As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Who, in the loving light of God, wouldn't at the very least go on the internet and find settings that someone had calibrated for their set?

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The kinda shit you see with people taking over factory settings or stretching the image so they don't have any black bars... I'd be surprised if even 10% of new TV owners did much calibration beyond, "I want more colours/contrast/volume/smoothing!"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I never calibrated my set, and if I did I factory reset it a little bit ago and didnt tweak any of the settings. I should probably look into calibrating, but 1) I figured different ambient light would lead to different calibration settings, and 2) I've never thought my sets picture was that bad.

I'm sure most sets look pretty good out of the box. When it comes to HDR, though, my impression is that out of the box you won't see a huge difference, at least not a system-selling one. As such, I do think HDR will remain something for AV freaks, mostly, whereas something like the jump from SD to HD was idiot-proof and didn't require additional tweaking.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    What's a good price for a 46 to 50 inch 1080p TV nowadays? Mine just died (well, most likely just its capacitors did) and I want to figure out if getting it repaired is worth it versus just buying a brand new one.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Huh, what I had read about HDR was that it was the noticeable, idiot-proof jump in quality that 4k promise to buy. I thought a lot of the calibration stuff should become less of an issue with good HDR content, because the content was just able to specify exactly what it needed and how that TV could do it best.

Unsurprisingly, I'm now confused by TV bullshit.

JihadJesus on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    What's a good price for a 46 to 50 inch 1080p TV nowadays? Mine just died (well, most likely just its capacitors did) and I want to figure out if getting it repaired is worth it versus just buying a brand new one.

you can find 40" for under 200 on really good deals so probably 200-300 depending on how high quality you want to get. slickdeals or bensbargains usually have a lot of deals for tv's in that size and price range.

JihadJesus wrote: »
    Huh, what I had read about HDR was that it was the noticeable, idiot-proof jump in quality that 4k promise to buy. I thought a lot of the calibration stuff should become less of an issue with good HDR content, because the content was just able to specify exactly what it needed and how that TV could do it best.

Unsurprisingly, I'm now confused by TV bullshit.
    Perhaps others here have a more informed opinion on HDR; I mainly know Samsung's implementation for the KS8000 series, and there you definitely have to fiddle with settings to get HDR to pop, added to which they're the kind of settings that also depend on whether you've got the TV in a dark room or a moderately lit one (or a room where light levels changes frequently).

Definitely don't believe the ads for HDR, because they're pretty much bullshit from what I can tell, in particular the ones that show you a split screen with SDR on one side and HDR on the other. These ads pretend that SDR looks muted and lacks contrast, which is rubbish; a few years earlier they'd have the same pictures claiming that they show the difference between their high-contrast SDR TV and the competition's low-contrast SDR TVs. Similarly, the demos they have at shops tend to be set up to make SDR look worse than it is, and they exaggerate what you'll get out of HDR in practice.

HDR's definitely very nice when used well, but IMO it isn't an out-of-the-box thing, and I frankly don't think it'll be a huge game changer. It may well become standard, but I don't see it playing much of a role in future-proofing your TV any time soon.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Turned on my Vizio that I rarely use for the first time in a while today to a message about turning off them recording viewing data.

I then went it turned it off, the funny thing is though I had already turned it off a long time ago, and had even double checked it when someone here posted about them losing a lawsuit about having to inform everyone better.

So apparently when they did the update to inform everyone the assholes defaulted it back to "on".

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Do they even make TVs with build in DVD/blu-ray players in them anymore? Looking for a small 27-32" TV for the bedroom that is going on a wall mount. I don't want to have to use any shelving for a disc player, just have the TV up there.

Any recommendations?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Quick look on Amazon doesn't show any of the big brands doing it anymore, just the no names like ProScan.

Ended up taking the HDR advice and buying a Vizio E55-E2. Should be setting it up on Thursday.

In case anyone is still looking around for options, I thought that this Eurogamer review of the LG OLED B6 sounded pretty good.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Is this the right place to ask about projectors? I'm finally nearing finishing my basement and I want to go for the full home theater experience with a ceiling suspended projector and I'm not sure how to go picking one out.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Basically, if you have a $2k budget, the Sony VPL-HW45ES. If your budget is less, the Benq-HT2050. Other typical options are Epson and JVC.

http://thewirecutter.com/leaderboard/projectors/

a5ehren on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I think my TV's HDMI ports are all busted. I still get sound from my chromecast and PS4 but the picture's scrambled all to hell. Anyone have experience with this? It's a Samsung UN65KU6300.

Edit: Seems to have fixed itself. Hmmmmm.

Quid on
    edited April 2017
    Quid wrote: »
    I think my TV's HDMI ports are all busted. I still get sound from my chromecast and PS4 but the picture's scrambled all to hell. Anyone have experience with this? It's a Samsung UN65KU6300.

Edit: Seems to have fixed itself. Hmmmmm.

Do you have old cables? Sometimes the cable->connector soldering gets wonky from stress, especially if you have a sharp bend near the end.

a5ehren on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    My current tv (8 year old 720p) has developed horizonal lines.
    Any thoughts on this?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-55-class-54-6-diag--led-1080p-with-chromecast-built-in-hdtv-black/4807300.p?skuId=4807300

Mostly just Netflix and a bit of gaming here and there

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Basically, if you have a $2k budget, the Sony VPL-HW45ES. If your budget is less, the Benq-HT2050. Other typical options are Epson and JVC.

Are there any specific things I should be looking for?

Got my Vizio E55-E2 set up. Yeah, that's a pretty massive step up from my 9 year old 37 inch set.

I'm looking for a 50 foot'ish HDMI HDCP 2.2 4k cable, any suggestions?

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    a5ehren wrote: »

Are there any specific things I should be looking for?

Throw distance, Throw Distance, Throw Distance.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Get a measuring tape out figure out where you want your projector, because it'll suck to spend 2 grand on a projector and end up with a 50" screen because you image size you want requires the projector to sit twice the length of your room. To use the calculator, simply find the projector you're interested in and it'll do the calculations for you and spit out the image size for the distance you want your projector to be at.

Also, screens are rather important. It's easy to make one on a budget, but if you want something in a box that's a no brainer to put together then you'll be good with a silver theater screen off of amazon.

As for the projector themselves, it's hard to say. It all comes down to budget and what kind of room you have to work with.

What going on with TV's right now? Seems every Target, Best Buy and Walmart are clearing out, or cleared out of TVs

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    What going on with TV's right now? Seems every Target, Best Buy and Walmart are clearing out, or cleared out of TVs

Generally summer isn't a huge TV-selling time, so I'm guessing they'll be running down stock until the end of Q2, then start ramping up with Back-to-school into football/Black Friday etc.

The new models announced at CES are starting to come into stock, too. These are the actual "oh we need to get rid of last year's inventory" clearances.

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    My current TV has developed a blue line down one side so I'm thinking about upgrading to a 4K TV about 55" .

I have like a lot of old consoles and I'm not really finding any that have the option for composite and component inputs. Is there any TVs that have them built in still? I know I might have to pay more and that's ok.

Barring that is there a converter I can buy that has no lag?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    We got a new Sony a couple of weeks ago that still has component and SCART inputs, from looking around they seem to be one of few manufacturers that still have them.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Can I not get a "dumb" TV anymore? One that has a great screen and other features but without all the apps I don't need? Seems like everything is a "smart" TV. I already have a PS4 and a HTPC hooked up to the TV, I don't need those things. If they're all "smart" now and isn't really affecting the price then I guess that's okay. Just seems wasted to have a pack in I'll never use.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The Vizio E65 I picked up takes the "dumb" tv idea to the extreme. It is effectively a giant monitor with built in wifi and chromecast.

edited May 2017
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Can I not get a "dumb" TV anymore? One that has a great screen and other features but without all the apps I don't need? Seems like everything is a "smart" TV. I already have a PS4 and a HTPC hooked up to the TV, I don't need those things. If they're all "smart" now and isn't really affecting the price then I guess that's okay. Just seems wasted to have a pack in I'll never use.

It adds nothing to the price if you're buying a higher-end model anyway. And AFAIK, the built-in apps are usually the only way to get "4K"/HDR streams from Netflix/Amazon unless the PS4 apps have been updated recently.

The 2016 Vizios are the closest thing on that front, but even they are going back to an "app" model with the 2017s.

a5ehren on
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »

I felt the same way before we got our current tv towards the end of last year.

I have only used the PS4 to play blu-rays since getting the TV. Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/Google Play/everything else has all been through the TV apps ever since.

So for the same price I can get a 55" 1080p or a 50" 4k

I do not have anything that can output 4k and probably won't for some time, so I'm leaning towards the 55". Any big reason I should go 50" 4k?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Nope, your instincts are right.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Unless you're a big streaming fan. 4k content on Netflix and Amazon looks great, 26th The Grand Tour being one of the prettiest moving picture thingies I've ever seen.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited May 2017
    Probably not that different on a D-series Vizio, though.

a5ehren on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    On a semi-impulse, I ordered a 55" TCL 55S405 for $450. Got a GC from work that covered the whole thing.

Semi because I had been leaning towards TCL to replace my 10yr old 46" Samsung LCD which still works fine (in breaking my back moving it).

Are TCLs still decent? We got a 32" and it's fine, other than the software bring a little slow.

MichaelLC on
    They're fine for the money, especially if you really use the Roku stuff.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Thanks. Yeah I've got a Roku 3? hooked up to the Sammy now, so removing one device will be nice.

Maybe should have spent the extra for one of the P series, but really just don't watch that much TV.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I've got some flickering in one region of my old-ish Vizio set. Almost like just one of the local dimming regions is going out. It doesn't happen all the time, and it seems to happen more frequently when the TV just comes on.

Is there something I should use to troubleshoot, or should I finally take the 4k plunge?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    I've been bitten by the bug again, but this time I'm thinking of going up a tier over what I usually spring for when I do a tv upgrade every 5-6 years.

I'm looking to replace an aging 1080p Panasonic TC-P50S60 that I bought for $500cad with a Sony XBR55X900E (or if the price is right, a 65X900E!). I exclusively use the TV with my fiance for couch PC gaming and Netflix. We game with a controller and I like the idea of having the choice between 4k 60hz and 1080p 120hz. This model seems well reviewed from everything I've seen, the input lag according to what my google-fu tells me is comparable to my current plasma which has never been an issue.

Will I notice a significant increase in colour gamut and black level quality? They've always been two major sticking points on my S60 that I never liked. Color gradients are super obvious and blacks are more grey than anything. I don't expect it to match the quality of a $6,000 ultra high end tv but better than current would be great.

My PC has a GTX 1060 atm feeding 1080p through an active HDMI that's about 25ft long, it routes first to my Onkyo reciever (TX-SR343) then to the TV. This has never been a problem for 1080/60 but will it be able to run 1080/120 or 4k/60? HDR? I'm willing to move the tower to sit beside the TV if it's my only option as I rarely ever sit at the desk anyways but for the sake of keeping the room looking half decent I'd prefer not to change things around.

Varinn on