As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Art & Animation Journey of LEGACY - [[NSFW]- GIF Heavy!]

• Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    @Brolo thank you my dude, 'tis an honor

@Iruka I've been drawing up a scale chart to figure out how to art direct detail density so things look bigger, did it during my taxes >: D hopefully I will be able to sort out scaling for the future and plan out the rest of the scene more methodically

as for now here is some sprite based vegetation, it's causing a lot of graphical errors i took great care in hiding with the camera angle : D

tumblr_oonlrg0r2Y1sg3x5go2_r1_500.gif

• Options
    edited April 2017
    spoiler gifs a little heavier moving the scene around in it
    555e79d2d184fe73a9d2b29d0ee36939.gif
    tumblr_oonlrg0r2Y1sg3x5go3_r1_500.gif

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

you can rehost gifs on imgur, it will automatically make a much smaller gifv that will auto-embed on the forums if you paste the url (just add .gifv on to the end of your file name)

• Options
    @Brolo oh damn that's awesome, is there a way to do this on other sites like twitter/tumblr?

• Options
    tcfko221xkr2.jpg

• Options
    Still refining this character, nice break from all the 3d stuff

tumblr_op19c1HFX01sg3x5go1_540.png
    tumblr_op19c1HFX01sg3x5go2_540.png

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Tinkles detected banned alias
    Reason: sandygone

Numbers do not feel. Do not bleed or weep or hope. They do not know bravery or sacrifice. Love or allegiance. At the very apex of callousness you will find only ones and zeroes.
    sandysane

• Options
    edited April 2017
    6zuxswgomcxa.pngt7h92ziu5ufx.pngsqj04yp781vk.png

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I know it's Samus/Link, but reminds me a lot of a lady War, from Darksiders.

BsX7GATl.jpg

• Options
    @Brolo I'm glad when I make knock offs they don't like photocopies, I totes have to steal some darksiders : D

Here's an update on the roster, you can guess where I stole what from where

tumblr_op349rUIxM1sg3x5go1_r1_400.pngtumblr_op349rUIxM1sg3x5go3_r1_400.pngtumblr_op349rUIxM1sg3x5go2_r1_400.pngtumblr_op349rUIxM1sg3x5go4_r1_400.pngtumblr_op349rUIxM1sg3x5go5_r1_400.png

• Options
    tupy25ozjk90.png

qwtk21ssrmti.png

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Always do studies when I struggle more than I'm comfortable with something

tumblr_opavcfppYx1sg3x5go1_540.jpg

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    The armor sets are really fun, I like the sketches too. Adding different/specific races to your sketches will help you find new hair, body, face types and color schemes for studies. Might be something to consider.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    woah the amount of work in this thread is pretty crazy the variety is also nuts, your like a one man creation machine

• Options
    edited May 2017
    @Iruka I definitely got a lot more interesting variety letting google take me to india, the clothing is something I really want to incorporate into a design, it's so different and interesting, just accidentally opened up a whole new world for myself : o

@SeveredHead tanks dude, I really want to direct a team one day so I diversify a lot, I really want to talk on everyones level and get involved, not just treat people like hammers and nails, I'm also terrible at focusing on a single thing for long amounts of time and burnout fast, it's definitely something I'm learning to deal with

Mixing in more ogre blood

tumblr_ope9tdbMPI1sg3x5go3_r1_500.jpg
    tumblr_ope9tdbMPI1sg3x5go1_500.jpgtumblr_ope9tdbMPI1sg3x5go4_r1_500.jpg

Been trying to experiment screwing around with proportions, it's teaching me a lot about the uncanny valley and where it lies between realism/cartoony and how it affects appeal and perception.

If I want to make a character with an abnormally long neck, if it's cartoony no problem, but realistic? I have to establish some kind of real world connection with the design that buffers the valley i.e.

uhhs9trqe0zc.jpgyfv111wwtxtk.jpg

Something else I learned was where you can add musculature to a woman without losing too much feminity, which turns out to be the core/hips/legs i.e. feminine muscular silhouettes are bottom heavy and masculine ones are top heavy. Which is why above I've focused on thicker legs. It seems so obvious now, but I sure as hell missed a few times.

xjosxk97z6g4.pngfxcbqrb9lqf1.gif

I'll be doing a study on toned legs soon enough to ferment this, for now I've been reverting some of the weird experiments in anatomy I've made such as:

wnyvh47ivua4.gif0nnr1kxcfxyq.png

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    65fbb17b36b33058c81c921849894edc.png
    tumblr_opnvdui5X61sg3x5go1_1280.png
    tumblr_opnvdui5X61sg3x5go3_1280.png

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    that top heavy vs bottm heavy thing makes a lot of sense, well done

• Options
    Love it. Going back to page 1 of this thread is insane, there's no way I would have thought it would be going this way, but the latest shit is super fun.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    aaaaaaaaa forgot to dump my progress here
    tumblr_oq88m2G4ML1sg3x5go1_500.pngtumblr_oq88m2G4ML1sg3x5go2_r1_500.png
    tumblr_oq88m2G4ML1sg3x5go3_r3_500.pngtumblr_oq88m2G4ML1sg3x5go4_r1_500.png

tumblr_oqs5xdxit91sg3x5go6_r1_1280.png
    tumblr_oqs5xdxit91sg3x5go4_r1_1280.png

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    Ah!! cute mushrooms. I cant way to see this stuff come together.

• Options
    oh god there's too much on these texture maps I think I'll stop adding to these flower variations about here for the 3D side of things

tumblr_oqs5xdxit91sg3x5go2_r1_1280.pngtumblr_oqs5xdxit91sg3x5go1_r1_1280.png

• Options
    edited June 2017
    let's see what I can do with what I've made so far wish me luck

tumblr_oqs5xdxit91sg3x5go5_r5_1280.pngtumblr_oqs5xdxit91sg3x5go7_r1_1280.png

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    I mean, I've seen less variety in decent games, so I feel like this is a great start.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    @Iruka you're probably right, it's making things more difficult trying to find a use for everything, there were some pretty wonky color balance issues with the grass when I first brought it in, lost about 3/4's of the texture map to make it work with my moss map, the good news is I fixed the DX11 ambient lights so I can get some proper dark shadows now

tumblr_or4p2iOhQq1sg3x5go1_1280.gif

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    MightyhogMightyhog Registered User regular
    The studies and character work from May are so appealing! I'm so thankful you share your references and thought process.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    @Mightyhog oh geez no one's ever said my designs have appeal before, feels good man. Feel like I've reached a milestone

tumblr_or4p2iOhQq1sg3x5go2_r1_1280.gif
    tumblr_or4p2iOhQq1sg3x5go3_r1_500.gif

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    got some dirt maps in and more vegetation still no flowers D:

tumblr_or4p2iOhQq1sg3x5go5_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_or4p2iOhQq1sg3x5go4_r1_540.gif

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    I mean, not for nothing but I'd want to run around that little area. Looks good so far.

Are the odd textures in the middle of the pillar a broken map? I assume the more even checker patterns are ready to be textured? Texturing things in 3D was always beyond me. it seemed tedious.

• Options
    Iruka wrote: »
    I mean, not for nothing but I'd want to run around that little area. Looks good so far.

Are the odd textures in the middle of the pillar a broken map? I assume the more even checker patterns are ready to be textured? Texturing things in 3D was always beyond me. it seemed tedious.

oh they havent been uv'd yet, just a textured shader slapped on so its all wonky, you'll know when it's textured properly ;D because ill be all like "look i textured it, isnt it pretty!"

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I've officially moved to UE4

suddenly fire
    tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go3_r1_500.gif
    tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go1_250.png

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    lighting is a lot of fun, it's really versatile in UE4 lots of levers to tweak almost anything

tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go4_r1_500.gif

LegacyGame on
  • Options
    That light is looking pretty nice! I almost feel bad for the mushrooms.

• Options
    @Iruka I was thinking of giving mushrooms buffing properties like from everyones favorite plumbing simulator, like if you eat a red mushroom things get a little hot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Options
    tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go1_r1_540.jpg
    tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go3_r2_540.gif
    tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go2_r1_400.gif
    tumblr_orf47hvyx51sg3x5go4_r2_400.gif

• Options
    ayyyy I got some dirt going
    tumblr_orkydvfQrC1sg3x5go1_500.png
    tumblr_orkydvfQrC1sg3x5go2_500.png

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Unreal lets you paint with 3d objects like that?

How does it randomize?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Unreal lets you paint with 3d objects like that?

How does it randomize?

It's layer blending, plugging the textures and normal maps into a thingie that modulates how much and where they show up. It's not random but has multiple layers of the same texture in a single material then the UV's are scaled up and the detail drops off based on camera draw distance so it blends into the BG.

You know UE4 is strong af when nintendo launches a series of flagship games with it!

• Options
    haven't posted animation in a while, got the urge

• Options
    I has an update, no mouth or cutaway shot but i got the body mechanics down

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    Love the stuff in this thread!! Makes me want to crack open an engine!