As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Thank God I Finally Have A Table For Cannabis Potency.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So converting a MDC Rifts race to Heroes Unlimited Earth doesn't actually do very much to reduce their powers.

So now the big think is over how she adapts to this setting, and how the setting will need to adapt to her. It's a very different perspective she's seeing things from, and it's not just her being able to see into the UV light range. Having 40 (Supernatural) PS, along with 122 HP and 95 SDC means she'll have to be very deliberate about her actions.

Insert Justice League Unlimited "World of Cardboard" video clip here.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    The current Bundle of Holding at bundleofholding.com is 13th Age! The last time they did this was... 2015, I think?

The base bundle is the Core book, 13 True Ways, and the soundtrack.

The extended bundle also includes:
    Eyes of the Stone Thief
    13th Age Bestiary
    Book of Loot
    Shadows of Eldolan
    Candles, Clay & Dancing Shoes
    Diamonds and Shadows

13th Age is basically the only d20/DnD clone I can stand playing, and it's definitely worth a look.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    The current Bundle of Holding at bundleofholding.com is 13th Age! The last time they did this was... 2015, I think?

Eyes of the Stone Thief
    13th Age Bestiary
    Book of Loot
    Shadows of Eldolan
    Diamonds and Shadows

13th Age is basically the only d20/DnD clone I can stand playing, and it's definitely worth a look.

I've been looking into getting 13th Age for a while now, and the fact that I can get just an absolute shit ton of content for ~$35 was an awesome find and a great deal. Thanks for posting!

Now to add it to the list of things to learn how to DM...

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »

Eyes of the Stone Thief
    13th Age Bestiary
    Book of Loot
    Shadows of Eldolan
    Diamonds and Shadows

I've been looking into getting 13th Age for a while now, and the fact that I can get just an absolute shit ton of content for ~$35 was an awesome find and a great deal. Thanks for posting!

It largely is similar to DMing a Dungeons and Dragons game, but it feels like it's on easy mode if you've ever DMed for other d20 games, because 13th Age encounter creation is a breeze (they give explicit rules on how to make balanced encounters, and it works really well) and the stat-blocks for the monsters are tiny (you can fit SEVERAL monsters on a single 3x5 notecard, if you wanted). The package comes with a large amount of adventures to get you started, though.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    Yeah, 13th Age assumes you know how to GM f20 games like D&D, but if you have that experience, it's very very easy and fun to run because of the ease of the encounter building math and how fun the monsters are to run as a GM.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    JustTee wrote: »

Eyes of the Stone Thief
    13th Age Bestiary
    Book of Loot
    Shadows of Eldolan
    Diamonds and Shadows

Honestly it's not much different than any other d20 clone, except for all things Icons-related.

Specifically the Icon Relationship Dice can be a bit of a thorn to figure out how to use in a way that feels useful and relevant to character creation (instead of just random backstory mechanic).

We have a 13th Age thread, wherein folks have discussed at length ways to make Relationship Dice suck less.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I've been so busy with the last few days that I'm behind on my TV shows AND I missed a 13th Age discussion here...

Well, as the (un)official PA expert on all things 13th Age, I want to go back and dive into the discussion!

Oh... it was just about how nice the game is... Um... Yeah, 13th Age kicks D&D 5E's ass right now. It's the bastard love child of D&D 3E and 4E that decided in it's teenager years that it wanted to be part of an indie polka rock band and started hanging out with the indie games and took on many of the best qualities of classic d20 games while integrating some of the great mechanics of indie games to grow up to be an amazing game.

The things that are different from classic d20 games to 13th Age is mostly that skills like Acrobatics, Stealth, Bluff, Riding, ect. are gone and replaced with Backgrounds, which are brief statements that say what your character has done before and when you make skill checks, you can say "Well, I once was a Famous Gourmet Chef and I will roll my background with a Wisdom skill check to see the food looks poisoned or not!" and then you add the points to your d20 roll just like normal. It's great because you don't have to min/max your character to try to make him fit the idea you have for him, skill wise. Fixes issues where in fiction your character should be good at a thing but the paper says otherwise.

Then there is the Icon Relationship Rolls. The normal way of doing this is having your players roll d6s for each point and then the GM is suppose to try to fit in all the 5 and 6 rolls into the session, which is damn near impossible at times. The way I like to do it is something I found online which was instead of trying to hammer it in, give tokens to the players so they can do things with their tokens when they want their relationships to count. Like Destiny Points in FFG's Star Wars, FATE Points in FATE, or Plot Points in Marvel Heroics (which is another game I'm an (un)official PA expert on), they give the player narrative control, but with limits. It's still a work in progress system but so far everyone I've talked to who play 13th Age has taken to using it more than the RAW version. The one I'm using is @Joshmvii 's version that's currently being used in the West Marches game I'm running.
    Session rolls - At the beginning of each session, players will roll all of their icon relationship dice. 5s and 6s become tokens for the players to spend as they see fit. They do not expire, but you can only hold a maximum number of tokens equal to the number of relationship dice you have. If a talent or feature grants you extra temporary icon relationship dice mid-session, you will be allowed to roll them when they're obtained.

The following is a list of the types of things you can get by spending your tokens.

If you spend a 6, you can:

• Succeed at a skill check.
    • Re-roll an attack roll and take the better result.
    • Let an ally re-roll an attack and take the better result.
    • Force an opponent to re-roll and take the worse result. (does not apply to critical hits)
    • Redistribute recoveries among the party.
    • Restore two recoveries for yourself or an ally.
    • (Spend 3 tokens) Gain a true magic item, you get to choose the type. (Limit one per adventuring tier).
    • Influence the story, conjure a resource, etc. E.g.

If you spend a 5 token, you can do all of the above things except gain a true magic item. In addition, spending a 5 comes with a complication or cost. This is a sort of negotiation. You tell the GM what you want, they tell you what they think it'll cost, and you can suggest tweaks or changes and come to an agreement. There is one more use for 5 tokens and only 5 tokens, listed below:
    • Save someone from death
    ○ A PC can spend a 5 token to save an ally from death(but cannot spend one for themselves)
    ○ A hard bargain will be offered, and the dying PC either chooses to accept it and live, or go on to die.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I convinced my friends to play 13th Age instead of 5e, and everyone has since expressed excitement in moving away from D&D.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I have 5 new players to 13th Age in an upcoming game and 3 of them have never played a roleplaying game ever.

I'm making a reference sheet, what should I have? I listed what ability scores represented, how actions outside and inside combat works mechanically, range, engaged/disengage, and my house rules for Icon Relationships. Anything else I should point out?

I have 5 new players to 13th Age in an upcoming game and 3 of them have never played a roleplaying game ever.

I'm making a reference sheet, what should I have? I listed what ability scores represented, how actions outside and inside combat works mechanically, range, engaged/disengage, and my house rules for Icon Relationships. Anything else I should point out?

With people who aren't used to 13th Age, I've noticed some confusion over how weapon damage/increased recovery rolls work. I would put the Basic Melee and Basic Ranged text block on it, and maybe the list of class recovery dice.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    I'm super bummed because I think I'll have to end my Burning Wheel game even though I initially thought I wouldn't have to. A player is moving to another city, so we agreed to move our game to roll20 and everything was fine. But now, one of the other two players says he can't stream from his apartment because his computer is in a shared room, which is fair. So he's pushing for a solution where the other local player, he and I get together and then set-up a call with the other player who has moved. But, that seems super janky to me. I feel like the non-local player will be left out.

This just seems like we are trying so hard to continue playing this campaign but might end up in a situation where the act of playing became so troublesome that we end the campaign in a unsatisfying way, where we wish we had ended it in a nice clean way before a player moved.

Also, my players seems to love Burning Wheel, but I have more and more difficulties GMing it. The "pushing the player's beliefs" are super my jam, but the system is so complex that I don't really know how to quickly assemble viable NPCs.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Has this been posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFXtAHg7vU

Thoughts? Interesting how fast they come up with Aspects and Stunts.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    John Rogers seems to have a preternatural ability to pull narritive hooks from the aether.

I think everyone but Felicia had played FATE before, too, which helps.

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I don't know anything about Vampire the Masquerade, but Kenneth Hite of Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents is apparently the lead designer for V:tM 5th edition.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I've read a ridiculous amount of Harry Potter stuff lately, and now I want to run a game set just after the epilogue of book 7. Not that that's a particularly good idea, since I'm already shepherding a game along, but hey.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Now what's happening here

sUOaEEr.jpg

• McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

sUOaEEr.jpg

Ohhhhh nice. Will you be using the beta for the second edition ?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    McKid wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

sUOaEEr.jpg

Ohhhhh nice. Will you be using the beta for the second edition ?

That's the plan. The game's not starting until August at least, as my Blades game is ending when my sister moves away and this will pick up there. Given how fast Kevin Crawford works we may have the the Kickstarter PDF by then... if not the book. :P

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Just finished a second session of Fate Core. I think I handled something wrong.

McHellsing the Knight-Errant is also a Pyrophobe. So when his loyal retainer (also pyromancer) Moira blasts kobolds directly above him, he panics and bolts (1 Fate Point)..... right out of the forest and towards the site they should've been scouting sneakily. So the kobolds at the site hear from inside the forest a sustained "aaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAA" growing louder and louder until they see a panicking man running at full tilt towards them.

The player then wants to shout at them "FOREST FIRE! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" resulting in either distracting them (at least) or scaring them away (at best). However, this is coming from a man convinced that the the whole forest is ablaze (it's just a few trees burning). We agreed for the moment that it's a Rapport roll to overcome the enemies' Will, with Knight-Errant (desire to save/help) and Pyrophobe (sincere panic sells the statement) invokable. (It's not a very serious campaign)

Should it have been a Deceive roll instead? Or should it have been a Create an Advantage action? What should've been the right call?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What should've been the right call?

Yes.

All of that sounds fine. Remember in Fate there are often multiple ways to resolve an narrative action in the system.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    What should've been the right call?

Yes.

All of that sounds fine. Remember in Fate there are often multiple ways to resolve an narrative action in the system.

Exactly. I can come up with at least a half dozen other ways to have done that off the top of my head, but yours is just fine. FATE isn't really about "what should I have done" in mechanical terms. It provides a storytelling framework to get the best stuff out of the table. Sounds like it worked just fine, here.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Thanks guys.

Okay, next question:

McHellsing's player offered to GM in the same setting for a "Side Quest", so I can play as a PC myself. I wanted to be an (anachronistically inappropriate) gentleman luchador, so he suggested that our characters have the same height and body type, and McHellsing gets kidnapped/lost/enchanted, while my luchador gets mistaken for McHellsing playing silly buggers by his entire party.

While hilarious, we hit a tiny snag while coming up with this plan - McHellsing, the party financier, is Rich, but El Calacas Blanco is Not. Is there a mechanically sound way to get around this in the rules, since the party relies on McHellsing to roll for Resources during Shops/Crafts time?

Thanks guys.

Okay, next question:

McHellsing's player offered to GM in the same setting for a "Side Quest", so I can play as a PC myself. I wanted to be an (anachronistically inappropriate) gentleman luchador, so he suggested that our characters have the same height and body type, and McHellsing gets kidnapped/lost/enchanted, while my luchador gets mistaken for McHellsing playing silly buggers by his entire party.

While hilarious, we hit a tiny snag while coming up with this plan - McHellsing, the party financier, is Rich, but El Calacas Blanco is Not. Is there a mechanically sound way to get around this in the rules, since the party relies on McHellsing to roll for Resources during Shops/Crafts time?

McHellsing has lost his wallet, time to get creative with your arts and crafts.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    That seems like less a problem and more a opportunity. I can see two ways of handling this and neither is strongly mechanical:

El Calacas Blanco figures out the difference quickly and then proceeds to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge the money thing as hard as possible.

El Calacas Blanco continues the money train by just putting things "on his tab". I guess maybe a deceive roll with him being given a special temporary aspect with some free invokes on it like "McHellsing is good for it".

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Landing McHellsing a nice amount of debt when he returns! I love it when a plan comes together. :D

• DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Genuine question since I struggle with Fate:

Of these half-dozen or so different ways of handling the above described scenario, what are the different mechanical outcomes of them?

The hinted-at gripe I have with Fate here is that it felt like it didn't really matter what anyone was doing mechanically because it all did pretty much the same thing. But I've always wondered if that was just my inexperience with the system talking (and the fact that we were playing Fate Accelerated).

Denada wrote: »
    Genuine question since I struggle with Fate:

Of these half-dozen or so different ways of handling the above described scenario, what are the different mechanical outcomes of them?

The hinted-at gripe I have with Fate here is that it felt like it didn't really matter what anyone was doing mechanically because it all did pretty much the same thing. But I've always wondered if that was just my inexperience with the system talking (and the fact that we were playing Fate Accelerated).

Well, it all depends on a combination of the desired mechanical and narrative outcomes.

It sounds like they made it a contested Overcome action, that got a narrative result (the kobolds running away). Which essentially ended them as a threat until they regroup. That's a very fast way to deal with that scene. It could have been done with a number of different skills, but it works.

They could have also focused on distracting or scaring the kobolds as part of an ongoing scene, which would have made more sense as a Create an Advantage action that dropped an Aspect on the kobolds to that effect. This would have allowed for tags during further interactions with them, so it only makes sense if the scene continues past the point of the man screaming out of the woods.

Another option that is similar but still distinct from the single roll Overcome is making the attempts to get them to run into a series of attacks that deal Mental stress, with them stressing out essentially being a cue for them to bolt. This drives the scene in yet another direction, and will more likely result in something of an extended exchange with the kobolds, using words, facial expressions and fire. This is actually even more effective in Accelerated, since the stress tracks for physical and mental are combined, meaning that scared enemies will break faster.

Any of these options can also probably result in a Concession from the kobolds of some sort (with the last being more likely to), that can then drive the story forward and make them a little tougher to deal with the next time in a non-ridiculous manner.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    Wow that really helps a lot, thank you. All of those have distinctly different feelings and methodologies for arriving at a similar end result, which seems pretty great to me.

I'm thinking it is in fact my inexperience with the system. I'm betting I tried to run a game of it too quickly.

Wow that really helps a lot, thank you. All of those have distinctly different feelings and methodologies for arriving at a similar end result, which seems pretty great to me.

I'm thinking it is in fact my inexperience with the system. I'm betting I tried to run a game of it too quickly.

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to see what "That Swamp Wizard" podcast does with the Fate system, considering how helpful I found their "Space Wizard" podcast was for a mental image of how the system plays.

I think I'm gonna take another good look at Fate and Fate Accelerated and then set up a superhero game with my daughters. They've been really into supers lately (thanks to Miraculous on Netflix).

The Eclipse Phase test docs on Drivethru just updated. There's a character creation doc now, and a new version of the rules adjustments. I haven't looked them over yet.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I think FAE is a great system for Supers--the emphasis on Approaches not Skills presents a way for Superman and Batman to be on the same playing field, while Stunts and Aspects offer a neat avenue for them to showcase why and how they're different.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The Eclipse Phase test docs on Drivethru just updated. There's a character creation doc now, and a new version of the rules adjustments. I haven't looked them over yet.

Still think the pools are stupid narrative-based rules, other than that looks fine

Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    I think FAE is a great system for Supers--the emphasis on Approaches not Skills presents a way for Superman and Batman to be on the same playing field, while Stunts and Aspects offer a neat avenue for them to showcase why and how they're different.

I really want to run a Fate Accelerated Legend of Korra game, with the elements as the approaches.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Elements have non-bending approach-styles associated with them. I'd probably just borrow L5R ring descriptions for that.

Even benders are going to be using at least 3/4 of the attributes in a non-magical way.

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Elements have non-bending approach-styles associated with them. I'd probably just borrow L5R ring descriptions for that.

Even benders are going to be using at least 3/4 of the attributes in a non-magical way.

i did something like this but I replaced the approaches with colors from Magic the Gathering

it was pretty neat

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Uuuuuuuuugh. First D&D game in three weeks because the DM was on vacation.

They are talking in discord just fine. I'm using the app and they can hear me, I can't hear them. I switch to the browser version, where I can hear them but they can't hear me.

We eventually switch to Roll20's built in audio, and now someone else is having that problem I was because Roll20's voice/video is gaaaaarbage.

It's all moot though because half of us aren't here regardless.

E: Holy shit Roll20's built-in voice chat is a goddamn nightmare.

Aistan on
    I think I'm gonna take another good look at Fate and Fate Accelerated and then set up a superhero game with my daughters. They've been really into supers lately (thanks to Miraculous on Netflix).

I found that The Book of Hanz - a series of Google+ posts lumped together into an ebook - made by a guy slowly learning about Fate, helped immensely with my understanding of the system.

• OatsOats Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to see what "That Swamp Wizard" podcast does with the Fate system, considering how helpful I found their "Space Wizard" podcast was for a mental image of how the system plays.

We played FATE proper for a handful of sessions and then moved on to Accelerated and haven't really looked back.