As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WARMACHINE & HORDES] 1+1=Cyriss is calculating... calculating... seven! And you're dead.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Bane models/theme CID is tomorrow as well! We could definitely see a scary Bane-Wraith Engine brick hitting the table a lot in the next couple of weeks. That's probably going to please a lot of Cryx players who haven't use their Bane models in months and months.

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    Eh, the aesthetic seems like a miss to me. They're supposed to be horrors from Khador myth? But they just seem like generic monsters really. They could have really dug into some Russian myth for their inspiration.

Like, you've got options like Koschei the Deathless, Baba Yaga, Dukljan, Chernobog, and Kikimora.

I mean, Old Witch is basically Baba Yaga. Though she's upgraded from a mere chicken-hut jack to a chicken-legged battle engine now.

And the Grymkin aren't specifically from Khador, just general "horrors from before civilization what lurk in the dark." Old Witch just happens to be one of those horrors and has a connection to them.

Banes & bane theme CID is up.

It includes unexpected but welcome changes to mechanithralls--raising their DEF to 12 (along with Brutes), and dropping them to a remarkably cheap 5/8 points.

Bane Riders getting Vengeance, losing Curse, and gaining MAT 7 is also pretty big.

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Very nice changes for Cryx overall. I am excited to try them out this weekend.

edited April 2017
    I tried out a list with the CID changes tonight, and I tabled my buddy. I felt kinda bad because I ran Deneghra 1 and she is just monstrous and oppressive, and he's not gotten as much chance to play as the rest of us because of his new kid, but the list with the new changes was very strong.

Infernal Machines theme
    Deneghra1
    -Deathripper
    -Deathripper
    -Leviathan
    -Seether

Aiakos1
    -Leviathan

10 Mechanithralls + 3 Brutes (ambushing)
    10 Mechanithralls + 3 Brutes
    10 Mechanithralls + 3 Brutes
    Necrosurgeon
    Necrosurgeon

It's a little tricky not having a warwitch or a skarlock in there, but having Aiakos to fully load a Leviathan gives Deneghra a lot of breathing room. I've always found Necrosurgeons overpriced, bit tonight they brought back a dozen models over the course of the fight, and would have done more.

The ambushing mcthralls on feat turn is horrifying. They wiped out most of a manowar unit and a kovnik. Oof.

A Lylyth 2 ravagore list or a Cygnar electroleap list would annihilate it, probably, but still.

Evil Multifarious on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm really excited mechanithralls are good again, they are my favorite unit in cryx

edited May 2017
    Well, they're good with Deneghra. Not many good casters have a MAT fixer, especially not one that's worth using to support mechanithralls.

Without help, they aren't great against infantry and even DEF 12 jacks are going to dodge a lot of combo strikes.

Actually I was thinking Scaverous might be a good pick, since he can help them hit with Icy Grip or TK (against heavies), and if there's a really important target he can drop his expensive armour debuff on it.

Evil Multifarious on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, I totally missed that the Siege Crawler in CID now has Reinforcements [Rhulic], where it'll spit out d3 Rhulic grunts to reinforce a unit in it's command range every turn.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    The siege crawler in general, the new CID changes and the changes to durgen and rhul overall have made me really regret giving up my dwarves army....

So a Cryx player won the South Ontario Open with a Deneghra ghost fleet, a Terminus ghost fleet, and a Coven list.

I'm a little surprised by Terminus being there, but regenerating pirates who also have tough would probably be incredibly annoying. And might clog the board enough for Terminus to either position for assassination or use the threat of it to dominate the board.

Ghost Fleet is very strong, and will only get stronger with the release of the Hellslinger Phantom. I know he dodged any Cygnar matchups, though, so he was quite lucky, and I imagine people aren't building lists with a ton of infantry removal right now.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Did Caine die in the new edition?

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Nope he just went Mercenary.

I think a portion of his soul was shaved off and that's the new pistol wraith.

So a Cryx player won the South Ontario Open with a Deneghra ghost fleet, a Terminus ghost fleet, and a Coven list.

I'm a little surprised by Terminus being there, but regenerating pirates who also have tough would probably be incredibly annoying. And might clog the board enough for Terminus to either position for assassination or use the threat of it to dominate the board.

Ghost Fleet is very strong, and will only get stronger with the release of the Hellslinger Phantom. I know he dodged any Cygnar matchups, though, so he was quite lucky, and I imagine people aren't building lists with a ton of infantry removal right now.

*quietly slips scythean and more dudes with sprays into his list*

Hey, can someone with access to the CID forums fill me in on what the new changes to steamroller objectives are?

Arch wrote: »

*quietly slips scythean and more dudes with sprays into his list*

A couple of Ravagores, especially with Lylyth2, make a hellish matchup for the pirates.

Do you need just the most recent changes or the full packet?

Whatever's most current on the objectives, like Arcane Wonder etc

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    From the week 3 change log:
    Objectives are now chosen after list selection during a game, a player can change their objective each round.
    The Fuel Cache objective has been updated to provide Pathfinder to a single model for a round.
    The Stockpile objective has been updated to heal a single model, but in a larger range. Additionally it now heals any model, not just warjacks or warbeasts.

The only other objective is Armory - it still provides Magical weapons to 1 model in 4'' I believe. The other 3 (Arcane Wonder, Bunker, Effigy of Valor) have been removed for now. CID on SR 2017 ended today - they will further test the stuff internally and release it at Lock & Load. The rules won't stay like they are now, but we will only get the finalized rules at L&L.

Hmmmm I'm really liking the change to Stockpile

persona4celestia.jpg
    Annnnnd unless I'm missing something, Legion isn't up there.

Anyway, I went a bit overboard at the games store today and walked out with the models for this 50pt Kryssa list
    War Room Army

Legion of Everblight - Kryssa 50

Theme: Oracles of Annihilation
    2 / 2 Free Cards 50 / 50 Army

Kryssa, Conviction of Everblight - WB: +31
    - Succubus - PC: 0
    - Azrael - PC: 21 (Battlegroup Points Used: 21)
    - Naga Nightlurker - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
    - Neraph - PC: 12 (Battlegroup Points Used: 2)
    - Seraph - PC: 14
    - Neraph - PC: 12

Blighted Nyss Sorceress & Hellion - PC: 0
    The Forsaken - PC: 4
    Blighted Nyss Shepherd - PC: 1

Blackfrost Shard - Sevryn, Rhylyss & Vysarr: 9

THEME: Oracles of Annihilation
    ---

GENERATED : 05/10/2017 19:55:32
    BUILD ID : 2039.17-03-16

Thoughts, @Evil Multifarious

•To ease the community into this new system, we’re populating the card database with just the new cards from April and May (which means not every Faction has representation yet), but you can look forward to seeing the entire library of Privateer Press cards available on the database in the near future.

persona4celestia.jpg
    i dig it. the game will revolve around your explosive feat turn where you eliminate their heavy threats or go for assassination, i think. might be tricky to deal with infantry with that list, like you mentioned, with only one Forsaken.

i dig it. the game will revolve around your explosive feat turn where you eliminate their heavy threats or go for assassination, i think. might be tricky to deal with infantry with that list, like you mentioned, with only one Forsaken.

Yeah, I think the Forsaken, Kryssa's spray, and the Sorceress' spray are the only REAL ways I have of mulching infantry, and none of those are really that great. I can, in a pinch, fly a neraph in, kill a few dudes, and sprint out, and with two neraphs that might do the job, but it won't be ideal.

edited May 2017
    So I got two games in with my 50 point Kryssa list, posted above. First game was against Caine3, with a squire and a huge gunline. I....lost that in turn two.

I ran everything up, parked kryssa behind a forest and in a cloud and with LOSS blocked to her by one of my models.

Caine3 activated, used his character jack to shadowflare my model, making it so everyone ignored LOS to it then he dropped his AOE on my head that basically means everyone else can ignore concealment or whatever and I just got shot off the table. Was kind of disappointing, and in retrospect I should have just charged up faster and gotten in his face in turn two instead of playing a bit safer. Live and learn.

Second game was against a 50pt Ossrum Hammerstrike army with six bunnies, two drillers, hammerbros, mortar, herne and jonne, and Thor.

I won this game in round 4 and it was a slugfest.

I made some dumb errors (you pay for upkeeps after leeching fury, which made my seraph frenzy and charge someone wayyy out of position and die to hammers) but without the ability to ignore smoke clouds and cloak of ash, even the boosted Gunner shots had a hard time taking down my models. I lost a neraph and a seraph kind of needlessly, but got myself in a good position to assassinate Ossrum even under feat (Blackfrost shard and kryssa feat basically negated his entire thing), but left him with 5 boxes.

He counter punched but I had broken enough of his line that his gunners couldn't take out kryssa, leaving her on three boxes (eek!)

But then Blackfrost shard landing double ice cages (-4 defence) and kiss of lyliss (+2 damage on all attacks), kryssa hitting Ossrum with a flamethrower and a neraph charging in for free broke through all his camped focus and took him out.

Only got pictures of the first game.

Turn one deployment

bJwCPA0l.jpg

Turn two, my defenses set up right before kryssa got shot up

zXNRbWsl.jpg

@Evil Multifarious

Arch on
    That first game is just not knowing what other models do. That's how this game works, since it's so matchup-dependent. In a casual game I think it's kind of shitty not to tell your opponent "hey i have a way to ignore LOS btw" though

That first game is just not knowing what other models do. That's how this game works, since it's so matchup-dependent. In a casual game I think it's kind of shitty not to tell your opponent "hey i have a way to ignore LOS btw" though

No he said it, and I asked, but I didn't play around it enough.

I don't know what the play would have been, but I didt really understand just how bad it was going to go for me

Still, its a casual game - that point is when my mates and I usually just roll the dice to see if the assassination works, but then just keep playing as if that assassination wasn't on the table. Just to see how the game would have played out if you hadn't given the opportunity to kill your caster.

In a tournament game though you are toast :D. I have killed people in turn 1 in tournament games if they give me a reasonably good opportunity.

• 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    That's the hard part to Warmachine. Every single model has unique rules, and it can be a seriously difficult thing to remember what every single model does. On top of that, there's a synergy usually with the models, that presents a new element you have to take into account as you play your game. At a certain point, it's just a mental overload, because even though you know a Caster or a Beast has a certain special rule, your brain only has so much room to process this shit.

The only effective thing to do is just play the game against as many lists as you can, and get your teeth kicked in so much that you remember "Oh yeah, that model does something, and I should watch out for that." The issue with that is there are so so many variations and models in each army, that changing even one thing makes it difficult to re-calibrate to the new models.

I also load my opponents warcaster into War Room so I can at least be aware of his feat and spells. I never want to find myself in the position of asking "Ok, what does his/her feat do again?" It helps a little.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I've managed to get this game doing pretty well so far, with a lot of excitement about model mans and assembling them. I'm going to start a Journeyman League soon and I'm looking forward to finally being able to play this game, after 10 years (or however long it's been) ago when I got a Skorne army then never managed to actually use it even once.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    So, we're noticing a bit of an issue with Warmachine/Hordes. They seem to have updated the rules, without catching up the various starter boxes to the new rules. Is there an easy way for people to learn what their units do or get newer cards? I know I can get the Mark III cards etc, but do they have new cards up for free anywhere ala Age of Sigmar? We have around 6 new players to the game already, so I can see this easily being confusing or frustrating early on if I don't help with it now.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So, we're noticing a bit of an issue with Warmachine/Hordes. They seem to have updated the rules, without catching up the various starter boxes to the new rules. Is there an easy way for people to learn what their units do or get newer cards? I know I can get the Mark III cards etc, but do they have new cards up for free anywhere ala Age of Sigmar? We have around 6 new players to the game already, so I can see this easily being confusing or frustrating early on if I don't help with it now.

http://cards.privateerpress.com/

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Although they just launched that and it doesn't have everything yet

Maybe http://privateerpress.com/support/customers/downloads ?

I shall have a look and make sure people know about it before the learn to play event we're running this Sunday.

If memory serves, all the starter box stuff should be free in War Room as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Yeah, all cards in the starters are in WarRoom for free.

http://privateerpress.com/organized-play/game-rules-errata

There you can find the core rules for download - plus a bunch of errata.

edited May 2017
    Oh nice, apparently the next wave of CID is going to be Trenchers?

EDIT: New theme force. Trencher Long Gunners? Trencher Mechanics? Patrol Doggos attachments for trenchers? ok ok ok ok ok

...and apparently the Theme Force benefit right now involves Rise?

New model type! Huge-based Structure called The Blockhouse. Special bunker that has guns strapped to it and recurs Trenchers. Basically "think of it like buying a special piece of terrain that has stats and activates and can be destroyed."

SIEGE2! And apparently he's channeling his inner Roland and will be summoning a rocket pod buddy to shoot things for him?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    The game seems mostly plagued by intrafaction balance issues (some units amazing, some useless by comparison, overlapping roles) so I was hoping they'd do more role or category specific CIDs rather than per faction

Now that Skorne are hugely buffed and major Cryx buffs are in the pipe, that's what concerns me

Another game, another Merc dead.

Fought my dragons against 50pts of MCBAINNNN. His list was all solos, and three nomads (I think? Sword and shield guys).

Got a picture of the end of my first turn, after I decided to go crazy and just charge up the field.

iqVq5aXl.jpg

I traded much more intelligently this game, and only made one major mistake, which was walking Kryssa away from a Neraph engaging two jacks.... after I popped feat. I couldn't force and he couldn't crack arm without the feat. Whoooops.

Anyway McBain ended up that tench on the top left camping two focus, and I got to do basically everything in a legion player's dream- Forsaken got to roll four dice on a blight bomb on McBain, Kryssa charged and got a critical hit with her spear, activating sustained attack, and my Nightlurker rolled triple boxcars to land the killing blow, which McBain didn't tough.

Still trying to decide what to add to this army, whether I'm gonna double down on two more Neraphs and a forsaken, or add hex hunters and a forsaken.