As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I now has a donkey, i named it Shadowfax.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Well, boats suck. Can run faster. :(

This one better go to Lema Island!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    I now has a donkey, i named it Shadowfaux.

My "starter horse."

• Options
    Geezus stupid ass node system argh.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine how people learn this game on their own. I started playing at NA launch, and thankfully the PA guild was super-active back then, with lots of people who had figured certain things out and could clarify systems which didn't make any damned sense.

It's a deep and complex game that doesn't explain itself well at all. There is so much there, if you can ever possibly find it.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Youtube tutorial videos were a life saver. Though somewhat to the game's credit for each new system you encountered a tutorial entry would be added to the in game guide (an actually handy video tutorial no less), but you had to go in to the menus yourself and check it out and the game IIRC didn't exactly do a good job of letting players know it was there. At least back when I was new it didn't.

One handy tip I can offer if anyone decides to do that conversation mingame; go on to the wiki, search for that NPC and there will more than likely be a conversation guide with the optimal results. Saves you a ton of trial and error if you're going for something specific.

When you enter the PvP game don't fret. At least in my experience I was rarely attacked by another player randomly. 'Randomly' in this case means anywhere that isn't a popular farming spot. If you decide to operate in a popular farming spot what I typically experienced was that people would send me a random party invite. If I didn't accept then I'd be free game (since you're all competing for the same resources). Granted, popular farming spots attract people which in turn attracts PKs (the other reason people form random groups, apart from resource competition). So keep those things in mind.

If you are really new keep in mind that nearly everything is shared between all your alts. Your home, storage, nodes, workers, even your Energy cap (BUT NOT YOUR CURRENT ENERGY USAGE). This means the game is super Alt friendly and I'd even recommend it as your Alts will all have the same Energy cap, but use and regen energy independently of each other. At the very least using your Alts as batteries to quickly level up nodes is nice. :)

Talk to EVERYONE! If there is a ? on your map, short that shit out. The more people you talk to, the more Knowledge you gain, the more your Energy Cap increase!

Also, don't try to capture and tame baby elephants while Mama is still around. Bad Day LA. :razz:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, boats suck. Can run faster. :(

This one better go to Lema Island!

Long boat rides definitely get you to the location faster than if you walked(or swam). Player made ones are a little more speedy if only because you can direct where the heading is, although the bigger boats are of similar speed but are meant for cargo.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I have stabled my donkey, it is barely faster than walking, and steers like a riverbarge (and keeps getting attacked).

edit-
    I need to get a pet, there are so many enemies i have no time to loot between fighting.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    Donkey Slow, But Stronk. Doesn't slow down under weight as easily as a normal horse.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    And now i got a horse, after half a dozen ropes, lots of swearing, and one quick google search.
    Got lucky and found a tier 3 horsey on first go :D

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    And now i got a horse, after galf a dozen ropes, lots of swearing, and one quick google search.

That's actually pretty nice for a first horse.

I feel your pain on trying to tame for the first time. Took me a long time to figure it out. Now though? I love taming and breeding horses.

• Options
    And now i got a horse, after galf a dozen ropes, lots of swearing, and one quick google search.

I don't even know if it was possible to get a Tier 3 back when I was playing the game. Maybe just super rare, but all I ever got was Tier 1 horsies. I built those into a small empire though, and have lots of tier 5s and 6s nowadays.

I really wish I could get back into this game again. I've tried a few times, but I keep falling back out of it because there is so much to try and re-learn, and I also just don't have lots of uninterrupted play-time to dedicate to this sort of thing. I really liked the new Knight class too, at least what I played of it, but ugh so much to do to get back in the swing.

• Options
    Went back from Heidel to Velie (to meet and greet people i had not yet met, and pick my stuff from storage).
    and now i've spent a day there trying to do crafting tutorial quests.
    Wonder why they were not available when i went through there the first time?

Note to self: do not carry a million silver pieces in your purse, those things have weight.

• Options
    Went back from Heidel to Velie (to meet and greet people i had not yet met, and pick my stuff from storage).
    and now i've spent a day there trying to do crafting tutorial quests.
    Wonder why they were not available when i went through there the first time?

Note to self: do not carry a million silver pieces in your purse, those things have weight.

Hah! Yeah they do. This is why you can exchange silver for gold ingots at banks. You have to pay an exchange fee, but it ain't much. Put it like this, if you need to exchange silver for gold ingot you can probably more than afford the exchange fee. :razz:

• Options
    I'm fairly impressed by how smooth this game runs.
    Sure my settings are not highest possible, but considering how good it looks, i am impressed how smooth it runs, especially considering i run it on windowed more for alt tabbing.
    I am somewhat less impressed by the UI (somewhat messy), and the auto travel pathfinding (stupid and crazy), but most mmo's don't have any autotravel (except in straight lines), and the UI has ton of stuff it needs to handle, so i can take it.

• Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    So I just picked this up the other day, and I got a Kunoichi on the NA server. How should I go about getting a guild invite? Or is the guild still around for that matter? If it isn't my name is Punctuation and my family name is Tornelco if anyone wants to add me.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Tornelco wrote: »
    So I just picked this up the other day, and I got a Kunoichi on the NA server. How should I go about getting a guild invite? Or is the guild still around for that matter? If it isn't my name is Punctuation and my family name is Tornelco if anyone wants to add me.

Last I looked it was pretty well dead.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Yeah pretty much. I can invite people, but truth be told there are only a small handful of people that play and at wildly different times so you'd honestly have a better time/more fun joining a different Guild.

• Options
    Anyone know when/if the Olivia_Steam servers are going away? Google is not being helpful here other than random people saying they will.

• Options
    This game is super distracting.
    I've spent the last couple days doing nothing but driving in circles in my farm wagon trading stuff and brewing beer, barely gotten into any combat (i did kill a goat today).

• Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the trading, gathering, and crafting more than I did the combat. You're doing it right.

• Options
    Strikor wrote: »
    I enjoyed the trading, gathering, and crafting more than I did the combat. You're doing it right.

Though I do have to say that sometimes putting on some music, zoning out and farming mobs for awhile can be relaxing.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    As you may or may not recall, I bought this..before Christmas last year I think, and gave it a whirl.. and had terrible issues with buggy performance and crashing. Eventual investigation seemed to come to a cursory suggestion that it was the snow effect that was doing it, at least according to several posts I saw. Regardless, it made me kind of set the game aside for a while.

Well today I finally attempted it again, and after 18gigs of patching..I got in and just..Wow. The screen was cluttered with nothing but messages about items being sold/listed for a certain value that somehow deserved a global announcement, guilds fighting wars, and all kinds of other stuff.

And I got all kinds of crazy shit, there's apparently like 36million silver coins in my mailbox just given to me for no reason by the devs (i assume everyone got this money somewhere?) and all kinds of free gifts for logging in that were just obscene compared to what I had and was doing decently with already.

I just..I dont know how I feel about playing this more, Wheres the feeling of accomplishment when everythings being given to me?

Apparently money has weight too? because I couldnt take the 36mil out of my mailbox.

• Options
    Money always had weight, you helped get around it by converting your raw coin into bars at the banker.

Something tells me while the things you received seem grand, it's probably not much by comparison with how many updates have gone by.

• Options
    The free money comes as back pay for, I forget what they call it now, but each day you'll get a reward based on the number of characters you got, their levels, how much knowledge and energy you have, etc. Collectively known as Fame. After the initial back pay you'll receive a stipend based on your "Fame" level. At max levels of Fame I think you get about 1.75 million a day. Though I doubt I'll ever see that much. Mine is typically around 500k.

The rest of the free shit ya get is mostly items they hand out whenever they have to bring the servers down for maintenance, technical fuck ups, or during big patch days. The rest of the items are for various special events and such.

• Options
    edited June 2017
    And you can turn off the spam at the top of the screen in Settings->Game->scroll down to system notifications and check the boxes to turn each one off.

It'll take a bit for the queue of crap to clear after you apply it.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    The free money comes as back pay for, I forget what they call it now, but each day you'll get a reward based on the number of characters you got, their levels, how much knowledge and energy you have, etc. Collectively known as Fame. After the initial back pay you'll receive a stipend based on your "Fame" level. At max levels of Fame I think you get about 1.75 million a day. Though I doubt I'll ever see that much. Mine is typically around 500k.

The rest of the free shit ya get is mostly items they hand out whenever they have to bring the servers down for maintenance, technical fuck ups, or during big patch days. The rest of the items are for various special events and such.

Also, 36 million sounds like a lot, but its really not. That's like... two outfits.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Konphujun wrote: »

Also, 36 million sounds like a lot, but its really not. That's like... two outfits.

That just makes me question wtf is wrong with the economy then.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    The game has a level of progression that makes the word exponentially not even be enough to describe the difficulty increase.

The money will get you solid to be able to play comfortably to the level where you get you awakening. Then you spend 100s of hours to gain a level and maybe get all your gear up one more rank, get a huge power bump, but realize you are still epic leagues behind everyone else who can just kill you out of a grinding spot.

My only issue with the game was that I loved the combat but there was absolutely nothing to push me to learn how to be good at it. Outside of the PVP, which LOOKED great, but has a gate of entry that is about 200+ hours of work. Before you get to that point, you are just repeating some skills to grind aimlessly.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

That just makes me question wtf is wrong with the economy then.

Economy is pretty solid all things considered. It is right fucked in Korea I here, but in the west it isn't bad. You can make a couple million in one or two hours easy. Everything on the market seems reasonably priced IMO. I mean seeing all those zeros might make you pause for a moment, but its not as expensive as it seems. Well, most things at any rate.

BDO is probably my favorite faffing about game.

• Options
    You can make millions by buying a trade wagon and just filling it with stuff at one end of the map, lugging it to the other end and selling it, and repeating it as long as the wagon lasts.
    Not the fastest method, but it really requires your attention only every 15 minutes or less.

Currently not playing much, just afk riding to get horse levels higher before breeding them.
    Hoping to get a tier 7, atleast, before i start levelling past 49.
    But that depends lot on my patience which is wearing thin.

• Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    picked this up on steam and played a round a bit yesterday. Is there still a PA guild up and running somewhere?

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    You can make millions by buying a trade wagon and just filling it with stuff at one end of the map, lugging it to the other end and selling it, and repeating it as long as the wagon lasts.
    Not the fastest method, but it really requires your attention only every 15 minutes or less.

Currently not playing much, just afk riding to get horse levels higher before breeding them.
    Hoping to get a tier 7, atleast, before i start levelling past 49.
    But that depends lot on my patience which is wearing thin.

Thanks for posting this, it was enough to decide not to buy it. I'm not hating on you having fun, that's aces, but it let me know this would noooooot be my thing with the afking. Still though, steam sale, $5! You might put up a post about how bad/fine the microtransactions are, in case other people swing by curious like I was.

• Options
    The AFKing is not at all required, it's just a way people can do a little extra when they aren't directly playing the game, and it was in fact one of the things I really liked about BDO; I could play during the hours when I was able. Then, instead of logging off at the end of my session, I'd set my character up doing an AFK task like leveling horses, fishing, or the like. That way, when I came back to the game I'd be a little bit further ahead (more skill, more money, etc) of where I was when I left, rather than at the exact same spot.

Honestly, the only reason I quit was that there is nothing but forced PVP waiting for me at the 'endgame'. It kinda made everything I was doing feel worthless, because none of it would mean anything for my character in the long run.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    What's the deal with PVP in this game, just open and free for all 24/7? Can you just ignore the PVP or are you always a target for PVP / always flagged for it?

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Around level 40-45 (I don't remember off the top of my head) you become available for PvP (always flagged). You actually have to press a button to turn off your "safety" in order to hit other players. As long as it is on, and it is on by default, you can attack wildly without worrying about hitting another player.

In my experience PvP is mostly a non-issue.

When the game first launched and everyone was hitting that PvP level it was madness. Things have mellowed considerably since then.

That said, if you are off in a popular grinding spot you certainly run the risk of getting attacked. This usually falls in to one of two groups.

A) There is another group in that area and they want the stuff for themselves. In my experience groups will typically send invites to other random people in the same farming spot. If you decline they may attack. In this case you can usually just switch to a less populated channel.

B) Your garden variety ganker. They're more common in the really popular spots, for obvious reasons. I've been ganked a few times, but it has been a pretty rare experience for me. As with the above example, if you get ganked in a grinding spot it'll probably be a good idea to switch channels.

You don't really lose anything being ganked provided your character has good Karma. If you gank people you'll lose a lot of Karma. Having negative Karma comes with a host of adverse effects and regaining Karma is much, much harder than loosing it.

If a player is a full on ganker you'll spot them easily. There is like a giant red beam of light pointing straight to them from far away and your radar pings them plus the game straight up tells you, "YO WATCH OUT THERE IS AN ASSHOLE NEARBY!".

All in all just play it smart. If you know a spot is popular just keep an eye out. Change channels if you feel like things are a bit sketchy.

Axen on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    So do witches and wizards look like hobos forever unless you spend 50 bucks on some form of costume?

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    So do witches and wizards look like hobos forever unless you spend 50 bucks on some form of costume?

Pretty much, yea.

There a few cases when I was playing that it wasn’t the case.

• Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    That’s almost all of the classes, though. You can absolutely get premium outfits from the market though, as that’s how I’ve gotten all of mine so far. They’re comparatively cheap too, between 30-38 million silver. That’s a couple of hours grinding.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    That’s almost all of the classes, though. You can absolutely get premium outfits from the market though, as that’s how I’ve gotten all of mine so far. They’re comparatively cheap too, between 30-38 million silver. That’s a couple of hours grinding.

Yeah you can get em all from the market and while they are fairly cheap you may have to camp out at the market for awhile. Which, IMHO, is a small price to pay for not having to, uh, pay. Has worked for me so far at any rate.

From certain NPCs you can also buy NPC clothing too (pretty much everything you see NPCs wearing). Probably a list out there some where.