As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Go to the new thread now, dog.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    It floors me that Windows Server still requires reboots after updates.

Short of a kernel update, Linux doesn't require a reboot after an install/update to a program. How has Microsoft not gotten to the same point? Reboots are huge time sink.

Eh, patch managers do it in the middle of the night now, fuck it.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    If your servers never go down, how will you test your failovers?

#itsNotABugItsAFeature

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    How will I get on-call pay if my servers are always available?!?

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

On Call report: troubleshooting intermittent nearly undetectable networking issue: 6 hours.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

On Call report: troubleshooting intermittent nearly undetectable networking issue: 6 hours.

On Call report: PreCogs said to be here, said there'd be an outage to troubleshoot: 6 hours.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

On Call report: PreCogs said to be here, said there'd be an outage to troubleshoot: 6 hours.

On Call report: reading coupon app removal program install guide: 6 hours.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    On Call Report: Needed my car washed.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    On Call report: Heard an E-mail alert for the servers go off, Remoted in and ran a disc scan. Turns out E-mail was for an Amazon delivery. - 6 Hours

Artoria on
  • Options
    and a new thread inside joke courtesy Cog was born. - 6 hours.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    On call report: Beating this inside joke like a dead horse: 6 hours.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    donavannj wrote: »
    On call report: Beating this inside joke like a dead horse: 6 hours.

I use the glue to hold together my install guides.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    On Call report: watching the install guide - 6 hours

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Today in backwards PB&J sandwiches

My coworker who frequently makes stupid little mistakes was tasked with setting up a new network monitoring system.

He decided to turn on email alerts, add the entire IT department to the alert list, and then leave for the day.

So the IT department started getting emails any time a workstation was turned on or off.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

My coworker who frequently makes stupid little mistakes was tasked with setting up a new network monitoring system.

He decided to turn on email alerts, add the entire IT department to the alert list, and then leave for the day.

So the IT department started getting emails any time a workstation was turned on or off.

nice

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

nice

Also relevant:

To save on MS SQL licensing costs, we keep all SQL databases that require Standard features or better on a finite number of VMs. They have names like MS-SQL-2016-01.

But lots of apps work fine with SQL Express, so they get their own database servers with names like "VENDOR-APP-SQL-01"

When he rolled out the SQL server for this alerting system, what did he name it?

SQLEXPRESS-01

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    The fact that you have a naming system and probably a spreadsheet or something all the names on it makes this 10 times worse.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The fact that you have a naming system and probably a spreadsheet or something all the names on it makes this 10 times worse.

It's handwritten on a bunch of index cards in somebody's desk drawer.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Great idea!

Let's hire this outside company to do our patch management, anti-virus, and backups!

Let's use all of these things on the same server with our bank database!

Wait what do you mean our SQL server is running at 97% RAM? We have 22 gigabytes of RAM! That's unpossible!

• Options
    sql server is basically a virus

• Options
    In one place I did some work for they had a little black book about the size of a passport that had handwritten configuration data for everything in the entire office (including passwords). It was the only place this information was recorded.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Especially when you have 5 of the 6 simultaneous instances running with unlimited RAM usage.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

Especially when you have 5 of the 6 simultaneous instances running with unlimited RAM usage.

And add the coupon app of Exchange.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    It floors me that Windows Server still requires reboots after updates.

Short of a kernel update, Linux doesn't require a reboot after an install/update to a program. How has Microsoft not gotten to the same point? Reboots are huge time sink.

Eh, patch managers do it in the middle of the night now, fuck it.

For some of us (read: me), the middle of the night is our busy time.

And that still doesn't change the fact that, by now, Windows Server should be stable enough to run forever and never have to reboot, short of non-hot-swappable hardware and major system (kernel) changes.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Alright. Aside from the fact I had to set it up twice. I am ready to swap the network over.

I can now officially say I engineered my first network with real big boy equipment.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    So we're doing all this to switch to a better internet company. Across the board they are better in terms of interacting with them. They offer more service, etc.

Just had someone complain because the phones take a less than a second longer to be able to make a call out.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    my experience has taught me that people will complain about the absolute dumbest things when it comes to phones

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Just had occasion to log into Kaseya for the first time in months, to address something with a legacy client. It made me nostalgic for the UI and organization and mostly-sensible logging, compared to Labtech.

Kaseya: slow, clunky, web-based, support sucks, necessary to know how to do things multiple different ways because a given method will inexplicably fail
    Labtech: slow, clunky, local app but bloated and ugly UI, support is pretty responsive with things being broken unless they're above a certain complexity (which will take forever) or if you're asking how to use something that doesn't seem to work (they don't know either)

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    twmjr wrote: »
    my experience has taught me that people will complain about the absolute dumbest things when it comes to phones

I was once supporting a law firm, when a high-up attorney called me urgently to his office. His desk phone's cord was twisted, you see, and it was impeding his ability to take phone calls. I, trying not to make it obvious as I glanced around for the candid camera, agreed that he ought to un-twist the cable.

"No, look", he said as he pulled the phone handset away from the cradle, extending the cable which of course immediately worked itself back into a tangle when he set the phone back down. "I need a new one, right away."

I nodded in understanding, took his handset out of the office, untwisted the cable, and returned it to him.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    twmjr wrote: »

I was once supporting a law firm, when a high-up attorney called me urgently to his office. His desk phone's cord was twisted, you see, and it was impeding his ability to take phone calls. I, trying not to make it obvious as I glanced around for the candid camera, agreed that he ought to un-twist the cable.

"No, look", he said as he pulled the phone handset away from the cradle, extending the cable which of course immediately worked itself back into a tangle when he set the phone back down. "I need a new one, right away."

I nodded in understanding, took his handset out of the office, untwisted the cable, and returned it to him.

On Call report: Untwisted phone cord. - 6 hours.

• Options
    I have no idea how people manage to get them all slinkied up.

I have had the same phone cord on my phone for almost 10 years with no problems.

• Options

I have had the same phone cord on my phone for almost 10 years with no problems.

It's actually kind of simple. you keep spinning it in the same direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) forever.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

It's actually kind of simple. you keep spinning it in the same direction (clockwise or counter clockwise) forever.

Yeah I did this to the charger for my car.

You get muscle memory for picking up/hanging up a thing. Then oops the actions you take put a half turn in every time.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Mine is a tangled mess and I legitimately could not tell you how it happened. It's as much of a mystery to those of us it happens to as it is to you.

It doesn't impede my ability to pick up the phone in the slightest, though. The speakerphone button is my BFF.

donavannj on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Mine is a tangled mess and I legitimately could not tell you how it happened. It's as much of a mystery to those of us it happens to as it is to you.

It doesn't impede my ability to pick up the phone in the slightest, though. The speakerphone button is my BFF.

Speakerphone is the devil and those who use it for anything but a conference call with multiple people are bad and should feel bad.

• Options
    If I could go back in time and change one thing. I would prevent the invention of the speakerphone.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    If I could go back in time and change one thing. I would prevent the invention of the speakerphone.

fax machines

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »

fax machines

You know. You might have convinced me to change my mind. . .

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    The phone.

Specifically, the part where mine is reachable.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Speakerphone is the devil and those who use it for anything but a conference call with multiple people are bad and should feel bad.

Alternatively, the increasing drive to the open office layout is garbage. My current gig is the first time in 5 years I've had a cubicle rather than an office, and it makes me lose my goddamn mind.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    oh yes open concept is the scourge of the universe. Cubicles aren't even open concept. That's still at least a modicum of privacy.

But true open concept where you like, work at the equivalent of a dining room table is literally the worst thing.

This discussion has been closed.