As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New To Pin Trading - Any Tips for a Newbie?

DerpDogDerpDog Registered User regular
Hello wild and wonderful world of Pinny and Penny Arcade!!

So I will admit - I am a newbie to pretty much all of this. I started to read and watch a lot of the comics and videos on the site fairly recently and found the cool world of Pinny Arcade. I looked at the store and admired how cool a lot of these pins look and then of course stumbled upon here and didn't even realize there was such a big culture of Pin Trading and admiration!

So my questions really are is - What is the best way to get started? I didn't see a post or anything (though I could of missed it, I am a derp after all). Is the best way just to start to buy pins and go from there? Or really is it if I am ever able to get to a PAX to look for pins to buy there to hopefully trade etc?

Any help is greatly appreciated. If this post was by some chance supposed to be somewhere else or something please let me know and I will apologize and hope I don't get yelled at too much while showing cute pictures of Corgis or something :P

Thanks!
-The Newb DerpDog

• luckycharmluckycharm Perth, AURegistered User regular
    Welcome DerpDog!

I would start here:
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/202774/pinny-pal-community-thread-3-0-new-pinny-arcade-fans-start-here-winter-is-coming-soon/p1

If you have any specific questions, please ask, we love new people! <3

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    Step 1: create a budget.
    Step 2: stay within your budget.
    Step 3: have fun buying and trading pins.

"Popular" is all in the eye of the beholder. Keep in mind that some IPs have more beholders than others (Blizzard vs Age of Empires). New sets, like the Nintendo ones, tend to trade well with veterans who have a lot of trade stock and are trying to keep costs down at PAX.

Don't be afraid to say no thanks to a trade. You are not obligated to trade with someone. If you feel it isn't a fair deal, you can always ask to think about it and come back later, or ask nearby trustworthy people (such as Hingo, I hear he's a solid guy) to help you with trade valuation. Or, you might have the pin on your lanyard for show, and will never trade it. These are your pins, do what you want with them.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Corgis are definitely ok with at least a few of our members - some even go so far as to like them.

I would definitely start with the pinned threads, and there is always a pin trading panel put on by community members at each and every PAX - often they give away pins too!

And there's always new traders, so we're always happy to help, whether at PAX or on the forums.

Welcome aboard.

• DerpDogDerpDog Registered User regular
    Thanks so much for the information I really appreciate it all! I will have to start with the information you provided and go from there. I would love to get to a PAX one day and check out all the pins and meet some fun people. I still never been to one and they look like a lot of fun.

And yes @Senno I am a big corgi lover but I love other dogs. If they came out with cute corgi pins I would be on those so fast :)

• Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    DerpDog wrote: »
    If they came out with cute corgi pins I would be on those so fast :)

Ahem...

NJAvT5n.jpg

OMG *dies* That is absolutely one I need to find!

• ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    OMG *dies* That is absolutely one I need to find!

As a fellow corgi owner, this was the first pin that I sought out, instead of just casually picking up at a PAX

B2YfFSb.png
    Yeah I will have to look for that one as well. I unfortunately can't own a corgi where I currently leave but I have loved them for years. That and German Shepard. If they have German Shepard pins out there as well that woul dbe another one I would have to look into.

I feel like I might have the best luck at getting pins by going to a PAX one day. though I do see a lot of them available on different sites.

That and German Shepard. If they have German Shepard pins out there as well that woul dbe another one I would have to look into.

Ahem again...

3d4icxf.jpg

....my god lol - So those two pins are definitely on my want list. No idea how I can find them out there but can try

The Corgi is the Jamie staff pin (series 2).
    GSD is "Dogmeat" from Bethesda for Fallout.

For trades look to Pinny Pals and the Pinny Pal slack chat. Otherwise neither are very rare, should be able to buy them pretty easily still as well.

Oh that is good to hear - I am starting to scour the interwebs to see what I can find with those. Because I have no pins so far I don't think the Pinny Pals trade will work right now. I figure I have to get a few before looking into trading I would think.

• SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    You might want to check out www.pinnypals.com - it has a database of every pin, when it was first available, and even can link you to fellow traders.

Yup thanks for the info - I don't have any pins yet but probably a good place to start :)

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    @DerpDog also check out the pin wiki if you want even more info - http://pinnypedia.org/index.php?title=Welcome_to_Pinnypedia!

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
    Thanks @Hingo ! Yeah There seems to be so much stuff so trying to absorb it all. I think my first mission is to try and collect all the Dog Pinnys I can :)