As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Remember that ridiculous archon toilet during an IGM game that gave a basically lost game back to the protoss?
    It was on new lost temple I think.

I can't remember the players, maybe axslav as toss?
    I definitely remember one of the casters being HD because goodness he was irritating.

Then another memorable moment was Idra vs that Korean from Boxer's team....I can't remember his name. Short skinny guy (that narrows it down...). T v Z. Idra was losing but then the terran accidentally blew up his own CC and Idra was definitely back in the game, and then he just quit.... leaving the entire arena speechless.

That was casted by Day9 and DJWheat if I recall and they were speechless...

@MMMig that was MMA

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I watched Ryung stream some and saw a new tvt build and a unique tvz, also saw GSL was on and got excited but it's just group selections

which I sometimes watch but it's not what I was hoping for

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So watching SC1 ASL matches, I really wish I understood SC2 better, so I could understand whats going on in the matches. Are there some solid "new to SC2" streams?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    So watching SC1 ASL matches, I really wish I understood SC2 better, so I could understand whats going on in the matches. Are there some solid "new to SC2" streams?

a few of the larger streamers do "learning" segments where they try and talk through exactly what they are doing any why. however i don't know of any that will be very beginning learning the ropes. you may be able to pick things up though. how new are you talking?

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

a few of the larger streamers do "learning" segments where they try and talk through exactly what they are doing any why. however i don't know of any that will be very beginning learning the ropes. you may be able to pick things up though. how new are you talking?

I played a lot of SC1 back in highschool... Mostly I'm having a hard time keeping track of all the new/different units.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Play a handful of games and you'll be fine.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Not only am I going to buy it, that announcer pack is WAY overdue.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I just came to post that. beyond hyped! I haven't bought or even really considered any of the new stuff like that that they've added but I absolutely need this.

edited May 2017
    i just played a game against a diamond protoss who did double gas steal into proxy oracle.

he got 27 worker kills with his first two oracles and was still never ahead on workers at any point in the game

Dhalphir on
    it also just occurred to me that i haven't made an adept yet

I keep playing PvT as if it's Heart of the Swarm.

Who is up for Curvy Star League 2017?

I mean, Vari is going to win, but it will be fun for the rest of us to beat on each other!

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I'd reinstall just to participate.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I haven't played in years but I can be the punching bag you need

I don't even know what all the units are anymore

I'm not very good ya know. barely staying in diamond.

granted I know almost no one else plays at all so I have an advantage I just don't want anyone thinking I'm good. I'm so much worse than I used to be :(

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    The last time I tried to get back into decent playing shape, Vari beat me like a drum for days; I think I didn't win a single game against him

Sure, I could go for that again

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited May 2017
    there seems to be enough interest, I'll make a signup

Cast your vote for single elimination, double elimination, or round robin.

We did round robin for the last one way back in 2013, worked well as it means everybody plays the same number of games and everybody plays everybody else.

Dhalphir on
    it also makes it easier schedule-wise most likely since we can give a couple of days for each matchup or for all the matchups rather than each one feeding directly into the next

Variable wrote: »
    it also makes it easier schedule-wise most likely since we can give a couple of days for each matchup or for all the matchups rather than each one feeding directly into the next

well these days with legacy of the void games don't really take that long

last time we did a tournament was HotS where every game was going to be 5mins just to get build orders going, nowadays 8-9 mins is a decent midgame match

edited June 2017
    http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/BXmXys6wuW
    Penny Arcade Curvy Star League 2017!

June 17th @ 8pm EST (the tournament is listed in my timezone, AWST)

Format, Round Robin, best of 3 unless we get like, fifty signups because then it will be too many games.

At start of each match take the entire ladder map pool. Opponents alternate map vetoes, coinflip determines first veto.

Aside from that the whole thing is super simple, we're doing round robin so that everybody gets to play the same number of games and receive the same amount of fun regardless of league or recent experience playing.

We'll use the Penny Arcade ingame chat channel to organise things.

@Variable @Yilias @3clipse @Kambing @MMMig @kedinik @WingedWeasel @SorC @Sceptre @tugga @theSquid @Keamien

and anyone else who you guys know is still around on the Internet even if they haven't played since Wings of Liberty, who cares, neither have the rest of us!

Dhalphir on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like I gotta buy LotV <_<

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I'm in!
    Are proxy hatches still a thing?
    I Haven't played in years.

(I asked those in the wrong order)

@PantsB @narwhal
    ?

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    edited June 2017
    Here is a nice example of how utterly unable to evaluate game state some people are.

I'm playing a PvP, and we're both going mass phoenix.

This guy stays in the game for about 10 more minutes after this image was taken.

He should have left at this point. There is no catching up in phoenixes, and there is no tech switch that will save you once you've invested this heavily already.

d5nUpPz.png

Dhalphir on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I consistently play silver level, so I'm not sure what will happen hear except inglorious failure...

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Yeah why not?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    I consistently play silver level, so I'm not sure what will happen hear except inglorious failure...

You won't be the only one signing up at that skill level, and the round robin format means you don't have to worry about getting unlucky and matched up with somebody beyond your level in the first round and only getting to play one game. Everybody in the tournament will get to play everybody else in the tournament once, so it'll be a nice mix of games.

are we gonna do a playoff for the top few? you can even bump first place ahead a round or make them a finalist or whatever a la SSL or ASL this season (I can't remember all the names, I'm getting old)

Variable wrote: »
    are we gonna do a playoff for the top few? you can even bump first place ahead a round or make them a finalist or whatever a la SSL or ASL this season (I can't remember all the names, I'm getting old)

I'll set up a separate single elim bracket for a different day for the top four or top eight depending on how many signups we get total, and we can have someone stream that or something like that.

edited June 2017

Format, Round Robin, best of 3 unless we get like, fifty signups because then it will be too many games.

At start of each match take the entire ladder map pool. Opponents alternate map vetoes, coinflip determines first veto.

Aside from that the whole thing is super simple, we're doing round robin so that everybody gets to play the same number of games and receive the same amount of fun regardless of league or recent experience playing.

and anyone else who you guys know is still around on the Internet even if they haven't played since Wings of Liberty, who cares, neither have the rest of us!

I signed in and signed up

My challonge credentials have been unused for so long! The password was something I haven't typed in, I don't know, 4 years?

kedinik on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I have changed my name in challonge to match my battle.net name btw

• SorCSorC Registered User regular
    I've signed up. Haven't played in over a year and will need to reinstall. This ought to be interesting :twisted:

11776-1.png
    I think we'll probably need to make it Bo1 for each round otherwise we'll be there all day with seven rounds already.

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

June 17th @ 8pm EST (the tournament is listed in my timezone, AWST)

@Variable @Yilias @3clipse @Kambing @MMMig @kedinik @WingedWeasel @SorC @Sceptre @tugga @theSquid @Keamien

Going to try and partake, but I probably won't know until like the night before. Does challonge have an expiration date for sign ups? Never used it before

Also @CareerKnight and I play coop a lot, not sure if he plays ladder

No expiration date or anything.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I signed up. I'm going to practice and practice until I have the smoothest, most streamline cannon rush opening down perfect.

And then in the tournament, I will forget all that and play Zerg. :rotate:

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I am registered. Will see if I can get Euphemon and some other people I know in.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    We are definitely going to play Bo1.

edited June 2017
    Who has 2 thumbs and just placed into Diamond 2

2 zerg 2 macro

2ale of the 2urious

kedinik on
    edited June 2017
    0emznfemzt5a.jpg

You can see where I got a little overconfident and slipped behind in macro

You can also see where I passed him in upgrades and then chain-fungaled basically the whole army

kedinik on