As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[5E OOC] Before the Darkness - "Who Watches the Poopmen"

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Total cash left is 69 GP.

Nice.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i got a sword, a bow, an explorer's pack, a dog, i'm not really sure what else a girl needs.

• Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    i got a sword, a bow, an explorer's pack, a dog, i'm not really sure what else a girl needs.

Healing potions are 50 GP each. Definitely worth getting a couple, unless you're saving for something big.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    i actually have about 5? i figure with AC 16 and a cleric that should last at least a delve.

I should buy a boat.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Platemail ain't gonna pay for itself my friends.

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Healing potions are 50 GP each. Definitely worth getting a couple, unless you're saving for something big.

You can rarely go wrong packing a couple bottles of alchemists fire.
    Or a spare dagger or two. Could be handy if you break the sword or just to look cool on character doodles or if you come across some unarmed potential minions.
    Did you remember armor?

see317 wrote: »

You can rarely go wrong packing a couple bottles of alchemists fire.
    Or a spare dagger or two. Could be handy if you break the sword or just to look cool on character doodles or if you come across some unarmed potential minions.
    Did you remember armor?

the answer to most of that is "i'm a sorcerer" though a dagger might be useful.

If you can't solve your basic needs with Firebolt as a sorcerer then you aren't improvising hard enough.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I can do supplementary healing as a ranger, probably more useful before a rest if I have a couple casts to spare

edit: assuming I take cure wounds, that is

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    For starting wealth (besides the 500gp) and total HP, are we going with a fixed average? Or do you want us to roll?

Miss me? Find me on:

@Rainfall Next question: where the hell do I find potions/magic items/etc. at in the books? Because I've poured through the books and only found artifacts. :|

Miss me? Find me on:

Dubh wrote: »
    @Rainfall Next question: where the hell do I find potions/magic items/etc. at in the books? Because I've poured through the books and only found artifacts. :|

Page 150 in the DMG

Okay, so I don't know if I had a preview version or what because I looked up another source and found it right where you said it was.

So, thank you!

Miss me? Find me on:

hey, here's my character

Her name is Auraj. She is sneaky and wise.

Miss me? Find me on:

@iguanacus can I take a peek at your character sheet? Just reviewing everyone's stuff.

As best I can tell, the only character wearing armor is gonna be our Cleric, everyone else is just real thick-skinned.

Sure thing. Still working on a couple details like the name and a more specific physical description and the money isn't final.

BIg Blue Guy

finally a party with no fear of rust monsters.

Speaking of Rust Monsters, how challenging do you all prefer your D&D to be?

My default with my IRL group tends to end up with a fatality or at least some missing limbs but I don't want to turn the dials too hard if you aren't into it.

I'm less into explicit challenge, and way more into roleplaying

but if a challenge leads to good-ass roleplaying, then I'm all for it

Miss me? Find me on:

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    As long as it doesn't feel like your goal is to grind our characters down, I'm fine with a little challenge.

Also sorry I haven't gotten that sheet done yet...I'll have one for you tonight.

if anyone else wants to share their character sheet I'd love to take a look at it

not for critique or anything, I'm just curious about your characters!

Miss me? Find me on:

Here is my background so far for Vorlen P. Solarus, Elven Necromancer
    The Solarus family is well known at the temple of Amaunator, The Keeper of the Eternal Sun. They regularly tithe, they attend sermons, and they spread the good word of the Law to family and friends. Vorlen was forced to attend these services from a young age, and grew to despise them, then the entire following. Once he'd reached an age of independence, he stopped worshiping altogether, making excuses to avoid visiting the temple with his family. In his fervent rejection of the sun god, he found himself associating with a group of seedy folks who taught him the basics of necromancy, which Vorlen loved for its contrary nature to his upbringing.

edited May 2017
    Rainfall wrote: »
    iguanacus can I take a peek at your character sheet? Just reviewing everyone's stuff.

As best I can tell, the only character wearing armor is gonna be our Cleric, everyone else is just real thick-skinned.

I did a drawing of Tusk with a codpiece made out of a skull, does that count as armor?

I don't know whose skull, just some guy.
    finally a party with no fear of rust monsters.

At least, not until level 4, when I take the Tavern Brawler feat and can sub my humongous orc knuckles for my sword in a pinch.

As far as lethality goes... this guy is sturdy, but he's not the most fine-tuned numbercrunch beast that I could have made. And while I am wise in the ways of the game, my character is kind of a dumbass who will not be an especially receptive vessel for all my metagame skills. If he dies, I won't be too heartbroken, and I've got a ludicrously deep queue of potential replacements. But on the other hand, I like this character, and would like to experience more of his story than has had a chance to come out in his two convention 1-shots and 3.5 adventure league sessions he's seen so far.

So, you know, don't take it too easy, but don't go all Tomb of Horrors on us.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
    How strict are we playing spell preparation? As written, you have to choose x number of spells and those are your spells until you go through the process of switching in new ones. How I normally play is I will just use whatever spells are available at that spell level because I'm bad at determining what I'll need ahead of time in an adventure.

edited May 2017
    In terms of adventuring backstory and how Tusk wound up with you folks, I imagine he saw a notice in a tavern or something, showed up with his Drum Kit, was told "No, a band of adventurers", and was all "Oh cool, happens all the time, I brought my sword too just in case." And then he demonstrated his ability to perform various feats of strength, endurance, and high-spirited mayhem, and whoever is in charge of this crew offered him a share on the condition that he keep all that business pointed at the bad guys.

Here's his story, more or less:
    Tusk's parents were all "GET A JOB" and he was like "I have a job!", but they were all "YOUR DRUM CAREER IS NOT A JOB YOU USELESS LUMP", so we was like "Yeah, OK, stop hassling me, dang!" He heard that being a Shaman was a pretty good deal where you mostly hang out in caves and eat psychedelic mushrooms, so he got himself signed on as an apprentice. But then on his very first Dream Journey he accidentally came back possessed by the GREAT MAD BOAR SPIRIT, who uses his body as a vessel to release its LIMITLESS WRATH into the material world. Tusk got lucky and was able to bargain with the GREAT MAD BOAR SPIRIT that Tusk gets to make sure first that all that WRATH is happening some place where the Cops won't get too bent out of shape about it. So now he does the wandering adventurer thing as a way to find appropriate venues to let the GREAT MAD BOAR SPIRIT off its leash. But that's just a side gig, the Drummer thing is going to take off any day now.

Here's his numbers and such:
    Name: TUSK
    Class: BARBARIAN
    Race: HALF-ORC
    Alignment: CHAOTIC GOOD
    Background: OUTLANDER

Height: 6'6"
    Weight: 260 lbs.
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Brown
    Skin: Green-Grey
    Religion: MORTAL AVATAR OF THE GREAT MAD BOAR SPIRIT (and observes some seasonal holy days of both Pelor and Gruumsh)

HP: 35
    AC: 15 (17 w/ Shield)
    Initiative: +2
    Passive Perception: 12
    Size: Medium
    Speed: 30

Str: 17
    Dex: 14
    Con: 16
    Int: 8
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 8

Good Saves: Strength, Constitution

Proficient Skills: Athletics, Intimidate, Nature, Perception, Survival
    Tool Proficiencies: Musical Instrument (Drums)
    Languages: Common, Orc, Goblin

Weapons & Armor carried: Greatsword, Handaxes (x2), Javelins (x4), Warhammer, Shield

Traits:
    - Darkvision 60 Feet
    - Relentless Endurance: When dropped to 0 HP, may drop to 1 HP instead. 1/long rest.
    - Savage Attacks: Roll an extra damage die appropriate to weapon type on a Critical Hit.
    - Wanderer: Excellent memory for maps & geography, can provide food & water for up to 5 people a day by hunting.
    - RAGE: 3 times/long rest, 1 minute duration, may flip out and kill people. +2 bonus damage, advantage on Strength checks/saves, resistance to bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage, some tactical restrictions to sustain.
    - Unarmored Defense: While unarmored, AC = Dex Mod + Con Mod + Shield
    - Reckless Attacks: May gain Advantage on attack roll, but by doing so grant Advantage to anyone who attacks me for a round. (THIS IS MY TAUNT. IF I'M USING THIS, PLEASE HEAL ME AFTER.)
    - Danger Sense: Advantage on Dexterity Throws against effects I can see.
    - Spirit Seeker: May cast Beast Sense and Speak With Animals as Rituals.
    - Totem Spirit - Bear (BOAR!): When raging, gain Damage Resistance vs. all types except Psychic!

If you really want a look at the whole deal, here's the sheet. Just don't look at the 2nd page, thanks. Aside from the Additional Features & Traits box if you like, which is where I've got my whole build up to 20 planned, because I have entirely too much free time. The rest of Page 2 is where all the backstory stuff is, and while there aren't any secrets of the Party Disrupting variety, there are some details of his history that he doesn't make public, that I think I'd have more fun if I got to reveal organically as the story goes on. Also, it's an embarrassingly dense wall of text, and I already feel bad enough about making Rainfall read it.

Desert Leviathan on
    D&D Volleyball: Chainshirts vs. Skins

Miss me? Find me on:

godmode wrote: »
    How strict are we playing spell preparation? As written, you have to choose x number of spells and those are your spells until you go through the process of switching in new ones. How I normally play is I will just use whatever spells are available at that spell level because I'm bad at determining what I'll need ahead of time in an adventure.

but that's part of the challenge. and one of the points of difference between clerics and wizards.

don't sweat it, godmode, you'll be fine :)

Miss me? Find me on:

I know the rules are there for a reason, but I think it's more narratively interesting to be able to pull out obscure spells for super specific scenarios that I would never choose otherwise.

godmode wrote: »
    I know the rules are there for a reason, but I think it's more narratively interesting to be able to pull out obscure spells for super specific scenarios that I would never choose otherwise.

I'm gonna lecture a bit because I like rules, feel free to skip it, tl;dr you gotta prepare your spells.

The rules are there for a really big reason, it's literally the only thing limiting the Wizard's narrative control once they lay hands on some scrolls or enemy spellbooks to crib from.
    Another thing that's narratively interesting is the Wizard not literally always having the solution at hand and having to work with limited resources, skeleton improvisation etc.
    It's also a way to protect the niches of other characters, since a spell is usually the fastest way of dealing with a specific obstacle.

You get to have 6 spells prepared out of 10 in your spellbook. The Sorcerer has 4 total spells known at this level, and the discrepancy gets worse as time goes on(to a staggering 25 prepared out of a minimum 44 in spellbook vs 15 active & known at level 20.) If you want to be flexible out of combat, just prepare less combat spells and lean on your cantrips a little more for damage.

That's fine, just wanted to make sure we're on the same page.

Are we on for this thursday? When we do meet-up, will it be a session 0 or are we launching straight into it?

Miss me? Find me on:

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Man, my D&D group just fell apart :(

Commiserate with me!

Dubh wrote: »
    Are we on for this thursday? When we do meet-up, will it be a session 0 or are we launching straight into it?

I believe everyone is good for this Thursday.
    We'll do some session 0 stuff and then get started, maybe run a quick intro encounter.

Injured my wrist yesterday, so typing is a little difficult ATM but I'm still in for tomorrow night.

we're doing this on voice chat, right?

Miss me? Find me on:

I'm cool with either. I should probably experiment with voice settings on my laptop tonight though... I almost never do voice chat outside of the playstation.

roll20 works with VA, but if anyone has a discord server that would be neat (I need to get one setup myself)

as for voice settings, shouldn't be too hard to setup

Miss me? Find me on:

Gonna have to put my headset on charge tonight.

Getting those butterflies in my stomach before I start a new campaign. It's all fresh and new, like a first date.

wireless headsets are so good

but the expense sucks

Miss me? Find me on: