As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - New Things Are Bad

2»

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Whereas for me, the Internet was something that happened in college.
    (...)

Right there with you, and your post brought back a lot of memories. I think at least half of our flunkouts were from MUDs, though. It was neat in that people could only use terminals in the computer labs (our dorm was at the cutting edge of getting in-room ethernet, but that was really only rolling out towards the end of my time in it). This made it kind of like a LAN party every night. Especially since I was in the "nerd dorm."
    I also got to see the birth of the World Wide Web, from its roots in FIDO and FTP sites to its larval form - mostly black and white photos suspended in a blank grey sea, as rendered by Netscape Navigator. All the text was black and the links blue, because it was about presenting information, not making it look pretty.

Hey, man, you know it was INCREDIBLY pretty when your previous interface was gopher. :D My first experience was using Mosaic on some unix box. So you had the novelty of this web browser along with the novelty of the different UI conventions in X.
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... unless they got backed up on the Archive or GoogleGroups.
    *flutter*

I'm still pretty sad that we've moved on from he monolithic usenet to scattered web forums. It's so much harder to find stuff these days. So much duplication and repitition. And Google silently abandoned the fixing the broken advanced search for their usenet archives so good luck ever finding those tears.

Some of us had access to usenet before we had a firm grasp on common sense, and are very glad that it's a very difficult thing to search.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I grew up having to log into BBS's with my modem, on my family's second phone line (which was dedicated to the modem) so that I could play text based adventure games, such as Legend of the Red Dragon, Planets: The Exploration of Space, Trade Wars, Usurper, and Food Fight. I am pre-internet.

I also think the internet is a hive of scum and villainy, I hate cat memes, and I hated them even at the height of their popularity. I also hate all other memes and I wish "meme" was not even a thing that existed.

I'm a 34 year old internet grump.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Some of us had access to usenet before we had a firm grasp on common sense, and are very glad that it's a very difficult thing to search.

Oh, I know this feeling very well. I don't want it easy to search by EMAIL ADDRESS. ;)

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    dennis wrote: »
    Whereas for me, the Internet was something that happened in college.
    (...)

Right there with you, and your post brought back a lot of memories. I think at least half of our flunkouts were from MUDs, though. It was neat in that people could only use terminals in the computer labs (our dorm was at the cutting edge of getting in-room ethernet, but that was really only rolling out towards the end of my time in it). This made it kind of like a LAN party every night. Especially since I was in the "nerd dorm."

See, I count MUDs as part of the net addiction, along with staying up reading rec.arts.* groups until the ungodly hours. And yeah, I had to use public terminals in various labs around campus... unless I snuck into the comp sci building (not my major) and stayed all night, playing with their Mac IIcx(es). Got in trouble for that once. :)
    I also got to see the birth of the World Wide Web, from its roots in FIDO and FTP sites to its larval form - mostly black and white photos suspended in a blank grey sea, as rendered by Netscape Navigator. All the text was black and the links blue, because it was about presenting information, not making it look pretty.

Hey, man, you know it was INCREDIBLY pretty when your previous interface was gopher. :D My first experience was using Mosaic on some unix box. So you had the novelty of this web browser along with the novelty of the different UI conventions in X.

Ah, yeah, I should have said Mosaic; Navigator came slightly later, of course. And yeah, the xterms were the "fancy" option; I spent most of my time on VT100s or later models of same (320s or 220s, I think?). But if you wanted to browse ("surf" took a while to gain traction) the web, or play xtrek, you needed one of the workstations...
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... unless they got backed up on the Archive or GoogleGroups.
    *flutter*

I'm still pretty sad that we've moved on from he monolithic usenet to scattered web forums. It's so much harder to find stuff these days. So much duplication and repitition. And Google silently abandoned the fixing the broken advanced search for their usenet archives so good luck ever finding those tears.

"It's too bad she won't live... but then again, who does?"
    Thirty-five years later, EJO is far better known for Lt. Castillo or Commander Adama than Gaff.

EDIT for @baudattitude:
    I am so, so glad that my adolescence, digital and otherwise, pre-dates social media. *shudder*

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Somehow I knew this would be one of the longest comic forums we've had in a while.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    This reminds me of the Millennial version of Cloud-To-Butt.

• Options
    ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    And these children that you spit on
    As they try to change their worlds
    Are immune to your consultations
    They're quite aware of what they're going through
    -Bowie

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh hey a new example of hilariously bad articles about millennials just showed up. Though to be fair, the article is about a guy having a dumb take on millennials rather than the writer of said article.
    http://time.com/money/4778942/avocados-millennials-home-buying/
    Millionaire to Millennials: Stop Buying Avocado Toast If You Want to Buy a Home
    Freely spending on avocados — the pricey, popular superfruit beloved by young people — may be one of the reasons why some young people can't afford a house, according to Australian millionaire and property mogul Tim Gurner.

"When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn't buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each," Gurner told the Australian news show 60 Minutes.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Oh hey a new example of hilariously bad articles about millennials just showed up. Though to be fair, the article is about a guy having a dumb take on millennials rather than the writer of said article.
    http://time.com/money/4778942/avocados-millennials-home-buying/
    Millionaire to Millennials: Stop Buying Avocado Toast If You Want to Buy a Home
    Freely spending on avocados — the pricey, popular superfruit beloved by young people — may be one of the reasons why some young people can't afford a house, according to Australian millionaire and property mogul Tim Gurner.

"When I was trying to buy my first home, I wasn't buying smashed avocado for $19 and four coffees at $4 each," Gurner told the Australian news show 60 Minutes.

Since avocados are $1.25 each right now, that is a ton (possibly literally) of them to come anywhere close to affecting your ability to buy a house.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If someone is selling you a breakfast's worth of avocado for $19, the issue isn't the avocados. It's the Actual Thieves overcharging you to an insane degree for food.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Y'know how everything can become a meme? Sometimes people take the most obscure damn thing and make gold.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    If someone is selling you a breakfast's worth of avocado for $19, the issue isn't the avocados. It's the Actual Thieves overcharging you to an insane degree for food.

Welcome to Australia.

When my fiancee was traveling Canada she got warned to be careful where she ate some places because they were 'Alpine prices'.

Still cheaper than here.

(yes, yes, different wages here etc etc, also avocado is horrible and people that pay money to eat it should feel bad).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185