As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    GeorgFourGeorgFour Registered User new member
    Hello there, i'm looking some postapocaliptic games for android, any advices? 8-)

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Fallout Shelter? There's an alpha version of Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead but I didn't find it to be playable.

Edit: This looks interesting except the screenshot shows a fucking typo in the word "strength." WTF indies. I can't play your game if it has typos. I just... can't.

Justice on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    I fully reccomend anyone on android get
    Soul Knight

it's like enter the gundeon?

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    I've been playing a lot of Super Tank Rumble the past few days, and I've been having a blast with it. Basically you get a ton of parts and weapons to design a kind of cartoony tank and fight against other people's creations. Seems to be either new enough or balanced enough that there's actually quite a lot of variety in people's designs, that no singular meta has emerged that I have seen.

• Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Super Tank Rumble the past few days, and I've been having a blast with it. Basically you get a ton of parts and weapons to design a kind of cartoony tank and fight against other people's creations. Seems to be either new enough or balanced enough that there's actually quite a lot of variety in people's designs, that no singular meta has emerged that I have seen.

STR is great. There does seem to be a meta, though. Most of the defense losses I receive are from players using jumping tanks to exploit the brain-dead AI.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    New Humble Mobile bundle:

bevp9v9.png?1

I can't speak to their quality on a phone but the $5 tier has some pretty well regarded games from a general gaming standpoint.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I played all 3 $5 tier games on Steam and I loved them for their stories and the sheer creativity behind them.

So I guess this bundle isn't worth buying for me, because buying the same games twice is a bit of overkill.

• Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Castles of Mad King Ludwig is marked down to $1 for one day only. It is the digital version of a board game wherein you try to build the best castle. Discount also applies to Apples and apparently Kindles but I don't have either of those.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    I've randomly stumbled upon BuriedBorne while waiting for my wife to pick out shoes. Currently super addicted, the shitty translation makes me love it even more for some reason.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I've been playing Match Land, which I heard about on Kotaku. It's pretty good, but feels very grind-y, and the constant wait for more energy is killer.

And no, you can't just buy away the energy meter. You have to buy gems, which you can spend hundreds of dollars on.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I'm playing SpaceTeam. I had no idea about this game before.

It's fun. Tap tap tap.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    I have the paid version of Legends of Yore. Picked it up ages ago. It works just fine on my phone. Font is a but weird but isnt a problem.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I am playing Magikarp Jump which is the best game known to man.

• Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Surprise sequel to Monument Valley is out today on iOS and is "coming soon" to Android. As a huge fan of the original, I am absolutely ecstatic. Can't wait to play it.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I hope this one is longer and/or harder than the first one.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GMaster7 wrote: »
    Surprise sequel to Monument Valley is out today on iOS and is "coming soon" to Android. As a huge fan of the original, I am absolutely ecstatic. Can't wait to play it.
    Oh god, this made my day!

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    Oh god, this made my day!

Ditto, man!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    New Humble Mobile Bundle

igeR9wY.png

I don't know anything about any of these but Legend of the Skyfish looked interesting.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    theSquid wrote: »
    I am playing Magikarp Jump which is the best game known to man.

I am playing this also. you don't have to tap anything for training right? its supposedly random but tapping the screen makes noise which makes me think its not

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Is it bad that I'm turned off to these mobile bundles since I can't get Grim Fandango to play nice with my phone?

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

If I could have it without the sparse, ambiguous story line this time I would be super happy.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is it bad that I'm turned off to these mobile bundles since I can't get Grim Fandango to play nice with my phone?

What's the problem? I played through GF on my phone without issue. It was either on my Nexus 6 or 6P. Looks like I got it via Humble Bundle as well.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    My 5X played the opening cinematic to a blank screen with subtitles and sound; then noped right out when it got to the opening game screen -- or whatever screen is supposed to show up after the opening. Unless the opening cinematic is just supposed to be a blank screen with dialog and subtitles? I have no idea! Whee!

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

What's the problem? I played through GF on my phone without issue. It was either on my Nexus 6 or 6P. Looks like I got it via Humble Bundle as well.

I think GF doesn't work on a lot of phones to be honest. I mean, it doesn't even run on the Galaxy S7 which I found odd.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options

If I could have it without the sparse, ambiguous story line this time I would be super happy.

That article I linked says that the storytelling is less sparse and less ambiguous this time around.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

That article I linked says that the storytelling is less sparse and less ambiguous this time around.

Two thumbs up. I almost stopped playing the original because of it's ambiguous "Oooooh, maybe you are a bad guy, maybe" bullshit.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Are there any decent little 4x games yet for mobile? I backed an android civ clone many years ago but it's gone dark

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Are there any decent little 4x games yet for mobile? I backed an android civ clone many years ago but it's gone dark

Battle of Polytopia is great and works fantastically on mobile. It is developed for mobile and that is lovely. It has bright colors, displays all relevant information clearly on a small screen, doesn't lose progress when you close the app and allows for short play sessions. It is F2P with new races (and with that bigger maps) unlocked as 1 time in-app purchases.

Earlier it was called Super Tribes and the iPhone version got a good review from Pocket Tactics. Since then the game has received multiple updates and expansions, the latest added an Atlantis-like tribe.

Alternatively you could install a DOS emulator and play games from yore such as Master of Orion.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular

Battle of Polytopia is great and works fantastically on mobile. It is developed for mobile and that is lovely. It has bright colors, displays all relevant information clearly on a small screen, doesn't lose progress when you close the app and allows for short play sessions. It is F2P with new races (and with that bigger maps) unlocked as 1 time in-app purchases.

Earlier it was called Super Tribes and the iPhone version got a good review from Pocket Tactics. Since then the game has received multiple updates and expansions, the latest added an Atlantis-like tribe.

Alternatively you could install a DOS emulator and play games from yore such as Master of Orion.

Thanks for the tip, Polytopia is really fun. I have only played 3 games so far, so I don't know how it holds up in the long run, though. My strategy (on easy and normal) seems to boil down to beeline for a Giant with some archer support and then smack the other races because they can't really do anything about it. On my first game (on easy) I got a giant from the first ruins just outside my village. But I didn't know how hugely op he was, so I just used him as an explorer until I got another one the regular way and was like "oh wait, that is a 'super unit'?"

There is definitely some replay value in trying to get the score up and I will go for a pacifist approach at some point.

Do the races make any difference besides starting tech and visual style? I feel the starting tech is kinda whatever unless you hit the perfect starting location for it, which you can't bank on.

• Options
    My girlfriend is a lot more experienced in this than I, so I asked her. She says that the choice of tribe really influences her early game, she likes the desert people best, as the early horses makes her exploration game faster and - as you noticed - exploration is super useful. I have the feeling that the bottom tribes in the options menu are more exotic than the more vanilla ones on top.

• Options
    Thanks.

I tried going pacifist and even got the reward building. But then the other tribes were just milling around in my territory and I tested if mind bender (converting an enemy unit to your side) counts as a hostile action. It did, so I had to wipe the Chinese out.

The Nordic tribe started attacking me when I accidentally moved a ship into their territory (they had parked at least 10 units in mine) but that was turn 27, so I didn't bother going for their stuff.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Been playing Polytopia. Is anyone else not getting achievements?

Do any of the other races unlock through gameplay, or are they paid only?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Grrrrr... when the hell is Scythe coming out?!

Scythe is a board game that I'm absolute shit at, has amazing art and gameplay, and both farming and mechs.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Mario_SunshineMario_Sunshine Registered User regular
    Have started to play Mario Run until i see the point where i need to pay more to unlock the level.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Paid only. Achievements were going just fine for me earlier.

• Options

Fwiw I also didn't get any achievements, but I don't care so I didn't look into it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Polytopia is excellent fun but I don't feel especially compelled to buy any of the other empires given the minor differences. I may do anyway just to say thanks to the devs

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Polytopia is excellent fun but I don't feel especially compelled to buy any of the other empires given the minor differences. I may do anyway just to say thanks to the devs

Same here, although the aquatic one sounds fun.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

Fwiw I also didn't get any achievements, but I don't care so I didn't look into it.

Yeah. Still no achievements, but I was mostly concerned that maybe that was how you unlocked the other factions.

It was a fun little game, but I feel completely done with it now after five games.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    Could anyone please recommend a good tower defense game?