As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hot liquids after tooth extraction?

BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
Hello all. Normally this is something I would call my dentist for, but since it's the weekend I thought I'd see if anyone here has knowledge on the subject.

On Wednesday, I had a tooth removed due to some severe damage/decay to it. They told me to avoid hot liquids (soups, coffee, tea, etc) for "a few days" as it could dislodge the clot and cause pain/bleeding. The paper of post-extraction care specifically states 24 hours as well. My question is when is it safe to go back to the wonders of hot liquids? Was 24 hours accurate? Is "a few days" (so through today) literal?

In terms of the tooth itself, it stopped bleeding after a few hours, and there don't seem to be any major problems? Pain is mostly gone, etc.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I was told 3 days, no straws or hot liquids when I had my wisdom teeth out. I'd probably go with that, as I really can't see the point in risking it.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Yeah, definitely not wanting to risk it. Never had my wisdom teeth removed so didn't have a point of comparison there.

camo_sig2.png

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'd wait at least until you can call for confirmation. You'll survive on iced coffee till you can find out from your dentist for sure, and risking dry socket is not worth it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    IANADentist, but my understanding of the hot liquids restriction isn't because of the heat. It's because people tend to sip hot liquids (coffee, soup, etc) which creates a vacuum effect in the mouth, which can dislodge the clot. This is the same reason why straws are restricted.

Doesn't change the advice listed above. Follow the instructions to the letter and err on the side of caution.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    I was told 3 days, no straws or hot liquids when I had my wisdom teeth out. I'd probably go with that, as I really can't see the point in risking it.
    That's about what my dentist told me. I was very doped up after the procedure so my memory is suspect, but I think he said 3 days as well. Honestly though the pain was so bad I didn't want to do anything for 3 days, all I drank was cool water.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Make your hot liquid then let it cool down to room temperature. I subsisted on lukewarm chicken soup for several days after my wisdom teeth were removed and it's the same deal.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    Windburn wrote: »
    IANADentist, but my understanding of the hot liquids restriction isn't because of the heat. It's because people tend to sip hot liquids (coffee, soup, etc) which creates a vacuum effect in the mouth, which can dislodge the clot. This is the same reason why straws are restricted.

Doesn't change the advice listed above. Follow the instructions to the letter and err on the side of caution.

Hot liquids (and spicy food too) can also increase your blood pressure and potentially dislodge something as well.
    So might be a bit of both.

And yeah, better to be mildly inconvenienced for a few days than to risk something far more annoying (and potentially costly).

• GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the reason for no hot liquids has been spoken about by other posters but to reiterate it's kind of two-fold. I've had 4 teeth pulled in the past 3 years (2 wisdom and 2 back molars that were damaged by said wisdom teeth).

One reason to avoid hot liquids is because heat tends to promote blood flow which in this instance can be a bad thing with regards to having things clot properly. It was suggested to have lukewarm liquids which is a definitely good idea by allowing them to cool.

The other stated reason being that hot liquids have a tendency to cause the mouth to create a vacuum which can adversely affect clotting as well as potentially cause issues with stitches depending on how your dentist did them. Wait at least a FULL 24 hours but like others have said, it is not out of the realm to wait 3 days before having any "hot" liquids and try and go the lukewarm route carefully for that timeframe.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
    Called the dentist yesterday and the official declaration is since it has been a week, there should be absolutely no problem with having hot liquids again (with the caveat of course of "stop if it hurts")

Thanks all for the advice!

camo_sig2.png

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Yeah, you can absolutely safely drink/eat whatever you want at this point.

The recommendation you get from the dentist is of course worth following, but they do tend to, for obvious reasons, err on the side of caution, so once you get to their recommended point, go crazy and suck down some boiling hot coffee through a straw (okay, maybe don't).

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    I celebrated with a pot of coffee and big bowl of pretzel sticks.

camo_sig2.png