat file that came on the included SD card.

I'd say it did pretty damn good.
    0jrFXcM.png

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Just bringing this one back to life briefly to let people know that Amazon has some deals on 3d printers for prime day; Amazon Canada has the Monoprice Select Mini for CDN$231 no matter what, and 20% more discount if you trial/join Prime, so overall CDN$186 -vs- CDN$330.

Amazon US has, um, the Maker Select V2 for 10% off if you join Prime, so not such a good deal there, sadly.

(edit: looks like the $80 off in canada went away, now it's just 20% off)

djmitchella on