As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
edited November 2017 in Games and Technology
pTrE2Db.jpg

Previously on the Mass Effect Thread
Version 1.0 - Mass Effect Andromeda announced, featuring even hotter humanoid ship AI
Version 2.0 - Ryders on the Tempest
Version 3.0 - Negative Ghost Ryder, the planet is full.
Version 4.0 - Sara's out and Scott free.
Version 5.0 - Ryders of the Lost Ark(s).

(OP at least partially stolen from Curly. He carries us through more than just MP.)

What We Know:

Release Date is NOW. Get it!

Also make sure you get the update. The game should be running as version 1.10 after auto-updating.

Hardware Requirements
One (1) Xbone
One (1) PS4
or, if you like PCs..
MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 3570 or AMD FX-6350
MEMORY: 8 GB RAM
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 55 GB of free space
DIRECTX: DirectX 11

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-4790 or AMD FX-8350
MEMORY: 16 GB RAM
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB, AMD RX 480 4GB
HARD DRIVE: At least 55 GB of free space
DIRECTX: DirectX 11

Versions of the Release:
So, quick post rounding up the SKUs.

As far as the game itself, there's three iterations: Base Game, Digital Deluxe, and Super Deluxe Edition. If you want the Nomad a steelbook, there's two iterations; the Model Collector's Edition, and the Remote Control Collector's Edition. Here's the differences:

Base Game just has the game itself, no extras whatsoever. Costs $59.99
Deluxe has the Base Game, plus a bunch of in-game collectibles like armor/guns, a pet Pyjack to punch in the face, and some MP booster packs to start off with. Costs $69.99

Here's what the Digital items actually are:

WhphAaS.jpg

For the physical items, those are a separate purchase (NO GAME INCLUDED).

Model Collector's Edition. You get a die-cast version of the Nomad (1:18 scale) and a steelbook case. Costs $100.
Remote Control Collector's Edition. You get an R/C car version of the Nomad (also 1:18 scale) instead of the die-cast model, and the aforementioned steelbook case. Costs $200.

So this time around you can spend anywhere from $60 to $300 to get your Mass Effect Andromeda fix, but keep in mind that this doesn't include any kind of DLC/Season Pass, because that stuff hasn't been announced as of yet. At least there's an armor/skin/booster pack when you pre-order!

And yes, they've finally released a Deluxe Upgrade ($9.99) if you bought the Standard Edition at launch for both PC and Consoles. Amazon has both PS4 and Xbone iterations, while PC's upgrade is available on Origin.

BioWare's Andromeda Gameplay Series

Part 1 - Andromeda Gameplay General Overview
https://youtu.be/HrWgLMH8yRU

Part 2 - Profiles, Favorites, and Squad Assignments
https://youtu.be/d3q_Nd5arZM

Part 3 - Exploration & Discovery
https://youtu.be/Ts9WLMSAYVE

Part 4 - Multiplayer
https://youtu.be/6OmW-4F4h30

Additionally, here's a link to the Andromeda Initiative, where more information/videos can be found. Watch all 6 and get an in-game item for your character!

Lastly, Quads.

sig.gif
Sorce on

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Multiplayer
    Since the game has MP, and it's all co-op, here's a list of your fellow Pathfinders to meet, go to interesting locations, and kill stuff with.

Population list here.

Related to the MP, there's an app for that. Control your Strike Teams, manage your MP characters, etc. They're also free, so download away!
    Google Play Store
    Apple/iTunes App Store

You want some Multiplayer Meta? Have some Multiplayer Meta. DIG IT.
    First, we have a MP Character Builder (beware, it's in beta still)
    Secondly, here's a Google Doc for MP Weapon Damage. It should be current as of the v1.06 balance changes.

DLC
    News: Andromeda is getting DLC, but not a Season Pass.

Well actually, there will not be any single player DLC.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I still haven't finished the game, but I did just get some of those shiny pins. Spoilered for size.
    cofrdmb22kjw.jpg

Cosplay intensifies! Sadly, I've yet to come across any shirts with mandarin collars that look even remotely like what Ryder wears on the Nexus.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I can't really find a good place for the sandstorm even with the changes. Like it does all right on bronze, but silver you really feel its weakness compared to faster firing semi autos, and the inbuilt scope almost a liability.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    Got a sidewinder today, first new gun I've gotten in over a week that doesn't feel like a down grade to what I have (only raptor and equalizer felt remotely usable). Too bad it has about 1/3 of the spare ammo capacity it really needs.

• Options
    Yeah the sidewinder is fun, but it really blows through the ammo it has super fast and doesn't hit hard enough to make up for the lack of extra ammo. I imagine it will get an ammo boost at some point.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    but it's so kewlllll.....

I carried around two of them specced the same as my primary weapons and added a widow just to snipe losers later on.

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    but it's so kewlllll.....

I carried around two of them specced the same as my primary weapons and added a widow just to snipe losers later on.

It's got a great visual.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    I love the reload action on the sandstorm.

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Since the patches hit I think I'm going to restart since I wasn't very far. I want to go some form of Engineer/Sentinel build because in my head, Ryder is kind of a huge nerd. What do you guys recommend in the way of weapons that best compliment the playstyle?

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    Since the patches hit I think I'm going to restart since I wasn't very far. I want to go some form of Engineer/Sentinel build because in my head, Ryder is kind of a huge nerd. What do you guys recommend in the way of weapons that best compliment the playstyle?

Single player? Depends on the skills you plan to take. Engineer is tech only and sentinel is biotics and tech. This will change things significantly.

However I would say off the top of my head that you're going to want a medium to short range weapon and a sniper rifle. Early on you're going to be severely weight limited for a number of reasons (skills and no access to X weapons) and that means no sniper rifles will be available.

The avenger, sweeper, ghost, and mattock will all be OK to reasonable mid range ARs. A pistol like the predator or sidewinder will round you out.

Later on when you have more weight you can choose a sniper rifle depending on what range you need it for.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Has anyone tried the Asari Huntress? Just got it in my first premium pack. I also got the Zhan I think, which will proabably sit in my inventory now that I've got the X5 Ghost. The Ghost Mk I seems a bit weak still but it manages to be a lot better than the Sweeper or Avenger II I think.

Also I have to say it feels really bad when it takes me forever to kill one guy while some random Adept just runs around blowing people up.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Just got a Soned, oh man the dakka!

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    I think my phone autocorrect my tag when I added myself for MP, it should be C0Y0TE_SLY on Xbone.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Regarding progression:

I've found that games like bayonetta (and to some extent, darksiders) have the most satisfying power and enemy progression.

You learn combat on random red bars, sure. Then, the first heavy unit is a challenge, and a puzzle to figure out how to approach (weak points, etc.)

Then, later, as your skills as a player develop, and as your skills as a character develop, the game starts throwing in more enemies. Now enemy groups might have 10 red bars and two of those heavies that you spent so long figuring out the first time. Repeat with regular introduction of enemies who hit harder and act smarter.

This can definitely tie into narrative progression too, as your antagonist starts beefing up its troops.

Leveling up can definitely be a mechanism to making the game easier, but i find that tuning balance mostly on the enemy side with novel gameplay is the best approach. ME2 did this well. You had flamethrower enemies, barren, mechs, and other units, and they all played a different role and required a different way of playing.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Coworker wants to play Sarah. Before she starts, have they fixed the uncanny-valley that is Sarah's animation?

• Options
    I've had no issues with Sarah since launch, but I think that's mostly true if you do any customization anyway. Not sure about the default.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I never had problems w/ Sara's animation even though I used the default. /shrug

They did fix the dead eyes on everyone, including Sara.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Found my favourite class - asari sentinel. Once I get her throw and energy drain to also prime (I think it's level 5 for both) this will be an awesome combosplosion class.

• Options
    Yeah, once I looked at the trees and realized I could spec both to prime and detonate I decided to make my start in the game with the human sentinel. Barricade is kinda meh for me, but the passive are also pretty good.

I bought the guerilla equipment just to have something and it has a level 1; if I buy it again does it level up like all the other gear, or just give me another one?

• Options
    You can't buy it again.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is this the voice of the Archon:

eloq5yjsir8w.png

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Priest wrote: »
    Coworker wants to play Sarah. Before she starts, have they fixed the uncanny-valley that is Sarah's animation?

For the most part, but she still looks 'froggy' to me. Scott Ryder is animated/lit better in general.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Things Ryder has definitely done at some point with the Tempest’s suspended walkway between the bridge and the research room:

done their best Dramatic Commander turn-on-heel and stalk away from the bridge after giving an order
    tried to start a fashion show
    took a running start and slid down in their socks
    sat on the edge and ate snacks while their legs dangled
    tossed stuff down/up at people who are walking by (whether it was that tool they were asking for, or snack bits as they pass by)
    started a fashion show with Liam and a sleep-deprived Gil
    staged a dramatic sword/lightsaber fight (but with whom?)
    space bowling??
    hopped off the side to avoid a conversation or meeting reminder (or just to look cool) (luck was in their favor the first two times, but then they got cocky and sprained their ankle on the third try)
    fashion show now with guest stars Suvi and Kallo
    special guest star when Cora refuses to change her route for their shenanigans
    dropped something onto the floor below while Too Damn Tired and just kinda slowly sank to their knees and then their chest until they’re laying down with their arm dangling over the side, reaching, until Vetra finally walks by, “Oh thank god you’re here, your arms are long and beautiful. Can you please pick that up and just. put it in my hand.”
    tried to use biotics/jump jet to do some cool wall bounce from the first floor onto the walkway, estimated any aspect of that wrong, crashed into the opposite wall, and crawled to medbay
    sat on the side with their legs gently swaying, listening to the hum and beep of the ship

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what to do with the Asari Huntress.

Sure, Stealh Grid is a nice ability but Lance and Throw without any primers are kind of eh.

Maybe I could set her up as a melee/weapon ambush class...

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Sure, Stealh Grid is a nice ability but Lance and Throw without any primers are kind of eh.

Yeah that was my issue with it. Though can't throw become a primer?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah that was my issue with it. Though can't throw become a primer?

Only against red bars which...ugh. I don't know why they do that. It just makes those powers useless because anything red bar is good as dead anyway.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Things Ryder has definitely done at some point with the Tempest’s suspended walkway between the bridge and the research room:

done their best Dramatic Commander turn-on-heel and stalk away from the bridge after giving an order
    tried to start a fashion show
    took a running start and slid down in their socks
    sat on the edge and ate snacks while their legs dangled
    tossed stuff down/up at people who are walking by (whether it was that tool they were asking for, or snack bits as they pass by)
    started a fashion show with Liam and a sleep-deprived Gil
    staged a dramatic sword/lightsaber fight (but with whom?)
    space bowling??
    hopped off the side to avoid a conversation or meeting reminder (or just to look cool) (luck was in their favor the first two times, but then they got cocky and sprained their ankle on the third try)
    fashion show now with guest stars Suvi and Kallo
    special guest star when Cora refuses to change her route for their shenanigans
    dropped something onto the floor below while Too Damn Tired and just kinda slowly sank to their knees and then their chest until they’re laying down with their arm dangling over the side, reaching, until Vetra finally walks by, “Oh thank god you’re here, your arms are long and beautiful. Can you please pick that up and just. put it in my hand.”
    tried to use biotics/jump jet to do some cool wall bounce from the first floor onto the walkway, estimated any aspect of that wrong, crashed into the opposite wall, and crawled to medbay
    sat on the side with their legs gently swaying, listening to the hum and beep of the ship

Yeah this sounds about right, and it also made me realize that my playthrough I was basically playing Scott as though he were Rodimus in the IDW Transformers comic More Than Meets the Eye. Which makes me very happy.

"Uh oh, Lexi's coming this way with that report I forgot to sign. Quick! To the lower de- ahh my leg!"

• Options

Lance for damage. Grid for damage.

lance->throw-> Lance until out of shields

Seems like the best idea

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Regarding progression:

I've found that games like bayonetta (and to some extent, darksiders) have the most satisfying power and enemy progression.

You learn combat on random red bars, sure. Then, the first heavy unit is a challenge, and a puzzle to figure out how to approach (weak points, etc.)

Then, later, as your skills as a player develop, and as your skills as a character develop, the game starts throwing in more enemies. Now enemy groups might have 10 red bars and two of those heavies that you spent so long figuring out the first time. Repeat with regular introduction of enemies who hit harder and act smarter.

This can definitely tie into narrative progression too, as your antagonist starts beefing up its troops.

Leveling up can definitely be a mechanism to making the game easier, but i find that tuning balance mostly on the enemy side with novel gameplay is the best approach. ME2 did this well. You had flamethrower enemies, barren, mechs, and other units, and they all played a different role and required a different way of playing.

The Souls games also have extremely solid enemy progression I feel. Leveling in those games is a really weird system though, so.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I don't know if it's listed in the patch notes, but you can collect all rewards at once from Apex missions now, no more one at a time.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OH man that's a fucking nice thing.

Also playing the insurgent really feels like a great support class.

"Oh let me drop some trip mines, turret up and then boost everyones shields, LETS DO THIS!"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I should boot up SP to unlock all these apex boxes. I've reached the 200 limit.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    As a note from someone who has been Sentineling a lot of late, if you have a turret, pleeeeeease set it for Flamethrower and let's hang out. Fucking nobody will be taking our little patch of explosions.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Golds are really fun now. Been having tons of fun with with human adept.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Started at the bottom
    Q3uoaBa.jpg

Now I'm here
    TPYhawZ.jpg

99% completion on NG+, not 100% because glitchy mission turn-ins. A third playthrough would get me to level cap, but I think I'm done until BioWare can fix all it's broken missions/Gibbed gets his save editor done or the inevitable DLC launch.

One last shot, though, because it's celebration time and the Tempest crew needs the break.
    OQHLzwP.jpg

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I should boot up SP to unlock all these apex boxes. I've reached the 200 limit.

Just be aware that, if you open more items than you can carry, the excess disappear forever.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Yeah...just figured that out.

• Options
    barbararossbarbaraross USARegistered User new member
    Thanks to everyone!

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Tinkles detected banned alias
    Reason: JessyPay

Man is a robot with defects.
    barbaraross

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    One thing I liked recently -- was talking to a villain, hit the "kill them" interrupt, and Ryder just hipshot the bad guy with the giant alien grenade-launching sniper rifle she had been using.

This discussion has been closed.