As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bioshock DLC available

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You're not getting it early. Everyone else is getting it late. It exists, its ready to go, and its being held back from non gold members.

I don't see why people are so eager to fuck silver subscibers over. How does it benefit you if it gets held back from them? Both silver and gold subscibers paid for the game after all.

JohnDoe on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just a thought. Is it right to withhold bug fixes from silver accounts? New content like the plasmids is fine I suppose, but bug fixes? One person gets their game fixed because they pay, but another is denied and left with potentially game breaking bugs like video/sound errors and crashes? THAT seems like utter bullshit to me, and it's an aspect nobody seems to be bringing up.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    JohnDoe wrote: »
    You're not getting it early. Everyone else is getting it late. It exists, its ready to go, and its being held back from non gold members.

I'm a gold member and don't own the game, but I don't see how anyone can disagree with this statement.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I don't see why people are so eager to fuck silver subscibers over. How does it benefit you if it gets held back from them? Both silver and gold subscibers paid for the game after all.

So enjoy the game you paid for, and I'll enjoy the benefits of a service I paid for.

This is no different from Halo Map Packs, really. Remember how those work? They're ready to go; they're already made. But people who want to pay for them get them early, while everyone will eventually get them for free. Same thing here. This DLC is not something I'd pay for; a new FOV and 100 Achievement points wouldn't justify purchasing...but as a nice little perk for paying Xbox Live, I get it early. I paid a price, the price of a subscription, and I get chosen to have the benefit of getting it before cheapskates. At a later date, it will be available for everyone else. No one gets screwed.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007

So enjoy the game you paid for, and I'll enjoy the benefits of a service I paid for.

This is no different from Halo Map Packs, really. Remember how those work? They're ready to go; they're already made. But people who want to pay for them get them early, while everyone will eventually get them for free. Same thing here. This DLC is not something I'd pay for; a new FOV and 100 Achievement points wouldn't justify purchasing...but as a nice little perk for paying Xbox Live, I get it early. I paid a price, the price of a subscription, and I get chosen to have the benefit of getting it before cheapskates. At a later date, it will be available for everyone else. No one gets screwed.

Your 'perk' is not getting it early. Your perk is feeling smug about others getting it late.

JohnDoe on
  • Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Up until this second, you weren't a subscriber to download otherwise free content. You were paying for the right to play multiplayer around the world, and VOIP. You aren't actually getting more here by this happening. Others are getting less. You getting more would be like if they gave Gold members bigger friends lists, or ad-free dashboards. They are actually taking something away to legitimize paying for something that was once free!

I hope you understand how dangerous a precedent that is, before someone installs a quarter slot in your drinking fountain.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited December 2007
    It's a little of column A and column B, really.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007
    I'm sorry, none of you seemed to mention the fact that it's a week-long wait before you can download the same thing for free. Why are you bitching? If this was exclusive to Gold members only, forever, I'd understand your pain.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is very simple. You know how people constantly complain that Live isn't worth the money?

Well, some people have been saying that Gold Live subscribers should be getting something more than just online play. That they should get early DLC, early demos, or possibly a discount on XBLA games. Well, it looks like Microsoft is listening, and is starting to see how some of these changes would be taken by their user base.

So if you don't like this, contact Microsoft. Tell them you don't like it. As far as I see it, it's something the community (and people outside of it) have been suggesting for the entire life of the 360. It's something that makes sense... pay for live gold, get stuff earlier than silver members.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Let me state this as plainly as I can:

They (the Gold Subscribers) pay fifty dollars a year more than you to Microsoft (who own the online service), so Microsoft puts up the DLC a week early just for them

You (the Silver member) get it a week later and you don't have to pay a single red cent (because Silver membership doesn't cost anything)

The end

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2007
    This is very simple. You know how people constantly complain that Live isn't worth the money?

Well, some people have been saying that Gold Live subscribers should be getting something more than just online play. That they should get early DLC, early demos, or possibly a discount on XBLA games. Well, it looks like Microsoft is listening, and is starting to see how some of these changes would be taken by their user base.

So if you don't like this, contact Microsoft. Tell them you don't like it. As far as I see it, it's something the community (and people outside of it) have been suggesting for the entire life of the 360. It's something that makes sense... pay for live gold, get stuff earlier than silver members.

So... If you're not getting enough, the best way to solve this is to take stuff away from others.

JohnDoe on
    edited December 2007
    THE PC VERSION HAS THIS CONTENT AVAILABLE TODAY! GETTING IT A WEEK EARLY WOULD HAVE BEEN LAST TUESDAY!
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Let me state this as plainly as I can:

They (the Gold Subscribers) pay fifty dollars a year more than you to Microsoft (who own the online service), so Microsoft puts up the DLC a week early just for them

You (the Silver member) get it a week later and you don't have to pay a single red cent (because Silver membership doesn't cost anything)

The end

No one should be paying for it at all! Ever! Not for a week, or for a day. It was designed to be available December 4th. For free.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
    edited December 2007

So... If you're not getting enough, the best way to solve this is to take stuff away from others.

This is the way of the world, my friend.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited December 2007
    THE PC VERSION HAS THIS CONTENT AVAILABLE TODAY! GETTING IT A WEEK EARLY WOULD HAVE BEEN LAST TUESDAY!

So get the PC version? Not sure what's stopping you, exactly.

UnbreakableVow on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

But it wasn't complete last Tuesday

You see, when you want something early, you get the incomplete version

When it is complete and you get it and others get it later, the others complain that they are getting it late, and you are getting it early, despite the fact that it was only just completed and you couldn't have gotten it early

The only way this works is if they set a date for the DLC release and then let the Gold members have it one week before that date because they completed it early

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited December 2007
    Olivaw wrote: »

But it wasn't complete last Tuesday

You see, when you want something early, you get the incomplete version

When it is complete and you get it and others get it later, the others complain that they are getting it late, and you are getting it early, despite the fact that it was only just completed and you couldn't have gotten it early

The only way this works is if they set a date for the DLC release and then let the Gold members have it one week before that date because they completed it early

You are failing to see why this is devious plan is exclusive to Live and not other platforms. If I had this game on steam instead of the xbox I would be enjoying the new content now, and you don't have to pay a fucking dime. Not for demos, not for patches, nothing. How is this acceptable?

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So... yeah. I'm going to install this game. Maybe try to beat it again. Without VitaChambers. And using new Plasmids. Maybe see that other shitty ending. And use the Widescreen Fix even though I'm running 4:3. I think it might be swell.

Zxerol on
    edited December 2007

If people feel that a pay service isn't worth the money the best way to change their mind is to restructure the way your service works.

I see this as a sign that that is happening.

And what's this "taking away from others" bullshit? They didn't take the downloadable content away from you. They gave it to someone else earlier than you, and told you "hey, wait a week and you'll have access to this".

Also, look at it this way, you know all those demos and free DLC you've downloaded over the past 2 years? Well, if you've been a silver member, the gold members have been paying for you to get those things. Is it really wrong for them to get something before you do?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
    edited December 2007
    If you think about it, the Gold members are the ones getting buttfucked here. Instead of getting new, useful features designed to entice paying members into staying loyal to the service, they are just re-gifting features that everyone had in the first place.

Enjoy.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you think about it, the Gold members are the ones getting buttfucked here. Instead of getting new, useful features designed to entice paying members into staying loyal to the service, they are just re-gifting features that everyone had in the first place.

Enjoy.

FIGHT

THE

MAAAAAAAAAAAAN

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
    edited December 2007

Enjoy.

Less than $5 a month for online multiplayer is more than enough incentive.

UnbreakableVow on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ... So how's the DLC? Any good?

Iriah on
    edited December 2007

Enjoy.

Hey, it wasn't my idea. But it is something that I've heard thrown around several times in the "Is Live Worth It" threads that come by every so often.

Really, Microsoft should have had something like this in place from the beginning. Unfortunately they didn't.

I mean, look at the way live works right now. Silver members have access to everything besides online play. They can:

Download Free Demos
    Get Free DLC or DLC at the same price as Gold Members
    Buy XBLA games at the same price as Gold members
    Buy/download videos for free or at the same price as Gold members
    Message friends
    Update their games

What other type of content could they really add to Gold to make it seem like it's worth the money? Off the top of my head I can't really think of anything. The only other option is restructuring the current content to a more tiered system.

They can't make Demos exclusive to Gold members, because demos are advertisements.
    They can't make XBLA games exclusive or free to Gold members, because they'd loose too much money that way.
    They can't make videos exclusive to Gold members, they'd loose to much money.
    Messaging friends is pretty much useless to silver members, so removing that wouldn't really entice people to upgrade
    Updating games can't be changed, that's something that should be free.

The only thing they can do is change the way DLC works. Instead of changing the pricing on it they change the release date.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I love the bit in the offical press where they note that it is not in any way meant to punish silver members, when obviously that is exactly why they did it. Classic.

If only PSN and the PS3 where a legitimate threat then you'd probably see the end of charging for online play. Gold members would get bigger friends lists, no ads and first access to demos, maybe some free wallpapers or some shit. Even better, make voice chat gold only, though you'd get a ton of people who'd sign up for silver anyways.

Unfortunately, Sony had to cock it all up by being such a marginal rival.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shit this better be free.. its just a big patch.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited December 2007
    I wouldn't be upset if this was the way it always was, Rats.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png
  • The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To move away from the gold/silver nit picking:

If I haven't gotten the "Tonic Collector" achievement yet, are the new ones going to be required, or no?

The Everyman on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

If I haven't gotten the "Tonic Collector" achievement yet, are the new ones going to be required, or no?

Actually, if you check you'll find that they reworded that achievement. You now need 53 Tonics instead of 'every' tonic. Because the new Tonics are super cheap, this now actually makes it easier to get that achievement, unless the new ones just don't count at all or something.

Maddoc on
    edited December 2007
    Maddoc wrote: »

Actually, if you check you'll find that they reworded that achievement. You now need 53 Tonics instead of 'every' tonic. Because the new Tonics are super cheap, this now actually makes it easier to get that achievement, unless the new ones just don't count at all or something.

That was always the wording, pretty sure.

UnbreakableVow on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maddoc wrote: »

That was always the wording, pretty sure.

Huh, thought it specified every one. Either way, if the number hasn't changed (and a quick look around suggests that it hasn't), then it's still easier due to the cost of the new tonics. The ones I've seen in-game so far only cost 1 Adam.

Maddoc on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    From my experience of the last week with Live, I find it shocking that all the games I've played so far have had to been patched before play, and that the primary defining quality of the 360 is used to create additional revenue.

I'm shocked and appalled that if I buy a Gold account for my Gamertag (Skeptobot) then that Gold status doesn't apply to my GF's account. So they want my house of 2 to pay £80 a year for the online stuff we occasionally want to play - and people say this is better than friendcodes. And they sell jpegs for cash and you could argue adverts for cash. Rather than being able to extend the appeal of the 360's online, it becomes a service too expensive to experiment with.

I fucking loathe the PS3 and Sony at the minute, but their online is leagues ahead of the, clearly better, but fundamentally flawed 360 version.

They've raised the RRP by £10 for fake production costs, hell, they should raise it another £3 and make Gold standard.

Unfortunately the market takes what the geeks will bare, and we (and soon to be only you) bare it.

The idea, of withholding content to encourage upgrades is purely something that makes subscribers feel better of their choice by increasing the perceived feelings of worth. It makes Silver members feel neglected and shunned, and crucially it makes new users not want to experiment with the service.

I would play the very occasional game of something online. But now that seems unlikely. My free trial to Gold will run out before I've finished my One player games (Oblivion, Bioshock, Dead Rising) and now they are encouraging me to avoid multiplayer ones.

It's not a smart move.

Lave II on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Why do people want to play this game again? I started it over last night and I still love the intro, though I wish it was longer and we got to see more of the city, but as I was playing I saw the lady next to the carriage singing. I have such "leet" BioShock skills that I just came out shocked her and smashed her in the face before she even turned to scream. It was a huge let down from the first time I creeped around that corner to see what's going on, saw the woman, thinking she would be someone to talk to, and she turns around with a BUNNY MASK AND STARTS BEATING ME TO DEATH!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! (Why is Urine on the outside of my body now?)

So as you can see, the best thing about this game for me was the atmosphere and the surprise. Both have dwindled significantly on this 2nd play through. I don't think the combat is that good nor is the A.I. to really get into it again.

What do people do to make it more fun and make me want to go through a 2nd time. New powers are fun and all, but is it worth it?

DrunkMc on
    edited December 2007
    DrunkMc wrote: »
    Why do people want to play this game again? I started it over last night and I still love the intro, though I wish it was longer and we got to see more of the city, but as I was playing I saw the lady next to the carriage singing. I have such "leet" BioShock skills that I just came out shocked her and smashed her in the face before she even turned to scream. It was a huge let down from the first time I creeped around that corner to see what's going on, saw the woman, thinking she would be someone to talk to, and she turns around with a BUNNY MASK AND STARTS BEATING ME TO DEATH!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! (Why is Urine on the outside of my body now?)

So as you can see, the best thing about this game for me was the atmosphere and the surprise. Both have dwindled significantly on this 2nd play through. I don't think the combat is that good nor is the A.I. to really get into it again.

What do people do to make it more fun and make me want to go through a 2nd time. New powers are fun and all, but is it worth it?

I've got it easy, the last few achievements I need are well within reach, so I'm playing through again to get those. I can sort of agree with your sentiments that the replay value is a bit low, the best I can come up with is going through with different Plasmid/Tonic setups.

Maddoc on
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm playing my games in order now, so can't play it till I've finished with Oblivion, but Bioshock seems to me a game to come back to every few years, to see 'the place' again.

Like how I play PoP:SoT every Xmas. As it's amazing.

Lave II on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Speaking of DLC and cost and such...the news that this DLC is free makes it out to be like it's this huge favor to us as gamers. Here's the exact quote:
    And since you guys have been so patient waiting for this patch, we're giving you all the additional content completely free.

Now, am I missing something, or is most of this DLC just a bugfix patch? Are they insinuating that they would make us pay for these bugfixes if they'd released them in a more timely manner? Last I heard, no game developer made you pay for bugfixes.

Marty81 on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Speaking of DLC and cost and such...the news that this DLC is free makes it out to be like it's this huge favor to us as gamers. Here's the exact quote:
    And since you guys have been so patient waiting for this patch, we're giving you all the additional content completely free.

Now, am I missing something, or is most of this DLC just a bugfix patch? Are they insinuating that they would make us pay for these bugfixes if they'd released them in a more timely manner? Last I heard, no game developer made you pay for bugfixes.

Think of it more as an apology for taking so long to fix these bugs the community was so vocal about.

So they throw in some goodies just to kinda say 'hey, sorry about the wait'.

I for one am appeased.

The_Scarab on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Houn wrote: »
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    They aren't making extra money

Everyone gets it in a week. You don't have to pay. You just have to wait.

Then what's the point of making Silver users wait?

Oh, yes. To try to coerce them into paying for a Gold Account. Of course this is about money.

Is this ONE thing worth $50 to me? Hell no. The only reason I didn't bother to continue my Gold is because I wasn't using most of it's benefits. Still seems off to me to withhold free content on the hopes that you'll get some account upgrades.

Again, Silver users are NOT waiting, Gold users are getting the patch early.

Look at it that way (ignore PC players, DLC comes to PC vs. consoles at different times all the time.)

Evander on
    edited December 2007
    The problem is that they're not adding a new feature to entice people to upgrade to Gold accounts, they're taking away a feature to try to coerce people to upgrading. The strategy reeks almost as bad as Sony's removing the backwards compatibility in the latest model of the PS3 to try to force people to buy more PS3 games.

There are plenty of people who prefer single player and local multiplayer games. Penalizing them because they don't want to spend $50/year for the ability to play online, a feature they wouldn't use much, if at all, does not create happy customers.

It is NOT about making Silver members want to upgrade.

It IS about making people who are ALREADY Gold members feel like they are getting their money's worth.

Evander on
    edited December 2007
    Just a thought. Is it right to withhold bug fixes from silver accounts? New content like the plasmids is fine I suppose, but bug fixes? One person gets their game fixed because they pay, but another is denied and left with potentially game breaking bugs like video/sound errors and crashes? THAT seems like utter bullshit to me, and it's an aspect nobody seems to be bringing up.

That's because the two aspects are downloaded seperately.

Right now EVERYONE gets a bug fix update automatically when they enter the disc into their console and play it, as long as they are online.

The DLC is the plasmids and content ONLY. Bug fixes have nothing to do with it.

Evander on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    The problem is that they're not adding a new feature to entice people to upgrade to Gold accounts, they're taking away a feature to try to coerce people to upgrading. The strategy reeks almost as bad as Sony's removing the backwards compatibility in the latest model of the PS3 to try to force people to buy more PS3 games.

There are plenty of people who prefer single player and local multiplayer games. Penalizing them because they don't want to spend $50/year for the ability to play online, a feature they wouldn't use much, if at all, does not create happy customers.

It is NOT about making Silver members want to upgrade.

It IS about making people who are ALREADY Gold members feel like they are getting their money's worth.

Well, you have to admit that the former is a nice side effect from the latter.

I think the main problem is that this is the first real instance of DLC being a timed exclusive to Gold members. If I'm understanding the critics correctly, if this had been the policy from the get-go -- like, Kameo and PGR3 DLC had been made available to Gold members a week early at launch, and everyone understood that this was a perk for Gold subscribers -- would you not be as upset? I haven't looked for it yet, but I'd wager language along these lines is somewhere in the TOS when you sign up for a Live Silver account.

I'm not sure exactly where I stand on the issue, but it's a shame that BioShock discussion once again gets derailed from the game to talk about technical matters (find/replace "DLC" with "widescreen FOV"). :(

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)