As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• Options
    PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    So how's the community for this game.. Is it on the decline?

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    1-1 so far in my placment matches. lost to a diamond zerg and beat a plat terran. maps feel waaaay bigger, but then again im just making roaches

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Prisca wrote: »

Not really, it's pretty much where it's going to stay for now.

Anyone who was going to quit has already done so, and those still playing aren't going anywhere.

• Options
    Prisca wrote: »

I had no issues finding a game yesterday as I started my ladder experience. Similarly I play coop relatively frequently and never have to wait long (maybe 30s at most) for partners. Personally I drift in and out but the game is stable as far as population goes as far as I can tell.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    welp i placed bronze 3, which given how i was playing is actually probably higher than i should be. i went 2-1 this time around because i lost to a diamond terran then my next two opponents just left like 5 seconds in.

lol?

edit: i don't understand how mmr is calculated or how my rank was determined....but whatever. giant space bugs are rampaging again

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Well I won 2 games and went from bronze 3 to gold 1 (I think, did it last night definitely gold though). Moving up! I was doing my own thing

17 hatch/pool/gas into roaches/ravagers and just going from there with the occasional muta switch. But I saw on the subreddit PiG has posted some beginner starting build orders. The zerg one isn't that far off from what I was doing but gives me targets to try and sharpen my build. I knew for example I needed a 3rd earlier but didn't have a good idea as to exactly when. May just give that a try and see what happens.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    New Commander incoming

My guess is valerian mengsk, or matt horner. I can't really think of any other big Terrans left. I guess maybe sgt hammer if they want the tie in, but that'd be weird on some maps.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    I've been finishing up LOTV after putting it on the shelf for awhile, maybe I'll try some 1on1 at some point but I am so out of practice.

I was thinking back to some of the pre-release stuff for this game, wish they made this into a LOTV single player power,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAcIQbPsxSs

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    that's a pretty cool ability. i assume that's from a super early build because everything looks really strange.

unrelated: just got promoted to plat 3. keeping things rolling when i can.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    I managed to use "special tactics" in a work email today

mission.
    accomplished.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    that's a pretty cool ability. i assume that's from a super early build because everything looks really strange.

unrelated: just got promoted to plat 3. keeping things rolling when i can.

While cool, I think the ability is pointless when you can make your buildings shoot things. I believe during development they swapped the move ability to the Zerg for their defenses.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    New Commander revealed and he might be my new "main". There is just so much shit.
    Talandar aka Fenix

He has upgrades that let him skip tech requirements. Aka your build order is pylon to Stargate.

Also one that removes gas requirements for your buildings.

And mech suits and multiple heroes

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    KeamienKeamien Registered User regular
    I made it to Diamond 2. So, you know, I'll be pro soon

• Options
    Anyone here play on a tablet? I vaguely remember an old conversation about surface pro 2 handling the game

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I can't believe how daunting it feels now to so much as write down build orders. I used to relish that part since it was akin to playing and studying but was calm haha.

as is I am more or less winging it every game and I can still have fun but I know if I wanna move past diamond 1 it's gonna take that kind of real focus that starts with mapping out at least 3 build orders. and it's always quite rewarding! just time consuming and I'm so lazy.

truthfully... I think I could justify not doing it yet by saying I need to buff up my basics before it's gonna matter if my builds are really 'perfect'.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I can't believe how daunting it feels now to so much as write down build orders. I used to relish that part since it was akin to playing and studying but was calm haha.

as is I am more or less winging it every game and I can still have fun but I know if I wanna move past diamond 1 it's gonna take that kind of real focus that starts with mapping out at least 3 build orders. and it's always quite rewarding! just time consuming and I'm so lazy.

truthfully... I think I could justify not doing it yet by saying I need to buff up my basics before it's gonna matter if my builds are really 'perfect'.

Can any race play one opening build for all matchups yet?

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I actually got around to playing through the nova missions today. They really were pretty good. Too bad the big multi mining bases missions were all so short. I really liked the back and forth between nova and the engineer/scientist dude (whose voice acting was great).

I almost think i was more invested in novas story stuff than the whole protoss campaign.

• Options
    I suck at this game

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    we all suck at this game

ftfy

is that still a thing in 2017?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I can definitely see myself sucking all kinds of ways if I try to play this competitively again.

Long gone are the days where a proxy hatch could ruin a terran wall and build order.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Remember that ridiculous archon toilet during an IGM game that gave a basically lost game back to the protoss?
    It was on new lost temple I think.

I can't remember the players, maybe axslav as toss?
    I definitely remember one of the casters being HD because goodness he was irritating.

Then another memorable moment was Idra vs that Korean from Boxer's team....I can't remember his name. Short skinny guy (that narrows it down...). T v Z. Idra was losing but then the terran accidentally blew up his own CC and Idra was definitely back in the game, and then he just quit.... leaving the entire arena speechless.

That was casted by Day9 and DJWheat if I recall and they were speechless...

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh, IdrA. Remember when he also quit when the Protoss opponent came in with a huge air armada? And 90% of it was Hallucinated, but he left before discovering that?

Wonder how he's doing nowadays.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Yeah that was vs the Canadian player who teased the hell out of him.... HuK

He even typed it in game "they were hallucinations"
    oh man, the rage from IdrA...

God Huk was SHORT. Like, he was maybe barely 5" tall.

earlier that series idrA also quit immediately once HuK snuck a DT into his base.
    I think both games were on Metalopolis?

I still see Stephano stream SC every now and then.
    Man that Frenchie could do some magic. He came out of nowhere from the Millenium team and just took the entire scene by storm.

I think Dreamhack was his first big win, which makes sence being a Frenchie.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Lol, Metalopolis. Amazing what used to pass for a macro map.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    It took them ages to realize that spawning back to back or facing each other was obviously broken in certain matchups.

I hated having to scout and hopefully see a protoss air building in time to build an evo chamber and spore colony.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    What was the map where the bases had a really long walking patch but were literally next to each other so everyone just Void Ray rushed.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    What was the map where the bases had a really long walking patch but were literally next to each other so everyone just Void Ray rushed.

Desert Oasis.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Desert Oasis.

The horrors.

• Options
    Brood War has definitely reclaimed the top spot from SC2 as a spectator esport

• Options

Has it? I assume you mean for twitch numbers?

• Options

Wings of ZvZ really killed SC2. It's a shame. It had already lost some initial hype and then so many months of dreadful balance just ruined its viewership.

• Options

Wings of ZvZ really killed SC2. It's a shame. It had already lost some initial hype and then so many months of dreadful balance just ruined its viewership.

Its basically the status quo of new blizzard. They keep reinventing the wheel and pvp balance is garbage in wow. Hearthstone lived with pirate warrior for months, HoTS has a very small meta of always picked heroes such as varian.

Sure id say legacy of the void made some good changes, but it was 5 years in between wol and lotv. Games these days dont hold peoples interest nearly that long. There are some exceptions but devs need to make sure their shit is in order if they want to keep players for the long haul.

• Options
    Enigmedic wrote: »

Its basically the status quo of new blizzard. They keep reinventing the wheel and pvp balance is garbage in wow. Hearthstone lived with pirate warrior for months, HoTS has a very small meta of always picked heroes such as varian.

Sure id say legacy of the void made some good changes, but it was 5 years in between wol and lotv. Games these days dont hold peoples interest nearly that long. There are some exceptions but devs need to make sure their shit is in order if they want to keep players for the long haul.

Un'Goro has been a huge breath of fresh air for Hearthstone though. That team is slow but they at least make changes. SC2 team kinda just let it ride?

• Options
    Im still on the fence about some ungoro stuff, like you can just die on turn 4 to some decks. I think they just needed to make some smaller campaigns in sc2 and release it as one package. Spreading out releasing all the new units and balance over 5 years just did so much damage. Its like they killed their own hype.

• Options

Has it? I assume you mean for twitch numbers?

YouTube viewership. ASL group stages average triple the views of GSL group stages on Afreeca's channel. Yesterday's ro16 matches from the ASL have more views than the GSL Code S finals from April.

• Options
    Part of it is expectations. Being toast on turn 4 is not unreasonable in a card game. (depending on the circumstances). It's been brought up here that the actual length of of issues in WoL wasn't all that long in the grand scheme of things (BL infestor was 3 months?). I'm still of the opinion that RTS as a genre just isn't that popular/viable anymore. The game that people think of when they think of starcraft "isn't" starcraft (enter day[9] video).

People still play starcraft 2, there are still tournaments, and there is still content being produced alongside balance patches. It'd be nice to have the millions of players other games have but is that realistic?

I don't really buy into the idea that having three installments killed interest. People bitched about it a lot sure. However every blizzard game I have played has had expansions that provided additional content. Given the amount of content in each installment I felt they were worth it. Maybe many people were turned off by it, but who was pining for legacy of the voids units a month after wings? I mean besides the generic desire for more content?

A few months of something being "bad" sounds pretty standard when things go south. It'd be nice if there were quicker turn arounds for fixes but there are plenty of reasonable explanations as to why that doesn't happen. In every genre.

• Options
    I'm not saying SC2 is dead game, I'm just saying it's incredible how quickly SC:BW re-emerged.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    it makes sense. as someone still watching sc2 I'd be shocked to find many folks who give it time but don't also give time to BW (I am watching every vod of both no matter where it's coming from at this point which amounts to like hours every day. it's nuts)

yet BW is gonna bring people back who skipped sc2 or fell away from it because it wasn't brood war

plus the biggest esports celebs ever are bw players I think. granted my vision comes almost entirely from watching the korean scene.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Well, actually, the recognizable players play another part. All these guys retired from SC2, but now BW is back and so are they. There has to be a reason.