As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Open Recruitment] Dungeon World: Seeking Delvers of the Menank

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Thank you for playing Aistan!

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Allyxia wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    By the time Renne goes on another mission the answer to "what here is evil?" will be "everyone. also everything." probably.
    So uh, this has definitely become way more true after last night's session. We still don't have a guild name but if we did I'm pretty sure the motto would be:

How low can you go?

Eventually it'll just be Rene and Thrognar, having paladin buddy cop adventures.

I'm probably going to bow out of participating in this anymore. I've missed too many sessions, I have no idea what's going on, and if Renne had been involved in a lot of them I think she'd probably be dead by now. She took two significant hits protecting a murderer so we could take him back to town for trial that one time, I imagine there'd be a lot more times she'd put herself directly in the way of events and probably would have been run down.

So yeah, in-world I assume she'll just throw up her hands and bail, either finding some other guild that helps people or rejoining the town watch.

It was a lot of fun the few sessions I was involved in. You all have done a pretty cool job making a neat setting and filling it with interesting characters. I'm glad I joined and gave it a try.

It's just this is basically roleplaying challenge mode and i'm not good enough at it to keep up with everyone.

I've only been in two games myself. I have no idea what's going on either, but I try to jump in when I can and be as strange as possible to maximize my fun. Maybe when the stars align I'll be able to play more but until then, I'm going to jump in when I can.

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    @Aistan Dra'alde will be sad to see Renne go, and will find her a few days later wherever she ends up, and give her a rain cloud. "May you and yours never want for water Renne." He doesn't want her or her family to ever end up like the outcasts in the tent city outside town.
    Yup, going to waste some of my gold on being sentimental! (Just waiting to find out how much.)

• Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Session tomorrow night! Hold onto them buns!

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I am starting to think it's Menanki's Will that Killian not adventure tonight. Lightning touched what sounded like less than a mile from here and caused a power surge that's knocked out my PC internet. Ugh.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Aw man. I'm glad you were able to join us in the end!

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Mandolin Monies.

Mandolin Monies:
    2d6+2 13 [2d6=5, 6]

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    149lizk98ksm.png

Patrick / Niamh made a art for us

I'm a star!

In a minor role.

We have a session coming up next Wednesday! Please make sure to RSVP if you're able to come

• AllyxiaAllyxia Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Invitations have been sent out to Adventurers of Distinction for the Argent Spring Gala tonight! There are drinks to be had, scars to compare, and a chance to improve relations with the other guilds in town.

Your company will be represented by the following characters:

Eruantion – Arcane Duelist – Good (Slay a menace to the innocent.)
    • Honor-bound: Ask me to prove myself in a duel to gain your respect.
    • Leeroy Jenkins: Let me rush off without a plan and put us all in danger.

Niamh – Fighter – Good (Defend those weaker than you.)
    Black Feather – Right forearm marked
    • Detective Niamh: Give me a mystery so that I may solve it
    • I must be better: Give me an opportunity to do good so that I may fail those I care about.
    • Atheist: Tell me of your religious beliefs or gods so that I may rebuke them

Jarl Darkiron – Fighter – Neutral (Defeat a worthy opponent.)
    Might Be Hearing Voices, OooOOOoooHHHH
    • Reckless: Tell me to be careful in a dangerous situation so I can ignore you.
    • Crazy: Listen to my crazy idea so you can tell me how dumb it is.
    • Possessed: Question my strange behavior so I can deny it.

Zephyr Quinn – Ranger – Chaotic (Free someone from literal or figurative bonds.)
    Deity: Lumpy Shark Goddess – Animal companions: Castille the Rook and Simone the Raven.
    • Leader: Allow me to make a decision so you can criticize it.
    • Scoundrel: Present me with the opportunity to put my penchant for taking things above the well-being of the group.
    • Hedonist: Present me with an opportunity or join me in overindulging in a vice.

Shae’ah – Druid – Chaotic (Destroy a symbol of civilization.)
    • Actual Cannibal: Offer onto me new flesh that I might sate my hunger.
    • Survival of the fittest: Adapt or die. Prove to me you are not fated to be my next meal.
    • Past Life: I remember only the faintest memory of home. The Mother Gator, the name Gurg, and the Great Beasts. Reveal their meaning to me.

Which is probably fine and nothing to worry about.

Worst case scenario someone accidentally steps on their partner’s foot during a dance, right?

EDIT: THAT LAST LINE WAS NOT A DARE.

Allyxia on
    Oh my, that man over there mispronounced hors d'oeuvre! How quaint! Roll+CHA to mock him or +INT to correct him gently with the pronunciation or +WIS to provide him with seventeen alternate words

We danced the night away
    And someone died anyway

Some. Things. Occurred.
    Anxious to see the writeup

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular

I hope I wasn't too scatter brained this session, I got like 2 hours of sleep last night, so I almost canceled to get some zzz

Nah you were fine!
    Thanks for showing up

Gonna try and do a sesh this Sunday maybe since I think it's been a while since a weekend session was done and also next week is fukk of blades

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    See, you don't take Killian, people die! (Never mind he's out on a nature walk with the kids)

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    It's a good thing Father Killian has Resurrection.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    More like Father Killin'em, am I right?

Matev wrote: »
    See, you don't take Killian, people die! (Never mind he's out on a nature walk with the kids)

Hey we can get all fucky with timelines if needed for that one quest

Matev wrote: »

Hey we can get all fucky with timelines if needed for that one quest
    I think it's fine to say the practice session quest takes place after the Gala.

"Why are you in such a rush to get out of town, Ashe?"
    "NO MORE QUESTIONS!"

Soo... did we get xp or gold as a group?

I know I got 3xp for two failures and going on the bad information that demon arm girl was totally wanting this dwarf body!

One for finding out more about how the whole... Exile thing works?
    But no money.

You got paid in exposure

I have been terrible about paying attention this month.

Quick reminder: The Guild now has a garden after a Montage in the last session I was in, it contains alchemical herbs, and Dra'alde has a formula for Healing Potions.. so we can purchase them for half price.

Looks like we have our 5 for the mission Sunday! Does any of the party coming down have the arm chip?

Niamh has an arm chip.

Oh ok so uh. Cool!

edited May 2017
    Session 13 Character List

Rona Ironheel – Vampire – Lawful (Drink only when necessary, and only what you need.)
    • Wariness: Refuse to accept help from me because of my vampirism.
    • Necessary Evil: Ask me to carry out a task that needs to be done—whether it’s too dangerous for a normal person to attempt or too unpleasant for you to deal with.

Niamh – Fighter – Good (Defend those weaker than you.)
    Black Feather – Right forearm marked
    • Detective Niamh: Give me a mystery so that I may solve it
    • I must be better: Give me an opportunity to do good so that I may fail those I care about.
    • Atheist: Tell me of your religious beliefs or gods so that I may rebuke them

Eruantion – Arcane Duelist – Good (Slay a menace to the innocent.)
    • Honor-bound: Ask me to prove myself in a duel to gain your respect.
    • Leeroy Jenkins: Let me rush off without a plan and put us all in danger.

Lomaine – Druid – Good (Help something or someone else grow.)
    • Take My Shrooms: Accept my mushrooms to validate my status as a sentient being.
    • Expand my Palate: Convince me there is another food that is tastier than mushrooms.

Dra’alde – Wizard – Good (Use magic to directly aid another.)
    • One Track Mind: Try to convince me magic isn’t the best solution to the problem at hand.
    • Reckless Planning: Go along with a dangerous magic reliant plan I cooked up despite your better judgment, then point out the obvious plans we didn’t take into account.
    • Outsider: Refuse my aid because I'm different.

Allyxia on
    edited May 2017
    So, I thought Nicodemus would be untrustworthy.
    Turns out, Dra'alde is gonna buy the guy a drink.

edit:
    I was just informed we get 1xp if our log entries are chosen and used as the official log?
    I would then have had the 2xp I needed to level up before the session!
    Oh well, late is better than never!

SutibunRi on
    edited June 2017
    Calendar's up on ObsPort for session 14 this Friday

EDIT: Also Killian's nobody-dies-on-my-watch totally ended.

Allyxia on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    He fixed it in post, though.

Does it really count if it's a stray robot kitty?

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited June 2017
    Ashe's post-mortem
    (note: Some of this information has been obtained from other party members. As such I cannot confirm the veracity of the statements but also have no reason to doubt them.)

Mr. Tibbles ran off to keep up with the druid (we found out later that her name is Lily. Will refer to her as such from here on). He turned into a horse at some point. Aeolaric jumped on and they rode off together.

Ashe and Killian went through a beautiful stone archway into the druid circle proper. A tower in the distance had a glowing crystal shaped like a flower atop it. Ahead of Ashe and Killian was a fork in the road. To the left, thorny vines around a bush of beautiful flowers. Ashe, ever the fool, ran off to try and grab some of the flowers and was rebuffed by the thorns. (Scribbled below this hastily is ’Don’t come on too strong’)

Aeolaric and Tibbles chase Lily until she turns to a bird, flying over a chasm to the tower. They come back to regroup with the other two. Aeolaric is interested in the flowers for an academic purpose, it seems. He says the flowers are quite valuable.

Killian and Ashe sneak down the right-hand path and find some living trees. Living as in moving around and having faces and looking angry. They seem to be protecting a shard of the crystal flower. They turn back and fill Tibbles and Aeolaric in on what is going on. There is some back and forth between the adults as to what to do with the resources that this place has in abundance (namely, water and greenery). During this time, Mr. Tibbles becomes his normal cat form and frolicks into the thick vines. We fear for his safety for a few minutes before hearing a whirring and grinding noise. (Killian later said it was very similar to the beasts with Halcyon, but smaller). Tibbles has returned! And he cut a hole in the vines. Ashe tries to tend to his wounds and the whole group hop through the opening before it seals back up.

The group comes to another fork in the road. To the left, a group of buildings. Houses? Lodging for travelers? Whatever its original purpose, it is currently nearly abandoned. An armored and robed woman comes out to meet the party. She tells them that there are strange metallic swarms that are draining the animals and leaving naught but skins. They are also killing the druids. Very very few remain. Master Thornhart, the leader of the druid circle, has remained in the tower to rebuff the assaults from the strange figure commanding the swarms. The woman hands Aeolaric a vial of explosive. He hands it to Ashe. For some reason, he trusts her. Against all reason, he trusts her. We finally get the woman’s name. She is Reine. (Scribbled below this is ‘Ask her name FIRST’)

Father Killian goes into a nearby hut to tend to a wounded Scarlet Sister. After his ministrations, she tells him that there is a daily attack by the strange man. He sends all his swarms at once and it is likely he is the most vulnerable at this time. The creature has a red crystal heart, like the clay things in the Menanki. Aim for the heart.

Ashe and Tibbles rest up while Killian and Aeolaric scout ahead to see what they can figure out about the path ahead. A humming means that the time is coming. They wake up the slumbering party members and all head towards the cave the thing is said to be hiding in. It emerges and seems to have three swarms at its command. It compels them to the tower and Master Thornhart appears to command the vines to fight off the things. Aeolaric sneaks up behind the figure and cuts into it. As the swarms turn around to defend their master, Ashe intercepts one and commands it to strike the other swarm. She is successful and one swarm is devoured. The remaining few puncture Ashe’s armor and destroy it in the process. Several of the things make it through the armor entirely and stab into her.

Tibbles makes a brave leap to strike at the figure but misses and falls into the crevasse below. Father Killian blesses Aeolaric with the might of the Menanki and then makes his own weapon glow with power. Aeolaric rolls backwards and riddles the figure with throwing blades. Ashe charges foolishly forward, trying to show off her new abilities. She knocks the figure AND Aeolaric down into the crevasse. Aeolaric stabs the thing on the way down. That, coupled with the impact of landing, kill the creature. Tibbles tries to assist and catch Aeolaric. He is crushed and killed in the process. (There are watery marks on the page here)

Aeolaric the Kind and Father Killian the Faithful tend to the poor kitten’s broken form. Never ceasing in their determination to right the wrong done by the bard, they seek out the help of Master Thornhart. He takes Killian inside with him and they begin their work. It takes a few days. Aeolaric heals up and readies himself for the trip back home. True to his word, Fathter Killian returns with Tibbles, alive and bouncing. It seems that Lily is coming back to Argent Springs to act as a guide for Tibbles in the druidic ways.

The Scarlet Sister that Killian saved earlier says that the crystal was the source of the water and plant life here. Perhaps a similar object exists in the Menanki somewhere? More investigation is needed.

We retrieve the half shark corpse made of gold and bring it back. It is in the vault now. Which seems to be locked. More investigation is needed.

(Scribbled in the margins are ‘Ask her hobbies/interests’ and ‘Have her talk about herself’

I make no excuses for my actions. They were foolish and reckless and endangered my traveling companions. I would call them my friends, but I do not deserve to call them as such. I will be going on a trip for a short while. Back in a few days.

To everyone I have harmed, I am sorry. Truly. I hope I can make it up to you someday. Please let me know how.

-Ashe

Erin The Red on
    edited June 2017
    Does it really count if it's a stray robot kitty?

Catnap-dirtnap still 100% counts.

Allyxia on
    The odds were kinda stacked against Mr. Tibbles. What with our track record re: druid survival.

The real question is if I get xp for throwing snake eyes on last breath.

Drood is Argent Springs hard mode

Drood is Argent Springs hard mode
    Tibbles remaining lives: 8/9
    The real question is if I get xp for throwing snake eyes on last breath.
    I will say you do. If anything playing in a field of flowers with Death was an experience.

Ashe's post-mortem
    (note: Some of this information has been obtained from other party members. As such I cannot confirm the veracity of the statements but also have no reason to doubt them.)

Mr. Tibbles ran off to keep up with the druid (we found out later that her name is Lily. Will refer to her as such from here on). He turned into a horse at some point. Aeolaric jumped on and they rode off together.

Ashe and Killian went through a beautiful stone archway into the druid circle proper. A tower in the distance had a glowing crystal shaped like a flower atop it. Ahead of Ashe and Killian was a fork in the road. To the left, thorny vines around a bush of beautiful flowers. Ashe, ever the fool, ran off to try and grab some of the flowers and was rebuffed by the thorns. (Scribbled below this hastily is ’Don’t come on too strong’)

Aeolaric and Tibbles chase Lily until she turns to a bird, flying over a chasm to the tower. They come back to regroup with the other two. Aeolaric is interested in the flowers for an academic purpose, it seems. He says the flowers are quite valuable.

Killian and Ashe sneak down the right-hand path and find some living trees. Living as in moving around and having faces and looking angry. They seem to be protecting a shard of the crystal flower. They turn back and fill Tibbles and Aeolaric in on what is going on. There is some back and forth between the adults as to what to do with the resources that this place has in abundance (namely, water and greenery). During this time, Mr. Tibbles becomes his normal cat form and frolicks into the thick vines. We fear for his safety for a few minutes before hearing a whirring and grinding noise. (Killian later said it was very similar to the beasts with Halcyon, but smaller). Tibbles has returned! And he cut a hole in the vines. Ashe tries to tend to his wounds and the whole group hop through the opening before it seals back up.

The group comes to another fork in the road. To the left, a group of buildings. Houses? Lodging for travelers? Whatever its original purpose, it is currently nearly abandoned. An armored and robed woman comes out to meet the party. She tells them that there are strange metallic swarms that are draining the animals and leaving naught but skins. They are also killing the druids. Very very few remain. Master Thornhart, the leader of the druid circle, has remained in the tower to rebuff the assaults from the strange figure commanding the swarms. The woman hands Aeolaric a vial of explosive. He hands it to Ashe. For some reason, he trusts her. Against all reason, he trusts her. We finally get the woman’s name. She is Reine. (Scribbled below this is ‘Ask her name FIRST’)

Father Killian goes into a nearby hut to tend to a wounded Scarlet Sister. After his ministrations, she tells him that there is a daily attack by the strange man. He sends all his swarms at once and it is likely he is the most vulnerable at this time. The creature has a red crystal heart, like the clay things in the Menanki. Aim for the heart.

Ashe and Tibbles rest up while Killian and Aeolaric scout ahead to see what they can figure out about the path ahead. A humming means that the time is coming. They wake up the slumbering party members and all head towards the cave the thing is said to be hiding in. It emerges and seems to have three swarms at its command. It compels them to the tower and Master Thornhart appears to command the vines to fight off the things. Aeolaric sneaks up behind the figure and cuts into it. As the swarms turn around to defend their master, Ashe intercepts one and commands it to strike the other swarm. She is successful and one swarm is devoured. The remaining few puncture Ashe’s armor and destroy it in the process. Several of the things make it through the armor entirely and stab into her.

Tibbles makes a brave leap to strike at the figure but misses and falls into the crevasse below. Father Killian blesses Aeolaric with the might of the Menanki and then makes his own weapon glow with power. Aeolaric rolls backwards and riddles the figure with throwing blades. Ashe charges foolishly forward, trying to show off her new abilities. She knocks the figure AND Aeolaric down into the crevasse. Aeolaric stabs the thing on the way down. That, coupled with the impact of landing, kill the creature. Tibbles tries to assist and catch Aeolaric. He is crushed and killed in the process. (There are watery marks on the page here)

Aeolaric the Kind and Father Killian the Faithful tend to the poor kitten’s broken form. Never ceasing in their determination to right the wrong done by the bard, they seek out the help of Master Thornhart. He takes Killian inside with him and they begin their work. It takes a few days. Aeolaric heals up and readies himself for the trip back home. True to his word, Fathter Killian returns with Tibbles, alive and bouncing. It seems that Lily is coming back to Argent Springs to act as a guide for Tibbles in the druidic ways.

The Scarlet Sister that Killian saved earlier says that the crystal was the source of the water and plant life here. Perhaps a similar object exists in the Menanki somewhere? More investigation is needed.

We retrieve the half shark corpse made of gold and bring it back. It is in the vault now. Which seems to be locked. More investigation is needed.

(Scribbled in the margins are ‘Ask her hobbies/interests’ and ‘Have her talk about herself’

I make no excuses for my actions. They were foolish and reckless and endangered my traveling companions. I would call them my friends, but I do not deserve to call them as such. I will be going on a trip for a short while. Back in a few days.

To everyone I have harmed, I am sorry. Truly. I hope I can make it up to you someday. Please let me know how.

-Ashe

I feel like we might need a guilt-off here between Ashe and Dra'alde, each certain they are the bigger monster and trying to make the other feel better about their mistakes..

Session 11:
    3am on the night of our return from the Menanki:
    It would be better if we left this blank..

Everyone’s still awake, I haven’t been able to convince them to let me cast Sleep on them to let them rest after what went down in there..
    Gods, we completed our missions, but.. it wasn’t worth 40 gold.. Not even close..

Well, the day started out well, I gathered everyone together, and we made a garden on the roof, we’re using dog and bear droppings as fertilizer and the rain cloud is providing the water we need for the garden. It all went super well, we’ve got alchemical herbs growing, and a few vegetables, so we can make our own healing potions now, that’s good..

Then we headed down into the Menanki..
    The shopkeeper lady is a huge thing of tentacles and floating eyes..
    It was angered and scared by the black coins I possess.
    I think I’m persona non-grata at her shop now..

We went deeper..
    There’s a room filled with of hundreds of corpses..
    I.. don’t want to go into details about what happened..
    The short version is;

There was a mind flayer, It got all of us.

It claimed I resisted the attack, and was fully in control of my senses.. but that makes it worse..
    I don’t know what the others saw, I was only shown the nightmare of the man we were leading to pay respects to his dead husband..
    In the dream his husband turned away from him, and it was.. not a good reunion.. I..
    Why didn’t I prepare fireball.

The mind flayer offered to devour me in exchange for everyone elses freedom, but I.. gods I don’t want to lose my mind, maybe someone else would do it, but I couldn’t.
    I made a deal.
    I gave it a scroll..
    It let go of Rona and Lazz, I don’t know if my deal saved either of them, they might have resisted on their own.. I couldn’t ask what they saw..

It can teleport now.

I’m sorry.

-Dra’alde.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    How many people are signed up for the next session? I might be able to swing it if the player count is low.