As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rimworld] 7 year olds can wield firearms. Biotech released!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Delmain wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »
    A fair number of the more prominent Rimworld streamers have been using Make War Not Love since it helps to keep the game from chugging at higher levels of colony ....maturity?

Basically, any time there is an interaction between colonists, the game remembers that action for everyone in the colony (I'm sure I'm saying this wrong).

It apparently makes recruitment a bit more difficult, but the mod's writer is supposedly working on fixes for that.

what is this mod

I have been looking for it

a streamer I watched was using it, but no one would link it

Is this it @Mugsley ?

Several Puffins' Social Mods (Rumours&Deception, Romance Diversified, ..)
    https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=27288.0

I believe it's called Make War Not Love. I'm at work so I can't go out and find specific links, but it should be part of the mods lists for Spartyron7 and disnof.

Mugsley on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    It's not linked in spartyon's mod list

Ah ha! It's not on the normal mod repositories.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8QOLNOVDc3SUExsY21kNjFoLW8/view

Yeah, it sounds like it's a mod that just straight up disables the social system?

more or less?

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I'm trying out a run with the call of Cthulhu modpack. Lets see how mad I can drive my colony. I also plan on forming a cult.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Alpha 17 is on the public beta line. Note that it does a huge number on mods and a pile of them will require rather extensive rewriting so hop into it only if you're comfortable with playing with XML only mods or no mods at all.

Anyhow I've been doing a comparison between the A16 and A17 def files and there's a rather interesting number of adjustments being made which weren't advertised in all the previews so far. Just a few of them:
    • Slight pemmican nerf. They're made in lots of 16 instead of 18.
    • A reasonable change to Nutrient paste dispenser: it now consumes 0.3 nutrition per meal instead of just 6 food items. This means food items that have a higher nutrition value than the standard 0.05 (usually modded stuff) won't be wasted
    • Survival meals are now craftable. It takes a research topic to unlock the recipe and the materials cost is the same as a lavish meal (0.5 meat and non-meat nutrition per craft)
    • The insects have been given a nasty buff. Much higher movement speeds all round and they've gained a second melee attack which isn't tied to a body part. The new melee attack does very low amounts of damage so no big deal. It's just that they're able to still hit you if you blow their mouths off.
    • Slight reduction in component cost for the component workbench
    • Vents are now flickable
    • Mortars now construct faster, requires a little bit less materials, they fire much faster and have a very slight reduction in the forced miss radius
    • However, the artillery shells now require chemical fuel to make
    • Incendiary traps no longer require an artillery shell, they just need chemical fuel and a component.
    • New weapon: chain shotgun. Fires in 3 round bursts
    • Rocket launchers now have an added ai-override to avoid friendly fire
    • Beds now have even less HP regen effect (resting to heal will take even longer)
    • Sleeping spots don't have any bonus HP regen
    • Sunlamps now have a built-in scheduler to automatically switch off during the plant rest times. Power consumption has been altered to remain the same over a 24hr period (2900Wd while active, active for 55% of the day)

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
    Why the hell would he nerf heal rates again?

Colonists already spend like 2 days in bed after getting a minor arm wound, which for a 60 day year is basically ridiculous.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Yes, because insects not wrecking your day because you didn't fill in that one random tile on that map was definitely a big problem

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Until insects become fun or interesting they remain disabled in my games. Shame.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Why the hell would he nerf heal rates again?

Colonists already spend like 2 days in bed after getting a minor arm wound, which for a 60 day year is basically ridiculous.

My opinion is that it's to create more of a tradeoff situation. Instead of sticking Rest at priority 2 for everyone but doctors, you need to decide if that little scratch is worth taking a pawn out of the workforce for 2-3 days or just have them suck it up and work through the minor pain. Which, wouldn't be so bad if we could create work priority presets

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I've been playing with the unstable patch for several days now, and there are lots and lots of little changes that I think add up to a fantastic update.

1. Insects do seem stronger and are definitely faster, but the rate for infestations has gone way down.
    2. Manhunter packs have lots more variety, which previously was something that had to be modded in.
    3. Doctors can tend to themselves!
    4. A new option on crafting benches to set a threshold at which crafting will resume. (example: Make 35 meals, but once met don't start making meals until only 25 are left)
    5. Ground scanners no longer light up your map with places to dig. Instead they pulse. I haven't messed with this too much.
    6. Quests! Other colonies ask you to kill bandits or recover items. Basically a reason to caravan.
    7. Infections are way more common, but they don't seem difficult to treat as long as you have medicine.
    8. Floor tiles have more variety now, and some floor types (like wood) are flammable.
    9. Mining skill is important. Low skill miners mine far slower and sometimes won't get the resources they are trying to dig out. No-skill miners can't do much.
    10. Rivers and roads can be seen on the over-world map and will appear in your colony if you build on them. Roads speed up over-world travel greatly.
    11. Some crafting changes mentioned in previous posts. There are a couple new things to research as well, like Smokepot belts that cover the wearer in a smoke cloud if they get shot.
    13. Personal shields are now called Shield Belts, and are craftable.

I'm sure there's lots more, but this is all off the top of my head and based on observations while playing the game. I'm normally one who plays with lots of mods installed, but it's actually been pretty refreshing to go 'back to basics' for A17 and just get a feel for the game itself. Once mods come along, probably after the full-release of this patch, I'll no doubt go back to using them.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    half of those are basically things modders did already

half of those are basically things modders did already

90% of the rest are things no one wanted

and then there are roads, which like, cool, ok.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Infections being more common is due to a bug fix, in A16 you'll never get an infection so long as you treat a wound, no matter how poor the quality of treatment and regardless of whether you use medicine. This made infections a total non-issue so I'm glad that's fixed.

Being able to make your own packaged survival meals is great as it means that you can actually send out long expeditions without inevitable starvation and death.

Mr Ray on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Infections being more common is due to a bug fix, in A16 you'll never get an infection so long as you treat a wound, no matter how poor the quality of treatment and regardless of whether you use medicine. This made infections a total non-issue so I'm glad that's fixed.

Being able to make your own packaged survival meals is great as it means that you can actually send out long expeditions without inevitable starvation and death.

again mods have solved it long ago with canning and wahtnot

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I hadn't read the thread in awhile but some of you guys seem not happy with the state of the game. The changes have not been welcome?

eh, some of them are okay but it's basically just "pull some things into the main game from mods"

if tynan had also included the much-needed social system overhaul, it'd be way nicer, for me

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Yeah. Well, i'm never going to touch mods so I guess I'm happy.

I don't understand this stance.

The game is like, intentionally designed to make modding a thing, why would you take the stance of never touching mods?

• TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    I kind of get the stance, I usually play base, some of the mods made this actually feel too easy so it was more of a challenge. I have opened up to using mods now though for quality of life purposes and also total overhaul games just for fun (like the Cthulhu modpack).

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST

The game is like, intentionally designed to make modding a thing, why would you take the stance of never touching mods?

Because I am lazy as shit and I don't care. You can come over and mod it for me if you want. It's not a personal stance or anything, I just have a lot of videogames to play!

I haven't played it nearly enough at the base level. :)

Because I am lazy as shit and I don't care. You can come over and mod it for me if you want. It's not a personal stance or anything, I just have a lot of videogames to play!

oh, it's easy as sin now, it supports Steam Workshop (if you have the game on Steam)

you just go to the Steam Workshop page and "subscribe" then go to the Mods option in-game and check it to enable it.

most small mods don't require any specific ordering or anything, and the ones that do tend to be like co-mods (Vegetable Garden needs to be loaded before the Vegetable Garden Sodas sub-mod, for example)

but yeah, it's not hard to mod now and there are a ton of quality of life mods that make the game a million times better

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

oh, it's easy as sin now, it supports Steam Workshop (if you have the game on Steam)

you just go to the Steam Workshop page and "subscribe" then go to the Mods option in-game and check it to enable it.

most small mods don't require any specific ordering or anything, and the ones that do tend to be like co-mods (Vegetable Garden needs to be loaded before the Vegetable Garden Sodas sub-mod, for example)

but yeah, it's not hard to mod now and there are a ton of quality of life mods that make the game a million times better

some mods are major quality of life improvements, like the trader area that makes them not fucking wander around in your fucking trap lines until they are all fucking dead, thus fucking pissing the fuck off of their settlement and starting fucking raids against you.

Fuck.

• BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I bought this game in A16, came back for A17... I've dumped 70+ hours into it, send help.

Seriously though, loving the game. Have some basic mods (like prepare carefully, vein miner, caravan spots, etc). You guys have any must-have mod-lists you use? I'm not super interested in things like Cthulu, but more quality of life stuff is great!

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
    You may have seen this in other general gaming threads (notably Roguelikes and Steam): They took Rimworld and threw it into space (or, more appropriately, this is what your colonists were doing before they crash landed) and made Starship Theory.

I'm at work so I can't add the Steam link. It's currently in Alpha.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    For me, the argument against mods is the amount of research required to figure out what mods work with what other mods, whether certain mods are objectively improvements to the game, avoid any mods that make the game TOO easy or detract from something that's supposed to be a challenge, etc.

You can't just go in and hit +1 on the top 10 mods and call it a day.

What is this I don't even.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Mugsley wrote: »
    You may have seen this in other general gaming threads (notably Roguelikes and Steam): They took Rimworld and threw it into space (or, more appropriately, this is what your colonists were doing before they crash landed) and made Starship Theory.

I'm at work so I can't add the Steam link. It's currently in Alpha.

That game looks promising!

Re: mods

What I do with any game is play the base version for a while and then I'll look at mods. For this game, the only mod I really wanted was the one that let me save my starting colonists.

Al_wat on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Last night I walk in to my pc room and find my daughter, 9, sitting at my PC playing this. Which is surprising as she has only watched over my shoulder a few times, so I didn't realise how much she'd picked up just from watching.

I ask her to pause and look around her set up. It was pretty decent, not perfect, I almost started making improvements for her out of habit, but let it go. She asked what I thought and I gave some tips, like if you have smaller crop areas (I like 7x7) and put paths between them, it's harder for fire to spread to next crop, if you don't have fire suppression - important because Cortez was a pyromaniac, which she was delightfully frustrated about because he kept starting fires and she couldn't figure it out - I guess she never watched me reroll for 15mins haha. She played a little bit more until a mad boar decimated her colonists. When she restarted I helped with the rerolling pointing out that pyro is bad, and chemical interest with a drug habit is bad doesn't matter if the guy is a master builder, he gonna be bed ridden for months when he starts withdrawing.

Good times :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Is there a certain biome where plasteel spawns? I'm on my most successful run ever, but I can't build a multi analyzer because I'm plasteel poor.

Atlas in Chains on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, if there are no visible veins, then you will need to either mine randomly until you find some on the surface or trade for it. I've run in to that problem a few times myself and I usually turn to trade. Build yourself a comms console and ask for a caravan or two.

At the beginning of the game, I've also started looking for plasteel on the traders that pop by, even early on, even if it leaves me with no silver at the end of the trade I usually try to buy what I can if I have no visible surface plasteel.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    As far as I know, if there are no visible veins, then you will need to either mine randomly until you find some on the surface or trade for it. I've run in to that problem a few times myself and I usually turn to trade. Build yourself a comms console and ask for a caravan or two.

At the beginning of the game, I've also started looking for plasteel on the traders that pop by, even early on, even if it leaves me with no silver at the end of the trade I usually try to buy what I can if I have no visible surface plasteel.

I've seen it exposed on the surface once I think, but only once. If it's possible, it's extraordinarily rare. I'm currently strip mining my local large hill in hopes I can find this very thing.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    The good thing about A17 is that if you can't find a resource on your current map, you can just go out into the world and look for more. The downside of this of course is that you have to "settle" every new area you want to check, which means either leaving the new site running after you leave and having it hog system resources, or abandon it and never be able to return to the site again. As with everything though, there's a mod for that:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932951772

This mod lets you build temporary camps on a tile which disappear when you leave. Its also useful for making hunting camps once your home tile is out of wildlife!

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Necrobump, LotR mod announcement! Pretty stoked about this, Jecrell has done some pretty awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFFLkkz2_4Q

Although I feel there was a missed opportunity in not calling it Lord of the Rims.

Fleeb on
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Necrobump, LotR mod announcement! Pretty stoked about this, Jecrell has done some pretty awesome stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFFLkkz2_4Q

Although I feel there was a missed opportunity in not calling it Lord of the Rims.

Because googling Lord of the Rims would totally not be fraught with danger.

• FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Very good point.

::edit:: ok, just for fun I bit the bullet and did so. Came up pretty tame actually, even with safe search off. A lot of stuff about fixing tires.

Fleeb on
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Very good point.

::edit:: ok, just for fun I bit the bullet and did so. Came up pretty tame actually, even with safe search off. A lot of stuff about fixing tires.

Color me shocked.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    How do you even make socks and such in this game? All I can make are shirts and pants and armor for the head and chest.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited January 2018
    Dac wrote: »
    How do you even make socks and such in this game? All I can make are shirts and pants and armor for the head and chest.

I don't know why someone would make one, but presumably there'd be a mod that added a feet slot and shoes and socks to wear in those slots.

Delmain on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    They have armor!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow