As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Blood Bowl] Triple Skulls Every Time

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    Picked up the Dwarves and Skaven this past week. As long as it remains affordable for me I kind of want to try making a decent 1000 TV roster for each of the teams that come out, to make pick up games really easy but also with a lot of variety. The Dwarfs are almost perfect just out of the box, and I'm thinking a little converting can shape up the Skaven box into a good starter team pretty nicely. The Orcs and Humans I'm a little more concerned with, as converting a regular Orc boy into a Black Orc seems a little lame considering they're supposed to be physically larger than normal, and I'd really like the humans to have an Ogre.

I thought I heard a rumour that we'd eventually see some booster packs (maybe resin?) which would contain any extra players you might need; for instance, Skaven would get a pack that would include the 2 extra gutter runners.*

*Honestly, what Skaven team doesn't want 4?

I really want to limit my team purchases to just the one box if I can help it, for cost reasons. I'm going to pick up the Ogre which should be coming out in a week or two just because I think it's probably the cheapest option for me. I actually have a left over River Troll from a few years ago when I made a Goblin team, so he'll be perfect for the Orcs, and I think I can convert the rest of the roster except for maybe the Black Orcs, since I do want them to be a bit bigger than the other positions.

I actually plan to turn the two Skaven throwers into two more Gutter Runners, and then convert two of the linerats (the model with the hand outstretched as if he's catching a ball) back into throwers. It sounds a little convoluted but I think the end result is going to work really well.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    And I have a tracking number on my Fantasy Football Battlefoam order. Woooo.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    My brother is a big football fan, and also loves boardgames. So I got a Bloodbowl set to play with him and want to do the human team as the Jacksonville Jaguars (his favorites) and the orcs as the New England Patriots.

Looking at their team uniforms though, I'm wondering. Are there any companies out there that make transfers of football numbers and team icons for miniatures? I don't particularly want to free hand any of this. Also, apparently one team wears gold pants and the other silver. Is there a good way to make that work on cloth, or would it be better just to use gray and dark yellow?

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    My brother is a big football fan, and also loves boardgames. So I got a Bloodbowl set to play with him and want to do the human team as the Jacksonville Jaguars (his favorites) and the orcs as the New England Patriots.

Looking at their team uniforms though, I'm wondering. Are there any companies out there that make transfers of football numbers and team icons for miniatures? I don't particularly want to free hand any of this. Also, apparently one team wears gold pants and the other silver. Is there a good way to make that work on cloth, or would it be better just to use gray and dark yellow?

The kits should come with transfers for numbers and such.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »

I looked up NFL miniature water slides and found

https://www.tudorgames.com/customs/nfl-decals.html

They might be too big, I didn't see a size listed.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Those appear to be for electric football models which appear to be about the same size as the GW mans. That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Local store is starting their BB league. Yay!

On Wednesdays at 2pm. Nay!

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Local store is starting their BB league. Yay!

On Wednesdays at 2pm. Nay!

...Who could possibly swing that? Youngins are all in school and all the grown ups are working.

• Options
    My new Battlefoam arrived last night. It should easily hold two or my teams. It has pouches for dice and a section just for the board and dugouts. I'm super happy with it.
    Saturday I should be able to actually put some time into my Ork team, "Da Golden Toof". And pick up my Ogre. Playing BB2's story mode made me really fond of the Ogre, I named him Puddin.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    I went to the GW to do some painting yesterday and I ended up having a game with my Orks against a Chaos team. I won 1-0. We had some wonderfully silly ball locations and if my Blitzer could have caught the ball it would have been 2-0.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    The FW rat ogre...doesn't look very good, huh?

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    The FW rat ogre...doesn't look very good, huh?

I'm not a tremendous fan of the pose tbh, but the main sticking point for me is that it seems to lack fur completely, which in turn doesn't look great because nothing is breaking up the flesh.

It almost makes me wonder if they forgot about it (I'll just carry on using my old Boneripper model). Maybe if / when they do the special characters for Skaven, maybe they'll do another Headsplitter.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    That pose definitely needs to be more upright. I don't think the paint job is doing it any favors either. But seriously that pose. It has to be just spilling into the adjacent squares right? Outside of how it looks, I feel it'd be a tremendous hassle to play with.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    I'm a bit disappointed with GW/Forgeworld's ongoing support of the game to be honest.

Except for Zug the resin models are really lacking, and while the 4 plastic teams are nice filling out the positionals is a hassle.

• Options
    With the exception of Griff, I think all the Forgeworld stuff has just been getting worse and worse with every release. I genuinely think they're trying to keep up with a release schedule that they weren't ready for, for whatever reason. There's just no way I am dropping 25 bucks on that disastrous BB rat ogre when I could go on ebay and get an Island of Blood Rat Ogre sculpt which looks amazing with no or minimal conversion for less than half that price.

In fact, I might just do that now.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    So I played this last night with my brother for the first time in about 13 years.
    I managed to win the first game with orcs, simply due to pretty much beating his team down and him not having enough guys left to stop me from running the ball in. (Had to do this due to my linesmen repeatedly failing to at catch/pick up the ball whenever I tried a throw) however I did get a team name out the rubbish linesmen, The Goddamm Goddammits - because of the amount they made me yell 'Goddammit')

Next game it was getting late so we were just gonna do 1 half. We swapped teams so I was now humans, He left his flanks open, so my catchers sprinted past his defence ready to catch the ball. I managed to throw the ball to my catcher who promptly tried to dodge the only orc between me and a 2 turn touchdown and failed both dodge rolls.
    The orcs then began pummeling my team and I couldn't stop them and they scored on turn 6. 1-0
    I somehow managed to get my catcher in another position for a 2 turn touchdown (on turn 8 end of the game for a tie), had to make a go for it roll though. It was a 1. game over.
    But because we were having fun we decided to see what would happen and kept playing till the next goal (basically just playing for fun and not taking things to seriously)

Needless to say the orcs ran roughshod over me, 3 of my players were pushed into the crowd, and most of my turns were just standing my guys up ready to be knocked down again. However I wasn't giving up, even when I tried to stop a touchdown and ended up accidently pushing the orc into scoring again. We decided to keep playing, to see what other craziness would happen.

I ended up with only 2 players left, a linesmen, and a blitzer, versus 10 orcs, due to a fumble my blitzer managed to get the ball!, but then tripped up trying to dodge away from an orc. Queue 6 turns of getting up, going for it, picking up the ball, dodging and tripping up again (sometimes not even managing to get the ball), while a couple of orcs kicked him while he was down. Me and brother decided this one blitzer was like a boxer at the end of a 15 round fight, tired, bruised, battered and barely able to stand, and surrounded by giant musclebound freaks laughing at him, but still not giving up.

Anyway my brother decided to finally finish off my Blitzer and moved 7 orcs into contact with him, ready to knock him out and then kick him dead. BUT the orc doing the blitz, due to him not paying attention when he was moving them into the fight, was actually a thrower. Quite possibly the worst choice for a blitz (he thought with three dice it didn't really matter). He rolled a push, and 2 both downs. Not wanting my blitzer to win a 7 on 1 fight (thanks to block) he chose push, so now my blitzer was on the corner of a square of orcs. And he had the ball. I decided I had one option left, to finally successfully make a dodge with him and go for their end zone. And with a Zoidberg like 'woop woop woop' my Blitzer sprinted away from the orcs, finally making a dodge roll.
    And because of the ways his orcs were positioned for their attempted beatdown, only one linesman could reach him for a blitz. with a 1 dice bltiz he rolled Skull, Attacker goes down!!! My blitzer was home free and scored a touchdown!
    Making the end result after about 30 turns of play, Orcs 2 Humans 1.

the Orc attempt on my blitzer that pushed him free. you can see the thrower had no choice but to push him out the scrum
    4e0nb5j87r90.jpg

the touchdown, with the orc linesman who attempted to stop him lying prone on the ground. And in the far distance my one remaining linesman on defence
    6hgcenp7p0xk.jpg

TLDR: Played a game long past when it should've ended, One of my last 2 players on the field got the ball, survived a 7 on 1 fight and and managed to score.

• Options
    I think I found out why I like the human team so much less than the Orc team.

Not fantasy enough. The armour looks too much like football armour, not enough like historical armour.

New Griff is a good example.
    99550999005_GriffOberwald01.jpg

compared to the in my opinion much better old Griff
    bb_griffoberwald2.jpg

Also who thought that the new one should look like Judge Dread without helmet? At least he comes with an alternate helmet.

video game art is also much better
    tumblr_inline_n4hjfhvY611s4e5wg.jpg

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yeah those shoulder pads are a little ridiculous. The head's not bad, but the hair isn't great. But yeah, of the three the video game art is the best.

• Options
    Looks like the next BB release will be a Troll.

My dream release at the moment would be character sized sprues with maybe two players on it as boosters for the plastic team with more of the 0-4 positionals + assorted linemen on it.

Like a black orc + blitzer sprue for the Orcs or a blitzer + lineman sprue for the humans.

• Options
    My Dark Elf team is finally fully painted and flocked! Presenting the Agents of HYDRA:
    fir67pog6rrw.jpg

Close ups in the spoiler:
    The four blitzers:
    qcvbw86hsolp.jpg

The witch elves, assassin, and runner:
    hgngmmrgfm1a.jpg

The 6 line elves:
    9f6ducm50x2s.jpg

• Options
    That's a brilliant color scheme/theme for Dark Elves.

• Options
    Spent Monday at my local bar playing a game of Blood Bowl. My new case came in handy getting everything to the table. Da Golden Toof beat the human team 1-0. We each had some horrible rolls; he spent two consecutive turns with a boneheaded Ogre and my Thrower failed to pick up the ball two turns in a row. In a strange turn of events the bartender wants to start a D&D night and wanted to know if I'd be up for playing.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Against all odds I've actually gotten my fiancee hooked on Blood Bowl. She typically hates miniatures games because of their standard slant towards fluffiness over mechanics, but she's currently finishing up the paintjob on her first Amazon team and has been miniature hunting for a Necromantic team and a Chaos team that she wants to retheme using Chocobos and other Final Fantasy monsters/characters.

So... I mean, the wedding seems like a pretty great idea at this point.

In actual for real Blood Bowl news, GW has released photos of the first of their long-rumored team booster packs:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/24/blood-bowl-at-warhammer-fest-apr24/

I'll post the photos here in a spoiler, too:
    FW-Scaven-Thrower-500x500.jpgFW-Scaven-Gutter-Runner-500x500.jpgFW-Scaven-Blitzer-500x500.jpgFW-Scaven-Gutter-Runner-2-500x500.jpg

aaannnnnd a preview photo of the next star player, Grim Ironjaw. I gotta say he looks a lot better than some of the most recent Star Players that have been coming out of Forge World. He's not super flashy though:
    FW-Dwarf-500x500.jpg

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    That'S a much better set of resin miniatures than the last offerings.

• Options
    I really like the new Skaven. The old Grim Ironjaw is one of my favorite minis.

I played a few weeks ago at my local bar. They had a shelf of board games and I'm on good terms with most the staff so I figured it wouldn't be an issue.
    It was such a non-issue the bartender wants to start a D&D night.

I'm slowly getting my Orks painted, I'm hoping to get all the paint done soon so I can seal them and base them.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    OK, these are pretty nice.

GrombrindalBlackGobboContent.jpg

40 years White Dwarf star players.

• Options
    Damn, those are super nice looking. Rules for them will be in the 40th White Dwarf. The models are on sale at Warhammer Quest at the end of May and a full release later in the year.

I probably need that Dwarf.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Whooo. Actually found a league to play in. 15 players in 3 groups.

My group has Skaven, Humans, Shambling Undead, and Halfling and I'll be playing Elf Union.

Now just trying to manage to find a date to play.

• Options
    Goblins announced! These guys are my team so it's nice to see the hype around their release, even though I already have my own team built, so I won't be picking any up myself.
    It looks like we're getting a team box (without secret weapons??) and a four goblin booster box for the orcs:

May7BBGoblins2.jpg

May7BBGoblins1.jpg

• Options
    I really like those. No desire to own them but I think they look great.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Also while I have an undying love for the little bastards, I feel a bit weird about Goblins being released before any of the other teams from Death Zone 1. If I were an Elf player I would be pretty upset about now. At least Nurgle has some really nice conversion material with shit like the Blightkings and Plaguebearers.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    So Deathzone 2 comes out in a few days, with some exciting news for my Gobbos. They get two new positionals:

First, an 'Ooligan, which I understand to be a really old position that is returning to the game. He's a stat-standard Goblin that gets Disturbing Presence and Fan Favorite, a rarely-used rule that gets the team +1 FAME (that's FAME, and not just Fan Factor) while he's on the field. I'm not sure what he's supposed to look like yet but I'm already a good way along on my conversion to make a Goblin streaker, because that seemed perfect.

Secondly, Gobbos get a Doom Diver, which gets a new rule called Swoop, which scatters him like a Ball and Chain when thrown instead of with the normal scatter template, and also gets him +1 to landing rolls, at the cost of not being able to use Stunty while dodging. This guy seems like a huge game changer.

Death Zone Season 2 comes out on Saturday officially, but some preorders and stores have been breaking street date for folks.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    I didn't realize the Swoop rules leaked already. Very cool. My copy is sitting at my local store, I could probably grab it early but I haven't tried.

After realizing it's hard to get new people playing if they don't have a team I started painting up the Orc and humans that came in the boxed set.
    I'm almost done painting my Orc team, "Da Golden Toof". I still need to number, seal, and base them though. Considering I really only work on them once a week, it'll be a bit before they are finished. I was told someone had some of the Orc drummers from the current Sigmar sets for me to use, so I'm super happy about that. I still need a coach. Eventually I'll start the human team. With my old Dwarf team it gives me 3 full teams.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    First league game against halflings was quite bloody. 6 casualties on my side, 2 of them to treemen, 2 to halflings and 2 just tripped and fell. First half was 0 to 7 rerolls because of the masterchef.

That and svelting heat meant a pretty empty field through stretches of the game.

A lineman and the thrower died, rest was badly hurt.

Both blitzers got +1 strength, catcher got dodge.

Halflings had 7 casualties and 2 dead. Game ended 3:0 for the elves. Lots of fun.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I still need to do minor touch ups, number, seal, and base. I'm not a great painter but I'm pretty happy with how Da Golden Toof have come out.

swF3tBS.jpg
    kZteXch.jpg

Ken O on
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    All the Blood Bowl Stuff they're posting from Warhammer Fest look pretty good. Minotaur, human booster pack, fat skaven, plastic elf union which I'll probably get to replace my metal elves if the render is anything to go by.

• Options
    That fat Skaven is glorious. Really I t all looks good.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    So I won my Blood Bowl league this past week! My Dark Elves went undefeated through 7 regular season games plus the semi-finals and finals. A couple close games where dice going either way could have tipped it, but very proud nonetheless. (Highlight of the finals for me - my opponent, Undead, have just scored on T4 of the first half. The kickoff table is Pitch Invasion, and I stun both his werewolves, a wight, and two of his zombies on the line, while none of my players get hit.)

• Options
    Next game this weekend against the shambling undead. I guess the two journeymen I have to take are going to spend their time getting beat up by some mummies.

• Options
    Game was a success with the touchdown for a 3:1 in the last turn of the second half.

Undead player had some unlucky rolls and didn't manage to take out my blitzers, not for the lack of trying though.
    During the second half the Blitzers decided that the KO box was a much safer place than the pitch to spend the rest of the afternoon.

Favourite turn was when a Ghoul tried to pass the ball to another Ghoul in the end zone, resulting in to throw ins after another with the ball moving from the left endzone corne to almost the line of scrimmage on the right side of the field right in front of one of my players. Pass to a catcher who then scored in the next turn.

Much luckier this game with the casualties, too. No dead, just one badly hurt libeman and one with -1MA. On the other hand one of my strength 4 Blitzer now also has dodge as do both catcher. I also got enough money to buy back the thrower who died in the last game and get an apothecary.

This time we also played with the 4 minute time limit and iit makes the game much more stressful/exiting.