As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect Andromeda] Shepard may get a day, but Ryder gets a planet.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Decided to jump back into SP now that a bunch of stuff has been patched.

Currently doing Cora's loyalty and man I forgot how much of a weeb she is lol.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Sonad + Turbocharge + Apex mission with 50% more AR damage = ALL THE DAKKA! Felt like a bronze mission, played the Turian Soldier, so add in Munitions and Fortify and entire rooms where melting.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I don't think my SAM got the patch note about not lying about new email...starting to agree with Knight.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Getting back into this after the patch. Salarian Architect is super fun. Need to upgrade the drone more, but I'm thinking I'll spec it into priming targets. I can't really micro what it does, so setting up combos for people seems like a good choice since it zips around the map as it pleases. It's nice to actually be able to use ARs now.

MortifiedPenguin on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Did the Gold strike mission today, got put into a mission that was in progress and was wondering why it was so hard.

Had a lvl1 and a lvl8 on the team who died repeatedly.

We still won but boy was that a carry.

• Options
    Drack is honestly one of my favorite characters ever.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Drack is honestly one of my favorite characters ever.

Krogan are one of the things Bioware has always done right.

Wrex was awesome.
    Though I never thawed him until 2015, I've come to acknowledge that Grunt was just about the best thing ever.
    And now Drack? Christmas.

Priest on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I love the Krogan in SP, but the rage seems like a nuisance in MP.

At least starting out, I did see that the later skill choices make it easier.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Andromeda 2 should be about Ryder losing influence over the initiative and the consequential massive expansion of the milky way races into Andromeda. Andromeda 3 should have the player playing someone from the Kett, defending their homeworld from the milky way invasion.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    The X5 Ghost is a damn sexy gun. Gets more accurate the longer it shoots and has a massive ammo supply.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    LD50 wrote: »
    Andromeda 2 should be about Ryder losing influence over the initiative and the consequential massive expansion of the milky way races into Andromeda. Andromeda 3 should have the player playing someone from the Kett, defending their homeworld from the milky way invasion.

EDIT: Whoops, what I said here was very rude, and if anyone saw it I apologize. What I should have said is that sounds really depressing, and Andromeda was way too much on the lighthearted side of things for that to feel like a thematically appropriate direction.

I stand by my belief that the sequels should bring the game's themes of family full circle by having the last game feature a Ryder about Alec's age, and one of the teammates is his/her kid.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    The X5 Ghost is a damn sexy gun. Gets more accurate the longer it shoots and has a massive ammo supply.

I want it in multiplayer so bad

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

I'd love to play as an opposing force character, even if it's only for a quest or two.
    I think Andromeda should have had a lot more to do with the politics of moving into a new place. There's some there, but it's largely ignored for space vampires or simple antagonism by former Initiative people. For a premise like this, I really don't think that the Remnant, Scourge, or even Kett add anything. There's plenty of opportunity to really explore what colonization means, with plenty of parallels and contrasts to our own history.

Like, part of the Initiative is about using the Nexus as a mini Citadel in order to be the hub of a new galactic alliance, if not government. But, what if the sentient race(s) weren't as technologically advanced? What if they were around our level of technology or below, but inhabiting most, if not all, of the viable planets? What happens then? Or, like you say, what if the Initiative appears to be an invading force?

A lot of my disappointment stems from the game's story being, well, dumb. It's a huge missed opportunity, one that good sci-fi grabs by the horns. The closest it gets to any kind of depth is how Tann treated the Krogan, but even that only happens because there's utterly no contingency for the shit hitting the fan after 600 years of travel, which strikes me as disbelief-breaking ridiculous. Even though it's an intentional part of the story, it should be explored deeply. Certainly more deeply than a "find evidence in an apartment and then never revisit it once a low-level mook in the conspiracy is dealt with" quest because sequels.

But, instead the focus is on space vampires lead by a boring zealot attempting to use not-Prothean technology to get his way, a way which is left for future games to describe to us in full (and a way I really have no interest in knowing).

Yawn.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    After getting all the common weapons and characters to X and most of the common mods at a high rank, I decided I was sick of my shitty weapons and bought some Andromeda points so I could quickly get some rare and ultra rare weapons and characters fast.

Should have gotten all the common mods to X first before using those points, as I think in the Advance and expert packs I ended up getting them instead.

But oh well. I got the X5 Ghost and slapped in on my Human Vanguard for situations when I need to shoot something from a distance (Boss enemies) before charging in to do real damage.

I'm currently levelling up Human Sentinel and so far I'm finding the combo explosions from throw and energy drain to be not very impressive/noticeable.

When I respecced my Vanguard's nova for priming and used shockwave to detonate, the explosion was way more noticeable. What am I doing wrong here with the sentinel?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I want it in multiplayer so bad

Its not nearly as good in MP as it is in SP. Its still good, but in SP it does as much damage as the Revenant. In MP the Revenant does 50% more damage than it

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

[Some text including a spoiler]

@Nightslyr Spoiler

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Leveling up can definitely be a mechanism to making the game easier, but i find that tuning balance mostly on the enemy side with novel gameplay is the best approach. ME2 did this well. You had flamethrower enemies, barren, mechs, and other units, and they all played a different role and required a different way of playing.

Right, but in ME2 you met that diverse mix of enemies right from the start. Some were tougher/more dangerous than others, but none of them were gated by your level and you fought pretty the same mix of enemies for the entire game. Shepard also started with a fair number of skills (assuming you imported an ME1 save).

Having started NG+ in ME:A, I actually think most of the game's systems were designed with a second play through in mind. It just plays a lot better and makes a lot more sense for Ryder to have more than one skill at the start, and when you reach the point where you unlock Profiles, they're actually useful. NG+ is lot more like ME2 than ME1. You already have most of your skills, you won't gain levels all that often, and when you do, the increase in your power is going to feel pretty incremental.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

I don't think that Bioware has ever made a game where the player has to look at themselves and think 'are we the baddies?', and I really doubt that they'd start now. Especially with the ME franchise and being part of EA. And honestly, I don't know what they could do to make the player want to defend the Kett. It'd be like ME2 where suddenly you're working for Cerberus who aren't really that evil because the murderous assholes from ME1 were all part of rogue cells.

I really wish I could have shot Jacob in the face.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I think I have found my multiplayer jam at least for silver games. I have been playing the Turian soldier with a raptor sniper rifle and hurricane smg with the extra ammo equipment. The build I have so far at level 13 and rank 5 is:

Fortify (3)
    Turbo charge (6) U U D
    Frag grenade (1)
    Munitions training (5) U D
    Combat Fitness (3)

I typically run with incendiary ammo for that extra damage on armor. With turbo charge activated enemies just melt with the raptor and in a pinch the hurricane. I haven't ventured into gold yet I want to get fortify and combat fitness a few evolutions before I try gold. It has been pretty fun activating fortify and and turbo charge and just locking down a portion of the map.

EDIT: I should say I haven't found the lack of movement with fortify to be a big deal, as I tend to not move a lot in Silver games and when I do I tend to boost anyway.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    I've dabbled a few games of multiplayer, but the realization that I have to basically start accumulating credits from the bottom after spending months maxing things out in ME3 has left me feeling bitter. I just dont think im up to grinding out 100 X class weapons all over again.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I went ahead and got the $30 pack of Andromeda points and used it fairly early on, so I could get play Gold sooner (that was the hope anyway).

I never maxxed my ME3 manifest despite playing over 700 hours, so I don't necessarily plan on maxxing my manifest in ME:A. Honestly there's enough meh in UR that I don't really care for the most part. However, I think spending those Andromeda points early helped me get into Gold faster than otherwise (as I hoped) and I've played Gold for about 30 hours of the 40+ hours I've been playing ME:A MP. A lot of people at uBSN have run the numbers and have found that there is a pity-timer to interrupt runs of no UR from Expert packs, unlike in ME3 MP. Turns out that the max Expert Packs between URs weapons, mods or characters is 9. The tenth pack will ALWAYS give a non-consumable UR card. This means that the overall max # of packs to complete your manifest can be predicted and is generally shorter time (in hours) to max manifest than ME3. If you are lucky you'll do even better, but given a worst-case scenario you should finish manifest quicker than in ME3, if that's a goal. I'm not sure I care, as that just takes away one of the incentives to play and many URs are not worth the time to unlock anyway.

Honestly Gold isn't a huge jump in difficulty and Bronze and Silver don't really prepare you for Gold aside from getting some levels on chars. IMO, if you have a reasonably decent weapon and have one Rank I, level 15+ character you can probably get away with playing Gold with consumables. Once you have a Raptor, you have a good enough weapon for Gold.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    I'm coming to the conclusion that my real problem with multiplayer is that basically all the uncommon weapons but the raptor are shit to me. Some of that is a matter or preference but not all, I don't have the accuracy to get crits reliably enough to use the heavier SRs and slower shooting single shot stuff. The click spam stuff just gets tiring like the mattock. The cyclone is not great numbers wise and the spinup time fells awkward with the power spamming classes I play. So that leaves me with the Raptor, that has mag size issues and no way to improve it and is the one uncommon I cant get ranks in apparently.

Finally starting to get rares that are useful, equalizer is good but has no range, sidewinder is great but needs its base spare ammo doubled at minimum. Finally got an AR that feels usable today, the thokin. With the spare ammo equipment I can carry enough for most of the round, only downside is mag size but if I can ever get that weapon mod to drop it should be good.

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Two things have helped me with my aim - I turned off aim-assist, which is on by default, and I use scope mods. If you don't use scope mods, then bunches of on-target hits get registered as misses even with highly accurate weapons, and for the low mag-size weapons that's a disaster. Aim assist feature is terrible, imo. My aim is much better without it, although the first couple of games after that change were difficult with the relearning. Now I'm also continuing to progress in my aim, whereas aim-assist seemed to have been holding me at some skill plateau.

Thokin is OK, but I tend to do better on TTK with Raptor and scope mod on most classes. I always forget to lead targets with the Thokin and if you fail to do that, you won't hit very often. I also find it's hard to get weakpoint shots with the Thokin compared to Raptor. The Thokin is the best AR I have, btw. Generally, mag/clip size usually not a problem on those even though they are smallish, b/c I usually need cover by the time I've emptied a clip. It's semi-conveniently forcing me to take a pause, which I use to my advantage to get cover and look around to check my situation - look for dogs/flankers/fellow PCs getting overrun. Plus, mag-size is less of a problem if I remember to reload asap if I'm taking a moment to not shoot (for shield regen/dead enemy/whatever) and have a partial clip with either of those.

I don't find that I top leader-boards using either (or actually, anything from my manifest), but I'm not dying all the time and I'm not useless. Sure I'm not as efficient as the players with better gear/characters and quadruple my playtime and that's fine. If they wanna finish things off while I'm reloading, I give 0 fucks and I'm sure they don't mind the extra points (stroking your teammates' egos is not the worst thing in the world). Plus, I don't know spawn control yet, and I rarely find groups of enemies before the guys that've been playing a while and that has a lot to do with my lower score. I'm there to support the team and I'm doing that as long as I'm alive, so that's the main thing I've been working on improving, which is all about situational awareness and knowing when I need to flee so I don't get overrun, or when to move/change target because I'm about to get flanked. Using first aid kit instead of res-ing with gel also improves my contribution/score and let's me get out of the bad situations that occur when my SitAware fails me.

At some point I need to learn to hover better, as the AI gets stupid when you hover (especially the trick of hovering at basically ground level, like 1 inch off the ground) and that would help my survivability. Dogs won't attack when you are in a one inch hover and everyone else takes a moment to reassess (standing around gawking almost), giving you an opening. I just don't yet know how to do the 1 inch hover thing on purpose.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

[Some text including a spoiler]

@Nightslyr Spoiler

Oops! Fixed

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    What does it mean when I get another rank in a character class I already own in MP? Do I just get another level or are there other less apparent bonuses?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    OgotaiOgotai Registered User regular
    unlocks cosmetic options and gives extra skill points

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I would say the uncommon weapons are way better in MEAMP than they were in ME3MP.

Like in ME3 they were all but useless on Gold.

Here I've found luck with the Ruzad, Widow and the Cyclone. Charger was also really good pre-nerf and is still good for a common. Raptor is also good but I never used it.

I may use an ammo power every now and then but I got a bunch anyway.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Ogotai wrote: »
    Also increases your base shields & health

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    My best weapon is a Charger III but at least my sentinel FINALLY got a primer now that I've got enough points in Energy Drain. Should feel less ass now that I've got a combo set up. Hopefully once I get Throw and Tech Armor ranked I'll have a good enough weapon to jump to silver.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Also increases your base shields & health

Bwha? That's true? I've played a ton of this and never noticed any change. Granted I have been playing low ranked charactera and ignore the numbers but that is good to know!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    After getting all the common weapons and characters to X and most of the common mods at a high rank, I decided I was sick of my shitty weapons and bought some Andromeda points so I could quickly get some rare and ultra rare weapons and characters fast.

Should have gotten all the common mods to X first before using those points, as I think in the Advance and expert packs I ended up getting them instead.

But oh well. I got the X5 Ghost and slapped in on my Human Vanguard for situations when I need to shoot something from a distance (Boss enemies) before charging in to do real damage.

I'm currently levelling up Human Sentinel and so far I'm finding the combo explosions from throw and energy drain to be not very impressive/noticeable.

When I respecced my Vanguard's nova for priming and used shockwave to detonate, the explosion was way more noticeable. What am I doing wrong here with the sentinel?

It is best if you can stomach it max out all the common stuff as fast as possible. Honestly you will get enough good uncommon stuff in there to play with but getting the base classes and base weapons to X means when you start buying the bigger packs its all good stuff.

Still I had like 15 dollars of store credit so I put that into andromeda points and got N7 crates so getting a few of this helps get you some fun options to play with while working on knocking out the common stuff.

For detonations just pay attention to which one is a primer and which one is a detonator. Maxed out energy drain is I think both or at least can be. If I am not getting combos off the problem is usually I am hitting things in the wrong order. Although tech detonations are a bit less BOOMFY than biotic ones. A tech detonation will look like a bunch of electrical arcs in that area its much less visibly explosive than biotic or fire combos are.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I'm coming to the conclusion that my real problem with multiplayer is that basically all the uncommon weapons but the raptor are shit to me. Some of that is a matter or preference but not all, I don't have the accuracy to get crits reliably enough to use the heavier SRs and slower shooting single shot stuff. The click spam stuff just gets tiring like the mattock. The cyclone is not great numbers wise and the spinup time fells awkward with the power spamming classes I play. So that leaves me with the Raptor, that has mag size issues and no way to improve it and is the one uncommon I cant get ranks in apparently.

Finally starting to get rares that are useful, equalizer is good but has no range, sidewinder is great but needs its base spare ammo doubled at minimum. Finally got an AR that feels usable today, the thokin. With the spare ammo equipment I can carry enough for most of the round, only downside is mag size but if I can ever get that weapon mod to drop it should be good.

With the last balance pass a lot of the lack luster weapons are performing a good bit better than they were previously. I have been having a lot better luck with some weapons I was previously dissapointed in. The pistols in general seem to be functioning a lot more like in ME3 where some of the pistols were pretty damn good damage wise. Prior to that patch there were a lot of weapons that were of highly questionable utility.

• Options

Well in terms of damage Biotic Explosions are tops. This is because they apply no debuffs. Fire provides an extra DOT. Tech provides a damage zone. And cryo slows. Damage order is, i think Biotic->Fire->Cryo->Tech

Additionally the Vanguard can hit multiple enemies with a nova+shockwave combo while the sentinel can only hit one at a time.

If you want to see what a "high damage combo" looks like on a tech class play the Krogan engineer. Incinerate(DDU) by itself does 1200 damage over 9 seconds(2800 to armored targets) and then the fire explosion on top of that is a lot of oof because you get +50% damage on explosions and a 35% damage multiplier on top of that.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    And that's why most biotic primers don't effect really enemies unless the cool down takes a day and a half (singularity) or or has a short radius and a global cool down penalty (annihilation).

Annihilation has workarounds. Singularity doesn't in MP, as far as I know. If you want a biotic combo class, you pretty much want Annihilation.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »

Well in terms of damage Biotic Explosions are tops. This is because they apply no debuffs. Fire provides an extra DOT. Tech provides a damage zone. And cryo slows. Damage order is, i think Biotic->Fire->Cryo->Tech

Additionally the Vanguard can hit multiple enemies with a nova+shockwave combo while the sentinel can only hit one at a time.

If you want to see what a "high damage combo" looks like on a tech class play the Krogan engineer. Incinerate(DDU) by itself does 1200 damage over 9 seconds(2800 to armored targets) and then the fire explosion on top of that is a lot of oof because you get +50% damage on explosions and a 35% damage multiplier on top of that.
    Assuming the Sentinel spec's into Double Throw + AOE Throw for priming with Throw, and Energy Drain with max Radius.

1. A Sentinel could Prime 2 with double throw (if those two are human sized, only health bar, no armor, no shield) and get both with Max Radius AOE Energy Drain netting 2 biotic explosions and priming for the same number of tech combos.

It may even be that a single Throw or Energy Drain with AOE and Prime can Prime more than 1 target with a single use possibly leading to further increases in combo primes and detonations, but I've seen no testing of that so far.

2. If that works, then you could get 2 tech combos by priming 2 enemies with max Radius Energy Drain, and detonating each with AOE Throw/Double Throw and priming for 2 follow-up biotic combos.

Numerical testing will be needed to check the second method, because you don't always get a visual animation with every combo. I'm sure the first way would work against the right enemies.

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    It doesn't. Double throw almost never hits anything. And you would not have the targets close enough to hit with energy drain at the same time if you were able to double throw targets. As they lose their throw prime once they impact terrain.

You are much better off with swift detonation for the bonus detonation damage and extended drain for the 4 second prime

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Going double throw over the combo bonus dmg would be a...dubious choice. The situations where that will be beneficial is very, very narrow, if it even exists - two red bar enemies far enough apart NOT to be hit by the radius, yet also still have both detonated by the Energy Drain radius. That is not going to come up anywhere near often enough to justify skipping the 30% bonus combo damage every time you use throw as a detonator, which will be almost every time you combo anything dangerous.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Hey @Goumindong I think I randomly battled with you in MP! Sniper Rifle Skirmish on Paradox? I was the Human Engineer, you were the Krogan? Unless there's someone else with your same name goofing around MEA MP.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

It is best if you can stomach it max out all the common stuff as fast as possible. Honestly you will get enough good uncommon stuff in there to play with but getting the base classes and base weapons to X means when you start buying the bigger packs its all good stuff.

This is good advice. The uncommon and common classes are just fine/good with low quality weapons on gold

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    @terrendos nope that was me. I got wrecked that game. Seemed like every time i was dashing something was hitting me and in the path of my dash. Plus Krogan are super easy to hit (and i have zero defensive buffs and rage is a shit defensive tree anyway)

With full anti-shield i could almost strip an observer with a charged overload. Found out that overload DOES prime if you hit during the stun duration. And could almost one shot a nullifier with Incinerate + Overload fire combo

wbBv3fj.png
This discussion has been closed.