As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2017 - Pinny Pals Community Panel

Kiki Kiki Lady Moogle HatBoston, MARegistered User regular
Hey all! With Pinter slowly creeping up on us, I thought it’d be best to get a head start on the planning for the Pinny Pals Community West panel to keep the hype alive. I know it’s super early, but hey, early birds… get places on the panel.

We want to keep the tradition of community-driven panels about our shared hobby going by combining both new ideas, while also doing a gentle nod to some tried and true Pinny Pals Community staples (think Pinny Pals etiquette, how much it costs, when the Community Meetups are, displays, etc).

First, we have to choose a panel leader who will choose the main topic of the panel and will (with the assistance of others) have final say on who is on the panel. Similar to choosing the panel leader, anyone who wants to be on the panel can submit their idea of what they want to present on, why they think they'll do a good job and how it fits in with the main topic of the panel.
The panel leader, with the input of others in a sort of committee-type setting, will choose the panelists based on their submissions. After that point it's up to the leader and the panelists to decide upon a theme, get their submission in by the deadline, and create and execute their presentation at PAX West.

Because this is just an interest thread, we at this time would like to gauge the community’s interest and involvement.

Things also to note:
- You may be asked to submit an audio or a visual file (think Youtube video) recording of yourself, explaining your topic or position on the panel.
- You may be asked to submit an additional written proposal for your topic or position on the panel.
- Know that the ultimate submission for your position or idea will be at the beginning of June, as everyone needs time to select the panelists, have them work on the slides, and collect themselves for submission for the panel at West.
- Please advised that because this is group effort, you must be fully on board to give a solid chunk of your time towards this and that you are 100% sure you will be attendance at PAX West and the Pinny Pals Panel.

Best of luck to everyone. Let's hear your ideas! :)

• EmilieEmilie =^.^= Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Yes hello I am interested in panel.

I've only been in the community for about a year now so would be happy to address newbie-related stuffs (how to get into it, the best deals on pins, why they should save themselves now, how to manage the anxieties about being new--sidenote: maybe anxiety-related stuff could be a topic of it's own: how to manage it during community events and when you're new, how this community helps, etc. It's a bit of a heavy topic but it could be made into something fun--, etc.). I'd be happy to do another topic as well (I'll think more about topic ideas in the upcoming weeks).

I am 100% going to west (it's my "home" PAX and my airbnb is already booked). I'm more than happy (and prefer) to do a lot of the work before June. I also have speaking/presentation experience since I'm a teacher. :3

I am, however, not interested in leading the panel. I have never done a PAX panel before so I don't know what it entails, and I'm sure leading and organizing everyone is a lot of work. I just want to help out and talk about something fun!

/end application

Emilie on
  • adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Wooo, West feels closer already!
    Kiki wrote: »
    You may be asked to submit an audio or a visual file (think Youtube video) recording of yourself, explaining your topic or position on the panel.

Yes! In my opinion, this is long overdue. Poor presentation will crush the life out of a good idea every time. I would also suggest that whatever the process is, it's not just a cut to top 6... If you only have 4 strong presenters, run with 4; don't pad the numbers just to maximize badges.

Also would like to see more ideas on stage that can't be easily summarized on a half sheet of paper. (ex: Hanna Pintour) Burning precious panel minutes on someone reciting the pinquest hurts my soul.

Edit: Definitely interested in participating, up to and including leading if necessary... But only if there's actual choice involved! No-one should be defaulted in.

adambarg on
    ChMDm4Y.png
  • toastytreattoastytreat Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Throwing it in here that I'm interested in being on the panel!

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Throwing it in here that I'm interested in being on the panel!

Same. If not chosen for the panel, I'm also down for sticking around if people want advice on anything as far as presenting skills, or as an "audience member" in later practice rounds.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • RenfamousRenfamous Weeb, Unexceptional Cosplayer Houston, TexasRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    adambarg wrote: »
    Also would like to see more ideas on stage that can't be easily summarized on a half sheet of paper. (ex: Hanna Pintour) Burning precious panel minutes on someone reciting the pinquest hurts my soul.

Hey I like to think I summed up Hanna pretty well in my pitch submission 8-)

Maybe @hingo will share it here so people who didn't see the East panel will know what you're talking about. Also I didn't save my original pitch 'cause I wrote it during a fever dream.

Renfamous on
  • SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm totally cool with being a panelist (Can't lead as I have other PAX duties before convention to organize).

Given my length in the Pin collection and trading world, I could offer some unique insights into various pin collection.

I was (at one point in my life) a ranked national speaker, and have been on a PAX panel (non pinny) before. Additionally I work with teaching and guiding people through learning games so have no problems with talking to various sized groups of people.

• theoriginalztheoriginalz PhillyRegistered User regular
    @adambarg for pres... err leader!

Trade pins with me! Pinny LanyardjlB4Ded.png
  • pakopakopakopako Registered User regular
    @adambarg for pres... err leader!
    Na na na na na na... Leader! Leader! Lea-der!

• rentfnrentfn Registered User regular
    I'd be interested in being on the panel. Since I was just on the East one I can just help out too.

• adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    Official - The deadline for panel submissions is June 30th, 2017!

ChMDm4Y.png
  • QumadenQumaden World's Mightiest Mortal Registered User regular
  • evanephrineevanephrine ev-an-eff-rinn Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not looking to be on the panel since I think this is a great opportunity to let some new voices in the community be heard, however I'm more than happy to help with any planning, practice, and execution whenever it's needed!

Also, 2nded on not feeling a need to fill out the 6 person max. We should only have the number of panelists that are actually needed.

• Kiki Kiki Lady Moogle Hat Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Just so it doesn't seem shady and for the record: Though I made the initial post for the panel in general (which given the recent announcement for panel submissions being due before July, I'm glad I did), I will also be tossing my name into the ring for a seat on the panel.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    I'm also interested in auditioning for a spot.

• PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    I'd like to go for this, I spoke with a few of the people a while back about putting together the most competent panel we can from those who have been on before. Qumaden, VBT, SerpicoBC and others have excelled with their areas and I think the better the panels are the more likely we are to see a community Pin, which we have been trying to get off the ground for a long time.

Personally I don't like the idea of an all-star panel. It sends a couple of mixed messages I'm not a fan of including well people who don't get, that have been on other panels aren't as good or deserving to be on this panel.

Do we still need an official community pin?? I think the community is coming together and making some amazing pins on their own and honestly don't see why we'd have an official one when we have some many great ones already and I'm sure more are in the pipeline.

I'm a fan of the community chosen panels. This year could have even more judges since we are using video submissions so it won't be a blind vote. Again this is Just my two cents. These are interesting topics that can be further discussed.

• SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    rentfn wrote: »
    Personally I don't like the idea of an all-star panel. It sends a couple of mixed messages I'm not a fan of including well people who don't get, that have been on other panels aren't as good or deserving to be on this panel.

Do we still need an official community pin?? I think the community is coming together and making some amazing pins on their own and honestly don't see why we'd have an official one when we have some many great ones already and I'm sure more are in the pipeline.

I'm a fan of the community chosen panels. This year could have even more judges since we are using video submissions so it won't be a blind vote. Again this is Just my two cents. These are interesting topics that can be further discussed.

I agree. Honestly if you just end up with the same people on the panel, you get a clique formed. If this is to be a community, it needs community representation, at all levels.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Different people can always submit different panel ideas. Just in case anyone is feeling like they want to do something different from what others are doing. As East showed, there is nothing saying PAX will only accept one pin panel.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    Update for people. People in slack have talked about a soft deadline for submissions to be next Friday the 5th. This is not set in stone at all. If you post a video on YouTube please post the link here. If you are planning on applying to the panel let us know and if you want to be added to the slack group.

Also we will need judges, if you are interest in judging also let us know.

Another Update - May 19th is when submissions to the panel are due. We are looking for videos of you talking about your topic or ideas for the panel. If you are on slack and want to be added to the panel chat, let us know. Or just ask any questions here!

• verybluetardisverybluetardis Pins and coffee. Let's be friends. Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Here's the link to my presentation video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pEFTqq6XFk&feature=youtu.be

verybluetardis on
  • fishfishmonkeyhatfishfishmonkeyhat Freelance Pin Man Newcastle, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Is that last year's video I assume? I had hoped to get the AUS panel up before anyone else's. :(

EDIT: Oh these are submission videos never mind.

fishfishmonkeyhat on
  • PedroAsaniPedroAsani Brotherhood of the Squirrel [Prime]Registered User regular
    Submission for Pin talk. Could be 101 or 201.

https://youtu.be/LdMAC7eto-0

If anyone is looking for the video submissions I'm putting them all together in one playlist.