As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2] Path of Fire expansion to be released on Sept 22!

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Condi ranger changed a lot, they added some crazy good stuff for shortbow. Light on your feet skill is amazing, but you lose quickdraw.. Ergh.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    oh god no those Engineer changes wtf D:

*edit* I... am not sure how to feel. Thinking about it, honestly, this might just mean that I have to get used to the timing of Healing Turret again / undo my muscle memory. But man, there WERE times when activation WAS tactical, mostly with Thumper and Rocket. Hrmrrmrmrrm.

*edit* ooh, the reworked Necro elite though. On the one hand, you can't charge into a zerg and roll around like you used to. On the other, I see this elite having A LOT of utility in Raids.

*edit2* Feels like making Plaguelands count as a Well might have been a missed opportunity tho :\a

*edit 3*

story related spoiler.
    The Balthazar’s Regalia Outfit is on sale with a 30% discount for a limited time at 490 gems, found in the Style category of the Gem Store.

RELEGATED TO THE BARGAIN BIN FOR YOUR SINS

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    Phantasmal Berserker: This skill now fires a boomerang projectile that inflicts 3 stacks of vulnerability for 3 seconds in addition to summoning a phantasm.
    Phantasmal Swordsman: This skill now performs a sword strike in front of the player when summoning the phantasm. If the sword strike hits you and all Swordsmen currently summoned, gain 8 might for 10 seconds.
    Phantasmal Warden: This skill now throws an illusionary axe at the target, which immobilizes for 2 seconds in addition to summoning a phantasm.

:O

Phantasms just got more fun

• LeandriellLeandriell Registered User regular
    I got bored so tried to make the guild hall gathering quicker, let me know what y'all think!

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    oh god no those Engineer changes wtf D:

*edit* I... am not sure how to feel. Thinking about it, honestly, this might just mean that I have to get used to the timing of Healing Turret again / undo my muscle memory. But man, there WERE times when activation WAS tactical, mostly with Thumper and Rocket. Hrmrrmrmrrm.

*edit* ooh, the reworked Necro elite though. On the one hand, you can't charge into a zerg and roll around like you used to. On the other, I see this elite having A LOT of utility in Raids.

*edit2* Feels like making Plaguelands count as a Well might have been a missed opportunity tho :\a

*edit 3*

story related spoiler.
    The Balthazar’s Regalia Outfit is on sale with a 30% discount for a limited time at 490 gems, found in the Style category of the Gem Store.

RELEGATED TO THE BARGAIN BIN FOR YOUR SINS

Power Engineer has effectively gotten a QoL/damage boost from the turret change, since now you can keep your Rifle Turret up for extra damage while you are using Surprise shot. Be interesting to see if you might see more of the other turrets now that their skills (especially Thumper's stun break) are available 100% of the time.

It's also a sideways acknowledgement that noone ever kept Healing Turret up for any longer than one it take for Cleansing Burst to fire. I wonder if they'll buff the normal affect (maybe put one of the condi cleanses on it instead of the overcharge?) to entice people to actually keep it up some of the time.

Epidemic change to necro hurts a bit, though the new elite as well as Infusing Terror reducing damage sounds sweet.

Also looks like the tankiness of just about every tank build in PvP was nerfed across the board. Good, it was pretty nuts last time I played spvp how long people lasted against anything that wasn't the perfect counter for them.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    wait you mean I might not having to swap between several bars of skills spamming buttons to engineer?

I mean, I'm only like...32 still, but trying to approximate what skills were used at max level seemed pretty not fun so far, though maybe if I rebound keys it would get somewhat better

It also made me miss the very satisfying autoshot-ish pistol sound effect, it's like a cannon shot

• naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Phantasmal Berserker: This skill now fires a boomerang projectile that inflicts 3 stacks of vulnerability for 3 seconds in addition to summoning a phantasm.
    Phantasmal Swordsman: This skill now performs a sword strike in front of the player when summoning the phantasm. If the sword strike hits you and all Swordsmen currently summoned, gain 8 might for 10 seconds.
    Phantasmal Warden: This skill now throws an illusionary axe at the target, which immobilizes for 2 seconds in addition to summoning a phantasm.

Warden is neat. We can always use more roots, even if it's not long enough for the wardens attack to start.

As for Zerker, the boomerang should probably have been an ally facing might projectile instead. Considering the other buffs they gave, it might have been enough to match warriors might stacking with PS. Terrible damage overall, but maybe it'd open warriors up to a non-PS build?

The swordsman buff is pointless. They probably should've​ checked that tooltip because might on a phantasm does nothing. If it were a flat damage buff ala grace of the land, on the other hand...

naengwen on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote: »

Warden is neat. We can always use more roots, even if it's not long enough for the wardens attack to start.

As for Zerker, the boomerang should probably have been an ally facing might projectile instead. Considering the other buffs they gave, it might have been enough to match warriors might stacking with PS. Terrible damage overall, but maybe it'd open warriors up to a non-PS build?

The swordsman buff is pointless. They probably should've​ checked that tooltip because might on a phantasm does nothing. If it were a flat damage buff ala grace of the land, on the other hand...

On the plus side, it, uh, lets enemy players and some mobs steal might from the phantasm in addition to the mesmer?

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Leandriell wrote: »
    I got bored so tried to make the guild hall gathering quicker, let me know what y'all think!

Can the boxes be placed inside the ground, or replaced with something else like a small stone or a rug? I find the boxes a good visual indicator, but a hindrance to movement.

Also, I like the platform in the sky. Can a target be added underneath the first cloud, to make targeting the Oakheart Rope easier? (Or should I just be targeting the building to the right of the bridge?)

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Basil wrote: »
    PSA: Right clicking to sell stacks of your shit to the trading post is quick, easy, and typically worth many times more than selling to a vendor.

Gosh, that was funny.

I went from 5 gold to 266 gold within the space of like an hour. I guess hoarding crafting mats for years paid off

I totally just did that and made like 300 gold. I figure I don't usually bother with crafting anything so it might as well be cashed in.

I think I might start a ranger from scratch so I can play it as a healer. I've never done much in the way of fractals or raids and figure healers are always needed. It's so hard trying to start playing this again though because you have to sift through a bunch of 3rd party sites to find how to build a non gimp character. Also unlocking traits in HoT can be a pain.

Perrsun wrote: »
    Leandriell wrote: »

Can the boxes be placed inside the ground, or replaced with something else like a small stone or a rug? I find the boxes a good visual indicator, but a hindrance to movement.

Also, I like the platform in the sky. Can a target be added underneath the first cloud, to make targeting the Oakheart Rope easier? (Or should I just be targeting the building to the right of the bridge?)

I've moved the cloud and lengthened the platform, you could step forward to target the edge of it before (hence a cloud not a platform), but it was tight.

You can now target the side of the cloud from where you get the oakheart, run across the platform and straight down the stairs to drop without dying :)

No rugs or other small low-lying items to replace the crates with unfortunately :( And you can't stick stuff inside the ground unless you've got access to the edge if that makes sense.

On an unrelated note... the "Go big or go home" meme has been circulating my office a lot recently... and I decided that you know what.. I'm gonna apply that to guild wars, as I've been somewhat undecided about my next goal in the game....

So Lea's slightly crazy "Go big or go home" legendary plan... aka why Lea might be talking more craziness than usual.

• A while back I made Tigris for the back-hugging kitties, and now I've been playing my condi ranger a lot (mostly for raiding, though that might change with the massive boost to condi ele)... I thought maybe I should make Chuka and Champawat
    • I've been saying how awesome Astralaria is.. and am halfway through the tier 2 precursor collection (SO MUCH wood and metal!)
    • I've been slowly working through the raids with a pug-esque guild, and very close to finishing the tier 1 legendary collection (Xera is terribad to pug), have done the encounters the tier 2 needs (though can't qualify until I've finished tier1), and have provisioner tokens and LI ready for 2 (almost 3) pieces already. I'm hoping to get the first 3 pieces when I've finished the chievos.
    • I've been sitting on howl I had as a drop, waiting for the gen 2 warhorn to drop to see which I preferred, but that might be a while.

So in the spirit of "Go big or go home"... I'm not intending on making any one of the above, until I'm making at least 3 of the above (or the next gen horn/scepter) at the same time. (I'd say all 4, but I'm still not sure about howl!)
    So.. at least 184 Mystic clovers, a crazy amount of materials , some hard raid encounters, some wvwv, and a lot of running around the world... at least I won't be bored between now and the new expansion ;)

So i played pretty much all day today and mostly had no idea what i was doing. I managed to 100% auroc basin as well as get into a map that did the meta event in like 5 minutes. So yay being able to open like 30 chests. Then i just did some world bosses. I didnt really get anything interesting. Not really sure what im even trying to do. I did the living story too. Today was basically aimless wandering.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    This game brings out the worst kind of altitis in me, and I still kind of like it. I think I've leveled like 20 characters to 80 only to delete them and reclaim a name and start all over. Thank god for the occasional shared slot or account unlock.

And now I think I'll do it again in preparation for an eventual expac. I feel like I've exhausted mesmer/necro/engi/ranger. I think it's a tossup between Ele and Guardian, which sound too complicated and too slow respectively when I think about them.

But an Asura guardian with a hilariously large sword does sound entertaining....

Alts are kind of a pain though if you want to get legendary though since don't you need 100% nap completion to get them? I'm only like 80% on tyria stuff on my thief and can't imagine doing it all again on other characters. I must say that I liked how fast I leveled most of my characters during the Halloween labyrinth thing. Doing the regular leveling can get boring.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Alts are kind of a pain though if you want to get legendary though since don't you need 100% nap completion to get them? I'm only like 80% on tyria stuff on my thief and can't imagine doing it all again on other characters. I must say that I liked how fast I leveled most of my characters during the Halloween labyrinth thing. Doing the regular leveling can get boring.

I'm all about that. :D z Z z Z z Z z

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Regular Legendaries take 100% of classic GW2, minus Southsun, Dry Top and Silverwastes, and you get the things for 2 legendaries every time you do it.

HoT ones only require Map completion for the four main HoT maps, which is actually pretty quick once you get all the masteries, since they aren't that much bigger than regular maps and no hearts to grind.

steam_sig.png
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I'm all about that. :D z Z z Z z Z z

I swear, between the e-keyboard and autocorrect on my kindle, some weird stuff gets put out. I'm 2/4 hot maps right now. The last 2 will be hard because no one is ever in them.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Haven't really played since shortly after launch, but looking for a new MMO. Somebody sell me on GW2, how active is the game these days? Any particularly big fundamental changes that have been made since launch (or coming in the future)? I'd be wiping my characters and starting from scratch, what's the new player experience like at this point?

Zek on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Oh, it is most active. Folks bounce around the world doing event bosses and zone events at all hours in large numbers. Traits got revamped into something that I dare say is not awful, there is a button to AOE loot, and Lion's Arch got blown up and looks like a hideous Disney Theme Park knock-off. There is a wardrobe which holds item skins for easy transmogrification, guild halls provide solid bonuses to people who visit them, salvage kits can salvage all loot of selected tiers from their right-click menu and I'm sure that there are lots of other things worth mentioning.

Hm ... Engineers no longer wear stupid looking backpacks while equipping kits, and instead may choose their own stupid looking backpacks to wear if they please. People with the expansion can glide, you'll see lots of that going on. Also, the expansion added a new trait line to each class which alters their gameplay if it is activated, so you'll see Necromancers waving greatswords and Elementalists doing crazy Elementalist things while Mesmers act as haste bots.

I feel that the new player experience is a crime against humanity, and so suggest that you log into whatever characters you have and take their birthday gifts out of the mail. If your characters are old enough, you could have level 40 boosts available for whatever you make fresh. You'll also have loads of dye kits. Dye unlocks, like wardrobe skins, are global now.

I'm bad at this. Light the @Corriganx signal.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm fucking pleased with how active the game still is.

@Basil 's sig + avatar theme is making me openly weep for a certain other mmo that didn't fair quite as well

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/infinite-unbound-magic-gathering-tools-available-today/

Looks like they added new unlimited-use tools, now with a chance of dropping unbound magic.

I thought they had given up on the tool-that-drops-items stuff after people got annoyed at the Watchwork pick and they didn't do any more for the past 2 or so years. Guess I was wrong.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    How many harvests would one have to perform before the savings from replacing gathering tools paid for those magic tools?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/infinite-unbound-magic-gathering-tools-available-today/

Looks like they added new unlimited-use tools, now with a chance of dropping unbound magic.

I thought they had given up on the tool-that-drops-items stuff after people got annoyed at the Watchwork pick and they didn't do any more for the past 2 or so years. Guess I was wrong.

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want those?

Other than having to pay real life money for them, of course.

Is there something that those tools cannot do but "normal" tools can?

• DizzenDizzen Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    How many harvests would one have to perform before the savings from replacing gathering tools paid for those magic tools?

At this point (assuming you are talking about converting gold to gems), a crazy amount. The point of the unlimited tools is less about saving money, and more about the convenience of not having to buy more, and avoiding the risk running out, and not dedicating inventory slots to extras / other tiers of the tools.

Depends. It's a little more complicated because those tools are purchaseable with karma, just in a per-25 capacity. The return will happen a lot more quickly than with watchwork tools though so totes go for it.

• SneakmanSneakman Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    Haven't really played since shortly after launch, but looking for a new MMO. Somebody sell me on GW2, how active is the game these days? Any particularly big fundamental changes that have been made since launch (or coming in the future)? I'd be wiping my characters and starting from scratch, what's the new player experience like at this point?

I just started playing recently and I see a lot of other players leveling. It's been such a pleasant surprise, as I figured that everyone still playing this game would be playing their max level toons. I'm used to playing TERA, where absolutely no one levels a new character outside of a new class release event. It's made GW2 much more fun than I was expecting it to be and has kept me motivated to continue leveling my first character.

Diablo 3 | Sneakman#1625 | S9 Multishot Demon Hunter
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sneakman wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »

I just started playing recently and I see a lot of other players leveling. It's been such a pleasant surprise, as I figured that everyone still playing this game would be playing their max level toons. I'm used to playing TERA, where absolutely no one levels a new character outside of a new class release event. It's made GW2 much more fun than I was expecting it to be and has kept me motivated to continue leveling my first character.

The base game going free to play has resulted in a lot of newer players well after the game launched.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Also the veteran players I talked to (some, at least) seemed to have a bajillion alts.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    edited May 2017
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

Is there any reason why I wouldn't want those?

Other than having to pay real life money for them, of course.

Is there something that those tools cannot do but "normal" tools can?

So, there's kinda 2 ways to answer this: first I'll answer from the perspective of a person emotionally invested in a videogame... second, from the purely logical perspective of somebody dealing only with facts.

Emotional: Aside from the cost, there is no reason to get anything other than these... and that's what kind of annoys me.

With unlimited tools, you are paying real life money for the convenience of not having to ever swap out/use inventory space on stacks of tools. Ok. That's fine. But with these tools, I view it as Anet saying "hey, you bought an unlimited tool a few months ago? Sucker! Buy this one. It's the same tool, but you also get unbound magic! Every pick swing and axe strike you make without one of these is you wasting your time." This is the reason I bought a Watchwork pick even though I already had an unlimited pick; using the watchwork pick was better than using the other one.

I saw somebody post on the GW forums and I had to agree with it: Anet should have made an Unlimited tool, then sold skins and visual effects for it, then sold enrichments. Breaking up the elements would allow people to change the look however they wanted to, or save money and skip the visual effects. It would also allow players to choose a bonus (like watchwork sprockets, unbound magic, snowflakes, etc) without feeling completely screwed out of $12 when a new tool is released.

Logical: Arguements against unlimited tools have been few, and may not even apply to you.
    1. The cost - some people would rather save the money and just use normal tools.
    2. Speed (only apples to some tools). From what I've seen, all of the mining picks and logging axes take the same amount of time to gather resources, no matter how it looks and no matter if it's breakable/unbreakable. The Consortium Harvesting Sickle and Molten Harvesting sickle are slightly faster than any other Harvesting method (including the new unbound magic tools?), due to their "golf swing" animation.
    3. Specific resource Harvesting - at resource generators like in the Guild Hall or WvW, you can get any resource that your currently equipped tool can harvest. This means that if you're using an Orichalcum Logging axe you might get anywhere between Green Wood to Ancient wood from the GH node. If you used a Bronze axe, you'd only ever get Green wood. So, for example, if you REALLY wanted Soft Wood, you'd want to use an Iron Logging Axe, since you'd only ever get Green or Soft wood from the GH nodes. (Emotional note: this seems like more trouble than it's worth, as you could just sell any non-soft wood on the Trading Post and buy soft wood, but that's just me)

If none of those 3 arguements applies to you, then buy away.

Perrsun on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    A long time ago I bought some of the unlimited use tools (I forget which ones, except I know the sprocket pick was one of them), but recently I decided I really wanted the harvesting flutes because they're just too cool. So I'm probably going to pass on the unbound magic tools, but I don't have any hard feelings if someone else wants to get em or that I just bought some others so soon ago.

JtgVX0H.png

And just below that is a blurb about a sword called Menzies's Agony

did nobody say that out loud first

Ranlin wrote: »

And just below that is a blurb about a sword called Menzies's Agony

did nobody say that out loud first

No, because they spent too much time bickering about how the hell you pronounce Menzies :P

Probably just like Menses!

n1woEHJ.png
    That's decidedly less threatening than hitting someone with the power of menstruation agony

• The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular

There is a thread on Reddit breaking that down:

Reddit wrote:
    Reddit wrote:
    If you want to include the savings of not using orichalcum tools anymore, it adds 10.66c per node. So a node would net you 1s 5c more than with orichalcum tools.
    That is 76988 nodes. So you'd recoup the cost about 10% faster.
    Reddit wrote:
    Finally, a quick comparison with the watchwork mining pick : The UM pick rewards 6 UM per ore, so 1s 06c. The watchwork mining pick rewards with 1 sprocket every 3 swings, so about 1 sprocket every node. A sprocket is valued at the moment at 2s 12c, so 1s 80c after TP tax.
    The watchwork mining pick still has the best value.

Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
    edited May 2017
    The reddit thread fails to factor in that the animations for the tools are friggin awesome and I love it.

Now to decide which of my charr to make into a super saiyan and give all the tools to and do nothing but gather nodes all day.

EDIT: screw it, gonna be Sharkey. Expect animated gifs by end of day

EDIT 2:

naengwen on
    Sharkey buys unbreakable harvesting tools, they somehow appear as Legendary. Im onto you sharkey and your legendary transmuting ways.

n1woEHJ.png
    It's time! We're going back to the Golden City for our guild hall!

Next week 4th June, at Noon Pacific, 8PM UK, 7PM Server or 10 minutes before this post (old missions o clock)

What's all this then?
    We're switching guild halls, which means we need to capture the other hall. See here for details: http://dulfy.net/2015/10/23/gw2-guild-hall-claiming-and-upgrade-guide/

Guild halls? What?
    How to Guild Hall

Why the switch?
    Firstly, it's prettier! And who doesn't like golden awesomeness.
    Secondly, here's two sets of guild weapon skins, and you can only get the second set from the other hall. We've been collecting Shimmering Crystals for the Shimmering Weapons, now we need to collect Tenebrous Crystals for the Tenebrous Weapons if we didn't last time

How do I know if I have enough Shimmering Crystals?
    You need 160 to make all the weapons. An additional 66 is still useful, but not necessary, since you can make the armor from either crystal type.

Do I need to do anything while we still have Lost Precipice?
    Mine the guild gathering every day until you have 160 Tenebrous Crystals! You don't need to actually buy anything, just accumulate the materials.

Are there any requirements to partcipate?
    Be level 80, own Heart of Thorns, be in [NICE] on NA servers, have TS (listen only is fine), and show up!

Once it's ours, some of our officers and veteran novices will be on hand to decorate, you can direct us!

(this post shamelessly plagarised from the last guild hall event - thanks @Kylindra )

This discussion has been closed.