As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Local Comics Shop Appreciation Thread

2»

• Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I don't really have a local store. There is a store in Bloomsburg that I some times go to, but it has wierd hours and stuff.

I used to go to a shop in Elizabethtown... I think it was called Graphic Arts Too or something. Wierd little place. If you don't have a pull list, forget about finding any singles. A lot of TPBs. The owner is not terribly accomadating. Almost no back issues at all.

The Comic Store in Lancaster is really nice. Tons of current releases, tons of back issues, lots of tpbs and ogns. When I move down there, that is going to be my place.
    man, i didn't know that douglas lived THAT close to me.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    BoutrosBoutros Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have two comic shops in my area.

The first, Bosco's, is the bigger shop that has multiple locations around town. The one that has my pull list is big, well organized, and fairly nice. The employees are pretty hit or miss though, some can be cool, but there are a few that are very annoying. They have a decent selection of back issues, but their trade area is large and diverse.

The other, A-1, is pretty small. They usually only have one employee working there at any given time. The store is almost hideously cramped though, mainly with tons of back issue boxes. They have back issues like no other, everywhere. Unfortunately, their organization is completely unintelligible. If you ask an employee they can usually find something specific, but it is very hard to find anything on your own. I don't think they have a very good selection of trades though. Or maybe they do, and I've just never seen it because it is hidden behind long boxes. I usually only go to this shop if Bosco's didn't have it because it is in the crappy mall in the crappy part of town and not that close to my house.

Boutros on
  • Options
    SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:
    And I think the general rule for B&N is to have at least 400% more manga than American comics. The one at school has like 4 shelves of US trades and 16 shelves of manga.
    I don't think I ever realized the degree to which Japanese media has become popular in America until I went to a B&N and saw something like that.

It's funny how no matter where you go, or what time you do, there will always be at least 1 kid sitting in the manga aisle reading something.

Sadly, the manga aisle is usually right next to where they put the trades, and its always a hassle to have to step over them when they won't move.

Skullo on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I go to a place called Comic Swap. The staff is friendly and the music that's playing is always good. The selection is also fine, and they'll give you a discount on anything you order or pre-order through them.

They're really cool guys too, but I find it hard to get into conversations with people while they're at their jobs.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Skullo wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    And I think the general rule for B&N is to have at least 400% more manga than American comics. The one at school has like 4 shelves of US trades and 16 shelves of manga.
    I don't think I ever realized the degree to which Japanese media has become popular in America until I went to a B&N and saw something like that.

It's funny how no matter where you go, or what time you do, there will always be at least 1 kid sitting in the manga aisle reading something.

Sadly, the manga aisle is usually right next to where they put the trades, and its always a hassle to have to step over them when they won't move.

I'm an ass about it sometimes. I'll just be all "move so I can get to the good comics", and he gets all mad because I interrupted his Naruto trade that he is to lazy to buy.

I've also had parents ask me about manga titles for their kids, to which I reply "Oh, I don't like [whatever series] that much, but there's a great series called Runaways you should check out".

I don't even work at the fucking Borders.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    watchthesparkswatchthesparks Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I'm pretty lucky, Midtown Comics is my LCS. :lol:
    Great selection, and for every $100 you spend you get $20 free. You never know when it's coming, it's so great to go up to the register and find out your books are free this week.

My hometown LCS is Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash in Red Bank, NJ. Pretty cool, but on Wednesdays you have to get there early, a lot of stuff will sell out. Plus the store is always full of people hoping to run into Kevin Smith and bothering the employees with questions about Clerks and Mallrats.

watchthesparks on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My LCS is in a mall near me, Showcase Comics.

Apparently, there's a bunch of them in Philly. They're really good, and the owner is totally obsessed with Warhammer, and is playing it all the time with employees/customers/anyone who walks in. The same people have worked there since I started going there, so it's always good to stop by and know they know who I am and can get my pull box with the simplest ease.

The selection is pretty damn great, and I am saving up now to pick up most of JLI, as they have a shitton of it in their back issues.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Comics Kingdom was my haunt at school. Only in Baltimore would you have a belly-dancing store inside a comic book store. Sometimes I'd hit up Atomic Comics for backup. Nowadays its Aftertime Comics in Alexandria. The store is shit and the size of a large closet, but they're always stocked with whatever I want.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006

Apparently, there's a bunch of them in Philly.

What mall? I've never seen a Showcase store.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Isn't there one in King of Prussia mall, on the second level? Or is that another store?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Isn't there one in King of Prussia mall, on the second level? Or is that another store?

I have been to King of Prussia once, for the Apple store opening, because I wanted to win an iMac.

I didn't win, though.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Keith wrote:

Granite Run Mall.

It's in Media.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    My g/f would kill me if she found me hanging out at the local comic book shop (Curious Comic's), which is a shame because I do love going in and just drinking in the goodies that drip from every wall.

Plus I always leave that store with less money. ALWAYS.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Toronto has an awesome shop, Silver Snail.

How awesome you ask?

I went to both of the Ask Kevin Smith sessions he had here in TO, and at one of them someone asked when he planned to open a Secret Stash here in Toronto. His response? "You don't need one, you have something better, the Snail."

silversnail.jpg

Yeah, it's awesome.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I always go to this one Graham Crackers comic store over Borders, simply because the people there are fucking awesome and they always have a good stock. For the record, the nearest Borders is literally across the street, but I have to take a train to Graham Crackers.

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    CerriusCerrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I go to Cosmic Monkey Comics here in Portland. The place is packed full of comics, but its never cluttered or hard to walk around in. Its also a family friendly place so the staff are nice and the music isn't blairing. It would be a good place to just hang out at for a few hours.

Cerrius on
    [SIGPIC]image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5578&dateline=1219903129[/SIGPIC]