As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Coda

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Coda

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• prime_pmprime_pm Registered User regular
    By the time Winds of Winter is finally finished, Tool will have released a new album.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Martin and Rothfuss might be in some sort of reverse race. Last one to finish his series wins.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    196548_1.jpg

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hah.

I don't remember seeing Rothfuss in comic form before.

Love the extra long beard.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's funny, I sent a tweet to Jerry about a month back or so, and in the content of my tweet I suggested to him that he use his dark powers of friendship with Patrick Rothfuss to politely suggest that he finish his damn book.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I assume Jerry's dark powers have already given him access to a rough draft of book 3.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    I was 18 years old and a freshman in college when I first read A Game of Thrones; that was ... roughly October of 1996.

I'm 39 now, closing in on 40 ....

Get your shit together, George.

I won't live forever, goddammit.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    ...Here is the thing, George Martin is an artist with a vision, but seriously he should just hire a ghost writer to wrap this shit up. He's got the money and the investment of a ghost writer will more than pay for themselves. If he hasn't been bullshitting us he should be almost done with the next book and needs someone to bring it over the finish line.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    ...Here is the thing, George Martin is an artist with a vision, but seriously he should just hire a ghost writer to wrap this shit up. He's got the money and the investment of a ghost writer will more than pay for themselves. If he hasn't been bullshitting us he should be almost done with the next book and needs someone to bring it over the finish line.

I was going to say that I've never read a ghostwriter who wrote a book that was worthwhile. But then I realized that if they were a TRUE ghostwriter, I wouldn't have even known it.

Well, I guess if they were a TRUE ghostwriter, they'd probably have a time tapping on the keys...

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Just get Sanderson to finish it like he did Wheel of Time.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I was 18 years old and a freshman in college when I first read A Game of Thrones; that was ... roughly October of 1996.

It's about the same for me. Started reading the series in college. I'm now 37. At the current speed, the final book won't be released until my niece starts college, and she turns four in July.

• rlloyd3rlloyd3 Registered User new member
    Winds isn't even the final book; there's another coming after it.

• bbullockbbullock Registered User regular
    It's the "Kingkiller Chronicles," we expect a king to be killed.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »

I was going to say that I've never read a ghostwriter who wrote a book that was worthwhile. But then I realized that if they were a TRUE ghostwriter, I wouldn't have even known it.

Well, I guess if they were a TRUE ghostwriter, they'd probably have a time tapping on the keys...

A TRUE Ghost Writer would assemble the books out of nearby letters.

steam_sig.png
    bbullock wrote: »

We don't even know who the king is yet.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular

Spoiler: the real Kingkiller is man.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

My money is on Ambrose.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

A TRUE Ghost Writer would assemble the books out of nearby letters.

But there's a LOT of letters in a novel. Is this going to be like he movable letter store signs, where they run out of Ls and Ms and have to start using 1s and upside-down Ws? I'm not sure I'm up to reading that.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    GONG-00 wrote: »

My money is on Ambrose.

Far too obvious for Rothfuss, I think. But maybe, I'm wrong, obvious doesn't mean bad.

In addition to Book 3, I'm really looking forward to the series/film with Lin-Manuel Miranda.

GDT1985 on
  • yukonaaronyukonaaron Registered User new member
    Jerry did warn him what happens when you interfere with The "C" Team

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I'm always of two minds on this sort of thing. I can relate to the concept of 'it's their life and their decision, they don't owe you anything' but on the other hand, if you create an emotional investment in something but then leave it hanging, you do have SOME level of responsibility. And telling your fans to fuck off for asking about it is ridiculous at best.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I'm sorry, I've not read the books and only got thru the first 4 seasons of the TV show, I think, but when is a king NOT getting killed?

Show should be called Game of Dead Kings, there's so many dead kings up in there.

Oops, spoilers I guess..

jwalk on
  • RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I think they're confusing GRRM with Alan Moore.

Which story will be finished first, Hunter x Hunter's manga or ASOFAI.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
    jwalk wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I've not read the books and only got thru the first 4 seasons of the TV show, I think, but when is a king NOT getting killed?

Show should be called Game of Dead Kings, there's so many dead kings up in there.

Oops, spoilers I guess..

He is speaking to Patrick Rothfuss, author of The King Killer Chronicles. A trilogy in which only two parts have been released, and in which a king has not been killed. It is good, look it up.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    I'm always of two minds on this sort of thing. I can relate to the concept of 'it's their life and their decision, they don't owe you anything' but on the other hand, if you create an emotional investment in something but then leave it hanging, you do have SOME level of responsibility. And telling your fans to fuck off for asking about it is ridiculous at best.

Well he has some level of responsibility to the contract I'm assuming he signed to be paid to write the third book. Besides that he doesn't owe anyone anything ever. That being said everyone also doesn't owe him to just be nice to him either. I personally don't care when he finishes his book. There's plenty of other media for me to enjoy but I would like it done at some point. However there are people that get mad at everything so it's pretty par for the course for people to be upset at famous people for one reason or another.

They finished Duke Nukem Forever, I'm assuming they'll finish ASOIAF and KKC at some point as well.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    thanks but, that's not George RR Martin? I see no reference to this other author or book in the comic. hence I guess, my confusion.

thanks but, that's not George RR Martin? I see no reference to this other author or book in the comic. hence I guess, my confusion.

Correct. The man pictured with the beard in the 3rd panel is Patrick Rothfuss, author of the Kingkiller Chronicles, which has been stalled out waiting for the 3rd book for a really long time.

Pat Rothfuss is a good friend and co-collaborator with Mike and Jerry on their Acquisitions Inc D&D campaign.

The joke here is that Mike, Jerry, and Pat are at lunch together, talking about how ridiculous GRRM's body of work is, in the context of these new spinoff shows. Then Jerry makes a mean jab at his buddy Pat who is also notorious for not finishing his book.

The line "Just kill the fucking king already" is because we're two books deep in the Kingkiller Chronicles and we do not even know who the king is, and he is still alive as far as we know. There has certainly been no king killing thus far.

I, like Jerry, find it odd that Penny Arcade does all these things, which they talk about all the time, and people still don't know about them. I guess people just click on the comics and never look at anything else?

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Correct. The man pictured with the beard in the 3rd panel is Patrick Rothfuss, author of the Kingkiller Chronicles, which has been stalled out waiting for the 3rd book for a really long time.

Pat Rothfuss is a good friend and co-collaborator with Mike and Jerry on their Acquisitions Inc D&D campaign.

The joke here is that Mike, Jerry, and Pat are at lunch together, talking about how ridiculous GRRM's body of work is, in the context of these new spinoff shows. Then Jerry makes a mean jab at his buddy Pat who is also notorious for not finishing his book.

The line "Just kill the fucking king already" is because we're two books deep in the Kingkiller Chronicles and we do not even know who the king is, and he is still alive as far as we know. There has certainly been no king killing thus far.

Oh okay, I was not familar with Pat and thought it was Alan Moore or future universe GRRM.

All these fantasy writers with beards like wizards, man!

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular

Bleh you just reminded me that I haven't finished A Wheel of Time series yet. A series that I started reading when I was 12 and I'm about to turn 40 next month...

I think I still need to read the last Robert Jordan one and all of the Sanderson ones. But I can't just do that cause I've gotta reread all the others first.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    rlloyd3 wrote: »
    Winds isn't even the final book; there's another coming after it.
    The dream of A Dream of Summer will never end.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Spoiler: the real Kingkiller is man.
    I think the real Kingkiller is the friends we made along the way. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    edited May 2017
    For reference, they did a comic about Kingkiller Chronicles a couple years ago.
    1247464133_Q5635-2100x20000.jpg

Lucascraft on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That shit got me to buy the first book. I don't remember any of it happening though... but it was awesome and I got hooked on the series. I'll finish the second book someday, and then I can be mad that the third one isn't out yet!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That shit got me to buy the first book. I don't remember any of it happening though... but it was awesome and I got hooked on the series. I'll finish the second book someday, and then I can be mad that the third one isn't out yet!

So how far into the second book did you read because...
    he pretty much fucks an eternal sex goddess and is the only mortal to ever stop fucking her and go back to real life

Metal Jared on
    BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Minor book 2 spoilers:
    All three panels in the comic refer to specific events within book 2. And honestly, none of those panels are an exaggeration. That stuff basically happens exactly as detailed in the comic.

• PavioPavio Registered User regular
    This comic is amazing.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

3 musketeers and count of monte cristo are good.
    Still I like the idea of a writer so good, nobody knows they wrote some of the best works.

Oh you liked Atonement? Well it was really written by Robby Goldstein. You didn't even know.

Maybe even more meta write a book about it, with a ghost writer.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Bleh you just reminded me that I haven't finished A Wheel of Time series yet. A series that I started reading when I was 12 and I'm about to turn 40 next month...

I think I still need to read the last Robert Jordan one and all of the Sanderson ones. But I can't just do that cause I've gotta reread all the others first.

I'm on the last book!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    lets see, Wheel of Time... best to worst in the series

four, The Shadow Rising -or- Adventures of Perrin the Big. Damn. Hero.
    one, two, three, When the dark things are still fucking scary to bump into.
    seven Rand v. Samael
    nine, ten, Perrin the Conqueror

the sanderson trio (12,13,14) Matrim is finally a badass. We all knew he was, but here he shines brightest.

five, RRAAAAHHHHVVIIINNNN!!!!
    six, it puts the lotion on or it goes back into the box again.

[keep going...]

eleven. kinda vague... what's happening?
    eight. Path of Daggers was a slog and went *no where*

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN