As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    ffg seems bigger than they are because they make a lot of games and distribute them everywhere but in terms of number of employees they're surprisingly streamlined

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    ffg seems bigger than they are because they make a lot of games and distribute them everywhere but in terms of number of employees they're surprisingly streamlined

Much to the chagrin of those of us trying to buy things at GenCon... :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Finally watched the video, is that the dude who did the voice overs for Shogun?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    There's definitely an issue of cultural appropriation with L5R that I'd kind of allowed myself to ignore. In the late 90's, when I started playing L5R, it wasn't really an issue in the national consciousness, yet. But now, in the Year of Our Lord 2017, is it really okay to pay back in to L5R? We are aware of these issues now and I'm not sure it's okay to ignore them again because of nostalgia.

Mikey CTS on
    // PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    The Jade Throne podcast was sent an L5R card to preview:

G8u0xaSh.jpg

This appears to be one of FFG's favorite cards, especially for multiplayer games.

(snip: pictures of similar cards in other games)

Haven't played most of these games, but it seems like the symmetrical effect should make most of these cards terribad. Interestingly to me, the Netrunner card pictured is the only one that isn't symmetrical; not only is it a pretty bad card as printed, but if it was symmetrical, it might actually be good!

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

G8u0xaSh.jpg

This appears to be one of FFG's favorite cards, especially for multiplayer games.

Haven't played most of these games, but it seems like the symmetrical effect should make most of these cards terribad. Interestingly to me, the Netrunner card pictured is the only one that isn't symmetrical; not only is it a pretty bad card as printed, but if it was symmetrical, it might actually be good!

express delivery would be pretty good if it let you see four corp cards and send one to HQ, yeah

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    There's definitely an issue of cultural appropriation with L5R that I'd kind of allowed myself to ignore. In the late 90's, when I started playing L5R, it wasn't really an issue in the national consciousness, yet. But now, in the Year of Our Lord 2017, is it really okay to pay back in to L5R? We are aware of these issues now and I'm not sure it's okay to ignore them again because of nostalgia.

I think a lot of that is going to depend on what Fantasy Flight changes about the setting. I've seen some games go back and try to fix their cultural appropriation, like Shadowrun, to mixed results. Then there's 7th Sea, again, where John Wick is striving for accuracy in his fantasy. So really, it comes down to what the writers have in mind.

[img]htt.p://i.imgur.com/G8u0xaSh.jpg[/img]

express delivery would be pretty good if it let you see four corp cards and send one to HQ, yeah

It should be noted that it isn't a symmetrical effect. Everyone shows 4 cards, and you decide which one (and only one) gets added to the hand, and the rest get shuffled. So you give yourself something good, you get info from your enemies, and you shuffle their decks after giving them something weak.

Which does raise the question of why the card was changed in Netrunner to be 1 credit instead of free and only affecting the runner. Maybe it was too much of a tempo shift?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

I think a lot of that is going to depend on what Fantasy Flight changes about the setting. I've seen some games go back and try to fix their cultural appropriation, like Shadowrun, to mixed results. Then there's 7th Sea, again, where John Wick is striving for accuracy in his fantasy. So really, it comes down to what the writers have in mind.

[img]htt.p://i.imgur.com/G8u0xaSh.jpg[/img]

It should be noted that it isn't a symmetrical effect. Everyone shows 4 cards, and you decide which one (and only one) gets added to the hand, and the rest get shuffled. So you give yourself something good, you get info from your enemies, and you shuffle their decks after giving them something weak.

Which does raise the question of why the card was changed in Netrunner to be 1 credit instead of free and only affecting the runner. Maybe it was too much of a tempo shift?

*shrug*

who knows, I've given up trying to figure out what lukas and damon were thinking with some of these cards

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'll knock this off it looks like this starts becoming the CF whitewashing thread, but what cultural (mis)appropriation issues does L5R have? Is it the fact that it's pseudo-Japan recreated by non-Japanese, or are there some deeper issues of racism or discrimination that have surrounded the game?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'll knock this off it looks like this starts becoming the CF whitewashing thread, but what cultural (mis)appropriation issues does L5R have? Is it the fact that it's pseudo-Japan recreated by non-Japanese, or are there some deeper issues of racism or discrimination that have surrounded the game?

Mainly that. The fact that it's not just by non-Japanese but by the colonial west is a big factor.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    New preview: Doji Gift Giver.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular

I guess I'd say it's more the fact that it's pseudo-Japan recreated by non-Japanese who didn't know the language or really understand the culture. Like, I personally don't think there's anything inherently wrong with a bunch of white Americans saying "Japan rocks, let's make a fantasy Japan setting!", but I do think that choosing to go down that path means you have to walk carefully at times.

I can't think of any deeper issues of racism in the game's history. For awhile the art was infamously "white people in samurai armor" but that was because the artists either didn't understand what they were supposed to be doing or had never actually drawn Asian people. In any case, that hasn't been an issue for quite a long time.

cckerberos.png
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for the link; I don't think I'd fully read up on Orientalism before, so I can see a bit of the historical context. That being said, I don't really see any issues of cultural misappropriation. I mean, yeah there should be someone on the team who's an expert in the source material and probably a language expert as well, but I don't think you really need to put in your dues to enjoy or create a fantasy-samurai setting. I mean, you can look at some recent Japanese 'period' work and see that they don't always treat the source material with reverence.

Without further context, I take general arguments of cultural appropriation like this with a huge grain of salt: I don't see anything wrong with this:
    5zfff2ulhpsh.jpg
    or this:
    7oigfjg7o40b.jpg

In fact I think without cultural bridges like these to spark the interest you won't get people like me who seek a deeper understanding of the parent culture.

Sorry for getting a little soapboxy like that. I just think that arguments like this, though originating from good intentions, invariably lead to a "stay with your own culture" mentality.

late edit: doh! I should have used Tenra Bansho Zero as my example.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I think the biggest issue is one of yellowface, especially in the art. L5R has a slight advantage that it is a fantasy world and they can handwave away stuff, but you can tell by their talks on racial and gender diversity that it is something they are thinking about from the get-go. And yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if they have freelancers or consultants to help.

New preview, courtesy of the Strange Assembly podcast: Noble Sacrifice.

persona4celestia.jpg
    So this confirms ffg's strategy. Big story article, then previews to carious media outlets, then mechanics preview. If they keep this up we may see a good deal of the cards before GenCon, and news will be trickling out daily.

edited May 2017
    The more I think about it, the more value Noble Sacrifice has.

Especially since you're going to be getting a decent honor swing off it as well, due to a honorable person going out (+1 to you) and a dishonorable one going too (-1 to your opponent).

Also gives everyone a good reason to care about being honorable for your personalities, since it also acts as a shield.

Obviously good with Shameful Display, since it immediately sets it up.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    edited May 2017
    The preview trains have no breaks.

Courtesy of the Home of the Crane Cran, Artisan Academy.

That's one way to get around bidding low for card draw.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more value Noble Sacrifice has.

Especially since you're going to be getting a decent honor swing off it as well, due to a honorable person going out (+1 to you) and a dishonorable one going too (-1 to your opponent).

Also gives everyone a good reason to care about being honorable for your personalities, since it also acts as a shield.

Obviously good with Shameful Display, since it immediately sets it up.

Does the dishonorable character -1 the opponent since it's discarded?

What is this I don't even.
    It should? We technically havn't seen the Dishonored side of the status card yet, but I would be very surprised if it didn't work exactly the same as the Honored side. And one of the text previews said that they did when they leave play...

The honored side reads Forced Interrupt: When this character leaves play - gain 1 Honor.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited May 2017
    This is very similar to how AEG used to preview sets - sending previews to clan fanbase forums to let the community disseminate them. interesting that they're keeping that alive, at least for the core set.

Mikey CTS on
    This is very similar to how AEG used to preview sets - sending previews to clan fanbase forums to let the community disseminate them. interesting that they're keeping that alive, at least for the core set.

They're definitely courting the existing fanbase, which isn't something they've ever had to do before.

L5R might have the strongest fan base of all the brands they've relaunched. Especially since L5R intrinsically such had an interconnected community based on the way they did the clan stuff, so it makes sense to leverage the existing network of people who will hype each other.

New article: Pinnacle of Perfection

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited May 2017
    Honor all the things!

And don't get into a political conflict with the Crane champion.

Athenor on
    Especially if she's rolling in as the Height of Fasion and Honorable. Holy hell.

Granted, that's a LOT of eggs in one basket.

persona4celestia.jpg
    I came to L5R via the D&D 3.0 Oriental Adventures campaign setting, and then later through L5R 4e RPG. Having never played the CCG and not playing one since MtG in High School I was interested but not quite hyped yet. That Crane preview though, seeing how a clan works and what kinds of synergy and themes they're going for... I'm so sold on this game. No shit, I'm looking at GenCon tickets tonight to pick this up early.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    I came to L5R via the D&D 3.0 Oriental Adventures campaign setting, and then later through L5R 4e RPG. Having never played the CCG and not playing one since MtG in High School I was interested but not quite hyped yet. That Crane preview though, seeing how a clan works and what kinds of synergy and themes they're going for... I'm so sold on this game. No shit, I'm looking at GenCon tickets tonight to pick this up early.

Damnit! I must stop hyping this game to people so I can get MY copy!

Crane is 100% my jam, but I've got enough friends buying it that I'll be able to see how much I enjoy playing it before I commit.

Personally I can't wait for the Crab preview. I love the idea of pragmatic soldiers doing a thankless job, staring down evil everyday for not nearly the praise or respect they deserve.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    edited May 2017
    Crab always occupied an awkward place in L5R, design-wise. A defensive military-power in a game that only rewarded for offensive victory. They also tended to have crazy high Force but also be way overcosted because of it. I'm curious to see if AEG can fix them.

Mikey CTS on
    I could see some Night's Watch stuff bleeding over into Crab, where they get bonuses if they successfully defend against all conflicts for a round. Could be a stronghold ability, actually.

I actually wonder if Crab could be next, if just to show a faction that might have a lot of answers to the high-control options that Crane throw around. (The one we've seen so far, Borderlands Defender, straight-up ignores opponent's movement and bowing effects when on the defense.)

persona4celestia.jpg
    I want to play crab because

1) I dig their look

2) I like to play defensively

3) "crab clan" is fun to say

edited May 2017
    Today's preview is the Team Covenant one!

Edit: awww. no new cards, but some ideas behind them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ7ivZTOByQ

Athenor on
    edited May 2017
    Crane stream going on at the Facebook page.

Things that get mentioned in regards to mechanics:

You need to have at least 1 skill in a conflict to be considered the "winner". A 0 won't count. If both sides have 0's at the end of the conflict, nobody wins and everyone goes home bowed. The ring goes back in the pool.

When a deck runs out of cards, you lose 5 honor, shuffle your discard pile and replace the deck.

Conflict cards without influence pips CANNOT be splashed.

Next clan up for the spotlight: Lion.

New Lion keyword: Pride. When that personality wins a conflict, honor it. If that character *loses* a conflict, dishonor it.

RQcx7j4.png

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Also if a duel ends in a tie, it is considered neither won nor lost for both participants.

hmm, that's an interesting deck-out mechanic

hmm, that's an interesting deck-out mechanic

Yeah. Not crippling, unless the enemy is targeting for it. I love the flavor: "You have wasted your resources! Take a penalty!"

I need this game inside me.

edited May 2017
    Fuck.

I was 1-2 seconds late in clicking the submit my wishlist button, and ended up 3,309 in line.

The Thursday and Friday L5R tourneys sold out before my list was processed, as did the Arkham Horror LCG event I wanted.

Edit: Apparently the Friday tourney was sold out in the first 1000 submissions, the Thursday inagural in the first 2800 or so.

Athenor on