As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fighting] TEKKEN 7 HERE (new thread time)

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I fell in love with Tekken back in the Tekken 4/Tag Tournament days

the music is amazing

TTT2 char select and T6 electric fountain memories.

Also Fontana de Trevi.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Any tips for someone who'd like to Lee better?

Man, remembering who I used to play the most as (Eddy, Lee, Hworang) is just reminding me that I like my graceless offense mash spam to a self-crippling degree. Maybe I should branch out and git gud at Asuka or Xiaoyu...

With Lee you're gonna mainly be fishing for CH and sniffing out opportunities to launch and take them to the wall. use b+4 to check their approach, use 2,2 or 3 or d+4 to poke and start offense. CH confirm 2,2 into 2,2>3. Confirm 3 into 3>3. D+4 confirms into ws 3,4. He doesnt have a great whiff punisher so you don't want to play wait and bait, you want to get into their rhythm and check their advances before going in and starting your offense. B+4 can go into hitman stance so you can even throw them out semi liberally and get big counterhits on whiff punish attempts. Once you're inside you can pester with 1,2 and df+1, which lead to big mixups on hit and if youre feeling ham, high risk high reward reads on block. CH 4 for slow retaliations leads to full combo, d+2 crushes highs and some mids, hopkick crushes lows.

Real real simple gameplan, but enough to get you on the right foot

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh, I also forgot that I loved the boxer due and how he didn't have any kicks and instead had sways.

Thought he was a really cool character.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I don't know if I want to Tekken. i'm scared to Tekken.

Actually, I've just been off fighting games for a while and on the puzzle game grind. But Knob's enthusiasm for Tekken makes me want to Tekken.

Puyo puyo tetris is a fighting game.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »
    I don't know if I want to Tekken. i'm scared to Tekken.

Actually, I've just been off fighting games for a while and on the puzzle game grind. But Knob's enthusiasm for Tekken makes me want to Tekken.

Puyo puyo tetris is a fighting game.

I mean, I consider it to be, but not everyone does.

Fight me with blobs and blocks.

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    You got it on ps4? Lets fight some swap battles.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    I have it on Switch, but I'm probably going to grab the PS4 version too.

Also:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb04u-UEi_0

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I just remembered Tekken Zaibatsu was a thing.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Ed's v-trigger looks totally insane. Aegis reflector on crack

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I played Tekken since the first on an imported PS1. At first I wasn't a big fan of it (I prefered Toshindan) But when a local arcade got a Tekken 2 machine I fell in love. I skipped out on the PS2 so I never played T4 or T5/DR but T6 on the 360 brought me back.

I'm just hoping I'm not too old now.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Tekken is one of those games where I appreciate its complexity and like watching people play it but will never in a million years play myself.

It's just Too Much for my tiny baby fight game brain.

I actually want to talk about this, specifically.

Much ado is made about Tekken's complexity, like it's some giant insurmountable wall of mechanics and Korean wavedashes and frame traps.

While Tekken has one of the highest skill floor in fighting games. After you get ON that floor, the game is fairly mechanically easy.

And even that basic floor isn't as daunting as you would think. Like, here is a basic breakdown of what you need.

1. Knowledge of Movement and Spacing.

This is legit the most important thing to learn, and fir some, also the hardest. But when you get comfortable with basic Tekken movement and spacing, you have the foundation to literally pick up every character in the game and understand what they want to do.

The object of Tekken is simple. Juggle them. You want to launch/land a big counterhit, that leads into a combo for guaranteed damage. That damage range is damn near universal on infinite stages.

Everything else, I mean EVERYTHING, ypu do, is to try and make this happen. If you boot up a Tekken match, any high level one, take your pick, all of that complex looking dashing and sidestepping and the characters looking like they are going into seizures? Lip service. Literal posturing. Each character has a set list of things they can do from neutral.

Jab you(to catch agressive movement)

Punish you.(If you take a risk and mss/are blocked)

Take a risk for big damage/on block setups.

The moves and amount of moves, how safe they are, and where they will hit varies. But that's it. It's staggeringly simple. Once you hit a basic execution threshold, knowledge becomes the primary way you improve, which brings me to my next point.

2. Knowledge of your Character.

This is actually far less important than you might think. It's still extremely important, but, universally, in most fighting games this is the most important thing. Doing your moves and optimal damage and such. Not so in Tekken. Every character has some fairly universal mechanics.

They can launch.

They can punish.

This is why the skill floor in Tekken is higher than other games. What matters isn't what your opponent does, so much as how YOU react to it. The ability to punish mistakes is universal, easy to see, and easy to do.

It's what comes AFTER this, is where the complexity lies, and knowledge of your character comes into play. What's safe in block, what's + or -, how can you take advantage of frame advantage, what pokes/sidestep catches you have, what shenanigans are at your disposal and so on.

Lastly

3. Knowledge of your Opponents character.

Once you've established 1 and most of two, 3 is the final frontier. Knowing what your opponent can do in neutral and on Oki are fundamental, and is the one thing that will improve your game the most once you have a basic understanding and comfort with whatever character you have chosen.

Like anything, it takes time, and you'll be on 1 for far longer than you would any other fighting game. But once that's established you're g2g.

• Options
    I played Tekken since the first on an imported PS1. At first I wasn't a big fan of it (I prefered Toshindan) But when a local arcade got a Tekken 2 machine I fell in love. I skipped out on the PS2 so I never played T4 or T5/DR but T6 on the 360 brought me back.

I'm just hoping I'm not too old now.

I drove myself to the mall with my fancy brand new driver's license to pick up the original tekken for ps1. If I can still hang, you can still hang.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So I heard in T7 throws are even easier to break?

Like generic throws can be broken with either press but command throws still require the correct command?

• Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    Haven't played a tekken since 3. Is that kung fu cop with stances still in the game, and if so what does he want to do? I have a weakness for stance characters.

After him the only characters I actually remember are Paul, Hworang and the Mishimas.

• Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    T7 is unlocked on Steam, but there's the Day One patch to Download. and it's takeing it's sweet time to unpack.

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Was Virtua Fighter good

• Options
    bleh. Midnight eastern unlock for PS4. oh well

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Was Virtua Fighter good

Mechanically, it's probably my favorite fighter. Had incredible netcode back in the day, too.

Aesthetically, it's shit.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    It's taking longer to fuckin' unpack the preload and patch than if I had just fuckin' downloaded it on release, jesus christ.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Generic throws can be broken with 1 or 2, 1+2 throws still need a 1+2 break, command throws need the proper 1, 2, or 1+2 break

Lei Wulong, the crazy Jackie Chan kung fu cop is not currently in T7

Virtua Fighter is actually the best 3d fighter, but its ugly, complex, has little humor or charm, and is hard to watch.

• Options
    Early 2018

89c56faac7.png

acpRlGW.jpg
  • Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    If your internet is fast, uninstall tekken 7 in steam, then delete the files in the depotcache of your steam folder that starts with 389731, then redownload it.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Euphemon wrote: »
    It's taking longer to fuckin' unpack the preload and patch than if I had just fuckin' downloaded it on release, jesus christ.

Yeah, I've completely stopped doing preloads on Steam because the unpacking takes so long.

It might be faster with an SSD and a really strong CPU.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    With my Internet, it's probably faster to just redownload than have Steam decrypt the damn thing.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    I just got FTTH with a new ISP (more speed for less money, what a fucking feeling) so yeah, it's <10 minutes to dl and 45 to unpack, fuck that.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    If your internet is fast, uninstall tekken 7 in steam, then delete the files in the depotcache of your steam folder that starts with 389731, then redownload it.
    @Zxerol

It takes a while to pre-allocate the files though, but on the other hand, it doesn't take like 45+.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    45 minute unpack? feh. I survived the Great Unpackening of 2004 when Half Life 2 launched. Hours. Hours.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i approve of tekken 7 customization options
    uOKKdXs.png

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    @Zxerol

It takes a while to pre-allocate the files though, but on the other hand, it doesn't take like 45+.

Right? I get about 38 MB/sec down from Steam and I sure as heck am not confident its decryption throughput is anywhere near that high on my machine.

Should've left it on so it could do its thing while I'm at work. Whatevs tho.

• Options
    Yeah, turns out, people weren't lying when they said hitbox is pretty good for tekken.

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing and what all these moves are, but I can korean backdash and wavedash and ewgf.

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
  • Options
    Yeah, turns out, people weren't lying when they said hitbox is pretty good for tekken.

I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing and what all these moves are, but I can korean backdash and wavedash and ewgf.

IMO hitbox is broken for tekken because of the eliminated need to do neutral inputs. I can't do stick EWGF to save my life on Kaz, but I tried it on a friends hitbox in T6 and I was 10/10 on demand. Shit is OP.

• Options
    Yeah from pretty much all accounts hitbox is actually broken for tekken, it's """merely""" pretty good for other fighting games. It's not just the ewgf, it's the movement, like korean backdash or wavedash or quick sidesteps

iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    Is it live on PC? It's still showing me the pre-load button and saying it's not out yet

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    Yeah, it went live at 6:00PM EST

• Options
    Hmm. May just want to clear local files and re download.

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Argh, I forgot how a move list of a single character in a 3D fighter is as long as the move lists of the entire cast of a 2D fighter.

I'm not even sure where to begin.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Argh, I forgot how a move list of a single character in a 3D fighter is as long as the move lists of the entire cast of a 2D fighter.

I'm not even sure where to begin.

http://www.avoidingthepuddle.com/news/2016/3/24/nobis-beginner-guide-videos-for-tekken-7.html
    +sample combos at the end? I've got nothing.

That gives *combos* but doesn't really say anything about mechanics or universal move types and why you'd wanna do em.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also...3D fighting game move lists can be deceptive in their length.

Some moves are just moves that link into one another. Natural combos and such.

Also, some buttons tend to do similar things across multiple characters.

• Options
    ok... slow motion whiffs.... are hilarious

https://clips.twitch.tv/SavoryObeseKleeBabyRage