As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gwent] Homecoming is out!

• PriscaPrisca Registered User regular
    Been playing it on the PC closed beta for awhile .. great game .. it's certainly a refreshing change of pace from Hearthstone which I gave up on a few years ago.

I'm not a fan of the Monster weathers decks though .. they remind me terribly of zoolocks.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    It seems like my MMR plateaus at about 1300

Mostly, I think, because I've got a pretty basic set of cards compared with higher-level people

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Blech

Just ran into a card that copies the last special card played

I assumed it meant the last special card the owner played? Just a bad assumption

So when I used a useless card, just to show a beaten opponent what I had, he used it to turn the tables on me

It's always so annoying to lose against a manageable card you haven't seen before

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Finally hit 2500, rank 10.

I've been using a variant of this control radovid deck http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/13000-3-9k-radovid-control

Taking out the siege supports and replacing them with reaver hunters made the deck so much more reliable. The bronzes are now basically all deck-thinners, so I reliably get to my power-swing golds and silvers. I'm pretty regularly seeing 22-23 cards of my deck. Plus siege supports were always buffing my units into Bork range, making him awkward as fuck to use.

I also just got Ocvist in a random keg earlier and I think his card advantage/threat is pretty damn solid.

edited May 2017
    OPEN BETA IS LIVE! FREE TO PLAY!

If you were looking for a chance to get (back) into Gwent, there's never been a better time!

https://www.playgwent.com/en

Cinematic trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yu7FVZOyAo

Gameplay trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKqy04OmOGo

For new players there's a pretty good tutorial in game, but if you're wanting to read a bit about the game first, this google doc is a good introduction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WExs_NgEkmF1GtoxdocSTBOPGRZAFKryuNzEb5-ku3k/preview#heading=h.j9cnwut87que

for those coming from Closed beta: there's a tutorial with voice acting now. Tons of card changes: faction abilities are gone, leaders are now cards that spawn on the battlefield with power values, keywords are in, new currency for crafting premium cards, each weather has a unique effect that can spawn on any row on one side (no longer affects both halves of the board). Northern Realms has been reworked. It's almost a completely different game.

Check it: http://www.gwentdb.com/news/107-gwent-public-beta-now-live-whats-changed

valiance on
    Anyone want to group up? My friends list on the GOG client is quite sparse currently.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Man, they've changed the game so much. Basically have to relearn the game completely.

Also yeah, I have no GoG friends. Should be Dracil on there. Maybe we need a doc in the OP for friendlists.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I never got around to checking this out during closed beta, but gave it a shot with the open beta.
    Played for a bit and it's pretty cool. I have 0 GOG friends. I'm akajaybay on there as well.

I'll send you both invites.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Decided to check the game out after losing interest during closed beta and man what in the world I don't even know what half of these things are anymore.

Northern realm now has all this armor and crews and I have no idea what any of it means yet.

edited May 2017
    veteratorian on GOG I'll add a bunch of you guys. Maybe @OnTheLastCastle we can get a friendlist in the main post? and an open beta update? Or maybe new thread?

@Inquisitor yeah I stopped playing for a month or so when I just stopped climbing ranked, but I've been following streamers and I still have no idea what's going on. It's a whole new world :biggrin:

valiance on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I can do a friends list. People can PM me, I'll work on it later.

I'll update thread too!

I will have the top 100 banner because lol Xbox leaderboard. It was so hard to find matches but I won about 66% of my games playing just Radovid control.

OnTheLastCastle on
    edited May 2017
    Just send me PM if you want to group up on GoG.

Prisca on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    This is really good. Loving the large number of changes since the closed beta, the fact that Bart is the dealer of new packs, and that you get to choose the 5th card in each pack. And I really wish more CCGs used the multi-faceted rarity/deckbuilding restriction quality; definitely lets them design some really wild cards without throwing the whole game out of balance.

edited May 2017
    So far, the new Weather Monster is pretty nice. It's not as swingy as before, and doesn't end in a no-op if the other side Clear Skies it away because of the new damage effects. Winning most of my games so far, even against people who have the portrait/titles from higher ranks than me in closed beta. Probably could've gotten a higher rank but I didn't want to invest too much time in it with the wipe and all. But even then, most games are incredibly close, down to the last card type of deal which is what I really like about the game.

I feel like the most common mistake I've seen are people who insist on fighting under incredibly bad situations (like full weather board doing 2 damage to all their non-gold units/turn) instead of just ending the round.

Dracil on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Game is pretty simple to "get" if you actually played Witcher 3 and any card game before this (in particular HS). The UI feels a bit overdone to me (the keg opening is too much), but everything else is pretty cool. I do enjoy that while it has the same feel of Witcher, it seems like it has it's own art style. Hard to put my finger on it.

I'm assuming there is no account linking or X-Play between PS4 and PC/XB1. The idiocy continues.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like PS4/PC is in. I hope they allow for account linking at some point.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Game is pretty simple to "get" if you actually played Witcher 3 and any card game before this (in particular HS). The UI feels a bit overdone to me (the keg opening is too much), but everything else is pretty cool. I do enjoy that while it has the same feel of Witcher, it seems like it has it's own art style. Hard to put my finger on it.

I'm assuming there is no account linking or X-Play between PS4 and PC/XB1. The idiocy continues.

EDIT: Nevermind. It looks like PS4/PC is in. I hope they allow for account linking at some point.

Xbox and PC will link once it is on windows universal play or whatever it's called. it might already.

Xbox vs. PC has been possible all along, I don't know about PS4 vs. XBOX

urgh, i still gotta update the OP today!

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Got nothing overly awesome in my kegs but oh well not that many.

As a welcome back to Gwent one of my first casual games I lost game 3 because I dropped a same num mob as my opponent who had top decked scorch into game three. We both were going in with the draw only left.

Jubal77 on
    I had keg-choice between Zoltan, Assassinate, and Vernon Roche; being totally unfamiliar with the meta, I just took what seemed like the safe pick with Assassinate.

87 kegs. Got I think 6 legendaries? Not sure I made the right choice with all of them but I got a few top tier ones: zoltan chivay, vilgefortz. and some ok ones: woodland spirit, vattier, iorveth (shitty but premium), and caretaker.

If you aren't sure how to pick legendaries, the gwentify/gwentlemen card picker might be for you: http://gwentify.com/card-picker/

I think zoltan was your best choice there, not sure assassinate will be played, and vernon seems good, but not sure if NR is any good. They are in a weird, confusing place right now.

Oh cool, looks like they may have reset the votes on the cards. Though they have some cards that aren't really cards anymore (leaders)

valiance wrote: »
    If you aren't sure how to pick legendaries, the gwentify/gwentlemen card picker might be for you: http://gwentify.com/card-picker/

I think zoltan was your best choice there, not sure assassinate will be played, and vernon seems good, but not sure if NR is any good. They are in a weird, confusing place right now.

Ah, cool. It was Zoltan: Animal Tamer, so apparently the best choice was Roche. In my head I was thinking that Assassinate was "Demote, Lock, then Kill", which seems like it'd be a bit more appropriate and useful. Oh well.

edited May 2017
    I really wish the keg screen gave the keyword descriptions. Had a few choices that I did not understand at all.
    Having decent success with the one and only deck I've been playing with so far. Eithe scoitatel deck with a lot of dwarf buffing dwarves.
    Coolest keg card I've gotten so far I think is Regis.
    Because Regis is cool. But then I also learned what consume means.

akajaybay on
    Apparently gold weather cards may be kinda OP right now.

Dracil wrote: »

Yeah, my first game in the Casual Queue was versus someone that apparently had a decently fleshed out John Calveit Spies deck with Rag Naa Roog and Drought. I feel like Rag Naa Roog should probably effect both players, if not Drought as well.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    It seems I still don't know how to play Gwent, followed the tutorial but they rush you through it and suddenly you won the round by passing a turn without teaching you why and how. When the tutorial ended and you were left with a real battle I dumped a bunch of cards on the table, pressed pass and I won?

This is why I completely ignored it in The Witcher, I don't get this at all. it doesn't make sense to me.

D083uBC.jpg
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This game looks super cool. I play a bunch of Hearthstone, but have been on a break lately. I also play Duelyst.

The problem is that a third ccg will break me, financially, spiritually, the whole deal.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ravelle wrote: »
    It seems I still don't know how to play Gwent, followed the tutorial but they rush you through it and suddenly you won the round by passing a turn without teaching you why and how. When the tutorial ended and you were left with a real battle I dumped a bunch of cards on the table, pressed pass and I won?

This is why I completely ignored it in The Witcher, I don't get this at all. it doesn't make sense to me.

You play cards one at a time. When both players pass, whoever has the higher strength total wins the round.

First player to win two rounds wins the match.

At the start of the second round you draw two extra cards. At the start of the third round you draw 1 extra card.

Try to husband your resources to win two rounds. The game is truly as simple as that, everything else is just extra mechanics layered on that.

edited May 2017
    I am unreasonably proud of this:
    because its day 2 of open beta and all the ranks are smashed together, you tend to run into players with huge collections, tons of skill and experience.

only casual queue, but I just beat a guy who was apparently top 10 on the ladder at the end of closed beta:

urwPW6i.jpg

I'm not nearly that good -- rank 10 or 12 last season--and he didnt have an insane deck, but still a pretty amazing result for me.
    metaghost wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »

Yeah, my first game in the Casual Queue was versus someone that apparently had a decently fleshed out John Calveit Spies deck with Rag Naa Roog and Drought. I feel like Rag Naa Roog should probably effect both players, if not Drought as well.

yeah this guy I just beat tried to drought me round 2, and I cleared it instantly with weather hag (the silver mages are SO good). Having that clear might have got me the win.

valiance on
    Nicely done! I went up against a level 15 from the closed beta, and did quite well .. but it certainly isn't as prestigious as your achievement in besting one of the former top 10s.

Just for clarification, does anyone know if stats are recorded for casual matches?

Prisca wrote: »
    Just for clarification, does anyone know if stats are recorded for casual matches?

Nothing in game, as far I can tell.

And while I keep getting blown out by goshdarn Geralt: Igni (also, continuously fuck up my Frangilla Vigo plays), I'm currently on a solid streak with a half-assed Nilfgard Deck. I'm real thankful that Cahir is in the pre-made deck.

Nicely done! I went up against a level 15 from the closed beta, and did quite well .. but it certainly isn't as prestigious as your achievement in besting one of the former top 10s.

I got brutally stomped by someone in the top 500. But I did beat another ranked 15 today, so my top 10 win probably wasnt a total fluke. I think I'm playing well and people are kinda fucking around since its unranked, day 2. I may never beat someone that good again once ranked gets going :biggrin:

I think to record casual stats you need gwenttracker: http://www.gwent-tracker.com/ or gwentup:https://gwentup.com/
    I'm not using either atm but I probably will when I get into ranked.

Wow, so many options. Looks like gwent tracker and gwent up are similar in function.

Rag Nah Roog and Drought seem a bit too strong. Full board coverage, no built in time limit. Those seem a bit too extreme.

I agree. Finally, a card more annoying than Yennefer the Conjurer..
    That being said, most cards should run first light that removes it entirely .. but it's easy to get caught off-guard.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Played to Level 4 today. The grinding to unlock ranked seems like it's going to be a bit much. However after a rough start I'm definitely enjoying the game. I will say though this feels like the worst of pay to win. Maybe I'm spoiled on SHADOWVERSE and the glut of free shit they throw at you.

I will also echo the keyword system needs a LOT of work. I'd like to take this Roaring Shout, but having no idea what a "Bear" is I'm more inclined to just take the more obviously worded card. My number one positive though with the game is the (for now) lack of overabundant RNG. This is basically GWENT from TW3 with it's mix of Poker and some other card game not Hearthstone.

You can also tell the folks who have played the game in TW3: I've seen so many people debuff their cards using Decoy on it. I cry everytime (I actually did that myself because I didn't bother reading what it actually does).

Favorite moment of the day though was being in a losing position, only to have the other guy use SWIPE on my row, knocking the armor off my units and boosting them by 5 each. Gotta read those cards descriptions!

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Had a pretty rough go of it just now playing in "late night" bracket. Seems I've crossed the threshold past which only exists extremely refined decks played by emote-spamming fuckboys that don't even click the GG button — and that's just the low-level "Casual" queue!

Like, I really don't think this whole "ranked is locked behind grinding the casual queue" aspect was well thought out. Forcing folks just acclimating to the game with a small collection to be confronted with merciless hordes hungry for their hot and heavy ranked action is bad for player-acquisition.

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I figured I would just do the challenges to unlock all the leader cards and some money for some new cards.

Then ran into one that is literally impossible for me to win... guess I have to grind out casual games with starter decks.

edited May 2017
    I don't really see how this is very pay to win. Win 3 games/day or 6 half-wins and that's about 1-1.3 packs. Get another 6/12 wins and 0.75-1.5 packs, and if your packs are on the lower end you're either getting scraps/powder/cards instead. And that's not including all the GG resources you can get. After that you start to get diminishing returns and it tops out at 33 games/66 rounds won per day. But it's definitely better than Hearthstone at any rate, which effectively requires you to fully win ~3 games/day (a little more varied now though) for about 0.5 packs, and that's all you really get, aside from the weekly pack from winning a brawl.

Edit: Lol, just had a weather deck Fog (for foglets), Wild Hunt Hound (to Frost on my unit), and I respond with Water Hag for a Clear Skies and he conceded.
    Edit 2: Next game had a King Bran who took too long trying to finish discarding so the game discarded nothing so he conceded as well...

Dracil on
  • MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    Played the beta a while ago and hopped back in tonight. Really liking some of the changes. For the life of me I still can't figure out how to use an elf deck, but that's fine because I'm basically learning again anyway. I've been doing the challenges to unlock commanders, and now that I've got some cards and can build a decent deck out of I'm loving John Calveit as a leader, and Nilfgaard as a whole. I've definitely had some opponents mouse over everything when I send a diplomat and boost one of my knights to 20.

Mortified on GoG if anyone wants to play.

I'm not one for card games usually, but this game is an exception. Probably not gonna get serious enough to do ranked matches, but I'd be happy to hop into some friendly games.