As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Star Wars: X-wing Miniatures Game] Finish What You Start! (Your collection.)

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That video is exactly why I wouldn't like hard sci-fi space combat.

Jovian chronicles the RPg had hard math space combat and much of what the video showed
    and had Not boxed shaped fighters
    <snip pics>

Honestly I think expecting humans will ever design anything that does not take some degree of aesthetics into account is flawed.

Oh yeah?
    a-10-thunderbolt-ii_011-ts600.jpg

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really need to get an engine upgrade on of these days. Cant give him roll since I need
    admanb wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

That video is exactly why I wouldn't like hard sci-fi space combat.

Jovian chronicles the RPg had hard math space combat and much of what the video showed
    and had Not boxed shaped fighters
    <snip pics>

Honestly I think expecting humans will ever design anything that does not take some degree of aesthetics into account is flawed.

Oh yeah?
    a-10-thunderbolt-ii_011-ts600.jpg

Not the best picture to make your case.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    What are you, some kind of ground-pounder? The Warthog is ugly as sin. Do you know what callsign they fly under? "UGLY 01" I'm not even making that up.

Also, I did laugh a little bit at the nerdist guy with Thor's haircut talking about the 'impracticality of a stick and throttle under G." Dude, we regularly move them around pulling 6-9 Gs standard. You know what's impossible? Trying to push a tiny button on the display while under G: you lose all fine-motor coordination as you struggle to lift your suddenly 80 lbs arm. Also, the dude talks about acceleration and using it to simulate Gs so you can stand up, but while the human body can only take about 3-4 vertical Gs while resting, and a max of 9 or so Gs while straining, it can take in excess of 40 lateral Gs, which is why Astronauts sit how they do as they go into space. Otherwise they'd get cerebral hypoxia during their ascent. But yeah, space battles are silly and WWII style battles are awesome which is why I'm just idly watching the development of Star Citizen but I would throw money at VR X-Wing v Tie Fighter.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    At that angle it looks just fine is the thing.

Oh, I wasn't really being serious. The story around the A-10 Warhog is that it was built around the 30mm cannon there in the front and all consideration was given to its role as Close Air Support (CAS) platform. As a platform it does that job very well, but the flying community often makes jokes about it being slow and ugly. So, therein lies the joke.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Yeah, I'm aware of that opinion. I note that you're still not giving it it's proper name there, as "Warthog" is still a nickname. It's properly the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

Nobody calls it that.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm aware of that opinion. I note that you're still not giving it it's proper name there, as "Warthog" is still a nickname. It's properly the A-10 Thunderbolt II.

Nobody calls it that.

I call it the tank killer because it was the first flight simulator I ever played.

50av2iju8m69.jpg

Landing when I was so young seemed impossible.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
    I don't know anyone in the business who calls it the Thunderbolt II. Also, no one calls the F-16 "Fighting Falcon" unless we're making fun of it. You can call the F-15 the Eagle though: we're proud of that name.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I'm figuratively dying about the K-Fighter's title. To fix it we're gonna give it three discounted modifications!

Ship looks pretty as heck though.

oh h*ck
    I just read the Vaksai title card. It discounts EVERYTHING by 1 point. That's insane!

oh h*ck
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It's about god damned time they did this.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I don't know anyone in the business who calls it the Thunderbolt II. Also, no one calls the F-16 "Fighting Falcon" unless we're making fun of it. You can call the F-15 the Eagle though: we're proud of that name.

Honestly, I hear more people just refer to them as F-16 or A-10 more often than any nicknames unless they're talking specific Aircraft Maintenance Units, like Viper or Strike or Eagle.

Hueys will always be Hueys though.

Edit: BUFF is commonly used for B-52s but I've never heard a pilot say Texan II instead of T-6, or anything other than T-1 and T-38.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Turkson wrote: »
    I just read the Vaksai title card. It discounts EVERYTHING by 1 point. That's insane!
    YUP YUP YUP!

You can have 5 of these
    Super cheap:
    Cartel marauder, Vaksai, Black Market Slicer Tools, XX-23 S-Thread Tracers, Munition Failsafe, guidance chips: 20 points

Or 4 of these
    Cheap Arc Dodger:
    Cartel marauder, Vaksai, XX-23 S-Thread Tracers, Inertial Dampeners, Vectored Thrusters, Engine Upgrade, Autothrusters: 25 points

Or if you want just 1 or 2:
    Pocket Ace Arc Dodger:
    Black Sun Ace, Vaksai, Veteran Instincts, XX-23 S-Thread Tracers, Inertial Dampeners, Vectored Thrusters, Engine Upgrade, Autothrusters: 28 points

Of course Talonbane gets REAL nasty real fast:
    Talonbane Cobra, Vaksai, Fearlessness, XX-23 S-Thread Tracers, Cloaking Device, Stygium Particle Accelerator, Autothrusters, Engine Upgrade: 34
    If it works out perfect, you can get to range 1 to fire 5 red dice PLUS a free hit, with focus, and an evade.

DO3O00C.png
    Vaksai is just a damn sexy title. Really captures the feel of a ship being super modular.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't have much experience with Mindlink but Black Sun Aces will get that and a slew of other upgrades for free, there's gotta be a list in there somewhere

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    doubling down on the scum theme of 'everything is customized to hell and back' was a good choice imo, feels right

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I think I'm gonna go to an X-wing tourney tomorrow. Never gone. don't even know what ships I want to fly... :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna go to an X-wing tourney tomorrow. Never gone. don't even know what ships I want to fly... :(

Jumpmasters, obviously :P

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

I've only got one of those, and given that I'd prefer to stick to more basic play, I want to avoid that. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

I've only got one of those, and given that I'd prefer to stick to more basic play, I want to avoid that. :)

Ah. Well, it's still not a bad ship to get on the table for the turret and such.

edited June 2017
    This is what i'm going to go with.. and make lots of mistakes with.
    MISSILE BOATS?

98 points

PILOTS

Etahn A’baht (44)
    E-Wing (32), BB-8 (2), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Expertise (4), Collision Detector (0), Engine Upgrade (4)

Nera Dantels (37)
    B-Wing (26), Fire-Control System (2), Ion Cannon (3), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Flechette Torpedoes (2), Deadeye (1), Munitions Failsafe (1)

Prototype Pilot (17)
    A-Wing (17), Chardaan Refit (-2), Vectored Thrusters (2)

Athenor on
    I have... many thoughts. What are you going for?

DO3O00C.png
    ElderCat wrote: »
    I have... many thoughts. What are you going for?

Something fun to play. I went 1-2, facing two ghost Biggs fleets and a tie/sf swarm. I got lucky with that one game because of the ghost flying off the edge.

Using a twin laser turret to fire four volleys is insane. I did manage to keep my E wing parked next to another ghost long enough to get him to launch his shuttle, though!

Okay. Now that I'm home, I wanted to give a bit more of my thought processes.

First thought it that I wanted to fly Rebels, and that I didn't want big ships. I have a hard enough time visualizing movement with the small ships, so adding the bulk of the large template would just screw me over. Second, I wanted to fly ships I liked. That meant the B wing. I also really like the E-wing, so it was my second thought. I saw the ability that let you change a hit to a crit and realized I really wanted that, so that was an easy pick.

From there, I started assembling things, looking for abilities that would pair well together. Then I started realizing how hard 100 points really was. I looked up online for X-wing tips for beginners, and found a series talking about beginner mistakes with ordnance - namely that they are a big gamble for a lot of points. This got me to switch out my B-wing for the 360 degree torpedo one, and downgrade to Flechette torps.

My core thought was to try as hard as I could to keep the E-wing's ability in play, having it sit back and cover as many enemies as possible with its ability. This meant mobility... Lots of mobility. I was always the crazy person doing extreme shit when I flew back in the Crimson Skies days, so I wanted to keep that up. The beginner article also mentioned the difficulties of target locks and action economy, so my B-wing got Deadeye and Fire Control System (which I forgot about my first game).

Finally, I had enough points left over for a super cheap A-wing, so I threw that out there. Vectored thrusters put me at 100 points on the dot, and I didn't see any missiles I wanted, so I threw on the refit to bid at 98.

My first game I was crashing into asteroids left and right. I was getting a feel for the dials, and I miscalculated what the TIE swarm was going to do (as they set up in a corner while I went middle). I tried flipping my A-wing with my E and B wings.. and my A wing just got it HARD. two hits and a crit went to structural damage killing him in one shot. The others died before I could really get anything lined up. Biggest thing I learned from this game was about how to predict which ships were going to move when, and remember to plan for that when setting dials. The A-wing made things difficult for me more than once.

My second game was interesting. The B-wing died almost instantly, and the A- wing soon after. But My E-wing was able to park behind Bigg's ass and just wreck shop. The whole time I managed to keep either outside 3 for the TLT Ghost, or within 1. Not once did TLT get used. Then I managed to use a combination of free Barrel rolls (BB-8), turns, and boosts to keep within 1 of the Ghost all along the far edge of the map, staying just far enough back that I could take pot shots. That pretty much ended when he launched the Spectre, and I decided to do a 4 K-turn... and suddenly everything was lined up perfectly to kill my E-wing.

Final game was against a player newer than me (while the others were against people who were top 32 in worlds). It was another Biggs/Ghost setup, mirroring the previous game. I managed to survive the initial salvo, though the 4 shots of TLT pretty much wrecked my E-wing and my A-wing soon followed. But the player caught like a quarter of an inch of his base off the edge of the map, and the Ghost was forced to disengage. I was willing to just nudge it (the other players were practicing for regionals), but the new player pulled the unit before I could do anything, and I learned he couldn't even undock the spectre. Eventually the B-wing was able to lumber around and take a shot at Biggs, finishing him off.

Man, was it fun. It felt amazing being able to dance and juke with the E-wing.. I had a feeling I'd like fast, agile ships, but protecting them is a bit of a bitch. The Ghost/TLT thing is just stupid, though.

edited June 2017
    Consider Corran for the E-wing next time - his ability to double attack is pretty good for jousting play. Attack twice on the pass, next turn you loop out and clear while you can't fire anyways. Turn 3, come back in and repeat. I think you can save more than the difference by dropping the ordinance and engine upgrade (it's a bit expensive).

I will note that the wording of Etahn's ability doesn't limit it to him. Any ship in his arc takes free crits from everything attacking them. Because of that he may work better if you can bring more guns to bear at once (so you may want to not run a heavily laden B-wing at the same time and fill out with cheaper ships).

It wouldn't change the point cost, but do you have Extra Munitions for the B-Wing? It's useful if you want to run the more expensive ordnance. With 3 primary, you may want to use guidance chips over failsafe for the auto-crit. I'd consider Plasma torps over flechette as well for the higher firepower.

For the A-wing, one option would be to give up the barrel roll to go up to Green Squadron Pilot and equip Snap Shot. Never hurts to bring that to a fight, though this would cost your bid. Kind of sucks you have to go to 19 points to field it though, since Imperials can get snap shots on the table for 16. (Edit: Okay, you can get one out for 17 with Sabine)

Polaritie on
    Yeah, I was heavily using Etahn's ability on every attack. :) I can't wait to try out some of these adjustments.

To be fair, I'm half theorycrafting here. I fly imps all the time.

But I've had games where a pair of snap shot ties have torn holes in the other team (because unmodded 2-dice shots work perfectly fine against 1 green die with no mods!)

What other ships do you have? I used to run an E-Wing list that was really fun. But Jake Farrell is super fun, and would go well with a super maneuverable Etahn.

DO3O00C.png
    ElderCat wrote: »
    What other ships do you have? I used to run an E-Wing list that was really fun. But Jake Farrell is super fun, and would go well with a super maneuverable Etahn.

All.. Of them? At least one of each.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Jake is my favorite A-Wing. He's so much fun to fly.

If I were to riff on the list you flew, I'd maybe do this:
    Etahn A'baht (32)
    Veteran Instincts (1)
    Fire-Control System (2)
    BB-8 (2)
    Hull Upgrade (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
    Fire-Control System (2)
    Plasma Torpedoes (3)
    Extra Munitions (2)
    Guidance Chips (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
    Fire-Control System (2)
    Plasma Torpedoes (3)
    Extra Munitions (2)
    Guidance Chips (0)

Total: 98

It may be a bit hard to get the B-Wings in range for TLs, but when you do, you have a 4 dice attack (about 2 hits expected) plus you can change any die to a crit and a hit to a crit. Then after the attack, you gain another TL from FCS, and could K-turn and fire a second time if they blow past you. There's even some wiggle room if you wanted to upgrade the plasmas to protons for the ability to change a focus to a crit which means you have a fairly high probability for a 3-crit attack!

I love B-Wings and E-wings, but I wish they were a bit more competitive right now.

Huh. Didn't even occur to me that extra munitions would save a point ...

Huh. Didn't even occur to me that extra munitions would save a point ...

Not with flechette torps, but any more expensive ones it does.

I don't like ordinance on fighters. I would much rather have more ships. Here is something similar to the list I used to run:
    ====
    EABZ
    ====
    98 points

Etahn A’baht (38)
    E-Wing (32), BB-8 (2), Expertise (4), Collision Detector (0)

Jake Farrell (26)
    A-Wing (24), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Chardaan Refit (-2), Snap Shot (2), Autothrusters (2), Adaptability (0)

Blue Squadron Pilot (22)
    B-Wing (22), Collision Detector (0)

Bandit Squadron Pilot (12)
    Z-95 (12)

DO3O00C.png
    My favorite B-Wing set-ups:

Nera Dantels (35pts)
    Deadeye
    Fire Control System
    Proton Torps
    Extra Munitions
    Guidance Chips

Very similar to your setup, the proton torps ability with guidance chips will get you 3-4 hits/crits often and her ability lets you control a great big doughnut of real estate.

Ten Numb (37pts*)
    EPT - to taste
    Ion Cannon
    B-Wing/E2
    Bistan

Great control ship that guarantees ion cannon hits. Pairs with a kitted out Nien Nunb (T70) for fun time shenanigans!

Keyan Farlander (43pts)
    Push the Limit
    Fire Control System
    Heavy Laser Cannon
    B-Wing/E2
    Hera Syndulla

Really expensive but gives you 4 attack dice at all ranges.

oh h*ck
  • XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Well, I had a crazy-fun Sunday afternoon. Got the chance to play an Epic battle, although it was not quite the battle I had expected.

We decided to do a 3-way battle royale, and it was total mayhem. Me and one other person had similar Rebel lists (both flew Dutyfree/ Slicer Tools Transports), while the third brought out his Raider and Defenders.

Here's my list that I ran:
    Alliance Protectorate Escorts (APEs)
    2x Green Squadron Pilots
    - Autothrusters
    - Chardaan Refit
    - A-Wing Test Pilot
    - Snap Shot
    - Push The Limit

Jake Farrell
    - Autothrusters
    - Chardaan Refit
    - A-Wing Test Pilot
    - *Swarm Leader
    - Push The Limit

2x Blue Squadron Pilots
    - B-Wing/E2
    - Intelligence Agent | *Cassian Andor
    - Ion Cannon
    - Fire-Control System

Bohdi Rook
    - *Captain Rex
    - Hotshot Co-pilot
    - Pivot Wing
    - Anti-Pursuit Lasers
    - Fire-Control System

2x Tala Squadron Pilots
    - Guidance Chips
    - Assault Missiles

Shara Bey
    - Alliance Overhaul
    - *R7-T1
    - *Experimental Interface
    - Expert Handling
    - Weapons Engineer

GR-75 Medium Transport
    - *Dutyfree
    - Slicer Tools
    - Engine Booster
    - Frequency Jammer
    - Shield Technician
    - Inspiring Recruit
    - Automated Protocols

The other lists I can't seem to remember too well, but they went something like so:
    Rebel Opponent
    5x Red Squadron Pilots (w/ proxies)
    - R2 Astromech
    - Integrated Astromech

2x Green Squadron Pilots
    - A-Wing Test Pilot
    - Adrenaline Rush (w/ proxy)
    - Veteran Instincts

"Dutch" Vander
    - Ion Cannon Turret
    - BTL-A4
    - *R3-A2

Han Solo (Rebel)
    - *Luke Skywalker

GR-75 Medium Transport
    - *Dutyfree
    - Slicer Tools
    - Comms Booster
    - Frequency Jammer
    - *Toryn Farr
    - *Raymus Antilles

Imperial Opponent
    Countess Ryad
    - TIE/D
    - Ion Cannon
    - Homing Missiles
    - Guidance Chips
    - Predator

Colonel Vessery
    - TIE/D
    - Ion Cannon
    - Homing Missiles
    - Guidance Chips
    - Predator

Turr Phennir
    - Push The Limit
    - Royal Guard TIE
    - Autothrusters
    - Targeting Computer

"Scourge"
    - Hull Upgrade
    - Push The Limit

Raider-Class Corvette
    Front
    - Cluster Bombs
    - Engineering Team
    - Ion Cannon Battery
    Back
    - *Assailer
    - Operations Specialist
    - Fleet Officer
    - Quad Laser Cannons
    - Single Torbolasers
    - Ordnance Experts
    - Sensor Team
    - Comms Booster
    - Automated Protocols

Lots of pictures below!
    qv0em1ru4dg4.jpg
    41ub0hyf89ra.jpg
    yb47bk46uya4.jpg
    6qijvmxo7i3h.jpg
    2g4ewjxf0efh.jpg
    qnhbey0anxu4.jpg
    ieo8h8iok3j4.jpg
    r6tqgzkpr2a7.jpg
    ck3frllaor4i.jpg
    jaqzf1t0vrla.jpg
    hro3r9opw9v4.jpg
    cpjrw5lqruuc.jpg
    bs478822b30w.jpg
    q8gltgae2cdd.jpg
    ch5ldjniw0er.jpg
    Had to call it a day, since the whole battle took the better of 5 hours. In the end, the person with the X-Wing squad and painted transport won by having the most points worth of ships out on the table.

I came in last, but I was extremely satisfied with my Headhunters delivering their payload, since the other Rebel opponent came up to me with his squad of X-Wings and said, "Hey, your Z's have missiles-- oh crap, they have THOSE missiles!" I ended up having, basically, all of his X-Wings eject their astromechs after the fact.

XeadinMC on
    YIVQ28P.png
    Mother of God.

So jealous. Though I ... think I could field that entire fight myself except for 1 rebel transport, which makes me sad that I've never done that.
    Can you post your fleet lists?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Really like the paint job on that transport. Amazing what a couple of stripes and a logo can do to make a thing pop.

• TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Really like the paint job on that transport. Amazing what a couple of stripes and a logo can do to make a thing pop.

I think I'd like it better without the logo? Its just a little too clean and uniform for the Rebels.

The stripes are cool though.

• XeadinMCXeadinMC Reasonable Equestrian Lake Forest Park, WARegistered User regular
    Mother of God.

So jealous. Though I ... think I could field that entire fight myself except for 1 rebel transport, which makes me sad that I've never done that.
    Can you post your fleet lists?

I went ahead and posted what my opponents flew based on the images collected, as best as I could. I can't recall exactly what the lists were, but I'm fairly certain that's what was present.

Also, yes. The transport's paint job was pretty nice. The emblem on it is definitely eye-catching-- whether good or bad. He painted most of his ships around that paint scheme of gray and blue.

YIVQ28P.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    TheDrifter wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »

I think I'd like it better without the logo? Its just a little too clean and uniform for the Rebels.

The stripes are cool though.
    I see what you're saying, it is pretty smooth, but the Rebels had droids that could lay down paint. Sure, they had better uses for the droids, but some cocky captain throwing the Rebel logo there, big and loud like that? Seems like the kind of thing a nutjob that would willingly crew an outdated bulk freighter in the middle of a war zone would order his droid to do. Pretty much as close as you could get to flipping off the entire Empire.

There's a few shots from the other side where you can't see the logo and it looks good from that angle too.
    I think if there was a bit of a wash or something to reduce the gloss on the logo. Maybe rough up some of the edges a bit, apply some blaster scoring or something. Just a minor touch here or there to make it look a bit more lived in.

see317 on