As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - New Civilization

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2017 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - New Civilization

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    First panel has to be Gabe at play. The second is Tycho.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I've played this game for a good half dozen hours so far, and honestly, this is absolutely spot on.

It's unbelievably easy to slip into character in VR games in general thanks to how amazing it is to be IN the game instead of looking AT the game. But Bridge Crew is even easier.

Even playing with friends, you find yourself requesting orders from "Captain" instead of "Pete" or whoever, and the instinct is overwhelmingly strong to acknowledge orders with "Yes sir" while trusting that the orders are well informed with a purpose.

Everyone specializes in their field, whether that's Helm, Tactical, or Engineering, and the Captain has the overview directing Engineering to reduce engine power to run silently, or instructing Tactical to lower the shields and bring survivors aboard with the transporter, or saying "Helmsman, take us in, nice and slow. Fly casual."

And there's full cross play between Oculus Rift, HTC Vive, and PSVR, which means the playerbase is enormous, at least compared to other VR games.

If VR needed a killer app still, this game is it.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Holy shit the art in these two panels

• Options
    RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    The buy in is enormous, so this makes sense. First is 30 dollars. Second is upwards of 500.

• Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    I just checked. Bridge Crew is a 60 dollar game, god damn.

The Vive alone is around 900 bucks, a good enough video card around 200 and up and a a CPU that can handle it.

The complete package will cost you around 1500 dollars.

That's a lot of money for something that's fun for an hour or two.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    Damn. That 900 Euro cost for the Vive really makes the $400 USD I paid for the PSVR seem like a steal.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    The buy in is enormous, so this makes sense. First is 30 dollars. Second is upwards of 500.

Said like a person that's never experienced the community in Rec Room.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Ravelle wrote: »

The Vive alone is around 900 bucks, a good enough video card around 200 and up and a a CPU that can handle it.

I mean you're probably not going to play Bridge Crew and then throw the computer and Vive in the garbage.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I feel like there should be a third panel "friends in Star Trek: Bridge Crew" where the captain is upset that his tactical officer calls him the worst captain in Starfleet while popping off the ship's photon torpedo compliment at every target without orders. This is based on watching streams of Will Smith (not that one) play with Gary Whitta.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    I mean you're probably not going to play Bridge Crew and then throw the computer and Vive in the garbage.

This is a fair point. I considered buying a VR headset like buying any other platform: I'm investing in the platform and will over time recoup my investment with (hopefully) many games.

If you want to list the full cost of the platform and compare it to just the cost of the game, you are making an unfair comparison unless you are purchasing the platform only for that one game and will not use it for anything else.

TrueLink on
  • Options

I know, but aren't most of the games available 2 hour deals as of now? Even if you buy it as a long term investment, it's going to have a lot more down time than play time. I'm not trying to knock the games or the vive, it just seems absurd to me, the price and what you get out of it.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

You don't buy a new gaming system for every single game? I don't like the bits to touch, it sullies the experience.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Food $200
    Data $150
    Rent $800
    Replacement Vive $900 every 2 hours
    Utility $150
    someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

• Options

I know, but aren't most of the games available 2 hour deals as of now? Even if you buy it as a long term investment, it's going to have a lot more down time than play time. I'm not trying to knock the games or the vive, it just seems absurd to me, the price and what you get out of it.

You'll also have a top level gaming PC that can play literally tens of thousands of games.

• Options
    How many hours a day do you plan on playing Vives? Keep in mind that you will have to go through setup with each replacement.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    TrueLink wrote: »
    How many hours a day do you plan on playing Vives? Keep in mind that you will have to go through setup with each replacement.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2017

I've put six hours into Bridge Crew and not even finished the five scripted missions, let alone touched the package of randomly generated missions, which one of my friends has put a further thirty hours into.

Also, it's manifestly unreasonable to include the cost of the PC and then act like the PC is only good for VR.

On top of that, the Vive is the most expensive example. The Rift is $200 cheaper for the same capability, and the PSVR is even cheaper than that for a still very good experience.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    TrueLink wrote: »
    Damn. That 900 Euro cost for the Vive really makes the $400 USD I paid for the PSVR seem like a steal.

The PSVR surrenders a fair bit to the Rift and Vive, so you do get more for your money. But yes, if you already own a PS4, the PSVR is the better buy.

If you own a gaming PC that's already VR-capable, however, you'd be insane to go PSVR, especially now that the full Rift package is only $600.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    I have a pretty beefy gaming PC I invested a lot of money in, I can't afford another hit like that for quite a while. It's 500 to 900 bucks, and then you have to buy the games for it.

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    I have a pretty beefy gaming PC I invested a lot of money in, I can't afford another hit like that for quite a while. It's 500 to 900 bucks, and then you have to buy the games for it.

It comes with a decent amount of free games (the Oculus at least, I don't know about the Vive) but yeah, you're not missing out on a huge amount by not being an early adopter.

• Options

You'll also have a top level gaming PC that can play literally tens of thousands of games.

Precisely. For the first time in a long time, I bought a badass system so I could get a Vive. I haven't gotten to play with the Vive much in months because house arrangements changed for the worse. Instead, I've played a ton of great PC games, many of which were on sale on Steam because I'd waited past the initial high-priced launch window.

• Options
    CallofBootyCallofBooty Registered User regular
    In case no one has seen this sophisticated interaction on the bridge yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwrwQY5p23k

• Options
    I'm not sure what the joke there is supposed to be

• Options
    edited June 2017

In the video itself? Seems like a joke on the level of Halo teabagging.

But you can almost make a new strip with the second panel and then a summary of what went on in this video, retitling the panels to "how you think it should be" and "how it winds up being."

dennis on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    In case no one has seen this sophisticated interaction on the bridge yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwrwQY5p23k

Welp. This video made me sad :/ .

sig.gif
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    If I were to play this, I imagine I would find myself shaking back and forth in my seat with all the veracity of the original cast anytime our ship experiences Space Turbulence. Also, this game better have the option for Officer Poker night. And a Ten-Forward with plenty of backwards-facing chairs for me to vault, Frakes-style.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    DLC should have a ships mess... where you can walk up and punch Neelix in the face.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    I had to watch it a couple times but the dude on the left makes the "huge tracts of land" gesture with both hands...

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

Food $200
    Data $150
    Rent $800
    Replacement Vive $900 every 2 hours
    Utility $150
    someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

obligatory: 215471989_GKZWD-2100x20000.jpg

• Options
    TrygylTrygyl Registered User regular
    So admittedly I'm out of the loop, but why would you need a replacement Vive every two hours?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Trygyl wrote: »
    So admittedly I'm out of the loop, but why would you need a replacement Vive every two hours?

You wouldn't. Is the joke.

• Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of somebody saying that For Honor had a similar way of imposing roleplay on its players.
    Basically, people observed the etiquette of a sporting duel and would apologize if they hit you while you weren't ready.

• Options
    InsaniacDuoInsaniacDuo Registered User regular
    I wonder if this is going to be voiced by one of those VA youtubers.

• Options
    lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Man, I would love to play Bridge Crew, but I don't need another loan hanging out there just to get the gear needed to play it.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The much cheaper, though non-licensed, option remains Artemis.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    That is the tiniest Junkrat.

Or the biggest Roadhog, but the first possibility is more adorable.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    The much cheaper, though non-licensed, option remains Artemis.

Artemis is very good, yes. I strongly encourage people to play it if you haven't (and don't have VR for Bridge Crew).

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I'm reminded of somebody saying that For Honor had a similar way of imposing roleplay on its players.
    Basically, people observed the etiquette of a sporting duel and would apologize if they hit you while you weren't ready.

I hear Dark Souls is like that too. In Japan.