As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem Heroes] Tempest Trials and FE: Warriors Special Maps

ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
edited September 2017 in Games and Technology
8ywvbmmeoa6y.jpg

Welcome to Fire Emblem Heroes!

FE:H is a mobile version of FE for your Android or Apple devices. It pulls characters from every single FE game, along with some new characters exclusive to this game.

The game is basically a small, bite-sized FE game on your mobile device. Teams consist of only 4 units and battles take place on 8x6 grids. Battles are very fast paced, yet still require careful planning and strategy.

Starting Guide

There's a lot of items and things to worry about in FE:H, so I'll do my best to distill things down into bite-sized portions. When you start the game, you'll do 3 prologue missions before getting to the main menu. Upon completing those missions, you'll be awarded 15 orbs. It's best to gather up 5 more orbs from Story missions and then do a summon (see Summoning below).

Your first summon is flexible. Basically, you summon your 5 heroes and decide whether to proceed with them or not. If you don't like what you got (perhaps you want a particular character), then you can choose to "reroll" your results by starting the game over. By starting over, you delete the entire app from your device, reinstall, download the updates, and compete the prologue missions all over again. This can take 5-10 minutes depending on how fast you are.

Once you get a team you like, it's time to start playing for real.

Summoning

i8x1wchrcwr6.jpg

You acquire Heroes by summoning them via Orbs (an in-game currency). Heroes that are summoned are done so randomly. When you summon a hero, you're given 5 different colored circles to choose from. They can be red, blue, green, or gray. These colors indicate which type of hero can potentially be summoned.

Red = Swords, Fire Magic
Blue = Lances, Thunder Magic
Green = Axes, Wind Magic
Gray = Bows, Daggers, Staffs

So if you want a sword wielding character, say Lyn, you'll want to invest your orbs into red circles. Sadly, you don't get to choose which colors show up and might get stuck with a board with only a few colors (like x3 green, x2 gray). It sucks for sure, but it's how it is for now.

When you go summon a hero, it costs 5 orbs. After agreeing to summon the hero, you'll be presented with the 5 colored circle options. Tap on a circle to unlock a character. After you're done, you have the option to summon again using one of the remaining 4 circles. The downside is that you'll be limited to the color options available, but the upside is that you'll only pay 4 orbs instead of 5. You can do this until all 4 circles have been used, with the last circle costing only 3 orbs.

To maximize your summons, it's best to wait until you have 20 orbs, then summon 5 heroes at once. Again, you might want to back out after the first summon if you're looking for a particular character and the colors don't align.

Battle Basics

Battles in FE:H are fast-paced and intuitive. That being said, they do require some strategy and foresight on your part. FE veterans should feel right at home and be able to jump into the game without problem. If you've never played FE before, I'll detail out some battle strategies for you here.

A lot of the battles in FE revolve around the Weapon Triangle, unit types, range, and terrain.

The Weapon Triangle is a system where certain types of weapons have advantages over others, dealing greater damage. Each weapon or spell is assigned a color; Red, Blue, Green, or Gray. It goes: Red > Green > Blue > Red with Gray being neutral to all. If possible, you'll want to attack with your weapon advantage and avoid your disadvantage. For example:

Anna is an Axe user, so her color is green. She deals bonus damage to Lance users (Blue) and takes more damage from Sword users (Red). On the other hand, Virion is a Bow user (Gray) and has no strengths or weaknesses against other weapon/color types.

In addition to the Weapon Triangle, each unit has a specified type. This is a far bigger deal in regular FE games, but FE:H basically boils down to troops, armored, mounted units, and flying units.
  • Foot troops are basically all non-mounted units. They move 2 spaces and attack melee or ranged. These are your mages, healers, sword fighters, archers, and so forth. These units can move through both open spaces and forests.
  • Armored units are big, powerful bruisers. They move 1 space, but have high defense making them harder to kill without magic. These units can also move through both open spaces and forests.
  • Mounted units are fast moving units. They can move 3 spaces and wield a variety of weapons. Usually these units are flexible, but not great at any one thing. These units can only move through open spaces - and cannot travel through forests.
  • Flying units soar over terrain. They can move 2 spaces, but fly over every terrain apart from walls (water, mountains, etc). They take extra damage from Bow users.

Be careful when engaging units in battle. If your flyer gets in range of a Bow user, he/she is likely to get seriously wounded or killed. Likewise with Armored units versus magic wielders.

Range is very important in FE. Units are either Melee (one square away) or Ranged (two squares away). Always check your attack ranges before committing to an attack. Ranged attackers deal damage from 2 squares away, meaning a Melee character will not counter attack. Conversely, if a Melee attacker attacks a Ranged opponent, they don't have to fear a counter attack. In all battles, the attacker swings first, then the defender counter attacks if possible.

Terrain can now play a big role in FE:H. Rivers and mountains can create choke points that your opponent has to funnel through. Placing a tough unit on a bridge (a Knight for example), allows you to attack enemies with your Ranged units safely. With a recent patch, new maps now contain "fortress" terrain tiles which boost your unit's defense/resistance by a percentage. Placing a unit on these tiles will decrease the amount of damage that they take.

There is a red "Danger Zone" button at the bottom of the battle screen. Tapping it will show all of the enemies combined attack ranges. Use this to position your units carefully, especially flyers. If you tap and hold on an enemy unit, their attack range appears as dark red. This is important to do on Bow users when you have a flyer out. Be careful though, the Danger Zone can change if you move units around or open pathways!

Allies

More info to come...

Upgrades, Leveling, and Skills

More info to come...

Castle Area and Quests

More info to come...

Shop

More info to come...

Settings and Tips

Here are a list of things you might want to know about while playing:
  • If a character has hearts around them in the castle area, tap on them to acquire an item.
  • Speed is huge!
  • Let lower level characters get the killing hit. Killing blows grant more XP. Soften enemies up with higher levels characters and finish them off with the weaklings.
  • If you kill an enemy 4 levels lower than you, you gain no XP.
  • If a hero dies in battle, they lose all XP they earned that map.
  • Healers can gain XP by healing. Always heal when possible (even if it's only 1 XP). They won't gain XP if they've healed too much on a map though. Healers can also learn attack skills once they've earned enough SP, and this lets them earn normal XP.
  • Characters that are 4* or higher automatically become "Favorited". You can disable this option in the Settings.
  • Sometimes it's good not to attack. What?! There are some cases where if you attack, then the enemy can attack and kill you on their turn. If you don't attack, you'll deal counter attack damage and then finish them off on your turn. Great for choke point scenarios.
  • If you want things to go faster, disable attack animations.

Friend's List

Here's our PA friend list. Add yourself today! Make sure to send out a greeting. Occasionally a hero might show up with a gift!

More info to come...

Current Roster Tier List

http://feheroes.wiki/Tier_List

Credit for original OP to @MNC Dover

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
ecco the dolphin on

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Thanks to @Smoogy, we have an awesome set of links:
    Smoogy wrote: »
    Some ideas for the OP:
    Spoit wrote: »
    Does anyone have that list of lvl 3 skills that can be inherited from 4*s?

This one?

http://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Skill_Chains_4_Stars_List

ecco the dolphin on
  • DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Finally added myself to the spreadsheet because I'm a slacker.

Gimme dem feathers!

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to tell what terrain gives defense bonuses. There's nothing to tap on and I don't see the character's defense visibly go up or anything...

These new Defensive Battles are just a little ridiculous. Stuck on a tiny platform that guarantees the enemies can all attack you freely each turn since they can stand out of range and then move in on their turn. Is there a tank mage about to be added to whale for or what?

I mean, with damage reduction and high defense I think you'd shrug off most attacks on those spaces. The defensive terrain all seems to have a border around the tile(s).

The map I first got frustrated with has your team stuck on an island surrounded by mages, who can all target you immediately but you can't reach them. You have to wait for them to come to you, so they'll always get the first attack off. Every round for the 6 rounds you have to survive.

I'm not sure what mage/archer that would be able to attack them back also has enough defense to tank that much damage. I don't think the defense tiles give enough bonus to make that big of a difference.

Unless you're suggesting you just slap four tanks on those tiles and attempt to wait out the mage bombardment plus the fliers that show up later...?

uyvfOQy.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how to tell what terrain gives defense bonuses. There's nothing to tap on and I don't see the character's defense visibly go up or anything...

These new Defensive Battles are just a little ridiculous. Stuck on a tiny platform that guarantees the enemies can all attack you freely each turn since they can stand out of range and then move in on their turn. Is there a tank mage about to be added to whale for or what?

I mean, with damage reduction and high defense I think you'd shrug off most attacks on those spaces. The defensive terrain all seems to have a border around the tile(s).

The map I first got frustrated with has your team stuck on an island surrounded by mages, who can all target you immediately but you can't reach them. You have to wait for them to come to you, so they'll always get the first attack off. Every round for the 6 rounds you have to survive.

I'm not sure what mage/archer that would be able to attack them back also has enough defense to tank that much damage. I don't think the defense tiles give enough bonus to make that big of a difference.

Unless you're suggesting you just slap four tanks on those tiles and attempt to wait out the mage bombardment plus the fliers that show up later...?

Hmm. Havent gotten to that one yet.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

I think you should be fine with a couple high RES mages (to kill mages), a flier (to bring the fight to the mages), and an archer (to take out the fliers as they come at the island)

I did it with Minerva, Ike, Takumi, and Ninian.

ObiFett on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Oh man, sounds like an opportunity for Niles to actually do something.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • AcheronAcheron Registered User regular
    Wow, arena was savage today... I was intent on getting a deathless run, and I had about 45 duel swords anyway. Down to 35 now, haha, but I got my deathless run at last! I kept ruining streaks against bullshit horse emblem teams with wings of mercy Reinhardt. Can't have even a tiny misstep with that fucker, and my team isn't great at taking him out in general. If Hector can't survive the nuke, it's game over.

Team was Hector (bonfire, renewal), Ephraim (QR2), Ike (standard, +spd), and Kagero (deathblow 2). Score was 4832, good for rank 722 in tier 15. 5k feathers ahoy!

ObiFett wrote: »
    I think you should be fine with a couple high RES mages (to kill mages), a flier (to bring the fight to the mages), and an archer (to take out the fliers as they come at the island)

I'm not even sure where to start with this post.

uyvfOQy.png
    edited May 2017

I'm not saying that my team was an example of the solution I offered. :razz:

It was more as a concession that I didn't use the strat I was theorizing so I could be wrong.

I did find Minerva to be helpful as well as Takumi. And I think two mages would have been better than Ike/Ninian. Although Ninian was helpful in letting Takumi take out multiple fliers when necessary.

ObiFett on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    It sounds reasonable.

Going into it for normal, I wasn't aware that it was an island, so I used Stahl (26), FCorrin (23), Niles (29), and Lissa (30). Niles handled the top right pretty well, FCorrin tanked the red mage in the bottom left, Stahl tanked the green mage in the bottom right, and Lissa kept them all topped off.

I didn't defeat many enemies, but I survived, which is what that map wants.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

These two posts sum up this game so well it really makes me smile.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    @ecco the dolphin

Some ideas for the OP:

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262

Did I do this right? Will it work? Let's find out.

Screenshots of all my FEH units.

I should take the time to edit these down to one shot of all the trash...well it's mostly trash but I guess I mean the blocks of Bartre, Draug, Gwendolyn, etc.

uyvfOQy.png
    Hey, Gwendolyn and Draug have armor emblem inherits.

I tried leveling Armor team and it fell apart near 40.

I forgot to @Transporter on that.

I did all of the new quests except Ursula on Lunatic. No idea how I can beat that one.

uyvfOQy.png
    Nah, armor emblem is far harder to work wuth than horse and flier.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Did I do this right? Will it work? Let's find out.

Screenshots of all my FEH units.

I should take the time to edit these down to one shot of all the trash...well it's mostly trash but I guess I mean the blocks of Bartre, Draug, Gwendolyn, etc.

Okay, so:

You got the building blocks of Horse Emblem for SURE. Like al you need to do is get Xander to Five Star, level him, Olwen and Gunther and the Horse Engine is ROARING. Olwen and Reinhardt are mobile death squads. You can leave Gunther at 4* for now and just leave him as a buff bot, since you don't really need a Blue check with Olwen and Reinhardt alpha striking things to death. You could even forgo a green if you're feeling saucy. You can build Xander all sorts of ways, I'd give him a Vantage from one of those Lon'Qu's and an A skill of your choice, perhaps even keeping Armored Blow and running Bonfire from a spare M. Robin.

You're far away from Armor Emblem, as in, it would take a ton of feathers but that's fine, you have all the building blocks if you ever get a Hector/a new unit with distant counter but that's fine.

As far as a bling bling 5* team, level that Ephriam and Ryoma post haste. Kagero's a great infantry check and worth the feathers, but make sure she's not -ATK or -SPD before you invest in her. Chrom is a SUPER underrated Dragon Killer/Wall. I'd take the best I.V. Chrom and level him just to have him available. He can straight up one shot most greens and reds, maybe give him Swordbreaker from 4* Abel to help secure some Red wins and he's gold. Also you have an infantry and a calv 5* Healer, which are shooting up in value at the moment thanks to defense tiles. I'd use them both to help level the various 5* characters you need.

Hawkeye is...yeah, I'm sorry, BUT, he has Deathblow 3, which is the best inherit in the game for hard hitting nukers like Reinhardt and Kagero. Worth feeding him to one of them when you're ready.

And as a long term goal you're on the brink of mage hell, but it'll take about 60k feathers. You have a bunch just sitting there if you pair down your dupes. But Tharja(as long as she's not -SPD), Nino(+SPD Nino does her best! But as long as she's not -ATK or -SPD she's G2G), and Erika(doesn't matter, she's a buff bot/wall). But when it's done it's EVIL. Slap a dancer with them and watch them destroy the world.

As a Macro arena/map thing, walls/healers are worth thinking about, and Ephriam/Chrom are two of the best walls in the game. On a fortress tile, sure, they'll get doubled, but what's speed matter when it's 0x2?

And lastly Ryoma. If I'm not mistaken you said he was -SPD, which sucks for sure, but that means he's got neutral Def/Res and + something else, and 32 SPD is still good double protection. Since he's got distant counter built in you can go either Vantage 3 from Lon'Qu or Swordbreaker 3 from Abel. Swordbreaker helps him win swordfights agains other swordbros. Vantage is of course if you want to throw him headfirst into things he can kill and come out alive. Your specials will also change depending on what you want to use. Sustain like Noontime(Laslow) or Sol(Chrom/Raven...someone else I'm forgetting). If not those, Moonbow is the boring choice, but Luna works just as well.

As for the C. Slot Threaten SPD would help drag units down to your level, or, even better, destroy units with equal speed to you. Or you can use a buff there to HELP PEOPLE I GUESS.

That's my quick once over, I'll mull inheritance details later.

edited May 2017
    Yes...why are Ephraim and Ryoma level 1? They are arguably your strongest units of the respective colors. Well, sans Reinhardt that is. Level up Xander and Olwen. Yeah - Eirika and Nino combo ftw, but that's a big feather investment to 5-star them. Sharena and Ann also could use some love, since they are constantly going to be bonus heroes. You could level one of your Chroms too.

You even have a Lon'qu to give Ryoma for Vantage. I gave my Ryoma Moonbow but Draconic Aura would be better. Give him Fury 3 from Hinata also. You have a lot of good SI fodder sitting there waiting to be used. Not sure what his boon/bane is, but hopefully not -spd like my Ryoma! He still does really well though.

You could also work on Setsuna - you have Brave Bow+ to give her from Gordin. Quadsuna is incredibly powerful. Though you'll really need one of your Setsunas to be +SPD for this to work. Brave Bow+, Ardent Sacrifice or Reciprocal Aid, Life and Death 2, Desperation 3, Threaten Def from Peri. Luna or Moonbow. She can dominate with 4 attacks when she doubles with a brave weapon.

Here's a quick rundown of some 3*/4* characters you should be using for SI
    Lon'qu - Vantage 3
    Abel - Swordbreaker 3
    Peri - Threaten Def
    Shanna - Desperation 3
    Adult Tiki - Bonfire
    Hinata - Fury 3
    Laslow - Noontime
    Hana - Life and Death 2
    Florina - Ardent Sacrifice
    Donnel - Reciprocal Aid
    Palla - Moonbow
    Hawkeye - Deathblow 3 (he is not a unit you should actually be using - he is SI fodder)

It's not that strange you are not enjoying the game when you are just sitting on your best characters. It's simple to level a 5-star to 40 - they wreck house and should just take a couple hours with dancers supporting them. Once you do that, you'll have much more well-rounded teams.

Take some time to level up your best units and then max them out with SI! You'll have a lot more fun.

Smoogy on
    Smoogy-1689

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Did a 5 pull because I hate myself. Got a Fae and another Eliwood. Fae looks pretty useful.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Just finished my first arena run with these new defensive tiles, and the new tier system. Got some weird/unusual matchups, but all in all went pretty smoothly, with 2(?) deaths, 4613 total score, which currently puts me at rank 10k (in tier 15), and if this holds, will get a rank up next week. I guess the goal now is to get to rank 18, for the extra orb a week?

Also, still don't quite understand how the defensive tiles work. From the in game description, it says that they raise your defense (a bit redundant if you ask me), but does it do anything for resistance? Is doesn't seem to act as a field buff, but is a flat buff? a percent reduction? I can't seem to find much info on it.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I'm still waiting for the other Dragon Emblem buffs to show up. Maybe they can find a way to make a dragon healer.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Did a 5 pull because I hate myself. Got a Fae and another Eliwood. Fae looks pretty useful.

I'd like to use Fae, but she does suffer the double whammy of being green (with so many reds around), and a dragon (with all the Falchion users plus Julia), so she is just a really big bullseye for teams that have those units.

Yeah, like Talith, I'm really looking forward to a dragon emblem team some day. I'd just really like a Nowi. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Talith wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the other Dragon Emblem buffs to show up. Maybe they can find a way to make a dragon healer.

Morgan? :P

Hooray for 900 feathers from defense! Trying to get bonus hero defensive wins week after week might end up being a challenge. But at least you just need one :)

I am struggling to get a deathless run for sure. I haven't even gone 7 arena wins in a row yet. Iran into horse/flier emblem twice on like round 5-6 and just barely lost, or lost enough units that I surrendered cuz of the hit to my score. Defensive tiles make this interesting!

Smoogy-1689

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    y87LRl5.png

We did it team.

Noooo stop. She needs to be evening the odds as a mage D: Maybe even make her red and give her a Levin Sword.

7244qyoka3pp.gif

Noooo stop. She needs to be evening the odds as a mage D: Maybe even make her red and give her a Levin Sword.

Heh, true. Would be a waste... hmm...

Would Levin Sword be a ranged sword, or just distant counter?

Heh, true. Would be a waste... hmm...

Would Levin Sword be a ranged sword, or just distant counter?

It's just Lightning Breath in Sword form.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    My Julia anxiously awaits the arrival of Morgan :)

Smoogy-1689

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    God for a second I couldn't find Anna (wanted to promote her to 4 star in anticipation for doing all the new quests involving her) and was afraid I had accidentally sent her home or something. Thankfulky I finally found her. I really wish the sorting options were a little better (i.e. Having a secondary sort)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    I don't think you can send the 3 mains away even if you wanted to.

Also note that you can complete the kill achievement by doing it on the 9-3 story map (still have to bring them along to the hero battle for the other ones though)

Maybe if the feather flow becomes more generous I can one day upgrade the 3 of them to 5* to keep them around for satisfying conditions or arena bonus reasons if I don't have any of the other units.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I don't think you can send the 3 mains away even if you wanted to.

Also note that you can complete the kill achievement by doing it on the 9-3 story map (still have to bring them along to the hero battle for the other ones though)

Maybe if the feather flow becomes more generous I can one day upgrade the 3 of them to 5* to keep them around for satisfying conditions or arena bonus reasons if I don't have any of the other units.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was still super worried it wasn't the case though with how hard of a time I was having finding her.

Also haha, I will have to try that. I managed to beat the lunatic Ursula battle at lunch thanks to finally having good hero diversity (also finally realizing I had to let go of Marth in my team who was nothing but dead weight on that mission.) So the less I need to re-do it for the quests the better

And yeah, I wanted to get all three to at least four stars for now. They keep coming up as quest objectives so it seemed important. I already did Alfonse and Sareena but ran out of feathers for Anna at the time.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    Interesting. Killing every current enemy wins defense maps.

I just beat 4 on hard by charging horse emblem right down the middle. The cavalry reinforcements had been wrecking my back lines... but Titania and Abel shredded everything fast. The ninjas never got to spawn, I just won outright.

Score of 4720 didn't hold up on tier 15, dropping me down to around 6.5K. I dropped the 4* healer from the line up and put Nino in instead.

Titania, Xander, Azura, Nino.

I had to try harder this time around, and I feel like I ran into more well constructed teams, but I bumped the score up to 4788, leaving me at rank 3052.

Wondering if that will hold though... I don't have any 5*+ characters so I'm not quite sure how to bump that up any further.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
    You got that without 5* units? Holy crap.

edited May 2017
    You got that without 5* units? Holy crap.

They are saying they don't have any 5*+1 or higher characters.

ObiFett on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    I think what Talith meant is they didn't use any +1 (or +2, etc) units, just 5* level 40.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Mhm mhm mhm gimme that extra Ursula.

Easy Deathblow yes please.

• DuriniaDurinia Evolved from Space Potatoes Registered User regular
    Anybody have a favorite strat for the Ursula map?

For business reasons, I must preserve the outward sign of sanity.
    --Mark Twain
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    I love me some defense squares:

qdp5g16qb8ay.jpg

w8hea5au2ihf.jpg

my best score ever. I think 2-3 deaths at most? Armor Emblem is unstoppable right now - I wish I had another Hector to sac into Zephiel for the DC. I can say that after I get my feathers for this season Effie is getting her brave lance+ from one of my 3* donnels.