As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foreign Policy in the Age of Trump

19495969798100»

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I must find out who that reporter who asked the question is because I could swear he has an Irish accent.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Mr. Fusion wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »
    <snip>
    I fucking quit.

So this is the completely unsecured cellphone he tweets from I assume?

Who cares?

Personally I like this "Move fast and break things" approach to government. Shit might actually get done.

... and by "things," you mean, "the United States of America"? Cuz....???

hippofant on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Who cares?

Personally I like this "Move fast and break things" approach to government. Shit might actually get done.

I see you really thought hard about what the President of the United States speaking to foreign leaders on a completely unsecured line of communication means here.

The rest of your post doesn't even make sense. This is neither moving fast no breaking things, nor does either of those accomplish anything. It's just bad information security by a moron.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I must find out who that reporter who asked the question is because I could swear he has an Irish accent.

It was Dave Clark of Agence France. Quick glance at his Twitter bio indicates Newcastle, not Ireland.

https://twitter.com/DaveClark_AFP

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I can't believe they don't have some better boilerplate for that

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I kinda feel for that guy.

His options are:
    1) Be honest, which is that we don't give a shit about human rights or democracy in Saudi Arabia. This is bad for relations with the Muslim world. At least with the citizens.
    2) Be honest, alternate version, which is that the President is a clueless moron who doesn't give a shit about democracy anywhere, much less in Saudi Arabia. This gets him fired.
    3) Dodge the question.
    4) Bullshit.

To me, the thought process looks like 15 seconds of trying to think of plausible bullshit, failing, and then moving on to dodging the question.

• Options
    I don't feel sorry for anybody who voluntarily works for Trump.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Dude's a career diplomat

I dunno, I don't particularly feel that not having a State Department at all would be a net plus for us. It's not like he's signed up for this like Sean fucking Spicer

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    can you imagine the chaos if, everytime presidency changed parties, almost everyone in government quit?
    Yeah, i'm not going to fault career officials sticking to their jobs if/when a moron gets elected.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Who cares?

As far as the intelligence agencies are concerned an off the shelf cell phone might as well be a speaker phone. At least for a target as juicy as POTUS.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    KetBra wrote: »
    Dude's a career diplomat

I dunno, I don't particularly feel that not having a State Department at all would be a nut plus for us. It's not like he's signed up for this like Sean fucking Spicer

Ah, so he's not there voluntarily. Okay now I feel sorry for him.

Voluntarily is probably the wrong way to phrase it. Really what I mean is I don't feel sorry for anyone struggling with their job right now who was appointed to that job by Trump. It was impossible not to know what sort of an idiot they were going to be working for.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    the bizarre thing about it isn't that didn't provide a satisfactory answer, because no satisfactory answer is possible (other than 'we think our strategic relationship is more important than human rights')

the bizarre thing is that he's so unready to answer; like how is this not at the top of your list of anticipated questions?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Dude is mostly a Middle East FSO. Former Ambassador to Iraq and Jordan, Deputy Chief of Mission in Cairo, worked at the Turkish Embassy before that. Now Acting Assistant Secretary of State for the Near East.

The lack of prepared bullshit is weird though, I'll agree with that.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I assumed that the answer to that question is part of the State department's induction pack.

"This is your desk, the bathrooms are down the hall, and here is a canned response relating to the seemingly arbitrary nature of our Middle East alliances."

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    To be fair, he probably doesn't know what our Middle East policy will be tomorrow

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Who cares?

When you break your car it doesn't suddenly start moving faster

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    It's possible that breaking all the rules and bypassing all the safety measures could actually result in real work getting done--and indeed this is somewhat similar to actual backchannel diplomacy, where you get the Pope to talk to the Cubans and suddenly there's a window there.

But obviously that's a risky strategy only maybe worth pursuing if you have somebody incredibly competent at the wheel, somebody who can ignore the safety railings and still Tokyo drift his way through the corners without breaking a sweat. If you'll allow me to switch metaphors here, Trump can't help but throw gutterballs even when the bumpers are on somehow, you wouldn't think it possible but he finds a way. For the love of the God don't take them off so he can strike out faster and in everybody else's lane too. And then maybe reflect on the dangers of precedent when it comes to letting even competent people toss the rules. Even for them, there's little so desperately necessary to be done that it's worth maybe doing it wrong.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I really wish you'd had stuck with the Tokyo drift analogy for a little bit longer, I was feeling it.

Also, aren't conversations that happen on proper back channels still officially required to be logged somewhere? The primary advantage being that you don't have to go through a whole series of middle rank politicians to get your message across, not necessarily that you can say stuff without being held accountable?

Taerak on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    695619699_AK25t-2100x20000.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.