As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fuck The NCAA]-Athletes Now Able To Make Money Like Rest Of Us Edition

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't wish to drag this off topic or make it a debate topic, but I want to be prepared to rebut something that was thrown at me. Does anyone have any info, or has it been addressed before why the NCAA moved the men's basketball tournament out of NC as a result of HB2 but not the women's?

What is this I don't even.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I don't wish to drag this off topic or make it a debate topic, but I want to be prepared to rebut something that was thrown at me. Does anyone have any info, or has it been addressed before why the NCAA moved the men's basketball tournament out of NC as a result of HB2 but not the women's?

Women's tournament rewards the top 16 seeds by letting them host first and second round games. Duke had a great season and is a 2 seed in one of the regions, so they got to host.

Men's tournament is neutral sites controlled by the NCAA the whole way through.

EDIT: Forgot which state, but point stands.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

No clue, but they moved a number of other womens tournaments out of NC including Division I and III soccer, Division I golf and lacross, and Division III Tennis.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    College athletic directors defend the indefensible:
    Burke then offered his headline-stealing answer while discussing how well he feels universities and athletic departments take care of athletes in 2017. According to Burke, members the Purdue Club, which is responsible for raising the money to cover the cost of attendance for Boilermaker athletes, feel athletes already receive too many niceties and would cut their budget, if allowed:
    In his opinion, student-athletes already are provided with everything that they need to be successful, which he described as the goal of financial aid to student-athletes. He said that “we” [referring to schools] want to provide a level of support and services based on the time demands of participating in intercollegiate athletics and being a student that meets what student-athletes need to be successful academically and athletically.

MB believes that there is “already some tension” where the question of giving more to student-athletes is concerned. He said that some schools “are creeping back into that.”

[...]

Member of the John Purdue Club would not like the money going into athletes’ pockets beyond the cost of their attendance at Purdue. Some donors already are concerned about the level of services Purdue provides its student-athletes. MB and his colleagues have to explain why the services are appropriate. He believes that if he didn’t have those conversations, donors might act unilaterally and reduce the amount of money they give
    You do have to give these guys credit on at least one point, though. It is hard to imagine the NCAA and college athletics existing in their current forms if athletes were paid for their labor. I can’t think of a stronger argument in favor of paying them.

You would think they'd learn to just keep their mouths shut.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    And university presidents get in on the fun:
    Ohio State University president Michael Drake and Stanford University president Marc Tessier-Lavigne have joined that dipshit from Notre Dame and that dipshit from Texas as the latest university presidents to say that college athletes should not be paid. Young people should not be paid for their revenue-generating work! the old rich people say. Old rich people should be paid handsomely for overseeing it!

Drake and Tessier-Lavigne held forth at a panel discussion hosted by the Economic Club of Washington, D.C. Almost as offensive as their desire to continue not paying college athletes is their inability to even put any effort into their pro-amateurism arguments. Here’s what the dolts had to say, via The Columbus Dispatch:
    But Drake said he believes “in the student-athlete model overall. We want to do our best to manage that. I understand the pressures on student athletes and understand the nature and the size of our athletic enterprise. But I think the student-athlete relationship has served our students and our country well for decades.”

Drake was seconded by Stanford University President Marc Tessier-Lavigne, who said paying college athletes “would get in the way of them being students first and foremost, and athletes second.”

You know, I just wish they would be honest for once, and admit that they do this because they can get away with it.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't really need more reason to hate UT, ND, and OSU.

I don't really need more reason to hate UT, ND, and OSU.

Need, no. But it doesn't hurt.

It's time for Bama coaches to get paid, especially their linebackers coach, who is getting nearly $1M/year for his recruiting skill:
    The Alabama coaching staff got paid today, with head coach Nick Saban scheduled to make $11.125 million next season and vaulting him past Jim Harbaugh to become the highest paid coach in college football. Alabama’s defensive coordinator got a $300,000 raise, and athletic director Greg Byrne will make $900,000 next year. That’s good money for an AD but, curiously, it’s $50,000 less than outside linebackers coach Tosh Lupoi will earn.

Lupoi seems to be a very talented coach, but he isn’t becoming one of the highest paid assistant coaches in the country next year because he’s a defensive wizard or anything like that. Lupoi’s role on the Alabama coaching staff is to serve as the program’s star recruiter. Saban is the face of Alabama football and he has a penchant for, say, taking a helicopter to visit a recruit, but Lupoi is one of the most proven recruiters in the nation. He started out as the defensive line coach at Cal, his alma mater, and he helped bring in a series of future NFL players, including Keenan Allen, Richard Rodgers, and Cameron Jordan. He won Scout.com’s National Recruiter of the Year award in 2010, then left Cal two years later for a big payday at Washington, taking Shaq Thompson with him and ripping apart what would have been Cal’s best-ever recruiting class.

He left Washington in 2014 after being investigated by the NCAA for allegedly paying a recruit $4,500 in cash (he was not penalized in the case) and the investigation scuttled a planned move to follow Steve Sarkisian to USC. Lupoi then linked up with Saban at Alabama and started out as what Saban called a “recruiting intern.” It wasn’t long before he started paying off, bringing in the top recruiting class of 2016. Sarkisian was the top storyline of Alabama’s postseason meeting with Washington, yet it was Lupoi who was responsible for segments of the rosters of both College Football Playoff semifinalists last year. He also oversaw the recruitment of 2017's No. 1 overall prospect Najee Harris and had a hand in bringing many of that top-ranked class’s best players. Cal reportedly almost hired him back as defensive coordinator this offseason, but he ultimately turned them down. They probably couldn’t have paid him $950,000.

Lupoi is certainly one of the best in the nation at his job, but his hefty raise also crystallizes a lot of what makes the NCAA scam so gross. Legislators arguing that paying athletes will cost them money, rich university presidents defending the sanctity of the “student athlete” model, and athletic directors flailing desperately to cling to their cushy gigs in the multi-billion dollar NCAA pyramid scheme are all perfectly illustrative examples of the sham of amateurism, but nothing feels as direct as a linebackers coach raking in nearly $1 million to convince high school athletes to come work for free at Alabama.

Lupoi’s gaudy salary might be close to market rate when you compare it to those in a similar strata at other SEC and Big Ten schools, and he will inarguably help Alabama win football games. That doesn’t make it any less unjust.

(Emphasis mine.)

This here cuts to why the arguments against paying players rings hollow - the coaches are getting major paydays while the players get nothing.

The funnier one is when the NCAA compliance officers get rich.

Add Arizona to the list of colleges with predatory coaches:
    Outside The Lines published an investigation into the case of Arizona assistant track and field coach Craig Carter, who stalked, blackmailed, sexually harassed and abused, and physically threatened Arizona women’s track & field athlete Baillie Gibson, who competed for the Wildcats for five years. It is among the most unpleasant reports you’ll find, and is one worth reading in full.

Gibson, a Wyoming native, entered school as an Olympic hopeful and seemed to be on that path through her first two years. As a freshman in 2011, Gibson set the rookie discus record at Arizona, helping her earn All-America honors at season’s end—the same year, Carter was named national women’s assistant coach of the year by USA Track & Field. But come her sophomore year, Gibson suffered injuries and ended up redshirting, leading to her falling out of favor with Carter, who was already handling complaints of sexual harassment from other Arizona throwers.

After the collegiate season concluded and Gibson had returned to full strength, she participated in the 2012 Olympic Trials in Eugene, Oregon—she finished 12th in discus and ninth in shot put. The final night that the athletes were in Eugene, Gibson, 20 years old at the time, went to a house party, where she “drank heavily.” Remembering Carter encouraged his athletes to call him if they needed a lift while out intoxicated, Gibson rang her coach. Her account of what occurred is below:
    “I remember getting in the car, and then I don’t remember really what else happened,” Gibson says.

The next morning, Gibson says Carter showed her pictures he had taken on his phone of her naked and engaging in sexual acts with him in his car.

“I wanted to throw up,” Gibson says. “How could I do that? How does he have that?”

Gibson says Carter threatened to send the photos to her mother and father and post them on the internet. He also threatened her physically, she says, unless she submitted to his future sexual demands.

“He was going to post all of the pictures online so everyone could see what a whore I was,” Gibson says. “He just said that I would lose my scholarship and I would have all these pictures out and it was going to be bad if I said anything.”
    According to OTL’s report, Carter used the photos to blackmail Gibson into what she said were dozens of sexual encounters in his office. Roughly a month after the initial alleged assault in Eugene, Gibson attempted to cut off the sexual abuse; Carter responded by threatening to send the photos to her family.

...Gibson says the abuse continued until April 2015, when she finally revealed to a teammate what had been going on between her and Carter. She went to Carter’s office on April 20 to inform him of this, and Carter responded by choking her and holding a a boxcutter to her neck before releasing her and threatening to cut his own throat when she tried to escape. Carter confirmed the account in an interview with OTL.

OTL’s story includes details from many more harrowing encounters between Carter and Gibson, including one text message Carter sent to Gibson after he attempted to enter her apartment. It shows Carter holding what appears to be a gun in his mouth.

On May 1, Gibson spoke with a university police officer, leading to Carter’s arrest later that day. He was indicted on four felony counts two weeks later and was released two weeks after that when he posted a $40,000 bond.

At this point, you would think the NCAA would consider this a threat to their brand, if nothing else.

I recommend reading the original OTL article. The fact that the coach was a predator isn't really the fuck the NCAA issue. You'll find garbage like that in all walks of life. The Fuck the NCAA part is that the college was informed of it and didn't investigate.

PSN|AspectVoid
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I recommend reading the original OTL article. The fact that the coach was a predator isn't really the fuck the NCAA issue. You'll find garbage like that in all walks of life. The Fuck the NCAA part is that the college was informed of it and didn't investigate.

The whole thing is "fuck the NCAA", because their milequtoast handling of the matter (suggested guidelines? Fuck that noise, the policy should be that not dismissing coaches caught having sex with their players is an automatic LOIC ruling) helped drive the cover up.

The whole thing is "fuck the NCAA", because their milequtoast handling of the matter (suggested guidelines? Fuck that noise, the policy should be that not dismissing coaches caught having sex with their players is an automatic LOIC ruling) helped drive the cover up.

In this case, Arizona does have a no tolerance policy, and then chose not to investigate or act on what they were being told. So, I really think the Fuck the NCAA should be towards AZ choosing not to enforce their strict policy, not that NCAA doesn't require strict policy. Even if the NCAA required the policy, clearly Arizona would have ignored it.

PSN|AspectVoid

In this case, Arizona does have a no tolerance policy, and then chose not to investigate or act on what they were being told. So, I really think the Fuck the NCAA should be towards AZ choosing not to enforce their strict policy, not that NCAA doesn't require strict policy. Even if the NCAA required the policy, clearly Arizona would have ignored it.

The point is that there were no repercussions from the NCAA, so the policy was toothless, hence AZ dropping the investigation. Had the NCAA said "you don't fire your ahtlete-fuckers, we cite you for LOIC", you can bet that AZ isn't just letting that investigation wither.

Jim Delaney is getting a 20 million dollar bonus. But can't pay the athletes, that would be wrong.

Jim Delaney is getting a 20 million dollar bonus. But can't pay the athletes, that would be wrong.

Well, yeah. I mean, if they paid athletes then they'd have to do things like cover medical in case of injuries, treat them with respect, provide a safe work environment, cover unemployment if they cancelled scholarships, etc. Its much easier to treat them like slaves under a different name.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Duke shamelessly posts unpaid position in the AD office:
    Duke University’s athletic department has listed the position of “Athletic Facilities, Game Operations and Championships Assistant.” It’s a full-time position covering a period of 11 months and Duke prefers that applicants have four-year degrees. The position calls for someone to manage athletics facilities, assist with planning events and other operations, and “provide strategies that will improve the overall performance of the department.” For their time, the lucky winner will be paid no money.

The position has a listed salary of “Open,” although in the description, Duke lets hopeful applicants know, in all caps: THIS POSITION IS UNPAID. It does promise, however, “a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the daily operations of a Division I athletic department.”

Duke’s athletics budget is over $91 million.

Fuck Duke, and fuck the culture that spawns this shit.

And because I missed this one the first time, a USC player who was drafted into the NFL was forced to be homeless for TWO FUCKING MONTHS by the NCAA:
    Stevie Tu’ikolovatu was just drafted in the seventh round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after playing a year at USC, where he was the school’s 2016 defensive MVP and the MVP of the Rose Bowl. He also spent two months living out of a car and an SUV after he transferred from Utah—with his wife joining him after the first three weeks—because, well, here’s Martin Fennelly of the Tampa Bay Times to explain:

The problem was that until Tu’ikolovatu was officially enrolled at USC, NCAA rules prohibited the school from
    giving him benefits, such as housing. But he wanted to get out to Los Angeles to begin working out. So, away he went, no real plan.

He wound up sleeping in his car. For two months. His idea. Eventually, his parents delivered his mom’s 2004 brown Chevy Suburban to Los Angeles. They didn’t know their son would use it as an apartment.
    By all indications, the Tu’ikolovatus made the most of their situation, using public beach facilities to bathe and preparing food on a makeshift grill made from wood and aluminum foil. “It teaches you not to be selfish,” Tu’ikolovatu told Fennelly. “It teaches you not to take life so seriously. It teaches you how to love.”

It all makes for a nice story in the end. But if I have this right, it was OK for Tu’ikolovatu to work out in L.A. before he enrolled, and it would have been OK had he stayed with teammates, but USC providing him with housing during that time would have been a violation of NCAA bylaws. Amateurism or some such. Just a reminder: The Pac-12 has a $3 billion television agreement with Fox and ESPN.

This is a fucking travesty, and not the first time this sort of gooseshit has popped up (the late Rick Majerus was famously cited by the NCAA for giving a player groceries so he wouldn't starve waiting for his meal plan to go active.)

The Baylor lawsuits are getting worse. Now alleging participating in gang rape was a freshman hazing ritual.

The Baylor lawsuits are getting worse. Now alleging participating in gang rape was a freshman hazing ritual.

I have no words for that. Its just...god damn.

PSN|AspectVoid

And the NCAA continues to do nothing.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017

Baylor might actually get something. It's not the same kind of institution that Penn State or UNC is. If someone needs to be made an example of...

Bigger trouble is gooseshit statements like this:

xplSdwE8NACDq7dW.jpg

Edit: this is the women's basketball coach.

Mr Khan on
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I will never send any kid to Baylor.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    That was a while ago.

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    According to the suit, earlier in the year, Doe took a player’s dog to the vet and paid for urgent treatment after the dog was injured in a dogfight organized by football players.

Surprised this bit from the article didn't get more attention.

Or maybe I'm not surprised. They don't care about rape, why would they care about dogfighting?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    knitdan wrote: »
    According to the suit, earlier in the year, Doe took a player’s dog to the vet and paid for urgent treatment after the dog was injured in a dogfight organized by football players.

Or maybe I'm not surprised. They don't care about rape, why would they care about dogfighting?

In America, I'd actually expect the latter to get more sympathy than the former. America is fucked up.

knitdan wrote: »

In America, I'd actually expect the latter to get more sympathy than the former. America is fucked up.

Case in point: compare the treatment of Michael Vick to Ray Rice.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Baylor might actually get something. It's not the same kind of institution that Penn State or UNC is. If someone needs to be made an example of...

Bigger trouble is gooseshit statements like this:

xplSdwE8NACDq7dW.jpg

Edit: this is the women's basketball coach.

I seriously thought that was an out of context screen grab from an SNL sketch or something

• lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    MSU is done with their investigation but no sharing of the results (of course).

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
    Lawyers for women suing Baylor call out the university's attempt to withhold documents:
    Lawyers for 10 women suing Baylor for allegedly downplaying and ignoring reports of sexual assault are demanding that the university turn over records given to the private law firm hired to investigate the scandal. As part of that, lawyers on Wednesday filed a motion outlining how Baylor appeared to change its relationship on paper with law firm Pepper Hamilton in a way to keep records away from any lawsuits or public disclosure.

The assertion came in a motion asking a federal court judge in Texas to compel Baylor to “produce all materials provided to or produced by Pepper Hamilton.” The motion was first reported by the Waco Tribune-Herald.

“Baylor chose to structure it’s relationship with PH as one of an independent investigator,” the motions says, “and it only attempted to revise the relationship at the time Pepper Hamilton’s findings and conclusions to become public came near.”

The charge isn’t new that Baylor leadership took steps to leave no paper trail of what they knew and when about how the university made life hell for students who reported they were raped, especially (although not exclusively) if women said a football player was involved. It was obvious from the lack of facts, names, and dates in the summary that Baylor released, and then hammered home by a New York Times piece which concluded that such a lack of basic information could have been done only “to protect [the university] from criticism, lawsuits or both.”

But the lawsuits came anyway, and now one of them is fighting to get the information Baylor provided to Pepper Hamilton. As the suit, which covers 10 Jane Does, has progressed, Baylor and Pepper Hamilton have pushed back on producing documents related to the law firm’s investigation, according to the motion. In response, yesterday’s filing argues that the documents shouldn’t be covered by attorney-client privilege and should be produced, and the reasoning includes two letters that appear to show Baylor and Pepper Hamilton altering the relationship between them.

And congratulations goes to Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, for demonstrating through his dickishness why the NCAA rules allowing coaches to block transfers are absolute gooseshit:
    Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder has offered a rambling, illogical attempt at a defense for his decision to block sophomore wide receiver Corey Sutton from transferring to another university. Days after claiming that he would “love for” Sutton to stay at Kansas State and was only blocking a transfer because of his personal interpretation of athletic “commitment,” Snyder has abruptly changed course—telling reporters that Sutton failed two drug tests, which he feels could have been reason to kick him off the team before he’d ever tried to transfer.

Snyder blocked all 35 of Sutton’s transfer requests, even those to D-II and FCS schools, without offering any remotely reasonable rationale. Sutton called Snyder a “slave master” in a series of since-deleted tweets this afternoon.

Snyder spends nearly two minutes trying to defend his decision in a clip captured by reporters. He begins by noting that, well, if any athlete can leave because he feels he’s not being treated with the respect he deserves, then every athlete will leave, and then where’s your team? (Makes you think...) He goes on to say that it’s clear who deserves respect here: “I’ve been around here for 28 years. That young man was in our program for less than two years.” He finally drops the drug test bomb—saying that he had never before kept a player on the team after two positive drug tests, but Sutton was allowed to stay because of “rules.”

I love how he outright acknowledges that without these rules, he'd bleed players.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Damn, and i thought South Park was being too heavy-handed when they had Cartman approach a university coach talking about student athletes with Cartman acting like a slaveowner.

If anything it was too subtle.

• Martini_PhilosopherMartini_Philosopher Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Damn, and i thought South Park was being too heavy-handed when they had Cartman approach a university coach talking about student athletes with Cartman acting like a slaveowner.

If anything it was too subtle.

Interestingly enough, that's how the free agency rules came about for baseball. Back in the 1960s the black player's union sued the MLB for essentailly doing slave trading. It went to the supreme court who came down in favor of the union. Shortly after Congress passed a number of laws exempting the MLB and NFL from a bunch of antitrust laws.

All opinions are my own and in no way reflect that of my employer.
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    And congratulations goes to Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder, for demonstrating through his dickishness why the NCAA rules allowing coaches to block transfers are absolute gooseshit:
    Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder has offered a rambling, illogical attempt at a defense for his decision to block sophomore wide receiver Corey Sutton from transferring to another university. Days after claiming that he would “love for” Sutton to stay at Kansas State and was only blocking a transfer because of his personal interpretation of athletic “commitment,” Snyder has abruptly changed course—telling reporters that Sutton failed two drug tests, which he feels could have been reason to kick him off the team before he’d ever tried to transfer.

Snyder blocked all 35 of Sutton’s transfer requests, even those to D-II and FCS schools, without offering any remotely reasonable rationale. Sutton called Snyder a “slave master” in a series of since-deleted tweets this afternoon.

Snyder spends nearly two minutes trying to defend his decision in a clip captured by reporters. He begins by noting that, well, if any athlete can leave because he feels he’s not being treated with the respect he deserves, then every athlete will leave, and then where’s your team? (Makes you think...) He goes on to say that it’s clear who deserves respect here: “I’ve been around here for 28 years. That young man was in our program for less than two years.” He finally drops the drug test bomb—saying that he had never before kept a player on the team after two positive drug tests, but Sutton was allowed to stay because of “rules.”

I love how he outright acknowledges that without these rules, he'd bleed players.

Though there is a bit of a happy ending, as Sutton got his release today to go to any college of his choice.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    Foefaller wrote: »

Though there is a bit of a happy ending, as Sutton got his release today to go to any college of his choice.

After the coach publicly screwed the pooch sans lube, they couldn't justify the refusal.

• FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Foefaller wrote: »

After the coach publicly screwed the pooch sans lube, they couldn't justify the refusal.

Sadly, I doubt this is going to hurt Synder, at least in the next year or two. He's been at K-State forever, and literally the only football couch they've had to regularly have a winning record since 1934. Maybe 2-3 years down the road if/when the scouting dries up from all the good players wanting to go to colleges with couches former players didn't call a slave driver he'll be in hot water, but until that happens he's staying until he wants to retire.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    And in the continuing gooseshit that is schools preventing transfers, we have the case of Cam Johnson and Pitt:
    Shooting guard Cam Johnson, a summa cum laude graduate of Pittsburgh, announced on Tuesday that he will be taking his talents to Chapel Hill to play for the Tar Heels during his final two years of eligibility; the question now—the question that’s been unanswered for months—is whether the Panthers will let him walk.

Johnson announced his decision to transfer on April 1 and spent the past two months visiting potential landing spots before settling on UNC. In that time, the Pittsburgh administration decided to discourage Johnson from transferring within the conference, citing a school policy that requires him to sit out a year before joining another ACC school. After attempting to resolve the matter internally and go through Pittsburgh’s appeal process to obtain a full release, Johnson decided on Tuesday to take his appeal public, releasing a lengthy statement that highlighted the college system’s hypocrisy when it comes to transfer students.

Johnson’s story is unique in its timeline, but the outcome—a school forcing a graduate transfer to sit out a year because it disapproves of their destination—has become commonplace as schools and conferences within the NCAA attempt to exercise the power they have over their athletes.

...While for the majority of three-year players in college basketball this means an automatic year off due to their academic status as undergraduate students, the decision to depart from his alma mater initially seemed to be made easier by the fact that Johnson graduated from Pittsburgh this past May, wrapping his undergraduate academic career with a 3.9 GPA. Per the NCAA’s bylaws, Johnson’s status as an incoming graduate student allows him the option to transfer and play immediately for any program.

Unfortunately for Johnson, the NCAA also allows conferences and schools to craft their own graduate transfer policies. Taking advantage of this, Pittsburgh decided that Johnson could transfer to a conference member school, but cited a bullshit school policy that required him to sit out a year before doing so. Without a full release, Johnson will not have access to financial aid or the ability to participate in regular-season or postseason contests for North Carolina.

In a beautiful middle finger to Pittsburgh, Johnson moved forward with his transfer plans, announcing Tuesday that Roy Williams and North Carolina had won him over during his recruiting process. He paired his announcement with an open letter, which can be read in full at the bottom of this post, that called out both the Pittsburgh athletic department and the collegiate model as a whole for its inability to cede decision-making power to athletes.

In his letter, the guard pointed out the fact that his coach upon committing to Pittsburgh, Jamie Dixon, departed for TCU and coached immediately in 2016, as did current Panthers coach Kevin Stallings, who left from Vanderbilt. Johnson called out Pittsburgh’s decision to strip him of a year of eligibility, noting that the move actually violates an NCAA bylaw, which states that a school must either allow a graduate transfer to play immediately or deny the transfer entirely.

“I started this process believing that having graduated from Pitt, I should have instantly been granted an unconditional release,” Johnson wrote. “I feel that should be available to any student-athlete who earns their degree. Unfortunately, Pitt has continued to try and block my wish to attend North Carolina.”

So, short version: Pitt has had a terrible few years, so their top players are decamping to other teams where they might be able to perform better (or at least more publicly) for NBA scouts. Most of them are undergrads, so the NCAA requires them to sit for a year. But Johnson graduated (summa cum laude, even), so the NCAA rules say he can freely transfer. The problem is that he wants to head to UNC, which is also in the same conference, and thus would be a problem for a rebuilding Pitt team. At the same time, they know outright denying the transfer is going to look horrible for them. So, they tried to split the difference, and create a school rule that he can transfer to UNC for grad school, but would have to take a year off. Needless to say, this is grade A gooseshit, and Johnson is calling them out on it. Of course, the real issue is that, having graduated, Pitt should have no claim on him whatsoever, but does because of the NCAA's rules.

So...not a student-athlete, then?

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    So, short version: Pitt has had a terrible few years, so their top players are decamping to other teams where they might be able to perform better (or at least more publicly) for NBA scouts. Most of them are undergrads, so the NCAA requires them to sit for a year. But Johnson graduated (summa cum laude, even), so the NCAA rules say he can freely transfer. The problem is that he wants to head to UNC, which is also in the same conference, and thus would be a problem for a rebuilding Pitt team. At the same time, they know outright denying the transfer is going to look horrible for them. So, they tried to split the difference, and create a school rule that he can transfer to UNC for grad school, but would have to take a year off. Needless to say, this is grade A gooseshit, and Johnson is calling them out on it. Of course, the real issue is that, having graduated, Pitt should have no claim on him whatsoever, but does because of the NCAA's rules.

It sounds like in this case there may actually be a loophole in the NCAA rules that favors him though from your quote.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy