As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Prey] Mooncrash DLC out now!

SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne.Registered User regular
edited June 2018 in Games and Technology
prey-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-14jun16?$Icon$

Your Mind. The Station. Earth Itself. Nothing is Safe from the Alien Threat.

For PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Gameplay

In Prey, the player controls Morgan Yu while exploring the space station Talos I, in orbit around earth-moon L2, where research into a hostile alien collective called the Typhon is performed. As the Typhon escape confinement, the player uses a variety of weapons and abilities derived from the Typhon to avoid being killed by the aliens while looking to escape the station. The station is presented as an open world to the player, with progression through the world after obtaining key items or abilities similar in nature to a Metroidvania game.

Arkane's Prey is a re-imagining of the original 2006 Prey developed by Human Head Studios. While Prey 2, a sequel to the 2006 game, had been planned, it fell into development hell following transfer of the intellectual property from 3D Realms to Bethesda Softworks, and eventually canceled in 2014. Arkane's version does not use any of the planned sequels assets, and only incorporates the name and the broad theme of the protagonist being hunted by aliens of the previous games. Arkane built Prey as a spiritual sequel to System Shock, providing the player with several potential means of progressing within the game.

Setting

Prey takes place in an alternate timeline where United States President John F. Kennedy survives the assassination attempt in 1963. The failed assassination catalyzes Kennedy to direct more funding into the space program, allowing it to flourish and accelerating the Space Race. Drawn by humans' activity in space, an alien force made up of many different species, collectively called the Typhon, attacks Earth. The United States and the U.S.S.R. band together to fight off and capture the Typhon. Together, they build the space station Kletka (Russian for "cage") to be used as a prison for the Typhon situated in orbit around Earth's moon. The United States eventually takes full ownership after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1964 and reuses Kletka as part of "Project Axiom", research labs atop the prison spaces to study the Typhon and bring advances learned from that to Earth. After the "Pobeg Incident" in 1980 where some scientists aboard the station lost their lives to the Typhon, along with geopolitical instability at the time, the United States shuttered Project Axiom, leaving the captive Typhon alive.

By 2025, the newly-founded TranStar Corporation acquires Kletka and by 2030, has refitted it as Talos I, a fully-operational research laboratory to study the Typhon and develop advances in neuroscience; this leads to the creation of Neuromods that harness the Typhon's physiology to restructure the human brain to grant the user new abilities (including superhuman ones).[8] TranStar grows financially successful from sales of Neuromods on Earth. At the time of the game's setting, about 2035, TranStar has further expanded the station to make for suitable living quarters for its staff that spend up to two years on the station between regular shuttles to Earth.

Because of the numerous agencies that operated and expanded Talos I over the decades, the station includes a large mix of architectural designs, ranging from retrofuturism that was popular in 1960s America, to brutalist styles that were common in the Soviet Bloc in the mid-20th century, to opulent Art Deco put in place by the wealthy TranStar executives.

Official Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKTZGflqrc

header.jpg?t=1528733043

Prey Mooncrash DLC

Fight overwhelming odds to escape a secret TranStar moon base where the enemies you encounter, the hazards you face, the goals you complete, and the loot you collect are different each time you play. With changing environments as dangerous as they are dynamic, the Mooncrash campaign for Prey will offer a fun, infinitely replayable challenge to test even the most skilled players.

Story:
In Prey: Mooncrash, TranStar’s secret moon base stopped transmitting shortly after the events of Prey. Now Peter, a hacker stationed aboard a spy satellite tasked with intercepting TranStar communications, must find out why. Trapped and under a ruthless contract with KASMA Corp, Peter’s only hope of ever seeing his family again is uncovering the moon base’s lost secrets.
Features:

Live. Die. Adapt. Escape!
Escape TranStar’s moon base before the Typhon threat takes over. A simple goal, but one with hundreds of viable solutions. In Mooncrash, players will experience an all-new, infinitely replayable, ‘rogue-lite’ campaign with ever-changing enemies, weapons and objectives against a constantly increasing alien threat.

Survive How You Want with Who You Want
Unlock multiple characters as you play, each with their own set of specialized, upgradable skills. Will you forge your path with the resourceful engineer Joan, trade that wrench in for Security Officer Bhatia and his shotgun, or will you choose the frail-but-gifted Andrius and his arsenal of psychic abilities? Prey is about choices, and those choices belong to you.

Search for Secrets, Loot…and a Way Off
Arkane Studios’ talent for detail and story-rich environments comes alive in Mooncrash. As you explore the station, which is the same size and scope of four levels of the original game’s Talos I station, don’t forget to keep your eyes peeled for precious supplies – and, of course, Mimics.

New Challenges, New Solutions
The Typhon threat has returned with familiar foes and tough new enemies, each armed with a unique set of deadly characteristics. Use the full power of the arsenal at your disposal, including popular weapons and abilities from Prey’s main game, to fight for your life and make a mad dash for your escape.

Prey: Typhon Hunter
Mooncrash also includes the upcoming Typhon Hunter multiplayer update, a tense game of hide and seek between a single survivor and five other players who stalk, hunt, and hide in plain sight as mimics. Typhon Hunter update is expected to release later this summer on all platforms.

Sirialis on

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Played a couple of hours after the midnight digital release, feels a lot like Bioshock in particular, a lot of small details to figure out and explore.

Work is going to be feeling pretty long tomorrow.

My friend already discovered an odd hidden achievement

Very early spoilers
    Get shredded by the rotor blades of the chopper that picks you up in the beginning.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    Just picked it up, going in completely blind because I'm a massive fan of the Dishonored series. Seriously, all I know about this game is you can be male or female, space is involved and maybe some aliens.

Playing on PS4 and I've noticed some obvious control problems. Namely input lag, and my character keeps moving after I've left go of the analog stick. He'll just keep on walking if I don't stop him. Is this just me? Quick Google search shows input lag was a huge problem and was supposed to be fixed with a day one patch, which I've got.

Hoping I don't have to wait to play this.

XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Prop Hunt in Space

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Huh, this game lets you choose the active monitor

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    I am sitting by my back door, waiting for Amazons Own Delivery Service to drop off my game.

Annoying, since my regular post arrived hours ago.

Get a move on, I want to go to space !

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I was waiting on reviews...mostly to see how the PC performance was. But it's tough...I love Arkane and the PS4 demo I played hooked me in ALLLL the right ways.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I was very impressed with the PS4 demo but I'll still wait until it's 20$ or so.

• Options
    It's here ! 60% installed.

To spaaaaaaaaaace !

• Options
    If your favorite aspect of system shock was recycling, boy have I got news for you

Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    I'm just going to throw this out there now: TURN OFF THE MUSIC

the music is good and atmospheric and what not but something just turns super duper creepy in this game and system shock when there's no music playing. give it a try and see

• Options
    Weakness confirmed. Installing Prey remotely from work as we speak.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    PC version has been mostly fine, but stuttering seems to be unfortunately common. I've been having that problem myself. I'm aware of two solutions. If you're using an NVIDIA card, rolling back from the latest driver (which amusingly is game-ready for Prey) helps a lot. You can also lower texture resolution. The high setting introduces consistent stutter for me, whereas medium does not. I also can't tell much of a difference between the two.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    is it just me or is there almost always an issue with NVidia stuff with new games?

• Options
    vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Been playing with a 1060 and with everything set to the highest it can go it's been running at a solid 60.

Only played maybe an hour so far though, really love the atmosphere they're going for.

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Options
    Dashui wrote: »
    PC version has been mostly fine, but stuttering seems to be unfortunately common. I've been having that problem myself. I'm aware of two solutions. If you're using an NVIDIA card, rolling back from the latest driver (which amusingly is game-ready for Prey) helps a lot. You can also lower texture resolution. The high setting introduces consistent stutter for me, whereas medium does not. I also can't tell much of a difference between the two.

Good to know! I ALMOST updated my driver last night. Glad I didn't.

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Hit every inanimate object in the room with a wrench simulator.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    I have a 1070 with a 144hz gsync monitor and the latest update, and the frame rate is super smooth

• Options
    Frei wrote: »
    Hit every duplicate inanimate object in the room with a wrench simulator.

fixed that

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

fixed that

EVERY OBJECT.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options

fixed that

EVERY OBJECT.

I recently did this with something I was pretty sure was mission critical and now I'm wondering what's going to happen after this quest. I'm also wondering what would have happened if i did it earlier.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Turned off that unsettling music for now, its efficient at what it does but fuck off with trying to tense me up all the time.

I'm really liking the athmosphere and the retrofuturism designs.

Sirialis on
  • Options

fixed that

EVERY OBJECT.

YOU'LL BE BUSY IS ALL

• Options
    edited May 2017
    GLOO Cannon is so good at going places you wouldnt think you'd be able to go right away.

For actual combat though? Toy Gun.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I played for about an hour and am now compelled to smash all my dishes so I only have one of each

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I played a bit of the demo and thought it was cool. Not sure if and when I might pick up the full game, but no, I certainly wasn't smacking every goddamn object with my wrench, no ma'am. Wasn't me.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    GLOO Cannon is so good at going places you wouldnt think you'd be able to go right away.

For actual combat though? Toy Gun.

I'm all about the GLOO for combat. Mostly on bigger enemies though. The small, fast ones are tough to hit with it.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    From the demo, this is an "on sale", unless one thing.

In Bioshock, there was a combo of things you could use to become effectively invisible, and wield a wrench akin to Mjolnir's long-lost handyman cousin. Can you be stealth wrenchgod? I see stealth in the tree, but so far it's kind of shitty.

• Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    Turrets are great! Die mimic die!

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They put in the appropriate passcode to your office, so this is a promising start.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Amazon failed me on my prime release day delivery (Again.) So i can't play until late tomorrow.

I can't wait

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    From the demo, this is an "on sale", unless one thing.

In Bioshock, there was a combo of things you could use to become effectively invisible, and wield a wrench akin to Mjolnir's long-lost handyman cousin. Can you be stealth wrenchgod? I see stealth in the tree, but so far it's kind of shitty.

While I dont know the specific answer yet, there are other kind of skills in the game that might have something like that.
    Typhon Alien skills

• Options
    Pro tip - if your inventory is full of alien organ that don't stack, clicking the left stick auto sorts, and stacks them for you. This has saved me a few trips to the recycler.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I looked everywhere after that code for the safe in the beginning, there is a whiteboard that says "Safe Code ...." but the numbers are wiped off.

How to find that code was a bit surprising. (Talos Lobby, early game)
    When you watch that video in your office with yourself talking, that is the same room as the safe is in, you can see the whiteboard on the left side of the screen, it was recorded before the code was wiped off.
    EDIT: Safe code screenshot.
    Th4WC55.jpg

Sirialis on
  • Options
    glimmungglimmung Registered User regular
    The hacking game is designed for analog control. I use my 360 controller during a hack and then switch back to M+K. Seems like kind of a crap decision on the devs part.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Had no intentions of buying this, but I picked it up on a whim yesterday. I'm liking it so far, seems like a cool mix of BioShock and Deus Ex. Though, the odd choice not to include aim assist for the console versions is rather annoying, but not too awful yet. Combat Burst helps, and it's just easier to wrench mimics anyways.

This is also the first time I've ever said "Hmmm... I don't trust that toilet paper." while playing a game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I wonder if I walked into a room I shouldn't have.
    after watching the video in your lobby office, you get a key card to enter the trauma room where you have a side quest.

One man sized mimic was in there and it promptly threw a bunch of fire and the gun turret I was carrying about fairly quickly.

I called it there as it was late and there is only so many times I can find myself jumping due to some douche alien going SURPRISE

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    I don't know if anyone has noticed, but mimics give off a very particular sound when they're near.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Does anyone know if it is possible to save the humans that turned into named Phantoms?

I'm betting that you can at least save -
    The mindcontrolled humans, there is one in the Trauma Ward.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it is possible to save the humans that turned into named Phantoms?

I'm betting that you can at least save -
    The mindcontrolled humans, there is one in the Trauma Ward.

There's an achievement for helping a person with the problem in your spoiler, but I assume the others are too far gone.