As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is it illegal to...

FARNFARN Registered User new member
edited November 2006 in Help / Advice Forum
... wear a tie with a flannel shirt?

"Wipe them out. All of them."
FARN on

• Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    No, but it should be.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You will incur the wrath of the fashion police.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Is it a flannel tie?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    A bolo tie would be acceptable, right?

=P

blincoln on
    Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
    http://www.thelostworlds.net/
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you a lumberjack?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    SuperSweetieSuperSweetie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Honestly, I cant imagine any sort of tie really going with a flannel shirt.

SuperSweetie on
    rat53r.jpg
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Are you a lumberjack?

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay,
    He sleeps all night and he works all day.

He cuts down trees, he eats his lunch,
    He goes to the lava-try.
    On Wednesdays 'e goes shoppin'
    And has buttered scones for tea.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Maybe he wants to wear the tie as a bandanna or a belt... O.o

Not that it makes it any better.. but I've never heard of a dress flannel before. I think my mind is beginning to cave under the mere possible concept of such a think.

It's like wearing everything for a tuxedo except the pants and having bermuda shorts on instead... DOES NOT COMPUTE.

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Well. If it isnt illegal, it SHOULD be! :P

SuperSweetie on
    rat53r.jpg
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    FARN wrote:
    ... wear a tie with a flannel shirt?
    Flannel is a material, not a pattern, so it depends on the shirt. Here, let me give you a simple breakdown:

YES:
    14K01.zoom.3.jpg

NO:
    m41789f.jpg

The vast majority of flannel shirts will fall into the NO category.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The trouble with flannel shirts - moreso the solid-colour ones than the plaid, actually - is that they tend to look like pyjamas. And nobody wears a tie with pyjamas. So, just say no to wearing a tie with a soft, fuzzy flannel shirt.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Yeah, even the solid color one there reminds me of a sweater or something.

Zek on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Note how in that pic of the plaid shirt, the model is wearing a turtleneck.

This is the more "formal" look for a flannel shirt (both solid color and plaid). Wearing a tie with flannel is tacky and ill-advised.

If you are going to wear the flannels, go the turtleneck route, or just buy a damn shirt for your dance/wedding/funeral/job interview/bar mitzvah/court date.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    TroubledTomTroubledTom regular
    edited November 2006
    Hold the tie but stock up on those flannels. 90s retro in 5 years.

TroubledTom on
    Wii friend code: 8704 3489 1049 8917
    Mario Kart DS: 3320 6595 7026 5000
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Makershot wrote:

This is the more "formal" look for a flannel shirt (both solid color and plaid). Wearing a tie with flannel is tacky and ill-advised.

If you are going to wear the flannels, go the turtleneck route, or just buy a damn shirt for your dance/wedding/funeral/job interview/bar mitzvah/court date.

I agree with the above. I have never really liked flannel shirts on men, however, the second picture doesnt look to bad with the turtleneck. I do however see a lot of men wearing flannel shirts, just from a womans point of view, Just a plain flannel shirt doesnt do much for me. Wearing a tie with one, would definately be a turn off for me.

:/ Turtleneck look is kind of sexy though.

SuperSweetie on
    rat53r.jpg
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Makershot wrote:

I agree with the above. I have never really liked flannel shirts on men, however, the second picture doesnt look to bad with the turtleneck. I do however see a lot of men wearing flannel shirts, just from a womans point of view, Just a plain flannel shirt doesnt do much for me. Wearing a tie with one, would definately be a turn off for me.

What if you wore the flannel shirt with the tie and an enourmous beard? Would that work? My beard isn't at mythical proportions yet, but I have lots of ties and maybe one red checkerboard flannel shirt I got for Lumberjack's Day. I think I'd be making a fashion statement.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:

What if you wore the flannel shirt with the tie and an enourmous beard? Would that work? My beard isn't at mythical proportions yet, but I have lots of ties and maybe one red checkerboard flannel shirt I got for Lumberjack's Day. I think I'd be making a fashion statement.

You would indeed be making a statement... you just probably wouldn't like what that statement was saying. lol

EclecticGroove on
  • Options
    Nitsuj82Nitsuj82 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    It's all okay if you ask the whack ass people at J. Crew.

//I wear designer stuff all the time, but some of the styles don't make a lick of sense to me.

Nitsuj82 on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    Nitsuj82.png
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Malkor wrote:
    Makershot wrote:

Then I think that I would be trying to braid your beard to kind of add to the look of things :P lol

Honestly though i have seen a lot of different and a lot of off the wall looks, and almost all of them set some sort of trend, so hey you never know! lol

SuperSweetie on
    rat53r.jpg
  • Options
    crakecrake Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If the tie is a solid colour that picks up the main colour of the pattern, you'll not mortaly offend anyone. It's just a vastly out of date fashion at the moment. I think you're just trying for the "ironic novelty guy" look, so you should be fine. I imagine a confident attitude will help you carry it off.

crake on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    an_alt wrote:
    No, but it should be.
    Best advice in the thread. Man, flannel ranks in right there with hemp as far as "materials not to make a shirt out of".

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    an_alt wrote:
    No, but it should be.
    Best advice in the thread. Man, flannel ranks in right there with hemp as far as "materials not to make a shirt out of".

Don't know where you shop, but i have several hemp shirts that you can't really tell from my normal shirts.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006

NO:
    m41789f.jpg
    These shirts in general should be illegal.

Snork on