As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Guardians, Report in for Pax Arcadia Legacy Run (p. 73)! Sequel revealed!

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what if they kept the shooting mechanics of D1 but in D2 you're a rapping dog trying to win the heart of a flower girl?

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    No cross-save service, whilst maybe understandable from a commercial perspective, is hella anti-consumer.

Which is weird, because I expect a nontrivial number of people would purchase the game multiple times if progress translated between (say) console and PC, over and above those who are going to do so anyway even without cross-saving.

As it is, players will be forced to pick a team so as not to have to start over on a new platform and Actiblizz pick up a lost sale. Without parity in release date, this is going to have a major impact on PC takeup, though they may be banking on Battlenet diehards who don't have a console.

Bungie, pls: cross-saves. IDC if I have to pay you for the service, just let me migrate platforms at will.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No one really does cross saves. Like Diablo 3 didn't have it, and a lot of F2P games that made the jump to consoles never let you carry things over.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Oh, I know. It's still ludicrous, and tbh I place the blame on the platform owners rather than the publisher.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    having no idea how anything works, it would seem to me allowing cross-platform saving would only result in higher unit sales, so i can only imagine it's a system limitation more than it's a "well we just don't want to allow you to do it" thing

Chanus on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    With all the changes made in the Taken King, I've always considered that Destiny 1.5.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    having no idea how anything works, it would seem to me allowing cross-platform saving would only result in higher unit sales, so i can only imagine it's a system limitation more than it's a "well we just don't want to allow you to do it" thing

I dunno really. I mean destiny let you keep saves between like 360 and one for a while didn't they? I wonder how many sales were on both?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno really. I mean destiny let you keep saves between like 360 and one for a while didn't they? I wonder how many sales were on both?

well, yeah, but that's not really the same as cross-platform i wouldn't think

but also i have no idea

• Options
    jefe414 wrote: »
    With all the changes made in the Taken King, I've always considered that Destiny 1.5.

wasn't it basically billed as such (because of the price tag)?

• Options

but also i have no idea

Yeah I don't either. But based on how literally no one does it, I imagine the hassle of doing it must outweigh whatever possible sales they lose out on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Why do people want new classes? That would require burning all the existing lore and canon to the ground.

We're getting new subclasses and big changes to the existing ones plus new abilities. I get that people want moar subclasses but Bungie has A Thing for doing Arc/Void/Solar as the subclasses, so we're unlikely to ever have more than 3 per class.

I also think that's fine? Destiny has always been a shooter with RPG undertones and it's getting more RPG-y in D2, I dunno why anyone expected it to suddenly go full RPG out of nowhere.

• Options
    edited May 2017

but also i have no idea

Yeah I don't either. But based on how literally no one does it, I imagine the hassle of doing it must outweigh whatever possible sales they lose out on.

I'd like to think so, but I rather suspect licensing terms from Sony and Microsoft for use of PSN/XBL plays a factor. Given how base architecture is pretty standard across PS/XB/PC this generation, I'd be surprised if that's the major limiting factor.

Huggles on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    jefe414 wrote: »

wasn't it basically billed as such (because of the price tag)?

The Taken King was only $20 right? I mean, compared to Rise of Iron, The Dark Below, and House of Wolves, it was quite a steal.

EDIT: whoops looks like it was $40.

Still worth it.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    O
    3clipse wrote: »
    Why do people want new classes? That would require burning all the existing lore and canon to the ground.

We're getting new subclasses and big changes to the existing ones plus new abilities. I get that people want moar subclasses but Bungie has A Thing for doing Arc/Void/Solar as the subclasses, so we're unlikely to ever have more than 3 per class.

I also think that's fine? Destiny has always been a shooter with RPG undertones and it's getting more RPG-y in D2, I dunno why anyone expected it to suddenly go full RPG out of nowhere.

Because I'm not sure I won't get bored of using the same skills as I did for 2+ years to fight the same enemies I did get 2+ years pretty quick.

Destiny 2 is a new launching point for the next 3 years of destiny. Not just a content update to give me something to do for 2 months.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ElementWrathElementWrath Perplexingly Soft MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Disrupter wrote: »
    O

Because I'm not sure I won't get bored of using the same skills as I did for 2+ years to fight the same enemies I did get 2+ years pretty quick.

Destiny 2 is a new launching point for the next 3 years of destiny. Not just a content update to give me something to do for 2 months.

But the skills are different and you've only seen 3 of the 9 subclasses (in action, since only Gunslinger, Dawnblade, and Striker were in the reveal), and for each of those you've only seen 1/2 of the skill trees, maybe less as they could change more up to release. In addition to that, the guns you can carry are totally different from before, and each class has its own ability (Hunter Dodge, Titan Wall, Warlock Buff Field). In addition to that there are AT LEAST 4 new enemy types of Cabal alone (flamethrower, big energy shields, sword wielders, dog things).
    O

But the skills are different and you've only seen 3 of the 9 subclasses (in action, since only Gunslinger, Dawnblade, and Striker were in the reveal), and for each of those you've only seen 1/2 of the skill trees, maybe less as they could change more up to release. In addition to that, the guns you can carry are totally different from before, and each class has its own ability (Hunter Dodge, Titan Wall, Warlock Buff Field). In addition to that there are AT LEAST 4 new enemy types of Cabal alone (flamethrower, but shields, sword wielders, dog things).
    Seems to me like a lot of people who saw the reveal are reacting to it as if what we saw was all of Destiny 2, fullstop. But I somehow doubt that's the case. I think there is a lot under the surface that we're not getting to see. People keep expecting the sequel to be something it isn't, a lot has changed just from this reveal, that doesn't mean everything else is the same.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it seems to me like Bungie is trying to fix a lot of the issues with Destiny based heavily on broad community feedback. The flood of negativity stated with such finality "this isn't a sequel, it's an expansion, Destiny 1.5" "no dedicated servers, literally unplayable" "Battlenet sux, Bungee how could you" strikes me as incredibly premature. I may just be a filthy casual but 30 vs 60 fps means practically nothing to me. I want my games to be fun. There are a lot of conclusions being drawn on very little information, and that's just bad practice. You want to kill your own excitement, go ahead, but it's not as much a disaster as it is being made out to be, I think.

There's s big gap between saying this doesn't feel any bigger than the taken King and saying its a disaster.

And if there's more to the game than we know then the comparisons are faulty.

Again I can't stress enough that I'm going to love destiny 2. I'm going to take like a week off work and send my kids to daycare as my own vacation for it.

But I do agree with the destiny 1.5 criticism
    Okay so I have to ask, if this isn't Destiny 2, what would qualify it as Destiny 2?

It's a hard question to answer. But overall it would end up feeling "new" it would give me that same feeling of unknown and wonder that day one destiny had.

New classes and full set of new subclasses would help.

New game modes like a big pvpve faction war or something would help. (Just an example, but a new spoke in the crucible->strike->raid wheel they have in some way)

Changing the pve structure from missions and strikes to something new would help. (They may have done this with updated patrols we will see)

Feeling the core was updated not just that content was added. 60fps and dedicated servers would help.

A massive new gameplay mechanic equal to halo 2 dual welding (in destiny case I was thinking they could use elements similar to horizon with not just extra shield damage but status effects or something to make the game play feel fresh. I mean fight an enemy in horizon vs the spider tank in Destiny. Similar ideas but horizon isn't a bullet sponge if you take them out right. Destiny could improve its fights to reduce billet sponges in a creative way) would help

None of these things by themselves are most haves or single handedly push it over.

But just more destiny doesn't feel like destiny 2. I think for folks who still play destiny every day it's probably enough. But for those of us who quit a while ago? If I wanted more destiny I could play destiny right now. I was hoping they could excite me the same way destiny 1 did.
    Getting the same feel of wonder for a first play of an original IP from a sequel to it seems like an oxymoron to me. You can never get that same feeling of waking up beneath the shadow of the wall because you've already been there. I expect that this time, I'll be able to actually care about the story though. I may not feel as much wonder, but I'll be more engaged.

There are new subclasses, but I think new classes would completely violate the lore, and the classes they have now are good.

As for the new gameplay mechanics, the new class passive abilities I think would qualify, as well as the new system of Primary/Elemental/Heavy. That's totally different and I like the idea.

I can't really comment much on new modes since we've only seen one new mode and weren't told about the rest.

Also I don't know who said it, but that strike we saw looked way better than any strike currently in Destiny. It was roughly 2x the length, and had plenty of interesting mechanics, encounters, and especially play spaces. Much more open than D1 strikes.

ElementWrath on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    So... they say you lost all your stuff but is there appearance migration for Destiny 2 characters?

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    So... they say you lost all your stuff but is there appearance migration for Destiny 2 characters?

There is supposed to be. Although that isn't something I had very little attachment too. All of the options were so bad I just wore my helmet all the time to cover it up.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

yes, your class and appearance will transfer over. i think the requirement is that you hit level 20 and have finished Vanillas story, but i might be mis-remembering on that note.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    @GMaster7 Alert

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    I'm glad my awesome mohawk will carry on. But ultimately appearance means so little in an FPS where you often have a helmet on.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I'm glad my awesome mohawk will carry on. But ultimately appearance means so little in an FPS where you often have a helmet on.

my interest in a lot of the cosmetics of this game are lost due to the lack of third person, but at the same time they pushed "you've lost your stuff..." to the point of it being meta-marketing material in Cayde's speech. So... if you were rerolling new characters it'd just be dumb (imo). Even though you effectively are.

They will address some of your character's legacy in the sequel right? I dunno.

edit: I mean, you can't even name your guardians, so the linkage is pretty weak. But still.. idk

tastydonuts on
  • Options

my interest in a lot of the cosmetics of this game are lost due to the lack of third person, but at the same time they pushed "you've lost your stuff..." to the point of it being meta-marketing material in Cayde's speech. So... if you were rerolling new characters it'd just be dumb (imo). Even though you effectively are.

edit: I mean, you can't even name your guardians, so the linkage is pretty weak. But still.. idk

I mean I remember what she looks like, and I do want to keep that especially if in theory with actual cut scenes I'll be seeing my face more often (or god forbid your guardian speak, though for some people I know that will ruin things). But the appearance options are so very minimal.

Personally I'd much rather keep my emotes, at least the thriller dance.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    they did say that Destiny 2 has the most cinematics in a Destiny game, so you probably will see your face more? IDK.

some of the emotes are too try-hard hip nerdy, wouldn't mind not having them. I'm sure you will be able to buy them again in Destiny 2, and they may even be newly captured emotes. :P

• Options

it's almost like they just wanted to justify doing a hard reset :P

• Options
    I would like the option of adding something though, like a scar or something especially if you're dying again.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    I would like the option of adding something though, like a scar or something especially if you're dying again.

I've died 20576 times. If Ghost resurrection wasn't perfect, I'd be nothing but a scar at this point. :rotate:

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Erevar wrote: »

I've died 20576 times. If Ghost resurrection wasn't perfect, I'd be nothing but a scar at this point. :rotate:

Maybe that's the secret to Guardian durability, we're composed entirely of scar tissue and stem cells.

• Options

But this time we're dying without a ghost Erev! We have to earn it back somehow.

Also death by falling wouldn't probably leave a scar.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

Maybe that's the secret to Guardian durability, we're composed entirely of scar tissue and stem cells.

speak for yourself, i'm a space robot.

• Options

But this time we're dying without a ghost Erev! We have to earn it back somehow.

Also death by falling wouldn't probably leave a scar.

i just had an amazing idea

you bring your character over to D2

but until you find your ghost it's permadeath

oh the screams

• Options
    edited May 2017

*wonders what your fable character looked like*

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I'm going to remake all my dudes/dudettes because why not.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options

Spoken like someone who HASN'T SIGNED UP FOR OBI'S LEGACY RUN.

As soon as you give your characters names, you won't want them to die.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options

My upstream bandwidth is too low to stream :(

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod

You won't have to stream. When you join a group, one of the others in your fireteam can do it. :)

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options

You don't need to be able to stream to participate. I'm not signed up as a Historian.

KkrouBB.png
    Bogaerts wrote:
  • Options
    I need to do a couple legacy runs. Like I was on almost the last step of the can't explain rifle that just needed an atheon run.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Brogey wrote: »

You won't have to stream. When you join a group, one of the others in your fireteam can do it. :)

I signed up my Hunter!

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    The thing that makes me the most sad about Destiny 2 is that it's still 109 days away from release.

My first thought was, "That's barely enough time to get all the Age of Triumph loot I want!"

I'm still having enough fun with Destiny to be distracted from the Destiny 2 hype. I've got shaders, sparrows and shells to collect. And 5 more grimoire score to obtain.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    What 5 grimoire points could you be lacking? 10.000 kills with sidearms or something maybe?

I'm 5th in Grimoire score on my list, even @Vagabond is far ahead...

Sirialis on
This discussion has been closed.