As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - I Just Know It

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited May 2017 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, May 16, 2017 - I Just Know It

I Just Know It

I Just Know It

http://campcomic.com/comic/428

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    These two. I just love these two.
    And the kitty

• Options
    RoaringRavenRoaringRaven Registered User regular
    Aw man, I had a nice layer of ice coating my heart and you go ahead and melt it with these two. Thanks a lot.

(But seriously I love this strip. So sweet!)

• Options
    briguybriguy Registered User regular
    Since Malachi wants Jessie's girl
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=qYkbTyHXwbs

• Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    It's crazy how both Penny Arcade and a comic hosted by Penny Arcade have discussed Jessie's Girl. https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/10/24

• Options
    MrSmfwicMrSmfwic San Antonio, TxRegistered User new member
    I don't think it's crazy... Are you saying if you did a web comic you would never discuss Jessie's Girl?!? That's crazy!

• Options
    PezJunkiePezJunkie Registered User new member
    I had to look it up... Apparently "Late Late at Night" is really a real autobiography written by the real Rick Springfield. (Really.)

• Options
    Sensei Le RoofSensei Le Roof Registered User regular
    I wanna tell him Queen is better, but the point is probably moot.

• Options
    SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    It's crazy how both Penny Arcade and a comic hosted by Penny Arcade have discussed Jessie's Girl. https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/10/24
    Man, without getting into a thing, I miss that vintage penny arcade style.

• Options
    Curse this comic for getting Jessie's Girl stuck in my head. I caught myself singing it in the shower, and thought why the hell? then I remembered and now I can't get it out.

• Options
    Kairos615Kairos615 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    @Sixyt If we're talking vintage Penny Arcade, I just want to remind everyone of https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/10/the-skills
    Probably my favorite PA strip ever.

Kairos615 on
  • Options
    AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    PezJunkie wrote: »
    I had to look it up... Apparently "Late Late at Night" is really a real autobiography written by the real Rick Springfield. (Really.)

I spent a holiday season working at Target. At one point, my job was to round up every unsold copy of Late, Late At Night (and there were many) because they were being sent back to the publisher to, I guess, become pulp. But that always stuck with me and was the inspiration for the Camp Weedonwantcha Library.

• Options
    AdamRW wrote: »
    PezJunkie wrote: »

I spent a holiday season working at Target. At one point, my job was to round up every unsold copy of Late, Late At Night (and there were many) because they were being sent back to the publisher to, I guess, become pulp. But that always stuck with me and was the inspiration for the Camp Weedonwantcha Library.

Woo, I worked at Target for like 2 or 3 years. Sadly just before Late Late at Night came out, but I worked electronics/music/books/movies and I spent so much time shipping unloved works back to the publishers.

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular

Is this the real life?

• Options
    Jinjur Ale Jinjur Ale Registered User regular
    I love it that it's the same cat from the last update rather than a random there for us to find. Thank you for the continuity.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Sarge wrote: »

Is this the real life?

In a bit of serendipity for me, Bohemian Rhapsody was on the radio when I was out driving earlier.

Sacha Baron Cohen had an interesting take on the Queen movie when he was in talks to star in it:
    "A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle,’ “And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’ “I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’"

Which is true. People want to see Freddie Mercury. He really was the heart and soul of Queen.

briguy on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    To be honest, a few years back when Queen was touring with Adam Lambert my sister (who's a huge Queen fan) really wanted to go and didn't know anyone else who was available, so I figured 'what the hell'. It was a really fun concert; Lambert makes a very good fill-in for Mercury (the voice, the flamboyant stage presence, etc), and Brian May and Roger Taylor were very good live.

But yeah, I can't see people wanting to see a movie that tries to pretend the post-Freddie era was anything more than a legacy act touring because they could. The story people want to see is the rise, the glory, and the tragedy. Not the moderately stable long-tail into obsolescence.

...can't believe this is my first post for this comic. Hi Katie & Adam! Long-time reader first-time commenter. Started reading CW and discovered Skadi thanks to Stripsearch. I fell out of the loop for a while but about a month ago I finally started getting caught up on a lot of stuff I'd been missing. Sad to see Skadi ended, but it was really cool. CW remains one of my all-time favorite comics, right up there with Calvin & Hobbes, Pogo, and Penny Arcade. Thanks for all the great work!

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ThesammichmasterThesammichmaster Registered User regular
    I'm expecting a "Linus Singing" Storyline.

• Options
    I'm just gonna leave this right about here...
    https://youtu.be/aTLb1_m-cGg

• Options
    SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    Gotta say, there was no interest in making a Freddie Mercury biopic. Zero. People tried to raise the money for one for years. The producers gave up the rights and optioned a biopic for Queen. Then tried to make a Freddie biopic anyway. When the band told them no and pointed to their contract showing they go to say no, Baron Cohen started telling that story in interviews. Sounded bogus to me then and it still does now.

Just like people are not lining up to hear the Great Pretender or Freddie Mercury solo act tribute bands. Freddie was only apart of Queen's success, the others have very individual stories as well. Brian May, John Deacond and Roger Taylor are music gods, great musicians and the creators of a unique brand of music.

• Options
    SkizzSkizz Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oooops, I digressed. I WAS just going to say what an awwwww moment that was, gave me the happy smile face.

Skizz on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Skizz wrote: »
    Freddie was only apart of Queen's success...

Oh my god. I can't believe Brian May reads (and comments!) on our comic!

AdamRW on
  • Options
    @H3Knuckles That's awesome! Thanks for reading and for taking the time to comment! Katie and I read them all and it's by far the best part of this whole thing.

• Options
    MSD3000MSD3000 Registered User new member
    Good thing he didn't want to hear "It's the End of the World as We Know It" Nobody can remember those lyrics.

• Options
    evileeyoreevileeyore Grognard 100 hurricane swampRegistered User regular
    Dammit. Now I'm crying. These kids don't even have music?

So much sadness.

• Options
    davidhbrowndavidhbrown Registered User regular
    Hey, @BriGuy, if it's 70s-80s pop/rock, surely you mean, "In a bit of Synchronicity for me..."

• Options
    AberrantWolfAberrantWolf Registered User regular
    And now I must listen to Jessie's Girl. Thanks.

• Options
    Wait, what did I miss? Where? Is Skizz Brian May? He referenced Brian May in his comment calling him a rock god, which he is, but one would never refer to one's self as such, cause that's weird. Anyway I'm blonde and need a little help here.
    Hey, @BriGuy, if it's 70s-80s pop/rock, surely you mean, "In a bit of Synchronicity for me..."

Isn't that a bit, ya know, stalker esque music.

• Options
    SIXyt wrote: »
    Wait, what did I miss? Where? Is Skizz Brian May? He referenced Brian May in his comment calling him a rock god, which he is, but one would never refer to one's self as such, cause that's weird. Anyway I'm blonde and need a little help here.

Isn't that a bit, ya know, stalker esque music.

Every Breath You Take is Neiman's and Malachi's song.

• Options
    MechaBillMechaBill Registered User regular
    My favorite Rick Springfield song is "Human Touch"

https://youtu.be/yo0uTu2uLtI

• Options
    MechaBill wrote: »
    My favorite Rick Springfield song is "Human Touch"I
    Rick himself forgot that song.

• Options
    SargeSarge Registered User regular
    briguy wrote: »
    Sarge wrote: »

Is this the real life?

In a bit of serendipity for me, Bohemian Rhapsody was on the radio when I was out driving earlier.

Sacha Baron Cohen had an interesting take on the Queen movie when he was in talks to star in it:
    "A member of the band – I won’t say who – said: ‘You know, this is such a great movie because it’s got such an amazing thing that happens in the middle,’ “And I go: ‘What happens in the middle of the movie?’ He goes: ‘You know, Freddie dies.’ ... I go: ‘What happens in the second half of the movie?’ He goes: ‘We see how the band carries on from strength to strength.’ “I said: ‘Listen, not one person is going to see a movie where the lead character dies from Aids and then you see how the band carries on.’"

Which is true. People want to see Freddie Mercury. He really was the heart and soul of Queen.
    Is this just fantasy?
    Caught in a landslide.
    No escape from reality.

• Options
    SinistroSinistro Registered User new member
    edited May 2017
    This is such a relatable and warm moment. I love how you guys can be sweet without being glurgy.

That said, I did a double take at Malachi's "But I *never got* to hear a single one". Why wouldn't he say "I've never heard..." instead? Although I'm not a native speaker, I'd expect someone saying "I never got to hear" if he thinks he's never going to have the chance again. Is this Malachi tacitly acknowledging that he's never going to leave the camp?

Sinistro on
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Sinistro , you have to understand this is through the eyes of a child where the future is always ambiguous and the possibilities are unimaginable. To Mal he is going to be at camp forever, because that's kind of how a child's mind works. Think of your childhood home when you were his age, that house, that neighborhood, that school was your entire world. The finer points of speech are based on perception more than reality.

SIXyt on
  • Options
    xUsakoxUsako Registered User regular
    Well crap, I never thought that far ahead and now I realize those kids probably really are stuck there forever... I can't recall, was it ever stated how old the camp is or who the camper that has lived there the longest is?

• Options
    WenxioxWenxiox Registered User new member
    Xusako, have you ever considered that they are in Neverland and so they will be there forever! Maybe the lost boys just managed to get away from the camp ;)

• Options
    xUsako wrote: »
    Well crap, I never thought that far ahead and now I realize those kids probably really are stuck there forever... I can't recall, was it ever stated how old the camp is or who the camper that has lived there the longest is?

Legend says Proto Kid was the first sent to camp.
    http://campcomic.com/comic/the-legend-of-proto-kid

• Options
    Barnaby_vikingBarnaby_viking Registered User regular
    How has this not been turned into a tv show yet?

• Options
    Laika ClementineLaika Clementine Registered User regular
    If CW ever became animated, I headcanon Linus as being voiced by Haley Joel Osment. Now I can just hear Sora singing "Jessie's Girl" awkwardly. Actually here's what I headcanon who'd be voiced by who:
    Malachi-Pamela Adlon
    Seventeen-Tara Strong
    Brian-E.G. Daily
    Linus-Haley Joel Osment
    Steve-Keith Ferguson
    Steven-Sean Marquette
    Brayden-C.H. Greenblatt (I just hear Dade coming out of his mouth!)
    Kennedy-Grey DeLisle
    Marta-Jessica DiCicco
    Gwen and Liesel-Evanna Lynch
    Lewis-Billy West
    Lori-Catherine Taber
    Anne-Candi Milo
    Lucille-Olivia Olsen
    Purdy-Linda Cardellini
    Tanner- Noah Segan
    Fred-Andy Lawrence (or a sound alike)
    Olivia-Andrea Libman
    Dani-Jesse McCartney