As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking at getting a laptop

-Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining.Registered User regular
It's come time to replace my PC. However, I've found that just based on space I'd like to move to a laptop rather than a full desktop PC with a tower. I mostly use my PC for non gaming stuff these days, however, I do like to place PC games. Currently I'm looking at one with the current specs. Will this hold up relatively well to current games? I'm not looking to run them with every setting maxed out, but I'd like to comfortably run games.

7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 7700 Processor (4M cache, up to 3.8 GHz)

15.6" Full HD (1920x1080) Anti-glare LED-Backlit Display

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050Ti 4GB Graphics

256GB SSD + 1TB HDD Storage

16GB RAM

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The processor is a bit beefy compared to the gpu. One thing you want to keep in mind is how well the laptop keeps cool. Check reviews of people who've used the laptop for gaming and keep an eye out for their comments about heat.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    For reference, it's the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop.

Reading reviews, only one mentioned the heat, 100 degrees underneath (I'm assuming that's Fahrenheit).

The biggest criticism is the display but I was planning on plugging it into my OLED monitor anyway and using the laptop screen as a second screen.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    For reference, it's the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop.

Reading reviews, only one mentioned the heat, 100 degrees underneath (I'm assuming that's Fahrenheit).

The biggest criticism is the display but I was planning on plugging it into my OLED monitor anyway and using the laptop screen as a second screen.

100 Fahrenheit is like, 38C. There's little chance it's Fahrenheit, unless they're talking surface temperature of the underside, then maybe.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah they specifically mentioned it as underneath, it was a bit uncomfortable to have on your lap,

100 celcius would be more than a bit uncomfortable.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The important thing is what the GPU and cpu end up running at. If there aren't reports of overheating issues then it's probably fine.

If that is the case then the only issue I have with the build is that you're spending more on the processor than you need to. The GPU is most definitely going to be bottlenecking that i7.

• Options
    I'm fine with that. I'll look more in to the CPU and GPU running temperatures.