As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nerf Maverick dimensions; Also, cases. Now with cutting!

ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So it's a bit of a long story, but I want to get a buddy of mine a pair of Nerf Mavericks in a fancy stainless steel/aluminum case. I already have the Mavericks on the way, but I'm having some trouble with the case. One thing that would be helpful is the dimensions of the gun itself. Does anyone have one and would be willing to measure it for me maybe? I'd need length, height, and width of the revolving chamber.

Along with that, I'm having a tough time finding a decent enough case. Gun cases seem like they'd be too small inside to fit the width of the gun, but briefcases or tool cases either look retarded inside or would need too much modification. I'm planning on getting that foam that you cut to size that you put in camera cases or whatever, but I need a good looking case to put it in. Locks would be preferable. Any suggestions?

Zifnab on

• Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have a Maverick sitting right here... but no ruler. A standard 8.5x11" sheet of paper, however, estimates that the Mav is 12" long, 7-8" high, and 3" wide at the barrel. If you wanted to be able to lay out two of them in a case, it would need to be at least 16" by 11" by 4".

I think your best bet will be something like this. Really, any 17" aluminum laptop case should be about the right size, assuming it isn't a slimline model, and it would be pretty easy to just strip out the internal organizers and dividers so you could put down your foam.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    could you position them like shoes? like L7? to save space?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, the dimensions I quoted already involve positioning them that way. You need to have a bit of space between them for the foam, just so they're not knocking against each other. I did leave a bit of leeway in the specs, you could probably shave an inch or so off the length and height dimensions, but it's always better to have too much space than too little.

Here, I even took a picture of the layout, showing the margins I used. Those are 8.5x11" sheets of paper, laid beside each other in portrait orientation. Again, it would be possible to snug things up some, but you don't want anything to be actually touching or you'll get into scuffed plastic territory.
    mav1.jpg

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wow, thanks a lot. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. They're bigger than I expected, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem at all. I was already planning to lay them out like you're showing there, so this should work out fine for me. The picture helps a lot, too. Thanks!

Edit: WTF, who the fuck is going to pay $700 for a laptop case? That's half of what I paid for my laptop itself..

Zifnab on
  • Options
    blanknogoblanknogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm not sure if it would fit but have you ever seen those briefcases of poker chips you can buy at Costco or Walmart? Those are pretty cheap and you get some poker chips on the side.

Also, any chance you could post pics when you get it done? It sounds like a really awesome gift.

blanknogo on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought this was going to be a weird physics thread. :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I thought this was going to be a weird physics thread. :P
    Hey guys, I'd like to mod my Maverick to fire through time.....any ideas?

Anyhow, I'm going to go out looking for cases tomorrow, see if I can find anything. I'll check out the poker chip cases--that sounds like a pretty good idea, if it looks right. Now I just need to find a place to get the foam from and figure out how to form it. www.foambymail.com has decent pricing on the charcoal foam, but I feel odd having packaging foam shipped to my house. Do they pack the foam in foam to protect it during transit?

As for the cutting, I'm thinking of making the inside out of 1" thick layers and cutting holes in each layer to fit the parts of the gun that're going to sit in there. If I can find an old electric carving knife, I've heard those work fairly well. Anyone have any ideas on this front?

Zifnab on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was hoping a Nerf Maverick dimension was some theoretical physics idea on demensions. :P

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    On further searching, I think I'm going to go with this case, the Vanguard VGP-13. It's about in the price range I expected, it's the right size, and it comes pre-filled with eggcrate top and diced foam interior. Admittedly, it's not shiny aluminum, but I think it's still going to look pretty damn slick. This is gonna be awesome. Photos to come once this all gets put together, don't worry.

Zifnab on