As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CoE] Chronicles of Elyria

MilitaryMisfitMilitaryMisfit Seattle...ishRegistered User regular
I know it's still about a year out, but is anyone else interested in this game? https://chroniclesofelyria.com The whole idea of having a classless system where you're not locked into a specific roll along with your character actually growing old and dying of old age has my attention. I also think it's pretty cool that PCs actually sit in positions of power such as being the King or Queen, the Count or Countess, and Barron or Baroness and effect the lives of not just other PCs but also the NPCs.

If you haven't seen it yet here are some things to check out.
Official Game Site https://chroniclesofelyria.com
Additional Info http://www.akashic-library.com

PSN - FithyMcNasty
X1 - Mothugly

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    The concept seems very interesting and I love the art style, but when I'm investigating a game the primary factor I'm weighing it by tends to be, "How are internet assholes going to ruin this?". For CoE the number of potential openings for fuckery seems extremely high; no matter what type of punishments devs put into games that are supposed to create consequences for random killers and griefers, they always find ways around it. On top of that, the entire economy being run by players always sounds awesome, but can get out of control pretty quickly, especially when gold farmers and such start breaking into the game.

Overall, it looks cool and I'll keep an eye on it to see what happens. Despite my skepticism, I always keep a little room in my crusty ol' heart for the possibility of something great.

• MilitaryMisfitMilitaryMisfit Seattle...ishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    You should take a look at thier development journals, they cover exactly those concerns. Those were also questions I had at first but they were able to ease my mind. In my opinion paying 30 bucks for a life that will last you up to a year depending on how you play is cool. The fact that every time you kill a player you get a little more notorious and as your notoriety goes up so does your chances of not being allowed in cities. And you can be arrested for murder if you get caught witch takes in game years off your life which translates into less game time in real life. So the more people grief, the less actual game time they end up with. Which will cost them more real life money when they pay for thier next life.

As for the economy, there isn't going to be a world wide auction house. If you need something you go to the local store and buy it. That along with no ever increasing gear tiers where one sword will last you your whole life and can be passed on to your children really reduces the chances of the economy getting jacked. I'll find the DJs and link them in here. Since I'm not the best one to explain it.

MilitaryMisfit on
    PSN - FithyMcNasty
    X1 - Mothugly
    Oh yeah. Your character is always in game also. So when you log off, your character will do stuff like run your store selling everything you crafted or even craft minor items along with other stuff. Depends on what scripts you select.

PSN - FithyMcNasty
    X1 - Mothugly
    edited May 2017
    Here's the development journal regarding death.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/348/design-journal-4-incapacitation-spirit-walking-and-permadeath

The cool thing is that it seems as the jail time given to a murderer reduces their spirit or game time more than spirit walking does for the player they killed.

MilitaryMisfit on
    PSN - FithyMcNasty
    X1 - Mothugly
    edited May 2017
    I was aware of most of the systems from reading through their site, except auction houses (because no mention is made where I was reading). I get that they are going to punish people who outright murder others, but my skepticism comes in where those systems tend to leave off.

I'll use Black Desert Online as an example, because it too has a crime and punishment system; if you kill people repeatedly your reputation goes down, and thus bad stuff starts to happen to you. So of course what people would do was not kill you, but find ways to grief you without triggering the system. For example, using ghillie suits to hit people then hiding until the 'hostile' timer wore off, then doing it again. Or they'd go around screwing up those who were AFK fishing (because BDO also generally let you stay on 24/7).

It also occurs to me that when you start punishing people financially because of actions they take in-game, you are treading on very dangerous territory. Sure, it sounds awesome to punish some basement-dwelling PK troll by killing off his character and making him pay for a new one, but that sort of thing can extend to the rest of us, too, who have our characters' lives shortened because some fuckwad figured out a way to screw with his (or her) AI script, leading him into a dangerous area where he was gang-raped by bears.

Not saying they won't figure out a way to keep all this from happening, I'm just voicing the pessimism that I've developed which keeps me from getting too hyped about games that sound too good to be true. I'm absolutely going to keep an eye on this and see how it develops, because it sounds like the type of thing I could really get into if done right.

Toxic Pickle on
    Man, those are some good questions. I'll post over in the forum and see what the developers think.

"It also occurs to me that when you start punishing people financially because of actions they take in-game, you are treading on very dangerous territory. Sure, it sounds awesome to punish some basement-dwelling PK troll by killing off his character and making him pay for a new one, but that sort of thing can extend to the rest of us, too, who have our characters' lives shortened because some fuckwad figured out a way to screw with his (or her) AI script, leading him into a dangerous area where he was gang-raped by bears."

I'm not sure how that could work. To fuck with someones AI they would have to log onto that character and change their settings. Hitting people is considered a crime, a minor crime, but still a crime. Every time they hit you they're committing a crime so their notoriety will go up accordingly.

Leading others into dangerous areas is something you can do in real life so I'm not sure what the complaint is on that. Just consider your actions. Let's say I'm a cartographer and I make up a false map showing the location of a rare material and sell it to you as a real one. If you decide to go out on you own with out doing research or making any preps and you walk into a den of wolves, then yes you deserve to die. If I tell someone that there's a treasure chest 100 yards off the beach in the water and they jump in, in full armor, and sink to the bottom and drown, then they also deserve to drown. Is that what you're talking about?

If you are considering the game look into the kingdom of Vornair. Yes, people are already establishing Kingdoms, duchies, and counties, towns and guilds. If you kickstart or pledge the game you can be a mayor, Count, Duke, or King for your first life if you pledge enough. Of course you can also be voted out of office or killed and replaced so....

But yeah, people are already putting together organizations.

PSN - FithyMcNasty
    X1 - Mothugly
    I forgot one thing. Along the same lines of the lack of world wide auction house, there is no such thing as automatic mail. If you want to send a package to someone you have to contract a player to carry that package to where you want them to. Which I think is pretty awesome.

PSN - FithyMcNasty
    X1 - Mothugly

Leading others into dangerous areas is something you can do in real life so I'm not sure what the complaint is on that. Just consider your actions. Let's say I'm a cartographer and I make up a false map showing the location of a rare material and sell it to you as a real one. If you decide to go out on you own with out doing research or making any preps and you walk into a den of wolves, then yes you deserve to die. If I tell someone that there's a treasure chest 100 yards off the beach in the water and they jump in, in full armor, and sink to the bottom and drown, then they also deserve to drown. Is that what you're talking about?

On this point I was specifically talking about people using exploits to lead my character into dangerous areas when I was not logged in. I can't say for sure how the AI works obviously, but in many games, path-finding for AI can be tricked. So, for example, Joe logs out of his character, setting him to do AI things, and Stanley comes along and tricks that AI into going somewhere it shouldn't, causing it to get killed by some nearby bandits. Stanley didn't kill Joe, so he doesn't get penalized, but he can then loot Joe based on whatever rules apply.

It's obviously a rough example, but it's definitely the sort of thing I've seen people do in other games.