As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    bowen wrote: »
    Yeah in terms of game engines it is a PITA to optimize it. Everything feels like it has Snyder's BvS grimdark spewed all over it.

Unity feels like a better engine to tackle as an indie if you were to ever need a full blown game engine.

i may have mislead you, but this is also good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvc9_GDoWI4

to what bacon said - also maya has a free student version, if your not a student you can lie they wont know.

SeveredHead on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Hoo boy.

Starting with Blender today. Lets see how it goes!

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    neat, as a programmer that looks like some sort of stylized celshading

very unique

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Well I bit the bullet and postponed my art show. They let me do it but the next availability is next May, which is later than I would have liked, but still much better than putting on a show I'm not happy with. It's sad but also an enormous relief.

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    So uh...anyone want to help me start a print house?
    https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/bfs/6127798145.html

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    Doodmann wrote: »

pft that's for posterboard and t-shirts isn't it?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Doodmann wrote: »

pft that's for posterboard and t-shirts isn't it?

More for posters, large format printing and general flat stock stuff. I don't think anyone would use that for t-shirts.

Hell you could do a 2-up or 4-up on that depending on the size.

$700 seems like a good price for that.

Bet something's broken.

edited May 2017
    $700 seems like a good price for that.

Bet something's broken.

Considering they are like 20,000 new, I agree.

Could just be that its old and the size/weight of it make it worthless to them.

Doodmann on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Blender's pretty cool, guys! I got a couple of Udemy tutorials for 90% off and am working through them. It's got a pretty heavy system intimidation factor, but working through it with instruction is helping a lot.

Thanks for the recommendation!

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Hey folks I have a lot of trouble trying to design cool and beautiful clothes/costumes for my characters
    How do I improve on that?

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    It might seem like a no brainer, but look at fashion or costume websites and catalogs. I am totally biased, but check out jpeterman.com for some vintage looks. The clothes there are all hand illustrated and it might give you some ideas.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    Hey folks I have a lot of trouble trying to design cool and beautiful clothes/costumes for my characters

I also find that browsing Pinterest (and following the right people) leads to some REALLY cool costuming ideas that I never would've considered.

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod

I always feel weird reposting my own shit, but I wrote a thing that may be relevant?
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/35867836/#Comment_35867836

That old post covers a lot of ground, bacon, its not weird to link it rather than type it all again.

I'll back up ND on pinterest to. Since moving my reference online, I'm much, much more likely to pull it up and use it. I'm in the slow process of converting all my useless tumblr favs into organized, pinterest pins. It really helps me in random situations like "Oh I want to look at some clothes right now" or landscapes, or whatever, and it's a tailored folder of all the shit I'm into in that category.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Speaking of character design, how dope was the bauhaus school!?
    escola_bauhaus.jpg

• brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular

Oh yea! I just thought of something! Browse the #OOTD tag in Instagram. It's people posting their Outfit Of The Day and it can be some good references for ideas.

In my ongoing search for a press.

On one hand, this is clearly a crazy person, on the other hand $50...

https://palmsprings.craigslist.org/for/6130395952.html

I'm going to get shot while they try to rob me for meth money won't I.

It's certainly not something you want to go pick up solo.

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Should I sign up for the Watts bootcamp? Help me out here, chat. Been waffling over the idea for a few days now. Its expensive, time consuming, probably stressful, and I'm definitely not good compared to other people who could fill slots. On the other hand, its 8 days in an environment I can't replicate at home and a chance to soak in all sorts of advice. On the other other hand, I could always wait a year and catch a workshop in 2018 with more experience under my belt...

Oh hey! I've been MIA for a bit so I just now saw this post. I did actually attend a Watts bootcamp workshop in January of this year! It was the "illustration boot camp" so it had a very different focus from the 8-day drawing workshop, which I have not attended. The workshop I went to was one week spent working on a single illustration with ongoing feedback from the instructors. The summer bootcamp I think is going to be just 8 days of working on lots and lots of figure drawing mostly.

So the first thing I'd say is that I agree with Bacon, you definitely don't need to worry about your skill level. After checking out your thread I can confidently say that i personally know some people who are attending Watts full time right now who are at an earlier stage in their drawing development than you. So that's not an issue whatsoever.

So here's how I see it. In one sense you will learn a lot from talking to the instructors and drawing with them for a week. In another sense, realistically there's only so much actual drawing skill development and learning that can happen in one week. BUT personally, I found it invaluable to sit down with the instructors, look at my work, talk about my goals, etc etc. They are really wonderful folks who will be eager to help give you a boost in the right direction. And you will hopefully take away lots of general information about your approach to drawing, how to think about achieving your long-term goals, mindset, that sort of thing.

It's kind of hard to say whether or not you should or shouldn't attend, since it really depends on your finances and ability to take a week away from whatever else you have going on. Ultimately, if you can afford it and don't mind the hassle of presumably traveling to CA then I say go for it. It's definitely a great experience, at least it was for me!

But yeah, as Bacon pointed out you can read my experience about attending the illustration workshop in my thread. And I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    escola_bauhaus.jpg

This looks straight out of one of your art pieces! haha

m3nace wrote: »
    https://rosswolfe.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/escola_bauhaus.jpg

I feel there has to be a social studies textbook in one of the more xenophobic middle America states that features this picture with the caption, "Europeans in their natural habitat."

It's certainly not something you want to go pick up solo.

It really depends on where in Palm Springs it is, but yeah...like I could probably post that on /r/notaserialkiller or something.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Lamp wrote: »
    Oh hey! I've been MIA for a bit so I just now saw this post. I did actually attend a Watts bootcamp workshop in January of this year! It was the "illustration boot camp" so it had a very different focus from the 8-day drawing workshop, which I have not attended. The workshop I went to was one week spent working on a single illustration with ongoing feedback from the instructors. The summer bootcamp I think is going to be just 8 days of working on lots and lots of figure drawing mostly.

So the first thing I'd say is that I agree with Bacon, you definitely don't need to worry about your skill level. After checking out your thread I can confidently say that i personally know some people who are attending Watts full time right now who are at an earlier stage in their drawing development than you. So that's not an issue whatsoever.

So here's how I see it. In one sense you will learn a lot from talking to the instructors and drawing with them for a week. In another sense, realistically there's only so much actual drawing skill development and learning that can happen in one week. BUT personally, I found it invaluable to sit down with the instructors, look at my work, talk about my goals, etc etc. They are really wonderful folks who will be eager to help give you a boost in the right direction. And you will hopefully take away lots of general information about your approach to drawing, how to think about achieving your long-term goals, mindset, that sort of thing.

It's kind of hard to say whether or not you should or shouldn't attend, since it really depends on your finances and ability to take a week away from whatever else you have going on. Ultimately, if you can afford it and don't mind the hassle of presumably traveling to CA then I say go for it. It's definitely a great experience, at least it was for me!

But yeah, as Bacon pointed out you can read my experience about attending the illustration workshop in my thread. And I'm happy to answer any other questions you might have!

Thanks for that. I'm trying not to value the bootcamp on cost. Its probably alright for me to drop three thousand dollars on something fun when I've spent ten times that on student loans in the past couple years.

Right now, I've got a seat reserved. I plan on going, as long as something at work or life doesn't crop up, and there's a little bit less than four more months to try and prepare for the bootcamp for maximum instruction.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    gonna drop some animation in here because why not, also double king is my fave right not.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_MSFkZHNi4

I cant remember if anything in this was NSFW but I would just assume so:

Looooove the colors on this one

Man Double King is awesome, a real animator thing too. No way someone who isn't an animator could've come up with all those segues and trip sequences, god damn.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Double King is so very very good.

• gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Going back through some of the animation catalog of my lifetime, its amusing that you can peg the movies almost to the year by their particular usage of egregious CGI. You start seeing hints of it in the late 90's. Anastasia has that matte painting effect where all the CGI is off color and off lighting for the rest of the scene. Then you see movies like Atlantis that started using it for the big techie stuff - your ancient robots and such. Then obviously you have the huge surge in 3D with Toy Story (and man is that ugly looking back). Now we're to the point that anime tries to cheat by stealing notes from RWBY, and cartooning has embraced tweening and Flash-style.

Still hate Don Bluth's animation, though. Probably because All Dogs Go To Heaven scared the ever-living shit out of me as a preschooler.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    The most egregious thing I can think of is in Treasure Planet. There are straight up mid nineties blob style alien whales early on in the movie that ruin it for me.

There's kinda a nostalgic charm to shitty 3D, like old n64 games, and shows like Reboot. I wouldn't call them....well, good. But seeing 3D like that takes me back to a time where you had never seen anything like it.

I like looking back at early 3d games because there's something charming about an era where apparently nobody had any idea how wide or thick an average door was supposed to be.

edited May 2017
    Rejoice!!! I am now done with my 94 page existential super villain drama "Dr. Murder" for my exams, and now I just need to set the whole thing up and such. Here's a page that didn't make the cut jfuc2ars7rpl.jpg

Eventually I'll be sending it to a bunch of publishers and such, but the school will be publishing the first 30 pages online next month.

m3nace on
    I like looking back at early 3d games because there's something charming about an era where apparently nobody had any idea how wide or thick an average door was supposed to be.

Oh god I need a youtube supercut of shitty doors.

@m3nace did you mean to put that post in the doodle thread?

I think Pilot Wings is like the pinnacle of my N64 nostalgia:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6dzRl5w-I

even looking as shitty as it does now, it has the chillest vibe.

• BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Lol that ellipse practice page is something else

• rtsrts Registered User regular
    In teaching myself Unity/Unreal

That is a broad approach, are you just experimenting to figure out what suits you?

rts wrote: »
    In teaching myself Unity/Unreal

That is a broad approach, are you just experimenting to figure out what suits you?

I mean, my familiarity with these things are really mostly a dabbler's interest - I've been playing around with whatever free editors I could get my hands on since back in the Quake 1/Unreal 1 days, way before I had an art career of any sort. I'm certainly no expert, and I know I don't have the time or interest to really get to a point where I'd be hired as a professional environment artist or tech artist or whatever. I can knock some geo and textures together and place some lights, which is enough for me, and it sounds like enough for what Enc has in mind.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    bombardier wrote: »
    Double King is so very very good.

Felix Colgrave is an Australian national treasure

And congrats Menace!

Flay on