As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Coda

• naerylannaerylan Registered User new member
    Comic is funny exactly because of how true it is. Every time I see Pat post a blog about random crap I don't care about, or spend hours playing D&D, I just want to reach through the internet and smack him one. JUST FINISH BOOK 3 FFS, I scream in vain. It'd be different if the blog actually had book news scattered here and there. Instead it's a black hole. If the first 2 books (ok, 2 and a half?) weren't SO awesome, and Patrick not SUCH a cool guy, it wouldn't be such an agonizing wait. I'd have given it up as a bad deal ages ago. I laughed when I understood the punchline here, but the more I think on it the more I feel that Mike and Jerry should be putting ACTUAL pressure on their good buddy to finish his work. This strip is what led me to read the series in the first place after all. And then they abducted the author and left him wandering the Forgotton Realms or somesuch place. Bring him back already, I say. :P

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I, having not touched my own stories in years, cannot criticize anyone for slow writing. However, I at least know how my story will end. I just need to get going on the middle bits. I don't understand having trouble with the end, since I tend to conceptualize that first. I mean, isn't the whole point of the story typically contained in the end? What are you building to if you have no idea where it's going to end up?

I guess I tend to assume that stories, especially fantasies, will have a moral or punch of some sort that would define the ending.

• WitowtWitowt Registered User regular
    I don't understand how they manage to interact with Pat on a daily basis without constantly accusing him of procrastination

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    It turns out that friends don't bug their friends about shit like that.

• TransluciaTranslucia Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    When you are writing arguably some of the greatest novels ever written by a human being in the history of time, nobody gets to tell you anything. Bob Dylan said you have a destiny and you just know it and you stick with it no matter what anyone says. It's in his 60 minutes interview. He won the Nobel Prize in literature last year, ya'll.

Translucia on
    edited May 2017
    Tycho is supposed to have a book of poems or something, right? Where's that at???

Anyone ever read that Bukowski poem "so you want to be a writer?" That guy.

Translucia on
    edited May 2017
    Translucia on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Is there a good audiobook for the Rothfuss books?

I always hear good things but I have trouble reading novels.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    That shit got me to buy the first book. I don't remember any of it happening though... but it was awesome and I got hooked on the series. I'll finish the second book someday, and then I can be mad that the third one isn't out yet!

Minor book 2 spoilers:
    All three panels in the comic refer to specific events within book 2. And honestly, none of those panels are an exaggeration. That stuff basically happens exactly as detailed in the comic.

the 4th panel where they discuss it is pretty great too

https://youtu.be/o729s5kc6zo

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

I have only "read" it through the audiobooks; the narrator (Nick Podehl) is fantastic, great voices.

minor book 2
    for the Cthaeh, he does a pretty great vocal impression of The Joker by Heath Ledger, at least in cadence.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    KalTorak wrote: »

I have only "read" it through the audiobooks; the narrator (Nick Podehl) is fantastic, great voices.

minor book 2
    for the Cthaeh, he does a pretty great vocal impression of The Joker by Heath Ledger, at least in cadence.

Sweet!

I'll look into picking this up then.

I always forget audio books exist for some reason.

Thanks!

edit: Ok, anyone know if I buy the audio book on amazon if I can listen to it WITHOUT audible? I'm not interesting in paying monthly to listen to just these two books..

DemonStacey on
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    It turns out that friends don't bug their friends about shit like that.

That, plus what's the WORST way to motivate someone to work on something creative? That's right, nagging. That's not exactly muse-level shit.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I, having not touched my own stories in years, cannot criticize anyone for slow writing. However, I at least know how my story will end. I just need to get going on the middle bits. I don't understand having trouble with the end, since I tend to conceptualize that first. I mean, isn't the whole point of the story typically contained in the end? What are you building to if you have no idea where it's going to end up?

I guess I tend to assume that stories, especially fantasies, will have a moral or punch of some sort that would define the ending.
    I think it's less "I don't know how it ends" and more "I haven't written the ending yet." Thinking up ends to stories (and beginnings, and middles) is child's play. Like, it's literally child's play - children make up stories all the time. Actually writing novels is much harder. If you don't believe me, think about why you haven't touched your own stories in years. Now consider that instead of just having to finish the book, Rothfuss also wants to make it good. That's even more work! Instead of writing any old bullshit, he's trying to write a good book. That's not easy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    From what I've heard of Rothfuss, book 3 is finished and it has been in editing hell for like 4 years. He wants it to be perfect, and until he is satisfied with it it will remain in editing. But the story itself is complete.

As someone who is Rothfuss adjacent, the bile that gets slung at him over not writing the book that he doesn't fucking owe anyone is so overwhelming that it annoys me, who barely has to deal with it. If I were him I would be reaching the point where I just say "no, fuck you all, you don't get to find out how it ends" and retire to Hawaii. Every single time he's on something PA related someone will start screaming at him in the chat/social media or whatever that he's a piece of shit for not writing the book that they think they're entitled to.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

minor book 2

Sweet!

Thanks!

edit: Ok, anyone know if I buy the audio book on amazon if I can listen to it WITHOUT audible? I'm not interesting in paying monthly to listen to just these two books..

audible is owned by amazon, and you can buy and listen to individual items through the audible app without needing the subscription.

Psykoma on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Before retiring to Hawaii, he should release a text file through social media like "I'm so sorry I didn't finish my book as fast as you all demanded. As compensation, here is the entire story for free!"

Then, when you download it and open it it just says "THEY ALL DIED. FUCK YOU!"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    As someone who is Rothfuss adjacent, the bile that gets slung at him over not writing the book that he doesn't fucking owe anyone is so overwhelming that it annoys me, who barely has to deal with it. If I were him I would be reaching the point where I just say "no, fuck you all, you don't get to find out how it ends" and retire to Hawaii. Every single time he's on something PA related someone will start screaming at him in the chat/social media or whatever that he's a piece of shit for not writing the book that they think they're entitled to.

Folks should get used to patiently waiting for Pat because it is clear from the trilogy's narrative structure that book 3 will not tie up all the plot threads that Rothfuss has weaved so far.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »

minor book 2

Sweet!

Thanks!

audible is owned by amazon, and you can buy and listen to individual items through the audible app without needing the subscription.

though, if you've never subscribed to audible, it may be worth your while digging up a promo code for a subscription (they should be everywhere given how often they advertise on podcasts). you can probably get the two books for pretty cheap that way.

Yeah there will certainly be a free audiobook sign up deal going on.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    GDT1985 wrote: »
    I, like Jerry, find it odd that Penny Arcade does all these things, which they talk about all the time, and people still don't know about them. I guess people just click on the comics and never look at anything else?

correct. I have clicked on PA's comic since about 1998? 99?
    maybe once or twice have listened to their podcasts, which are excellent and I always tell myself I should listen more, I just don't have the time.
    there's probably a million more like me who don't even know the forums exist. fyi.

• WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    Hmmm... No callout to the Paul and Storm Wootstock 3 definitive answer from GRRM on the topic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vw9RTVky4

On the one hand, writing is art and an author should get the vision perfected and release it when it's ready, otoh, the specific arc setup fashion of the GRRM and Rothfuss writing has a large set of unresolved hooks.

I would say the size of those hooks determines the size of the implied guarantee from the author of completing a series. If they ended all Marvel movies now... I'd be okay... the Infinity Gauntlet hooks aren't that big and there's various comics that cover the same story lines. But if Rowling had decided to go hermit in the woods and not write Deathly Hallows... I could see the outrage from a generation of people cursing her name daily.

It was an important enough "implied guarantee" from Jordan that he used part of his known final year of life to present his complete vision of WoT to be handed off to another writer.

twmjr wrote: »

minor book 2

Sweet!

Thanks!

though, if you've never subscribed to audible, it may be worth your while digging up a promo code for a subscription (they should be everywhere given how often they advertise on podcasts). you can probably get the two books for pretty cheap that way.

Yea on amazon it says a month free and I can get the book free as well.

Does that mean I can click that and immediately cancel and just have my free book?

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular

minor book 2

Sweet!

Thanks!

Does that mean I can click that and immediately cancel and just have my free book?

Pretty much what I did with the promo. Get World War Z for free, bought the Rothfuss books, then cancelled.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    GONG-00 wrote: »

minor book 2

Sweet!

Thanks!

Pretty much what I did with the promo. Get World War Z for free, bought the Rothfuss books, then cancelled.

Yep. Just gave me 3 free books and then I cancelled and now listening to the first Rothfuss book.

Shweeet.

I guess this comic worked as a form of advertising huh.

• JayCarrJayCarr Registered User regular
    Shots fired

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular

I think it's less "I don't know how it ends" and more "I haven't written the ending yet." Thinking up ends to stories (and beginnings, and middles) is child's play. Like, it's literally child's play - children make up stories all the time. Actually writing novels is much harder. If you don't believe me, think about why you haven't touched your own stories in years. Now consider that instead of just having to finish the book, Rothfuss also wants to make it good. That's even more work! Instead of writing any old bullshit, he's trying to write a good book. That's not easy.

I wonder if it also has to do with the expectation we place on endings to be the best part of the series when that rarely ends up being the case. There's no reason an ending has to be perfect, but so many fans crucify authors for the ending not living up to some insane expectation that they don't even exactly understand.

• bbullockbbullock Registered User regular
    @Tube
    It's fun to give Rothfuss crap to a certain extent, because he seems to mostly take it in a good natured way (and the line about killing the king is pretty funny) but every time something like this comes up, I can't help but think of this Neil Gaiman blog:

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html?m=1

The question that inspires it is maybe halfway down the page, depending on your monitor size.

• Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular

Well unless he has a contract with a book publisher to publish said book, he would owe those people something and would also probably not be able to retire to Hawaii until it's done. I can see people in business with him being upset with good reason. Anyone else is welcome to be upset but I agree they aren't owed anything by Patrick.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Patrick's a decent guy who does a lot of good for others. As far as I'm concerned he can retire and spend his days on a tropical island for all I care.

ziddersroofurry on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Audible is fun. I've been using it to work through the Dresden Files whenever I have to drive somewhere far away. Just finished Dead Beat, so apparently I'm traveling a fair amount.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    ...Viari's a writer? :P

• Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited May 2017

Well unless he has a contract with a book publisher to publish said book, he would owe those people something and would also probably not be able to retire to Hawaii until it's done. I can see people in business with him being upset with good reason. Anyone else is welcome to be upset but I agree they aren't owed anything by Patrick.

As a guy that doesn't have much stake in the series, who doesn't really even pay attention to news about deadlines for video games or anything else, and who has never pestered Rothfuss about it:
    A part of me feels like that fame really isn't doing the art any favors since there's none of the impetus or pressure to get the book done. Like maybe Rothfuss and Martin do need to be a little hungry for it. Now, they're famous enough that they get the time to finely filigree every leaf and lazily saunter out and smell the flowers every time they're hit with writer's block. It's an enviable lifestyle, but I'm not convinced it makes a better final product.
    Any other fantasy author would've moved onto other books by now.
    One of my petty criticisms is that Rothfuss/Martin has enough ideas to write several smaller books but seems nonetheless insistent on getting them all down in one perfected masterpiece.

Twenty Sided on
    edited May 2017
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    ...Viari's a writer? :P

That reminds me - in The Name of the Wind, Viari makes a cameo as one of Lorren's gillers, is described pretty much exactly as he appears in Acq Inc., and one character even says that he "works in acquisitions." TNotW came out a year before the first AI podcast, and Viari didn't appear until years later. Is this a retcon or something, or did Rothfuss just happen to have this character hanging around that worked in acquisitions that happened to fit right into the D&D party?

KalTorak on
  • GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    I think it is rather obvious that he remembered the side character once he was asked to play with Acquisitions Inc. As I recall Viari appears on like two pages, and is never mentioned again. I find it odd that Pat has such a vivid personality for a seemingly unimportant character.(Though, there is the matter of "Doors of Stone." ) Though I also assume that the two are quite divergent at this point.

It's a cool little easter egg for the most part; I was mostly just blown by the fact that he explicitly "works in acquisitions" - i mean, how's that for a coincidence?

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    It's a cool little easter egg for the most part; I was mostly just blown by the fact that he explicitly "works in acquisitions" - i mean, how's that for a coincidence?

It is crazy, is what it is. I'm not sure, but I don't think they knew him at the time.(total speculation) Life has so many weird moments like that.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular

Here's an alternative theory for you. The Name of the Wind was published in 2007. Acq Inc was started in 2008. Jerry's brain knowingly or otherwise pulled the "acquisitions" out of his memory of his recent Rothfuss read.

Of course, I have no idea how any of that holds up. No idea if Jerry read it around when it was published, or closer to the date they did the comic (which IIRC was inspired by Mike's reading it).

As a guy that doesn't have much stake in the series, who doesn't really even pay attention to news about deadlines for video games or anything else, and who has never pestered Rothfuss about it:
    A part of me feels like that fame really isn't doing the art any favors since there's none of the impetus or pressure to get the book done. Like maybe Rothfuss and Martin do need to be a little hungry for it. Now, they're famous enough that they get the time to finely filigree every leaf and lazily saunter out and smell the flowers every time they're hit with writer's block. It's an enviable lifestyle, but I'm not convinced it makes a better final product.
    Any other fantasy author would've moved onto other books by now.
    One of my petty criticisms is that Rothfuss/Martin has enough ideas to write several smaller books but seems nonetheless insistent on getting them all down in one perfected masterpiece.

One of the things I was told gets more true the older I get, done is better than perfect.

edited May 2017
    -Double post

Metal Jared on