As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CF Master Phalla Thread

• SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    I think folks should just consider trying something different.

For example, how about a game that lasts 7-9 days but win conditions do not include killing everyone else? It could be a different type of game where the win conditions involve you finding certain other players or items or some such so you don't have to worry about the issue of people dying.

Take Saburbia's haunted house idea. Create several teams who don't necessarily know who's on their team and they get clues where certain items are in the house and the first team to gather their respective items will win. It doesn't have to be (your team in the majority) victory all the time.

Robothero and I were talking about a "Where in phalla is carmen sandiego" game where the the detectives simply have X days to find out who all the criminals are and it doesn't involve killing them necessarily. They might lose their ability to vote by getting thrown in jail and they could do the same to players. The players would still be allowed to participate, but mabye their votes don't count. However, with clues and advice being given each night in narrations or by any clever detectives, they can still work together to help find the criminals.

Things like that. We don't necessarily need to follow any particular trend or tradition.

I was going to have a seriously injured/crippled state in my game where the player could still talk with the living but would no longer count for win conditions. It seems like games could use that sort of a mechanic to not completely eliminate people but still move the game along. Of course there needs to be a counterbalance like affording similar opportunities to badguys so the fully living can't have everything handed to them in terms of deduction.

Savant on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think it would be interesting to have death threads that have something more to them than just helping out the village or something. I'm thinking about making it a game of who gets revived or that there is a separate evil faction in the afterlife that the other dead guys have to root out.

A phalla in a phalla, so to say.

Aldo on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wish to sign up to run a full Phalla, but it looks like it might be a while before it would be played. D: How long do you guys figure it'll be until we get to the games at the bottom of the list? I also wouldn't mind having a co-GM. PM me if you're interested and wish to learn more.

Valkun on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    I wish to sign up to run a full Phalla, but it looks like it might be a while before it would be played. D: How long do you guys figure it'll be until we get to the games at the bottom of the list? I also wouldn't mind having a co-GM. PM me if you're interested and wish to learn more.

7-10 days per Megaphalla is about a good estimate, and there's usually a negligible amount of days where they're not running. So, unfortunately, the list is approximately a year or so long :(

[edit] Little bit less than a year

Rend on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valkun wrote: »

On average, full games last roughly 10 days max and you can start sign ups for the next game with permission from the current game's moderator. I'd say we run 3-4 games a month on average and probably 10% of the people signed up will have to drop back spots or lose interest/time to run a game.

Ardor on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2007
    How many people are still interested in running minis? I find that I enjoy running them more than the big games (Although I don't mind co-hosting). I want to know if I should start finalizing ideas to run more of them or if I have time.

Unknown User on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    How many people are still interested in running minis? I find that I enjoy running them more than the big games (Although I don't mind co-hosting). I want to know if I should start finalizing ideas to run more of them or if I have time.

I am definitely, I loved running ST:V and I already have another one almost completely written up and ready to go, I just haven't since I know other people also want to do these sorts of things.

So, in essence, *raises hand*

Rend on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have one in mind, but I won't be utilizing it for a long time. So yeah, they're fun, but I enjoy the chaos of the huge ones more.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Definitely interested in a mini.

Hylianbunny on
  • PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I am still trying to run my mini.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm pretty sure the next opportunity is all yours.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2007
    I think you can actually start right now Larry, since Drez is not restarting.

Unknown User on
    edited November 2007
    Hmmmm, let's see what the powers that be say.

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited November 2007
    Well, for what it's worth, I'll likely be starting my signups within a day or so... and they'll probably run over the weekend, so if you want to get yours underway during say, mid-week, that's cool by me.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm working on re-tooling my game to work as a mini, but it probably won't be ready until a little after the new year because I'm swamped with stuff to do until then.

Last Son on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Whoops, just realized my last statement was a bit ambiguous.

I wish to sign up for a full phalla.

Valkun on
  • zanmattozanmatto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've decided I'm going to make a ruleset for a Phalla which involves various household icons and items. IM LOOKING AT YOU, MR CLEAN!

zanmatto on
    edited December 2007
    Is it acceptable to begin a signup during the (presumably) final day of the ongoing one, or is it preferable to wait for the end?

I won't be around for whatever tomorrow's results are, so it wouldn't be well into Sunday morning that I get them going in the latter case.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to begin a signup during the (presumably) final day of the ongoing one, or is it preferable to wait for the end?

I won't be around for whatever tomorrow's results are, so it wouldn't be well into Sunday morning that I get them going in the latter case.

I'm pretty sure we had signups start on the final day of a previous phalla. Espcially since there is like what, 6 people left?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Acceptable by me? Sure. By CF rules and regulations? Iunno. There is the fact that there's only a single mini going on right now, so, maybe?

Frosteey on
    edited December 2007
    Do it... dooo it.

PsychoLarry1 on
    edited December 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »

Acceptable by me? Sure. By CF rules and regulations? Iunno. There is the fact that there's only a single mini going on right now, so, maybe?

Well, at a cursory glance, it doesn't seem to be against the rules per se... it's mostly your okay I wanted.

And strangely enough, both yours and the mini are in its final day.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »

Well, at a cursory glance, it doesn't seem to be against the rules per se... it's mostly your okay I wanted.

And strangely enough, both yours and the mini are in its final day.

That's really good timing and how mini phallas should work out. :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    signing up to run another phalla

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    C'mon Zot, can't you wait until you run your game before signing up for another? Otherwise I'd have already put my name up there again while waiting to run my first...

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Having to wait to run mine is really the only reason my name isn't up there thirty times in a row.

Hylianbunny on
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    But

but

Grundlterror

:(

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In case my recent Phalla hiatus had anyone wondering, I am still planning to run my game. The theme is Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In case my recent Phalla hiatus had anyone wondering, I am still planning to run my game. The theme is Isaac Asimov's Foundation series.

Dibs on the Mule.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm signing up to run a Phalla. Lucky Number Slevin themed.

Oats on
    edited December 2007
    That sounds fun.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited December 2007
    It's going to be interesting working in the plot of the movie. I also think a lot of the narrations are going to take a while to write, if I want them to be halfway decent and in the proper style.

Oats on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    When I get my turn I feel that narrations will be the scariest part.

M.D. on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Everyone always underestimates how difficult narration is. And how little motivation you have after tabulating all the results. ;)

I will take this opportunity to post in the new Master Phalla thread that I am a narrator for hire; it's the aspect I enjoy most. So if anyone needs help I am more than willing!

Locus on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Writing a narration is quite difficult indeed. For me it helped to have a few ideas listed of what I should write about if such-and-such happened and to try and connect the narrations to each other, so that a small story is created. I really liked the narrations in Caves of Phalla, because there was a lot of information in them and I didn't have to read the rest of the thread.

Aldo on
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Do we not have the How to Host a Phalla thread anymore?

My game is coming up and I'm kinda nervous :P

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This is the thread to discuss mechanics now as well.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • GrundlterrorGrundlterror Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone have the balancing info. Like if I have X numbers of total players I should have Y number of good specials and Z number of baddies?

Grundlterror on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2007
    So, every post of mine in this thread from now on will likely contain spoilers for the movie Lucky Number Slevin. This spoiler contains both spoilers and potential mechanics.
    I'm thinking of doing a three faction brawl, "darkies" v "skullcaps" with "cops" thrown in for spice. Slevin and Goodkat being a "neutral" party with the goal to kill X people who are especially crooked (a few from each faction). Mob leaders would be worth double to Slevin/Goodkat.

I'm also definitely considering a gambling bit, where everyone can gamble and use their winnings to buy cop intelligence (seerings, maybe a guard or an extra kill). Effectiveness of each would be proportionate to the number of cops left standing.

I'm also debating tossing the following:
    a caveat should either Slevin or Goodkat die, that they'd also want revenge for their fallen partner.
    some form of obfuscation of death as one time abilities for the heavy hitters (mob bosses/head detective/Slevin and Goodkat)

Oats on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone have the balancing info. Like if I have X numbers of total players I should have Y number of good specials and Z number of baddies?

There are some basic numbers for the very basic Mafia game, but other than that, it's more a guesstimate at best.

The first questions I think someone should have about their game are:

1) How many players am I expecting to have? (Helps figure out how many and what kinds of roles you want in the game)

2) How many days (max) do I want the game to go? (Helps you figure out, with the above, how many kills need to be present, on average, every day if you plan the usual outnumber the other faction or eliminate all bad guy victory)

From there, you can go with everything else. How many factions do you want? What kinds of abilities or specials/bad guys?

For example, say you want 60 players in a game that spans no more than 10 days, you'd want to look at an average of maybe 5-6 kills a night?

Maybe you want there to be a 15% bad guy population. That's 9 bad guys. Give them 2 kills a night which leaves 3-4 kills in the hands of the village. So the village has a lot of chances to kill bad guys. Look at making sure those kills still exist somehow each night. Maybe have two death votes or the top 2 die etc.

As far as specials go, I've heard that for every good special, it probably evens out 1 bad guy. So if you figure 9 bad guys and by normal odds the village has a decent chance in beating out a 10 or so % bad guy population with a vote kill and a vigilante kill each night, maybe add as many specials as you add bad guys. The 10-15% assumes the presence of a guardian, seer and vigilante.

Really, it all depends on how much you let the village know. Hide the roles and you put more odds on the bad guys. Give role information out at the start and you favor the village more. Etc.

Ardor on
This discussion has been closed.