As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Alien: Covenant] Colony ship + xenomorphs = what could go wrong?

Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svnAD0TApb8

Here are the "prequels" setting up the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkXgRlRao5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeMVrnYNwus

Meet the cast:

2071509606594307.png

Walter (Michael Fassbender)
A synthetic android created by the Weyland-Yutani corporation who assist the crew on board the Covenant.

FB-01693r.jpg?w=320&h=320&fit=thumb&f=center&q=85

Daniels "Danny" Branson (Katherine Waterston)
The crew's terraforming expert and wife of the captain, Jacob Branson.

WizardofOz27_zpsae80ca84.jpg

Jacob Branson (James Franco)
The Covenant's captain
unfortunately he dies early on forcing someone to pick up the slack. You had one job, Franco Jacob!

4543583-01+dr+manhattan.jpg

Christopher Oram (Billy Crudup)
The second in command
until he takes over as captain once Branson dies
, who is very religious and doesn't get along with the crew. Aside from his wife.

5b44458950c869726935cd6a4ee1c07f.jpg

Tennessee (Danny McBride)
The Covenant's pilot. May have been Kenny Powers in another life.

MV5BMjIzNDMwMzI3OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTk2NzMyMTE@._V1_UY317_CR13,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Sergeant Lope (Demián Bichir)
Hallett's husband. Head of security aboard the Covenant.

MV5BMjI4NzA5NzI0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTY3MDY0Ng@@._V1_UY317_CR12,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Karine Oram (Carmen Egjogo)
Christopher's sane wife. Biologist.

amy.jpg

Maggie Farris (Amy Seimetz)
Lander pilot, and medic. Tennessee's wife.

ricks_1.png

Ricks (Jussie Smollet)
Upworth's husband.

callie-hernandez.jpg

Upworth (Callie Hernandez)
Medic aboard the Covenant.

Spoiler character!

xalien-covenant-trailer-analysis-david-engineer-cloak-73.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3YIrcmtZQd.jpg

David! (Michael Fassbender)

What's that guy doing here?

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Is this an open spoiler thread?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    You forgot the best trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BirGJS23Nfo

• MarauderMarauder Registered User regular
    I mean, its an Alien movie so you expect gore, but.....2 medics? Its almost like the franchise fiction itself knows these meat bags are gonna die gruesome deaths.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Marauder wrote: »
    I mean, its an Alien movie so you expect gore, but.....2 medics? Its almost like the franchise fiction itself knows these meat bags are gonna die gruesome deaths.

If I'm even 1 lightyear from a hospital, I kind of want to know that my medic has a medic.

They should all be medics.

And electricians.

And good cooks!

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Xenomorph is a dumb word.

Oh brilliant
  • NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I really enjoyed it. I saw the ending coming though.

Someone spoil the plot for me, I probably won't get to see this for a while.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular

I kind of hate that it's become the official name for the monsters, because it depends on a misunderstanding of a line from Aliens. In context it's just a fancy word for "weird new alien lifeform," just like "bug hunt" is just lame sci-fi jargon for "goose chase".

It's a fine word for "unknown alien entity". But you'd think we'd get around to classifying these fuckers at some point.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

It's a fine word for "unknown alien entity". But you'd think we'd get around to classifying these fuckers at some point.

What's the survival rate for actually seeing one?

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453

Space Marines were doing ok until they ran into the withering hail of plot devices.

Fuck the reactor, I'm a space Marine. You get an autocannon round, and you get an autocannon round, Everything moving gets autocannon rounds.

edited May 2017
    You have to think that there's an official codename kicking around in a W-Y server somewhere. By the time Resurrection rolls around, corporations have been trying to harness the things for like 300 years.

BloodySloth on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Someone spoil the plot for me, I probably won't get to see this for a while.

This spoiler literally contains the plot to the movie:
    David breeds Xenomorphs out of proto-Xenomorphs (called Neomorphs in the credits?). Everybody else dies, as continuity demands.

Garthor on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Space Marines were doing ok until they ran into the withering hail of plot devices.

Fuck the reactor, I'm a space Marine. You get an autocannon round, and you get an autocannon round, Everything moving gets autocannon rounds.

They weren't doing ok? They hadn't fought shit, they ran into the hive and got murderated because they had no idea what they were facing. Which was the point, Ripley warned people and no one listened except for Burke who fucked shit up because GOD DAMN YOU BURKE!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Ah didn't consider Resurrection. I mostly assume that Alien and Aliens are the only two entries into the universe, and I guess Prometheus.

I'm excited for this movie, even though I expect it to be pretty by the numbers and never reaching the heights of Alien and Aliens.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I wanna see this. I think it'll be Saturday. I hope it's good.

But I'm also one of the only people I know who likes Prometheus, so I'm not too worried.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve

I guess if we go by movies, and ignore the existence of A4 and AVP, as one should, WY still actually has no idea of what these things are, they just want one.

There's a fair few survivors in comics though; no excuses there.

The past 20 years have been so unkind to the franchise that I ran out of enthusiasm, and now I'm not even sure if I'm going to see Covenant in theaters. That being said, Alien and Aliens are two of my favorite movies of all time, and nothing can change that.

Movie Bob highlights it, but like 8 films with only two being actually good and one sort of good in 3 should be like "ok lets, lets stop, this is not working."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Saw this last weekend.
    Basically every death in this movie could have been avoided had they just taken the most basic of precautions when stepping out of the lander onto the planet. They even use space-suits later on, (when flushing the Xeno out of the airlock) that all of them should have been wearing to begin with.
    Heck even some basic Bio-hazard/Hazmat suits like the ones in 'Arrival' would have saved them all from the spores.

Some nice action sequences, but the whole crew is scripted to be dumber than the one from Prometheus.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    That spoiler sets an awfully low bar.

I too love the first two movies, but everything since has generally fallen short in one fashion or another. I might watch it when it comes to a streaming service I subscribe to, but I doubt I'll pay to see it in theaters.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited May 2017
    Preacher wrote: »

They weren't doing ok? They hadn't fought shit, they ran into the hive and got murderated because they had no idea what they were facing. Which was the point, Ripley warned people and no one listened except for Burke who fucked shit up because GOD DAMN YOU BURKE!

They had to give up their guns and switch to flamers because of a plot device, err the expensive reactor and terraforming unit. The aliens jump them and a wayward flamer hitting the guy with all the ammo kills half the squad in one go.The two with autocannons kept ammo in reserve and were able to get the survivors back to the APC. Most of their deaths in the second encounter came down to "ran out of bullets".

But yeah, Burke was the one that made them switch to flamers, thus dooming all of them. Which was a plot device to allow the situation to go to shit.

Edit: To be clear, yeah they were still gonna get murderated because its Alien. But once they actually were able to shoot they took a shit ton of bugs with them.

Marauder on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    They had to give up their guns and switch to flamers because of a plot device, err the expensive reactor and terraforming unit. The aliens jump them and a wayward flamer hitting the guy with all the ammo kills half the squad in one go.The two with autocannons kept ammo in reserve and were able to get the survivors back to the APC. Most of their deaths in the second encounter came down to "ran out of bullets".

But yeah, Burke was the one that made them switch to flamers, thus dooming all of them. Which was a plot device to allow the situation to go to shit.

While it being a valuable piece of equipment probably wasn't far from his mind, the reason they switch to flamers was because of the risk of causing damage to the system that might result in it blowing up catastrophically.

Which, y'know, is what happens. "Cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska" and whatnot.

To be clear, Burke was a shithead, they weren't remotely prepared, things went sideways for a bunch of reasons. But Burke was right about that one point. Using explosive armor penetrating bullets inside the atmosphere processor was indeed a bad idea.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    Forar wrote: »

While it being a valuable piece of equipment probably wasn't far from his mind, the reason they switch to flamers was because of the risk of causing damage to the system that might result in it blowing up catastrophically.

Which, y'know, is what happens. "Cloud of vapor the size of Nebraska" and whatnot.

To be clear, Burke was a shithead, they weren't remotely prepared, things went sideways for a bunch of reasons. But Burke was right about that one point. Using explosive armor penetrating bullets inside the atmosphere processor was indeed a bad idea.

Semantics :)

Ill rewatch but I got the idea that it was more a monetary decision than a safety one. Fitting with Burke's corporate asshole scumbag persona, and that the Marines were less valuable than the terraformer, which he reminds Ripley they manufacture. Which seems like it could be a W-Y ad slogan.

The big fuckup was sending every marine in, essentially unarmed. They had plenty of alternative weapons on the drop ship.

Also maybe leave a guard or three with the goddamned drop ship. And yknow. Close the door.

Oh brilliant
    There were several failures really. They sent in the whole squad, they didn't scout before hand despite Ripley warning them of the danger of the creatures, and essentially they assumed she was lying because they figured the colonists were all just at the reactor for some reason?

Like yeah they didn't have their ammo, but that was because they fought in the reactor in the hive, instead of trying to figure what was going on in the reactor with scouting. Like maybe send in bishop since he's a synth and thus more expendable? Sorry Bishop...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I recall Cameron being upfront about Aliens being an allegory for the Vietnam War.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I miss the 1980's retro-future aesthetic of the Alien franchise.

I mean I know the more modern films try and simulate the 80's low-tech "hi-tech" look, but it just ain't the same.

Stuff like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ywWFvjE-yU

...with its clunky mechanical keyboards and green CRT monitors and whatnot.

Also Ripley.

Anyway, I doubt I'll see this new one in theaters. It's been hard to get excited about an Alien movie since Resurrection, but I respect the attempt to do something new with the franchise.

RT800 on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I thought it was either the APC or the dropship crashing through everything that caused it to blow up. They mention that "the crash did too much damage."

5gsowHm.png
    Well its not like they had time to accurately diagnose the real issue, but the marines shot underneath it, and the drop ship crashed near it. So two things screwed it up.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Syngyne wrote: »

I thought it was either the APC or the dropship crashing through everything that caused it to blow up. They mention that "the crash did too much damage."

It was Vasquez and Drake shooting their smart guns in the reactor that caused the impending nuke.

When they decide to call down the second drop ship to evacuate, they find they can't do it from their current location, because the crash has damaged the colony infrastructure, severing whatever data lines exist between them and the dish, so Bishop has to go over there to do it manually.

Oh brilliant
  • madparrotmadparrot Registered User regular
    Not quite. The destruction of colony infrastructure is why they can't shut down the reactor, and the reason they can't call down the dropship from their location is because the APC was destroyed in the crash:
    Ripley: Why can't we shut [the reactor] down from here?
    Bishop: I'm sorry, the crash caused too much damage. An overload is inevitable at this point.
    Private Hudson: Oh, man, and I was getting short. Four more weeks and out. Now I'm gonna buy it on this rock. It ain't half fair, man!
    Private Vasquez: Hudson, give us a break!
    Private Hudson: Four more weeks. Oh, man...
    Ripley: Well, we gotta get the other dropship from the Sulaco. I mean, there must be some way of bringing it down on remote.
    Private Hudson: How? The transmitter was on the APC. It's wasted.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    With Covenant, you could kind of split it into two - the bits that felt like Alien(s) and the bits that felt like Prometheus. I found the bits that were much more similar to Alien were well done; the end scenes, and imagining the experience was genuinely chilling.

Weak points of the film were definitely the Prometheus-esque parts. By this I mean the general mythology and characters being incredibly stupid for the sake of advancing the plot. I'm sure that writers can come up with a scenario in which people don't have to be mentally impaired and yet still get infected with virus/xenomorph. By introducing more and more of the mythology it reduces the scariness and dread surrounding the xenomorph

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Saw this last weekend.
    Basically every death in this movie could have been avoided had they just taken the most basic of precautions when stepping out of the lander onto the planet. They even use space-suits later on, (when flushing the Xeno out of the airlock) that all of them should have been wearing to begin with.
    Heck even some basic Bio-hazard/Hazmat suits like the ones in 'Arrival' would have saved them all from the spores.

Some nice action sequences, but the whole crew is scripted to be dumber than the one from Prometheus.
    Half the deaths in the movie could have been avoided with a good pair of boots or a floor that would supply some traction even when wet.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Alien worked because nobody was actually horror-movie stupid, they all did normal people stuff in the face of unknown horror. In fact, they did pretty damned well for being a crew of average folks; they came up with some pretty good ideas to fight back, but just didn't realize what they were up against.

Aliens works because everybody involved is well-trained and/or smart, except for the two fuckups in charge who, through withholding information and being a shitty officer, allow for a huge catastrophe to happen. But even the fuckups are believably human. Everything after that screwup (sending the Marines in effectively unarmed instead of pulling back to re-equip and recon) is what makes the whole rest of the movie happen, instead of being a series of horrible decisions. And when the non-fuckups take charge, they do pretty well and keep adapting.

Where literally every other Alien movie falls short is that they end up populated with some of the most stunningly moronic individuals possible, nobody ever learns, and every fuckup comes from some really stupid decisions that no actual person would make. And nobody ever learns from these mistakes and instead continue to make awful decisions, so the movie is just a series of dumb decisions from dumb non-people.

This results in movies where the existence of the xenomorphs is actually less unreal than the behavior of the people getting killed by the xenomorphs, which isn't scary, exciting, or interesting. And it looks like Covenant is sticking to that formula of dumbasses dying for dumbass choices, so... ugh. Another waste of a movie.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Yeah alien and aliens had actual reasoning behind the shitty decisions, later films take a horror movie approach of "Well this gets this character egged/murderated"

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Are we at open spoilers?
    Don't read unless you don't care about seeing the film
    There are three specific instances in which crew members take actions in violation of their primary mission; protecting the colonists to start the colony.

The first is the decision to divert the ship from their original course (to a planet 7 years away, with 3 more jumps to make. The ship needs to stop and recharge using a nifty solar panel sail. Tennessee is outside the ship fixing the array when his helmet picks up a transmission from the Prometheus Ship. They trace the signal to the Engineer Homeworld, which has something like 90% habitibility (Stellaris fan here). The original chartered planet has something along the lines of 60-70% habitability. Everyone is unnerved by the death of the Captain, and no one wants to go back to sleep in the tubes (Captain literally burnt to death inside his chamber as they tried to break him out). Considering no one respects the new captain, he makes the decision to go to the Engineer Homeworld. He offers three reasons; investigate the source of the human voice signal, determine if the planet is a better choice for the colony, protect the crew from having to go back into hypersleep. The movie doesn't really spell out which of these reasons is the captain's primary motivation, but in my opinion it's number three. He's ultimately a coward at this point, and any decision to please the crew and keep moral up is the one he's going to make in order to protect his position. This is risk number 1; the unknown world is unknown; all the preparation the mission has done is for the other planet. The message was not a distress signal, and the stop is an unnecessary risk to both the crew and the overall mission. Danny has a confrontation with the captain and files a formal complaint (for all the good that does).

Second: The Covenant is in orbit while the majority of the crew went to the planet on a lander (there is apparently only 1 lander) The planet apparently has hurricane planet wide storms for months at a time. Everything is FUBAR, and the crew is trying to get rescued off the planet. Danny should have said fuck that, what the hell is happening. The storm could also do irreparable harm to the Covenant. He makes the decision to fly a construction vehicle down to the planet to rescue who's left alive. Again, a crew member makes a decision out of compassion for the others and ignores the primary object. Get the Convenant to the other planet, protect the colonists.

There's a third one, but it's really at the point of the film that leads down the rabbit hole to the ending. My point being that it seems that Ridley is criticizing human compassion here; any one of these instances the crew member could have taken the cold-hearted robotic choice to abandon the others and continue on. Their attempts to save each other ultimately lead to their doom.

Kruite on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    Are we at open spoilers?
    Don't read unless you don't care about seeing the film
    There are three specific instances in which crew members take actions in violation of their primary mission; protecting the colonists to start the colony.

The first is the decision to divert the ship from their original course (to a planet 7 years away, with 3 more jumps to make. The ship needs to stop and recharge using a nifty solar panel sail. Tennessee is outside the ship fixing the array when his helmet picks up a transmission from the Prometheus Ship. They trace the signal to the Engineer Homeworld, which has something like 90% habitibility (Stellaris fan here). The original chartered planet has something along the lines of 60-70% habitability. Everyone is unnerved by the death of the Captain, and no one wants to go back to sleep in the tubes (Captain literally burnt to death inside his chamber as they tried to break him out). Considering no one respects the new captain, he makes the decision to go to the Engineer Homeworld. He offers three reasons; investigate the source of the human voice signal, determine if the planet is a better choice for the colony, protect the crew from having to go back into hypersleep. The movie doesn't really spell out which of these reasons is the captain's primary motivation, but in my opinion it's number three. He's ultimately a coward at this point, and any decision to please the crew and keep moral up is the one he's going to make in order to protect his position. This is risk number 1; the unknown world is unknown; all the preparation the mission has done is for the other planet. The message was not a distress signal, and the stop is an unnecessary risk to both the crew and the overall mission. Danny has a confrontation with the captain and files a formal complaint (for all the good that does).

Second: The Covenant is in orbit while the majority of the crew went to the planet on a lander (there is apparently only 1 lander) The planet apparently has hurricane planet wide storms for months at a time. Everything is FUBAR, and the crew is trying to get rescued off the planet. Danny should have said fuck that, what the hell is happening. The storm could also do irreparable harm to the Covenant. He makes the decision to fly a construction vehicle down to the planet to rescue who's left alive. Again, a crew member makes a decision out of compassion for the others and ignores the primary object. Get the Convenant to the other planet, protect the colonists.

There's a third one, but it's really at the point of the film that leads down the rabbit hole to the ending. My point being that it seems that Ridley is criticizing human compassion here; any one of these instances the crew member could have taken the cold-hearted robotic choice to abandon the others and continue on. Their attempts to save each other ultimately lead to their doom.
    I'd say sending the lander down so quickly was another error. If you've cut 7 years off your travel time by finding a miracle planet, maybe you can spare a week in orbit to do some research on the planet.
    Maybe determine if it has things like month long hurricanes, or plasma storms that will fuck your communication systems up.
    Or, at the very least, wait till the storms clear up a bit before sending the lander down through in the middle of them.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular

You have to think that there's an official codename kicking around in a W-Y server somewhere. By the time Resurrection rolls around, corporations have been trying to harness the things for like 300 years.

Late, but there's apparently two scientific names that are floating around from various bits and pieces of the franchise, though not sure if either are any official terminology: Internecivus raptus and Linguafoeda acheronsis

waNkm4k.jpg?1