As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PBP] Recruitment: Mutant Year Zero

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I'm down.

I'm in the Discord right now.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I made it home from work if anybody is around.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    So, I think we figured a few things out while in Discord. Here is what I have:
    1. Elder’s hq or where he is sleeps is in the Box Seating Area
    2. Two Additional Bosses: A Collector archetype whose HQ is around the basement + lower level former Pro/Gift Shops. And A KingPin whose HQ or main place of business would be where the dugout would be. (My character’s HQ would be near/behind/beneath the Jumbotron). The notion of the Collector being more of a Tinkerer type who wants to actively reuse artifacts was thrown around.
    3. 6 Tech and 6 Food seemed the most popular DEV distribution
    4. Source of Water : Rainwater was mentioned and an underground water pipe as options
    5. Season: Spring (was the most popular pick)

Egos on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    And for an additional note: Davin the Chronicler has the ear of the Kingpin, which is obviously infuriating to Vex.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    OK I think we have enough details to flesh out the Ark, we can decide the rest in play as it comes up. We do need to decide on an exact number of people living there though, this may go up and down (mostly down, it's a dangerous world) and we want to track it like we're on Battlestar Galactica.

The next step is the Assembly. This is a bit meta-gamey because you will be making decisions for the whole ark. This is where you work on Projects that will increase the Arks Dev level and give other benefits. There are a lot of projects in the book, so rather than list them all I'm just going to suggest we go free-form if you pick something reasonable that isn't on the list I'll figure out its requirements and benefits.
    Each of you can pick a Project to work on, though you can also work on the same Project with someone. Each Project has a number of Work Points required to complete it. Once per session, you can work on a project, just describe what you do and what skill you are using to help out. Each six you roll reduces the number of Work Points for the project by one.

Some examples of projects: Palisades, Cropland, Cannibalism, Temple, Wresteling Cage. As you dev levels rise you can take on more complicated projects like a wind mill, generator, or a distillery.

Once the Projects are picked I'll roll on the Threat table and the game begins.

Neaden on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Veritas would like to work on cropland, using her jury-rig skill to put together some temporary machinery we can use to carry in earth and/or break through stone/concrete to make more room for the earth to sit in.

• DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    I don't know what benefits it would give, but thematically Wager would probably work on a Wrestling Pit to run bets on.

So I guess Wrestling Pit for me.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    edited May 2017
    here are some from the book if it helps
    DEFENSES
    Palisades, earthworks or even a moat. Protects the Ark against enemies on the outside, and makes it harder to slip in or out unnoticed.
    DEV Requirement: None
    Skills: Force or Scout
    Work Points: 2 × number of PCs
    DEV Bonus: Warfare +2D6

HUNTING PARTY

The People organize expeditions into the Zone to track and kill wild beasts for grub.
    Skills: Endure or Shoot
    Work Points: 1 × number of PCs
    DEV Bonus: Food Supply +2D6

CANNIBALISM
    If the Ark is on the brink of starvation, the People can resort to desperate measures.
    Skills: Fight or Manipulate
    DEV Bonus: Food Supply +3D6, Culture −D6 Special: Increase the Session Body Count

CROPLAND

A plot of land is set aside for the organized cul-tivation of grain, corn, turnips, radishes, or even mushrooms. Simple tools like plows and harrows are made and utilized.
    Skills: Endure or Know the Zone
    Work Points: 3 × number of PCs
    DEV Bonus: Food Supply +3D6

SLAVE MARKET
    The Bosses of the Ark start trading in slaves, taken from the People or other groups in the Zone. They trade with each other or with traveling slavers.
    DEV Bonus: Food Supply +D6, Warfare +D6

PIGSTY

Pigs and other farm animals from the Old Age roam free after the Apocalypse and have turned into wild and often heavily mutated creatures. Yet, they can be caught and brought into the service of the People.
    Skills: Endure or Know the Zone
    DEV Bonus: Food Supply +2D6

TEMPLE

A shrine where the People can worship the Ancients in the Sky, the Firstborn Mutant or why not even the Rot itself.
    Skills: Endure or Manipulate
    DEV Bonus: Culture +D6

ZONE WRESTLING
    A metal cage where the strongest mutants fight each other for bullets and glory. Less physically inclined mutants bet on the outcome. No weapons are allowed in the cage, but mutations are considered fair play.
    DEV Bonus: Warfare +D6

ZONE EXPEDITION

An expedition into the Zone is a special type of project, described in detail in Chapter 8. It requires no Work Points and can be undertaken several times over. Only one Zone Expedition can be launched per Assembly. The PCs can decide whether to join the expedition or not.
    Skills: None
    Work Points: None
    DEV Bonus: Variable

[Ones with Requirements we Have]

WATCHTOWER
    Up here, you can spot enemies from afar.
    DEV Requirement: Technology 5
    Skills: Endure or Scout
    DEV Bonus: Warfare +D6

Cheat Sheet on Which Characters are Best Suited for the Respective Jobs (Based just on Skill not Attributes)
    Defenses- Helda West/GG (Force 1),
    Hunting Party- Veritas/El Skid (Shoot 3), Helda West/GG (Shoot 3), Vex/adamb (Shoot 1)
    Cannibalism- Wager/Deadfall (Manipulate 3) , Zent/Egos (Fight 3), Vex/adamb ( Manipulate 3)
    Slave Market- Wager/Deadfall (Manipulate 3) , Zent/Egos (Fight 3), Vex/adamb ( Manipulate 3)
    Cropland - None (we all have 0 in Endure & Know the Zone)
    Temple- Wager/Deadfall (Manipulate 3), Vex/adamb ( Manipulate 3)
    Zone Wrestling- Wager/Deadfall (Manipulate 3) , Zent/Egos (Fight 3), Vex/adamb ( Manipulate 3)

WatchTower- None of us are good at scouting or endure. So zip

Breakdown by Character (not finished)
    Veritas/Elskid
    • Defenses- 5 (5 wits + 0 Scout)
    • Hunting Party- 7 (3 Shoot + 4 Agility)
    • Cannibalism- 3 (3 Strength + 0 Fight)
    • Cropland- 5 (5 Wits for Know the Zone)
    • Slave Market- 3 (3 Strength for Fight)
    • Pigsty - 5 (5 Wits + 0 Know the Zone)
    • Temple- 3 (3 Strength + 0 Endure)
    • Watchtower- 5 (5 Wits +0 Scout)

Helda West/Grunts Ghosts
    • Defenses- 5 (4 Strength + 1 Force)
    • Hunting Party- 8 (3 Shoot + 5 Agility)
    • Cannibalism- 4 (4 Strength +0 Fight)
    • Cropland- 4 (4 Strength +0 Endure)
    • Slave Market- 4 (4 Strength + 0 Fight)
    • Pigsty - 4 (4 Strength +0 Endure)
    • Temple- 4 (4 Strength + 0 Endure)
    • Watchtower- 4 (4 Strength +0 Endure)

Wager/Deadfall
    • Defenses- 4 (4 Wits +0 Scout)
    • Hunting Party- 3 (3 Agility+ 0 Shoot)
    • Cannibalism- 8 (5 Empathy +3 Manipulate)
    • Cropland- 4 (4 Wits +0 Know the Zone)
    • Slave Market- 8 (5 Empathy+ 3 Manipulate)
    • Pigsty - 4 (4 Wits +0 Know the Zone)
    • Temple- 8 (5 Empathy + 3 Manipulate)
    • Watchtower- 4 (4 Wits +0 Scout)

Zent/Egos
    • Defenses- 5 (5 Wits +0 Scout)
    • Hunting Party- 4 (4 Strength+ 0 Endure)
    • Cannibalism- 7 (4 Strength +3 Fight)
    • Cropland- 5 (5 Wits +0 Know the Zone)
    • Slave Market- 7 (4 Strength+ 3 Fight)
    • Pigsty - 5 (5 Wits +0 Know the Zone)
    • Temple- 4 (4 Strength+ 0 Endure)
    • Watchtower- 5 (5 Wits +0 Scout)

Vex/admanb
    • Defenses- 4 (4 Wits +0 Scout)
    • Hunting Party- 4 (3 Agility+ 1 Shoot)
    • Cannibalism- 8 (5 Empathy + 3 Manipulate)
    • Cropland- 4 (4 Wits +0 Know the Zone)
    • Slave Market- 8 (5 Empathy+ 3 Manipulate)
    • Pigsty - 4 (4 Wits +0 Know the Zone)
    • Temple- 8 (5 Empathy+ 3 Manipulate)
    • Watchtower- 4 (4 Wits +0 Scout)

Egos on
    Okay cool Wrestling Cage actually works for my skills and increases War which we discussed in the chat.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I'm down to work on Wrestling.

I'll help with the wrestling also. Provide some muscle.

Is it best to just all go on one thing, mechanically?

edited May 2017
    El Skid wrote: »
    Is it best to just all go on one thing, mechanically?
    edit:
    I'm not entirely sure, up to 3 players can aid another on a roll. I'm not sure if it applies to projects. If it does, that would obviously change things...

"Whenever you like during the session, as long as you are in the Ark, you may choose to work on a project. You can only do this once per session. It doesn’t matter if you as a player started this project or not. Describe what you do and roll dice for one of the skills listed by the project. If you have useful gear, roll Gear Dice for it."

Work Points + Finishing/Working on a Project Info if needed:
    WORK POINTS
    The list of projects (below) tells you how much work a certain project needs to be completed, measured in so called Work Points. The number of Work Points is always multiplied by the number of PCs in your group. Thus, a Palisade needs 4 Work Points for a group with four PCs, but only 2 Work Points in a group with two PCs.

WORKING ON PROJECTS

That a project has been started doesn’t mean that it will be completed. For a project to progress during a session, your characters must work on it. Of course, it’s not just your PCs who are actually working, but their interest is used as an indicator of the commit-ment of the People as a whole.
    Whenever you like during the session, as long as you are in the Ark, you may choose to work on a project. You can only do this once per session. It doesn’t matter if you as a player started this project or not. Describe what you do and roll dice for one of the skills listed by the project. If you have useful gear, roll Gear Dice for it. You can push your roll normally. You can help or hinder another PC, but then you can’t roll for yourself during the session.
    For every / you roll, the remaining Work Points for the project is reduced by one – decrease the number on the Ark Sheet. When the number of remaining Work Points is reduced to zero the project is completed, and can be used in the game by PCs and NPCs alike.

Egos on
    Okay thanks... I actually think I'll stick with the cropland thing for now, as character wise I don't think Veritas would be much interested in cage matches :p

As for the applicable skills- My use of Jury Rig skill is good thematically, but I'll use Know the Zone if I have to choose only between the two listed above.

edited May 2017
    Jury Rig will be fine, like I said I'm taking the list of projects and skills as suggestions, so long as it's reasonable it'll work out. That said working on the projects happens in-game, so you'll have to describe what you are doing when the time comes.

So it looks like the people will be working on a Wrestling Cage and Cropland which means it's time for the Trouble roll, something that is going be going wrong at the start of the session.

Geth, roll 1d52

13, The Derelict Oil Rig, Through the thick fog of the Zone it comes floating slowly – a gigantic rusting metal hulk. The fourlegged oil platform, as tall as the ruins at the heart of the Zone, beaches and casts its ominous shadow over the Ark. What secrets could be hidden inside it? The Oil Rig is moving down the river towards the Ark, maybe it will leave on its own as well. Maybe there are valuables on it. Or maybe it's filled with Zone Ghouls who will kill you all. Someone should probably check.

1d52 13 [1d52=13]

Neaden on
    @Neaden should we finish up Npc+ Pc relationships before starting? Or is it ok if we don't have them down in this instance?

@Neaden Do we want to jump into an IC thread here? We could keep working on setting stuff in this thread while we start our wasteland adventures.

Sounds good, do people want to start in the Ark or in media res already starting to explore the zone?

I'm okay in media res, let's get this going.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    @Neaden Just wanted to make sure you're still there :)

Yeah sorry, I missed the agrees so I was waiting to see if anyone else would weigh in on the media res thing, my bad. In that case the final question is what Hex do you want to start exploring. You are in E16 and we'll say the Oil Rig is in F16. D16 is probably the other logical choice to explore, but any of the squares next to E16 will work. Note that you can explore multiple squares on a single trip.

Also since this is your first trip and we're getting used to the system I'll allow people to retroactively spend Bullets to buy items during the first expedition to make sure everyone doesn't just die of thirst in a day.

I'm okay starting in d16.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    I vote for Oil Rig so F16

Def. oil rig.

edited May 2017
    Sounds good to me.

I should probably read up on the mechanics tonight.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
    Boil rig

So about this
    Neaden wrote: »
    Also since this is your first trip and we're getting used to the system I'll allow people to retroactively spend Bullets to buy items during the first expedition to make sure everyone doesn't just die of thirst in a day.

What items are available to buy for this? Some sort of waterskin? Or are we just talking trading bullets for more water/food?

edited May 2017
    Should we not be using Stat+skill dice on checks? @Grunt's Ghosts I noticed you only rolled 3 dice for Find the path, instead of Agi (5) + skill (3)...

e- Never mind, you rolled them in two separate rolls, rather than rolling 5d6+3d6 in the same one. Never mind!

El Skid on
    I rolled them separate because they have two different colors, green and yellow, and I wasn't sure if that was important to something since I only have the starter rules.

edited May 2017
    Yeah, nothing wrong with that! You can also roll like this in one roll and see them in separate groups. Though you'd probably want to add "for Agility + Finding the Path" to the end to make it clear

Geth roll 5d6+3d6

5d6+3d6 25 [5d6=2, 3, 3, 2, 6] [3d6=4, 3, 2]

El Skid on
    edited May 2017
    @Neaden or anyone familiar , in the book it says I should describe members of my gang. Realize I don't control them. But should I introduce some in my intro post or save it for later? Or post here who some are?

edit: think I saw mention of this under the description for Command in Skills

Egos on
    El Skid wrote: »
    So about this
    Neaden wrote: »

What items are available to buy for this? Some sort of waterskin? Or are we just talking trading bullets for more water/food?

Sorry, I thought it was in the quickstart. Right now Grub costs a bullet and water is plentiful enough that it doesn't cost anything. Other small items like a scrap-rifle don't have a defined cost, you'll have to bargain and spend some bullets.
    Egos wrote: »
    @Neaden or anyone familiar , in the book it says I should describe members of my gang. Realize I don't control them. But should I introduce some in my intro post or save it for later? Or post here who some are?

edit: think I saw mention of this under the description for Command in Skills

You can describe them now, or even have some with you on the expedition, or you can wait for later. It's up to you.

just double checking before I post , are people in the skyscraper mentioned in Neaden's original post or some other random building?

My vote is we can scout around a bit first (hopefully finding a boat or maybe an artifact), and then head over to the rig. On the way home we could even grab some meat if we're in any shape to be taking on the grazers..

Someone needs to decide what bonus we get. I'm good with just about anything -- more resources, an artifact, or just shorter/safer travel are all good. I vote @Grunt's Ghosts for the final decision, since they're the scout.

I'm cool with artifact or grub, although I think we could hunt the Grazers for grub without much problem as I think I'm good at shooting things. Exploring things in half the time is also sounding good.

My vote goes toward artifact to help with DEV. But I'm down with anything.

Egos wrote: »
    My vote goes toward artifact to help with DEV. But I'm down with anything.

Let's do it!

@Neaden to set the scene.