As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bioshock DLC available

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    So when the mother fuck do us silver Live members get to download the DLC? This is pure fucking bullshit.

One week.

All new content is being made exclusive to gold members for one week, then it's available afterwards.

FyreWulff on
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's not up for Gold members now, is it?

Also, do we check the actual game or the Marketplace for the DLC?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's up on the marketplace for Gold dudes, yes. I got it earlier.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    So when the mother fuck do us silver Live members get to download the DLC? This is pure fucking bullshit.

One week.

All new content is being made exclusive to gold members for one week, then it's available afterwards.

What do you mean "All new content"? Beyond Bioshock? It didn't used to be this way before, right?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited December 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    It's up on the marketplace for Gold dudes, yes. I got it earlier.

Hot damn, I'm downloading soon as I get home.

Any opinions on the widescreen fix? Is it something applied automatically, or something you enable under Options?

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    God damn it

Now I can't load my saved game

It just crashes to desktop and I get that "Bioshock.exe has encountered an error" thing

This could be due to the patch or it could be due to the fact that I had to revert to the latest drivers rather than those shitty beta drivers that made all the fences neon green in CoD4

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Bullshit?

I pay fifty dollars a year.

You pay zip.

I see no bullshit.

Evander on
  • Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Lunker wrote: »
    So, I don't want to dig up and bump the old Bioshock thread... is it explained at all why Andrew Ryan decides to
    have you kill him?
    I'm currently in Olympus Heights, just knowing that it does get explained would be sufficient.

According to one friend's opinion....
    He simply had no reason to live. Rapture was in ruins, his plans all gone to hell. He probably wanted to go out with a bang, taken out by his own son.

Yes, it is rather obvious the main guy is Ryan's son.

What I'm still trying to figure out, though, is what Fontaine meant after he revealed himself to you when he said.

"For a time, I was even a China-man."

At first I thought it meant he was impersonating Suchong, but that doesn't quite fit.

I didn't really delve too far into the backstory, but what I took out of it:
    Ryan was testing your will to see if you could choose to override the mind control implanted into your genes. "A man chooses ... a slave obeys." He expressed disappointment that you could be so easily told what to do -- remember that he kept telling you to "would you kindly walk around" and generally pulling you around like a puppet. He was giving you one final chance to resist the mind control and use your own free will to not kill him. Of course, you can't overcome it, but I think the mere concept of involuntary action repulsed him.
    The key here was the phrase "A Man chooses... a Slave obeys." Ryan didn't die because he had nothing left to live for, or to allow the player to resist, but so he could choose to die rather then be killed by Fontaine with the player as a proxy. With his death Ryan sees himself as the man and the player as the slave.

On the note about the patch I will not be happy until they add in the teleportation plasmid.

Bryse Eayo on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Bullshit?

I pay fifty dollars a year.

You pay zip.

I see no bullshit.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just about to start my first real playthrough.

Vita Chambers? GET OF MY PLANE.

august on
    edited December 2007
    So with Vita Chambers disabled, does that basically mean game over whenever you die?

edited December 2007
    Anyone know if you have to start a new game for the changes to take effect? I have save that's about half an hour in.

august on
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Me too. I had this in the hopper for a bit and now I'm gonna give it a go no vita chambers.
    of course I could end up running back to them due to how horrible I am at FPS on consoles

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    edited December 2007
    So with Vita Chambers disabled, does that basically mean game over whenever you die?

Uh.

Yeah.

august on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    Anyone know if you have to start a new game for the changes to take effect? I have save that's about half an hour in.

I had started a game on Hard before the update, downloaded the patch, and it works fine for me with my current save. No errors and no VitaChambers.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited December 2007
    You just go under options I'm assuming?

august on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    august wrote: »
    You just go under options I'm assuming?

Yea, it's buried in there somewhere. Gameplay I think.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited December 2007
    So again, any thoughts on the widescreen fix? Is it auto enabled or something you change in options?

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So again, any thoughts on the widescreen fix? Is it auto enabled or something you change in options?

There's an option for Horizontal FOV Lock in the settings now. Turn it off, get true widescreen.

BTW, the patch (with the FOV fix) is available to all accounts. The Plasmids and Tonics DLC is only for Gold. Which pisses me off.

Houn on
    edited December 2007
    ITT: People complain that paying customers get prefferential treatment.

Evander on
  • Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Maybe because they used to be able to download free stuff, but now are being penalized, because they aren't gold, you don't have to be an ass about peoples opinions.

Captain Crunch on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Maybe because they used to be able to download free stuff, but now are being penalized, because they aren't gold, you don't have to be an ass about peoples opinions.

But they have every right to do it and a legitimate reason. I pay for my subscription, do you? No? Then why should you get many of the same privileges I do?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited December 2007

But they have every right to do it and a legitimate reason. I pay for my subscription, do you? No? Then why should you get many of the same privileges I do?

You used to have to pay to have any live subscription at all, back in the days of the OXbox.

I think that Silver Accounts were a great idea, but I've been paying 50 bucks a year since April '04, and I think that I deserve to get a little more for that over the folks who don't pay a cent.

edit: and NO ONE is being penalized here. Silver members aren't getting it late, Gold members are getting it early. Gold members are being given a privelege, not silver members a penalty.

Evander on
  • Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Yes I do.

Anyways, Microsoft took away something that they've always had, but now the money-hungry overlords at microsoft took downloading free content away in a cheap shill to make a few extra bucks, Silver users have every right to be mad.

Captain Crunch on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    They aren't making extra money

Everyone gets it in a week. You don't have to pay. You just have to wait.

FyreWulff on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I took the instructions for setting brightness literally. Practically had to squint to make out the gray box against the background. And I'm glad, since it added a great deal to the atmosphere. It was only a problem gameplay-wise once, when I couldn't find a crawlspace and had to turn it up for a moment to figure out where the hell I was supposed to go.

Having Incinerate equipped never seemed to do much to light up a room. If it left a burning corpse, different story.

Tiemler on
    edited December 2007

That hits on a good idea, though.

There ought to be some DLC that is made free for Gold subscribers. maybe just a theme or gamer pic pack every couple of months, but something.

Evander on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is how it's been for as long as I can remember.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Yes I do.

Anyways, Microsoft took away something that they've always had, but now the money-hungry overlords at microsoft took downloading free content away in a cheap shill to make a few extra bucks, Silver users have every right to be mad.

Are you retarded?

Do you not remember when on the OXBox you not only paid to get online but then you still needed to pay to get that DLC. You're bitching because people who pay are getting it a whopping 7 days early? A bloo a bloo a little more because this is a really good reason to get upset!

Atlus Parker on
  • bakatrinhbakatrinh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This game looks really good on my tv with the new widescreen fix. I can see so much.

bakatrinh on
    bakatrinh.png
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have noticed that with widescreen turned on the subtitles are less retarded in their timing.

I only mention it because someone was bitching about it earlier.

EvilBadman on
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Then what's the point of making Silver users wait?

Oh, yes. To try to coerce them into paying for a Gold Account. Of course this is about money.

Is this ONE thing worth $50 to me? Hell no. The only reason I didn't bother to continue my Gold is because I wasn't using most of it's benefits. Still seems off to me to withhold free content on the hopes that you'll get some account upgrades.

Houn on
    edited December 2007
    The widescreen fix is far and away better than how the game looked originally. Anyone who says differently is a damn fool.

The game is worth a replay for this feature alone.

• Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The widescreen fix is far and away better than how the game looked originally. Anyone who says differently is a damn fool.

The game is worth a replay for this feature alone.

I'm seriously considering purchasing this game for this feature alone.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I sold Bioshock. I didn't know DLC was even planned.

But a fixed ratio? 100 more Achievement Points for playing the game the way it should have been played?

Fix the subtitles and they have a second purchase from me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The problem is that they're not adding a new feature to entice people to upgrade to Gold accounts, they're taking away a feature to try to coerce people to upgrading. The strategy reeks almost as bad as Sony's removing the backwards compatibility in the latest model of the PS3 to try to force people to buy more PS3 games.

There are plenty of people who prefer single player and local multiplayer games. Penalizing them because they don't want to spend $50/year for the ability to play online, a feature they wouldn't use much, if at all, does not create happy customers.

RainbowDespair on
    edited December 2007
    WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU PEOPLE NOT GETTING, THERE IS NO PENALIZATION GOING ON HERE.

Penalization? Let me know how penalized you feel when you download your Bioshock pack next week after we paying members get it. That's right, you get a benefit of a $50 subscription for absolutely $0.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007
    Gold members aren't getting it early. The new plasmids are in the PC version and they aren't paying a premium for Peer to Peer multi-player and the same Dorito's/Mountain Dew ads every month! This whole thing is bullshit and I think it's amusing that gold members feel all warm and fuzzy because their peers are being denied free content on a non xbox live-enabled game.

Vow: This is free DLC. No one is benefiting from this situation.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited December 2007
    Vow: This is free DLC. No one is benefiting from this situation.

Pretty sure I'm getting it a week before Silver members. I hope more DLC gets with this way of thinking.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007
    So it looks like I'll be resurrecting this thread from page 150 next week, when nobody longer cares. Or maybe I just won't.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png