As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Things We Do For Skins

2»

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    this is great more comics like this please if this is gonna be the result comedy gold here

liEt3nH.png
  • goosbarrygoosbarry Registered User new member
    Comic would be funnier if the final punchline was accurate. If you are playing HOTS properly the game would never ever take an hour it would end around 30mins ( 20 min or less is the average. If you don't like the game or know how to play you'll get stomped in under 8 mins for certain. The inaccuracy of the comic devalues HOTS, the comic and the creators. All of of which I'm sure is unintended but, there it is.

Final line should have be " We did not. But it did take us 5 mins to lose".
    I would have chuckled at least.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm sure we've had comics that inspired more crybabies but I can't think of one off hand.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I can't believe people are so hung up over the fact that Gabe said "an hour." If he had said, "It took 'forever' for us to lose" would you all be on here saying, "C'mon Mike and Jerry. We all know it doesn't take an eternity to finish a HotS game. Let's be realistic here. It's 20-30 minutes tops."

As for the argument some are making that this comic is scaring away potential new players, do you seriously think that someone who was interested in trying out HotS would suddenly change their mind based on a webcomic? I firmly believe that the people who have been saying things like, "Well, now I know I don't want to play it," were probably already leaning toward that stance and they just allowed this to push them the rest of the way over. And that's assuming that they were 100% serious and not just trying to joke around in the comment section.

I am amused at the claims that one of the better selling points of the game is how quickly it's over. This is an attitude I've seen in many games and it always puzzles me a bit. It seems like gamers often want to find the most efficient way to be done playing as quickly as possible.

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    The comic was funny, but this thread was fucking gold.
    Henno wrote: »
    I don't play Heroes of the Storm, but I had to download it and slog through 10 matches with "friends" (and by friends, I mean strangers who were there doing the same thing) so I could get my free mount for WoW, so I can sympathize. We played against bots on the easiest setting and still lost like 3 matches. I only ever played Hearthstone for the same reason.

Yeah, you dont really wanna play games that remind you of how much of a shit awful player you are

See, I stopped playing HotS for the opposite reason; I didn't want to play games that remind me of how much of a shit player everyone else is.

And also because it didn't hold my friends' attention, and I don't play MOBAs by myself (except Smite because I love that game).

Djiem on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Good god.

To be entirely fair, the forums are integrated as the comments section for the comics. So someone reading the comic and deciding to comment might be somewhat unaware they're posting on a larger forum.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    Anyone who plays MOBAs with any degree of frequency has engaged in the dreaded 1-hour-loss. It is real. It happens. Claiming the punchline of the comic is hyperbole is fallacy. LoL, HoTS, DoTA, etc., etc. It happens. It's real. It's not an exaggeration at all. Not even slightly. Doesn't mean a 1 hour loss is bad. It can be a fun match... but anyone who plays MOBAs has experienced the one-hour-loss where you were on a toxic team of tryhards vs. a truly inept team of imbeciles and the only reason the other team won was because your team was so dysfunctional that they ended up shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly until the mechanics of the MOBA mandated that the other team win based solely on chance.

• legalpegallegalpegal Registered User new member
    Making fun of HotS for having long grueling games is like making fun of League for costing so much to install the game. Satire should be based on truth, otherwise, it's just random and stupid.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I came for the comic but stayed for the tears of the players. I burnt out on MOBA style games with league of legends so I am never going to actually try heroes. To me the comic is funny not because of how long it took to lose, but because he lost while playing a game he considers to be garbage. Weird to see people coming out of the woodwork to defend the length of time it takes to play when the opening panel established the game is shit.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I don't agree with the comic, but I can see that cross-promotion can be really frustrating, if you want "the price" thats offered, but don't really enjoy the activities /products.

- HOTS also centers around maps and (some simple) objectives and this, I think, is the "most difficult" thing people have to wrap their head around. Once you know the handfull of maps and play a hero you like its the Mario Kart of MOBAs.
    - Secondly, maps and objectives makes the game a lot less stale. Your 5 man "we play everytime together"-team might not ROFLstomp every match with exactly the same hero combination.
    - Thirdly, Blizzard took a lot of elements out, that make other MOBAs so toxic. You level up as team, you don't necessarily have to min-max your build (there is no purchaseable gear), matches against human players take around 15 minutes, there is no kill-stealing or denying bullshit.
    - The game is open for some heavy 180 degree turnarounds. I had matches where the other team clearly dominated but made a mistake in the later play which enabled my team to win. In other MOBAS you know within 10 minutes that you have lost, but the match drags on for over an hour.

I never bothered with bots, I did the tutorial and jumped right into a quick match and had a great time. It seems to me that playing against bots is the answer for most people if they have a MOBA itch but don't want to deal with the silly gooses. Personally (I play on EU servers, can't say for other countries) I haven't experienced LOL levels of stupidity in the chat. Aaand, if you are overwhelmed with the objetives, go with another player on a lane and help him. You are only in for a bad time if you force yourself to play it as a traditional MOBA (only killing creeps and 100% sticking to your lane, never participating in team fights, ignoring objectives)

Dratatoo on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's still the case, but back when I played HotS it had no Surrender option, unlike LoL and Smite.

Let me tell you, matches may not last an hour, but some of them sure felt like it!

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oddfish wrote: »
    Anyone who plays MOBAs with any degree of frequency has engaged in the dreaded 1-hour-loss. It is real. It happens. Claiming the punchline of the comic is hyperbole is fallacy. LoL, HoTS, DoTA, etc., etc. It happens. It's real. It's not an exaggeration at all. Not even slightly. Doesn't mean a 1 hour loss is bad. It can be a fun match... but anyone who plays MOBAs has experienced the one-hour-loss where you were on a toxic team of tryhards vs. a truly inept team of imbeciles and the only reason the other team won was because your team was so dysfunctional that they ended up shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly until the mechanics of the MOBA mandated that the other team win based solely on chance.

It's not true in HotS because they built the map mechanics specifically so that the map wins itself by 30-40 minutes, even if both teams are just dead at their keyboards.

So, yeah, who cares, but I get the complaint. HotS is the MOBA that built itself specifically to not have one hour losses.

What is this I don't even.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    hey guys does anyone know if this comment accurately represents hots? asking for a friend, thanks.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Even if you only play one game, it's still an hour of enjoyment

uoj1owdpm4p1.png

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm quite sure I have no idea what you're implying :whistle:

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • LinktmLinktm Registered User regular
    I came in here expecting a lot of salt, and I'm not disappointed.

So, a few things, this cross-promotion and forcing players to not play AI Matches (AKA play with 4 other living human beings on your team) was the worst decision ever. These people who might be interested in the game end up being seated with a bunch of angry toxic players who are "just here for the skin", and to make matters worse they may not even actually attempt to play the game (a regular strategy was simply to make a team of 2 or more and throw the match, if any PUGs end up in that group you're screwed.) Not to mention the day the DVA skin came out it took upwards of 10 - 15 minutes to get a SINGLE Quick Match going. Wait times on AI matches are non-existent if you have a 5-man team since the other team is all AI.

That aside, there are so many people out there who are salty about Heroes simply because it's a MOBA or they have prejudiced views of the game because of LoL or DOTA. That's like looking at Super Smash Brothers and going "Nah, I don't like Tekken and Street Fighter, that game isn't for me." They're distinctly different beasts although they may look the same or have the same basic concept in theory.

You can play Abathur, Murky, The Lost Vikings, Probius, Medivh, and probably some other characters I'm forgetting who play DRASTICALLY different from other heroes, so much so that it may feel like you're playing an entirely different game than everyone else (Abathur is a great example of that.) So if you don't like traditional MOBA mechanics, there's other things to experience and try out.

Long ramble short, I can definitely understand this comic and I've experienced the "long loss" myself from time to time (especially in competitive matches) but as long as you're not seated with a toxic team the loss shouldn't be too bad, not to mention you're still gonna get a TON of EXP for the length of the match. It's not all that bad.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    just like, yeah it's a shot at your favorite game or whatever but my god the self-importance of you people

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    An hour per game?

Gee willikers, I'd better not start playing the game they mentioned

This is like when I was going to buy an original Xbox but then I read the comics that showed the real size of the controllers

Thanks, Penny Arcade! :+1:

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited May 2017
    Linktm wrote: »
    Not to mention the day the DVA skin came out it took upwards of 10 - 15 minutes to get a SINGLE Quick Match going. Wait times on AI matches are non-existent if you have a 5-man team since the other team is all AI.

Interesting. So add 10-15 minutes to any game time estimate.

dennis on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Well, the larger influx of players looking to pick up Officer D.Va have come and gone. QM wait times have probably stabilized by now.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ok these comments might be even more entertaining than the already funny strip.

Hot dang HoTs players sure seem to be confused by humor!

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    I kind of see the point the comic is making. Like it might not literally take an hour to finish a match but, it feels like it when you are not having a lot of fun.

I'm not going to bash HOTS. It seams like a well crafted game that a lot of love/fan service went into but it's not a game "for me" and I'm only playing it for the OverWatch stuff. Once the event is over I won't pick it up again unless they have another crossover.

Actually I feel a little sorry for the HOTS community having to deal with all the OverWatch players coming in, wreaking havoc on the servers, bashing the game in chat , then bailing once they get their 5 games for the week.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's a bit like a high school football team being told that the only way they can get new helmets is if they go and join the chess club for a month

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Somethings something that takes 20 minutes feels like an hour when it's horrendously boring.

Well, the larger influx of players looking to pick up Officer D.Va have come and gone. QM wait times have probably stabilized by now.

Sorry, should clarify. I meant add it to the time that Mike/Gabe might have spent on HoTs to earn the skin.

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular

There's still 2 more weeks of OverWatch bonuses Week 3 is just a spray most folks won't care about that but Week 4 is 10 lootboxes so there will be another influx for those.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    An hour per game?

This is like when I was going to buy an original Xbox but then I read the comics that showed the real size of the controllers

In their defense, the xbox controller comic was deeply rooted in truth. I frequently had to move my controllers to find my pet grizzly bear.

steam_sig.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    An hour per game?

In their defense, the xbox controller comic was deeply rooted in truth. I frequently had to move my controllers to find my pet grizzly bear.

I wouldn't know, I haven't been able to play video games since I was stung in the face by a radioactive scorpion I received for free with my "Buttermilk 5" breakfast.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I'm shocked that this comic is the first time people have been exposed to an over exaggeration on time. Like at my call center job people will frequently claim they were on hold for five ten minutes when its been sub 2.

People lie about how long things take when they are annoyed.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Best comments section ever

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Really, PA should be selling the info in this comment section to Blizzard, if they've collected this much evidence as to how much people care about the game length

liEt3nH.png
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I did once play a game of HotS that lasted 54 minutes, but I've been playing since closed beta. People are salty here because even though a bad losing game usually lasts 30 min, it feels like a damn hour without a doubt. So people feel the need to defend their hobby from an insult that has some basis in truth. Honestly if there isn't some truth said in jest, people wouldn't get salty. I love HotS, but in all honesty losing games feel like an eternity. I'm all for making matches shorter; the apple hasn't fallen far enough from the LoL tree IMO.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    Really, PA should be selling the info in this comment section to Blizzard, if they've collected this much evidence as to how much people care about the game length

I mean, the idea of insecure people caring a great deal about length shouldn't be surprising

ayyyyyyyyyyyyy

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

I mean, the idea of insecure people caring a great deal about length shouldn't be surprising

ayyyyyyyyyyyyy

HEYOOOOOOOOOO

He's talking about dicks guys. DICKS!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    McFodder wrote: »
    An hour per game?

I wouldn't know, I haven't been able to play video games since I was stung in the face by a radioactive scorpion I received for free with my "Buttermilk 5" breakfast.

I thought those only showed up in cans of root beer.

Commander Zoom on