As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Oxygen Not Included] Breath of Fresh Air! (DLC in Early Access)

BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
edited July 2021 in Games and Technology
51ggWLQ.jpg

Oxygen Not Included is sci-fi base building sim/survival game made by Klei, makers of Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja. It is available on Steam. It has sciencey gameplay and a lovely art style which will make that much more horrible to watch your Dupes die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-8usFhMN_c

Bedlam on

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    <3

Highly recommended.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    So my initial attempts were going quite well. I decided to mine a bunch of algae that was in the ceiling. Slightly above that area was a bunch of water so I felt safe leaving a small barrier thinking that I would come back to that area once I figured out hot to route it. Only to have the damn burst open and flood half my base. So then my dupes had to scramble to dig another hole down to route that water into another reservoir below us. This also had the hilarious consequence of flooding the bathrooms so no one could go till an alternate was built. Suffice to say my colony went from low stress to very high stress very quickly.

I had a separate problem where I wanted to build a wall to keep the oxygen in and Nisbet ended up on top of the wall that she was told to build in which ended up putting her is a small prison. So I had to quick get a dig order and a ladder to get her down. And my initial attempts to build a working shower started with me routing the pipes so that the water just pumped past it and nobody could use it. That took a few tries to get right.

• chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I just got this on the recommendation of a friend. I've been really enjoying it so far, but in the 3ish attempts that I've done so far, I get to a part when power starts to become a huge problem. I'm sure its partially that I'm building too many inefficient power sinks, but also, the transformers seem to be very, unintuitive.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    This really looks adorable.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Basil wrote: »
    This really looks adorable.

It's adorable yet surprisingly grisly. So many horrifying deaths.

The ongoing theme of my colony is that things are pretty bad but nobody's dead.

Yet.

Bedlam wrote: »
    The ongoing theme of my colony is that things are pretty bad but nobody's dead.

Yet.

kBQFo9e.jpg

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    So, is this in a fun/playable state ATM? super tempted to buy, seems right up my alley. (and oddly makes me reminisce about our PA space station 13 games)

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    So, is this in a fun/playable state ATM? super tempted to buy, seems right up my alley. (and oddly makes me reminisce about our PA space station 13 games)

I'd definitely say that its playable. I can see aspects that are unfinished/room to expand, but I'm certainly having fun with it.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Broke and bought it. All my mans keep dying of C02 poisoning and everything is constantly covered in vomit and needs to be mopped . A+ would buy again. this is awesome.

edited May 2017
    Is there anything that gets rid of soggy feet? I tried building a heater but that just sits there and uses up power. Plus the base is pretty temperate so we don't need to waste energy if we don't have to.

Bedlam on
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Is there anything that gets rid of soggy feet? I tried building a heater but that just sits there and uses up power. Plus the base is pretty temperate so we don't need to waste energy if we don't have to.

Showers. Seems like that would just make them soggier but it works *shrug*

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Well, I caved and decided to check this out. The brave space colony Designed By Committee was going pretty smoothly for a while--plenty of oxygen, no stress, more or less stable on food--but the most conveniently-located watering hole dried up, and the next closest was far enough away that things kind of ground to a halt. So much of the day was spent just hauling water to the algae and the kitchen. So I embarked on an expedition into the slime-filled caverns to the east with the goal of finding a contaminated water source, purifying it, and pumping it into a reservoir. But somehow a pressurized pocket of water fueled by a geyser breached and started flooding everything. I tried to wall it off but the pressure keeps threatening to break down the barriers. And the water just keeps building up more and more. If it gets all the way to the main living area it's gonna be real bad.

EDIT: Oh god, I resumed my game and the water IMMEDIATELY burst through the soil somewhere else where my previous barricade didn't cover. This is baaaaaaad.

EDIT: OH NOOOOOOOO

EDIT: Bubbles!! Why would you do this?!
    kw2rnz5pvdc1.jpg
    I'm going to get you out, Bubbles!
    kei0p0xih0r0.jpg

Help is on the way!
    px7lrzh5wzym.jpg

Well. Back to the drawing board I guess.
    9v0u14tawhwo.jpg

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
    Looks like at cycle 60 my chickens have finally come home to roost. Because of the water crisis and the algae crisis Ive had to dig and reroute my water pools together, which lead to most of the water being polluted. I tried to set up a filtration but it isn't working fast enough to meet the demand and they are collecting polluted water, which is making everyone sick. There is stress vomiting, and ugly criers everywhere. With the good news that the cries are producing clean water, so the colony is literally collecting their tears.

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, I'm on Cycle 43 and Designed By Committee is floundering. The power grid is holding together by a thread, we're down to Mush Bars and I'm barely producing enough to keep everyone alive, and we're scraping the bottom of the algae barrel with the oxygen steadily dwindling. I doubt we'll last much longer.

Pumps are a lot less effective than I expected. You only get a teensy little trickle out of them, so it looks like you need two or three pumping purified water if you want to serve any sort of decent population.

EDIT: I stabilized the algae situation, but I'm almost out of coal and I'm not sure how to get more or replace my coal generator. That'll REALLY be the end if a miracle doesn't happen. I'm trying to figure out how to get a hydrogen generator set up but I don't know if it'll be enough.

EDIT: Yeeeeeah, I'm calling it. I found enough coal to limp along for a while longer, but my hydrogen generator setup failed due to lack of filtration, my algae production collapsed for some reason, and the sleeping quarters are basically no longer oxygenated. 53 cycles, and I'm sure people would be dropping dead within another week. I'm gonna have to do a lot better with power, water, and algae management next time.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    This looks really cool, but is there any alien wild life in the game yet? Or is that a future feature?

Ive seen at least 3 different alien creatures. Yeah.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Ah cool. I think I might hold off on this until it's fully launched but a sci-fi version of Dwarf Fortress would be my jam.

As long as their are Lovecraftian horrors to contend with

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Ah cool. I think I might hold off on this until it's fully launched but a sci-fi version of Dwarf Fortress would be my jam.

It feels pretty incomplete so far. It's fun but just needs a little more. Because it's Klei I'm sure it'll turn out great though

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Picked this up last weekend and I'm liking what's there.

My first colony "ThisWillEndPoorly" hasn't ended poorly yet, although I lost three colonists to starvation (they will be missed replaced) before getting some calories banked up.

My next item is to dig out and setup some larger storage areas for water and polluted water. Maybe hopefully, the excavation for that will uncover some seeds so I can get more food surplus.

Eventually, I can see a Steam Geyser and Natural Gas vent in the nearby area that I'd love to expand out towards and incorporate both into my base. I've got enough going that I'm at the point where I want to do some out-of-game research to plan out my next steps.

I'm not quite seeing how food is gathered without expansion pulling in more seeds.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

It feels pretty incomplete so far. It's fun but just needs a little more. Because it's Klei I'm sure it'll turn out great though

Yeah, it's not like Klei is known for not adding a ridiculous amount of content and features (seriously, when I saw it was the Don't Starve devs, it went from "eh, looks neat" to "MUST. HAVE." in my mind in about 2 seconds).

Picked this up last week, loving it so far. Though I'm super frustrated by Hydrogen generators at the moment. They are buggy as all hell and don't quite seem to be able to keep running no matter how efficient I get my hydrolyzer setup.

My first colony "ThisWillEndPoorly" hasn't ended poorly yet, although I lost three colonists to starvation (they will be missed replaced) before getting some calories banked up.

My next item is to dig out and setup some larger storage areas for water and polluted water. Maybe hopefully, the excavation for that will uncover some seeds so I can get more food surplus.

Eventually, I can see a Steam Geyser and Natural Gas vent in the nearby area that I'd love to expand out towards and incorporate both into my base. I've got enough going that I'm at the point where I want to do some out-of-game research to plan out my next steps.

I'm not quite seeing how food is gathered without expansion pulling in more seeds.

As far as I can tell there is no renewable food sources. It seems that all seeds/plants have a fixed number of harvests. Someone feel free to correct me on this?

I just make muck bars and switch to meal lice bars when I can.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Is the $5 off for a Klei game promotion over or is it something not advertised that is taken off at checkout?

m!ttens wrote: »
    Is the $5 off for a Klei game promotion over or is it something not advertised that is taken off at checkout?
    Im still showing a discount on the store page. If you look at it from another page it might not show. I don't if they announced a limit to the discount or not.

Weird. It was showing up last night at $24.99 even though I own Shank 1&2, Don't Starve and Mark of the Ninja. Just checked Steam Mobile and there it is at $19.99! I know what I'm doing tonight :biggrin:

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

As far as I can tell there is no renewable food sources. It seems that all seeds/plants have a fixed number of harvests. Someone feel free to correct me on this?

Sleet Wheat produces grains which can be replanted. Even a "Standard" harvest gives 25 seeds, giving you a really solid late game food supply. Plus you can add in peppers to actually get a positive food value if you can get all that set up.

Mvrck wrote: »

Sleet Wheat produces grains which can be replanted. Even a "Standard" harvest gives 25 seeds, giving you a really solid late game food supply. Plus you can add in peppers to actually get a positive food value if you can get all that set up.

I didn't know that! Good to know!

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

If you grow everything in hydroponics tiles and give it what you want you get food + seeds for the mealwood + blossom. One row for each (as they use different water types). Generally 2 plants per colonist + a couple more (5 per 2 for blossom) works out fine and you get infinite food and seeds. I went from zero food to having food start to rot in about 20 cycles just because of that

Phyphor on
    This was my first real attempt at building a colony after a few aborted attempts while learning the controls:
    OIQ2o3q.jpg

After 20 cycles, my dupes have reached a point where there are not enough hours in a day to do daily tasks to make food, electricity, etc., and at the same time begin expanding more. The hydroponics thing in the bottom was a failure because it was too warm down there to plant anything but the deconstruct command has been queued up for 2 cycles now.

About when do people start expanding past the sandstone starter area? What tech order seems to make the most sense? What are "must build asap" buildings and what can wait? Any other good rules of thumb (2 plants per dupe like Phyphor mentioned above) to keep in mind?

The only thing I can think from looking at that picture is alternate energy. You can set the priority on the hamster wheels lower so they wont spend so much time charging the battery. A gas pump for the hydrogen and coal for the coal generator.

I've had the same problem where I had a bunch of dupes idle so I started a bunch of new projects and then nothing seems to get done because they are busy running things. Then you run low and resources and have to scramble some dig orders and set some priorities and everybody gets stressed out.

Big Update Today!

Adorable Animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PzqGcL7g1M

I was just coming here to post that. Looks great =).

NEW UPDATE!!

OIL! SUITS! ROOMS! Other stuff probably! Sounds pretty substantial.

No cute video that I could find though :(

I think this update has been a good improvement for me.

The room bonuses help to keep the stress threshold down so you have less of a chance for mass panic early game.

The Atmo Suits take a bit of work to set up but once you get going you can safely work in areas without oxygen without having to babysit the dupes. Only annoying thing is Ive seen a dupe put on a suit and start to work only to get immediately hungry and quit before anything major gets done.

Havent seen any oil so I cant speak to that. I did a ton of exploration and found a ruins which was a really nice touch to the game. I took a screenshot but otherwise not going to spoil what I found.

Havent had too much problem with germs. I set the threshold of disinfect to the far right because otherwise the dupes are just constantly disinfecting. Had a few illnesses but nobodies died on this play through yet and Im at cycle 70. I had a bigger problem with dupes falling in the water and getting hypothermia than with food poisoning or slimelung. All 3 of those have been curable with a med bed though.

I really love this game and I cant wait for an end game goal so that it can be winnable. The counter on the games main page and the commitment to regular updates from Klei has me excited as well. Cant wait to see what they come up with next.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I thought the water tepidizer helped with cooling water, or at least getting water to the proper temp. Might be worth it to harvest wooly seeds and put a wooly or two in your cold tank area. Wooly's were consumption neutral last i played

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Kinda basic tips for this are
    • Replace all flooring with tiles. Besides the decor bonus, it increases dupe movement speed by 25%. By coating your stuff in tiles, you can get stuff done much faster.
    • Take advantage of rooms. By closing off rooms with doors and placing the right buildings, you will gain bonuses. Usually this is just to reduce stress, but you can go months before someone needs a massage.
    • Leveling up tends to increase expectations. Use the food tab to see what dupes expect to eat, and try to adjust accordingly. You can also prohibit your greener dupes from eating nicer food, and likewise experienced dupes from eating garbage. This can get tricky if you aren't able to really farm and churn out the better foods, but at the very least you can ensure your higher tier stuff isn't going to someone who's perfectly happy eating dirt.
    • The game has surprisingly realistic chemistry given how cartoony it is. Everything has weight, including gases, so you can dig pits that allow for the CO2 from your colony to drop. Ideally the pit has some way to convert back to oxygen (which, depending on how your colony is built, can just naturally rise back up to the surface or be pumped where it needs to be. This also includes states of matter: you can move water around without pipes by heating it up and just letting the steam float to wherever it's needed, and then cool it back to liquid form (or even freeze it). There's even frozen chlorine out there if you really want your dupes to die in fun new ways.
    • As your dupes develop skills, consider using the jobs tab to have them stick to tasks they're good at. Try to avoid drones that perform nothing but one task, but consider having a cook, researcher, janitor, and so forth.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Took the plunge for yet another colony sim game...

So far, liking this take on the genre with its focus on stretching resources as much as possible as well as the detailed physical modelling.
    My.... 5th? attempt in a colony is currently sitting at cycle 32 and is about to get started. Personally, I found the following tips to be really useful:
    • Mealwood. Get farming this ASAP. It's the best early food source and will carry you until you get well established. I haven't noticed any penalties for forcing your dupes into eating unprocessed meal lice (yet) even though some of them are looking for -1/0 quality foods.
      Mealwood does not require any irrigation/water or fertiliser, which means they are absolutely zero cost 'free' resources.
    • Skip the microbe pastes. They cost water, which is something you want to minimise usage of, until you get access to steam geysers or something like that. Yes, even lice loafs. 50/75kg of water per day per dupe will add up. See the above; meal lice. You may not like it, the dupes may not like it, but it's better than starving.
    • Stay small until you're established. Yes, the printer is pestering you to take a 5th/6th/7th/8th dupe. Ignore it. Every dupe you bring in before you have established decent amounts of recycling will be a drain on your resources. Have 6 dupes and you haven't got lavatories/sinks and a closed water circuit to maintain those? You're turning good water into bad and it's going to cost you more in later processing.
    • The game is lying to you. Algae Deoxidisers aren't that bad. They offer a 0.9 algae to oxygen ratio vs the 1.3-1.4 ratio of the terrariums, but they don't cost you 180kg of cool, clean water a day, each, for a measly 24kg of oxygen. You need 11-12 terrariums to match a single deoxidiser in O2 output, which means around 2 tonnes of water a day vs burning a bit more algae. If you keep your colony small, a single deoxidiser will keep 4 dupes breathing and not even running at full capacity. With a small enough colony, algae is going to last a really really long time. The terrariums are, however, still useful in the beginning. They consume CO2, which means you can keep that stuff out of your habitation levels until you can spare the labour to dig deep enough to sink all the carbon dioxide away and/or setup a closed water loop for a carbon skimmer. But honestly, try to get off terrariums ASAP.
    • Your best dupe on researching. And only they research. No one else. Advanced research points consume water, and you probably know my stance on how important water is by now. Get through research as fast as possible to minimise water consumption.
    • CO2 creates a sterile environment. Don't get rid of all that CO2! Put your ration box/refrigerators (unplugged) in a pit of CO2 and food won't spoil. Chlorine does the same, and has the bonus effect of outright killing all germs in inventory objects.
    • The temptation is there, but do not kill hatches. Let them om nom on useless stuff like some of the several kilotonnes of sandstone/dirt you may have and let them poop out coal. You can shove the coal into a coal generator and save some much needed dupe labour for other stuff.
    • Get onto ventilation and heat management as soon as possible. Until you get really fancy, there's no way to kill off excess heat unless you sacrifice *drumroll* water. In some ways, using minimal batteries and manual generators is preferable to using the very heat intensive coal generator + banks of batteries to hold the charge but it's up to you what's more important. Alternatively you can find a cold biome and simply do your heat exchange in there or relocate and have the 'fun' problem of maintaining heat in your colony rather than finding ways to destroy it.
    • It seems really disgusting, but get a closed water loop for your lavatory/sink/shower. Pipe the waste water from those into a water purifier (actually just a filter) and into a storage pond with a pump to send it back to those facilities. The water that's generated will be loaded with germs, and the sand filter won't remove all of it. Which means the water is useless for ventilation/cooking. You also want the storage pond because for "some" odd reason, more water is being produced when your dupes flush the toilet than what's required in the flush...

Takel on
    Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Kind of tempted by this, especially because the developers are a known quantity. How far along is the early access side of it? Does the game feel fairly complete or feature-rich, or is there a while off that yet?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It feels pretty complete, and they're still adding more stuff that I'd never had said was missing if it had launched without it.

Personally I feel like it's oversaturated on features, but that's because I know I'm rubbish at these games. There's just too much for me to balance.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.