As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hotel Question from a 1st Timer!

ThradiaThradia CanadaRegistered User regular
Hi there!

This is our first time going to PAX. I know that there will be discounted hotel prices when tickets are announced - does anyone have some estimates on what the prices were last year?
We are not opposed to staying further away, just trying to get an idea of hotel costs if we wanted to be right in the convention area. Or any recommendations from anyone? We are willing to pay for a good room - but still want to get the best deal possible of course!

Neither of us have ever been to Seattle so we don't know the lay of the land there.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Just from what I remember off the top of my head, it can vary from anywhere between $180 - $270 a night depending on where you stay and occupancy you have.

Crowne Plaza last year was $180 a night for 2 people in a single bed
    Grand Hyatt was about $225 a night for 1 bed, 1 person (a buddy of mine stayed there)
    Sheraton usually hovers around $199 a night for a 1 bed but sells out quick.

There's more hotels including the Roosevelt, Hilton, Westin and more, but I'm afraid I don't remember the old prices.

And yeah, hotel costs tend to go up about $20-30 a night when you have more than two people in a room. Hope this helps a little!

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Thradia wrote: »
    Hi there!

This is our first time going to PAX. I know that there will be discounted hotel prices when tickets are announced - does anyone have some estimates on what the prices were last year?
    We are not opposed to staying further away, just trying to get an idea of hotel costs if we wanted to be right in the convention area. Or any recommendations from anyone? We are willing to pay for a good room - but still want to get the best deal possible of course!

Neither of us have ever been to Seattle so we don't know the lay of the land there.

Hopefully these will help. I took these screenshots from last year's hotel page.

idglq50djhdr.png
    fures2tg0oma.png

jamsyarbots on
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    If you don't mind staying a tad further out, The Moore Hotel is $134/night. Now it is an old hotel with no AC, and that isn't for everybody. But it's also close to Pike Market which I like for food reasons. And some of the rooms have amazing old clawfoot bathtubs. And if you don't mind a bathroom down the hall, you can get rooms for $110.
    3eqyjbd7fk9k.png

• ThradiaThradia CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thanks everyone! That helps a bunch!

• ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    Im not bashing the posh hotel lifestyle but if you arent staying within walking distance of the convention center id rathere air bnb it and just pay the 100 for parking while your there. You can also stay within 15 mins of the convention at like the airport or north seattle and drive in for considerably cheaper for well under a 100 a night for two

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Or stay at a hotel right next to the airport and take the light rail into Seattle, light rail takes 35 minutes to get there regardless of traffic, is pretty cheap, no parking needed. Only problem is some of those hotels are kinda sketchy.

• PuddlemakerPuddlemaker Registered User regular
    Red Roof Inn by the airport is a decent place stayed there the last three years. Its about a 5 min walk down the hill to the light rail. If not check out VRBO to rent an apartment i went that route this year got a place for what i would be paying staying down by the airport. Plus it's closer right behind the convention center.

• nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Thanks for sharing this info! I'm looking at maybe doing a hotel for the first time this year due to some medical issues. How easy is it to cancel a reservation given enough advance notice? I don't want to be stuck with a big bill if plans need to change.

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • CKingCKing Registered User regular
    nixter wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing this info! I'm looking at maybe doing a hotel for the first time this year due to some medical issues. How easy is it to cancel a reservation given enough advance notice? I don't want to be stuck with a big bill if plans need to change.

So this might be helpful, might not. Hubby and I reserved the Grand Hyatt last year for Thursday-Tuesday. Ended up not being able to get out to Seattle until Friday. We called Thursday about 10am Seattle time. They didn't charge us for the night and held our reservation. One of the men working the front desk told us that they are usually understanding about anything if you call.

• PuddlemakerPuddlemaker Registered User regular
    booking.com has a lot of hotels that have free cancellations for the hotels you could look at that site if your concerned about canceling a hotel booking. Just be aware of the cut off dates for the free cancellation usually its two days before your arrival date.

• IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    nixter wrote: »

Cancelling through OnPeak is super simple and easy to do all the way up until the 2 or 3 week till PAX mark when reservations are transferred to the hotel. Then you have to cancel directly through the hotel, which generally abide by a standard 48-72 hour notice policy (sometimes it's just within 24 hrs) for cancellation and refunds. As folks have stated above, most hotels will be understanding but it's good to be aware of their policies.

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    It sounds like a lot of people are suggesting getting hotels outside of the PAX hotel booking site? Is it just because of supply being incredibly less than demand and it's difficult to get a good hotel through it?

If one does attempt to get a hotel through the PAX hotel booking site would you suggest purchasing a subscription to that queue thing that pops up?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »
    Is it just because of supply being incredibly less than demand and it's difficult to get a good hotel through it?

Quite
    If one does attempt to get a hotel through the PAX hotel booking site would you suggest purchasing a subscription to that queue thing that pops up?

Um, what?

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Is it just because of supply being incredibly less than demand and it's difficult to get a good hotel through it?

Quite

Thank you :D.
    whypick1 wrote: »

Um, what?

Maybe I was incorrect, it might be a service that Penny Arcade uses? https://queue-it.com/?c=onpeak&e=pax15dev&q=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    They do use a throttling/queuing system, yes. It's not something you can pay for access though. Hotel registration goes live as soon as passes go live.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    It sounds like a lot of people are suggesting getting hotels outside of the PAX hotel booking site? Is it just because of supply being incredibly less than demand and it's difficult to get a good hotel through it?

No, people are just offering alternatives. Even with the PAX discount, hotels in downtown Seattle are pretty pricey. But I've never had a problem getting a hotel from the PAX site - they go quickly at first, but the hotels are constantly opening back up as people change their travel plans, including the most popular ones, you just have to keep a watch on the site.

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular

No, people are just offering alternatives. Even with the PAX discount, hotels in downtown Seattle are pretty pricey. But I've never had a problem getting a hotel from the PAX site - they go quickly at first, but the hotels are constantly opening back up as people change their travel plans, including the most popular ones, you just have to keep a watch on the site.

Yes, the initial hotel sale is like a frantic land grab. But people often share rooms with others. So not only will there be a trend for hotels to open up(as mentioned above) due to groups consolidating, but there will also be a room share thread posted on the forum.

In short its not to bad a situation.

May PAX be upon you.
    edited May 2017
    Since we're talking about hotels in here, does anyone remember what the prices look like year to year? I stayed at the same hotel in '12 and '16 and don't think the price went up too much in four years. Can anyone back that? Trying to get a better idea of what I'll spend (currently going off last year) even though registration is almost here.

CKing on
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    CKing wrote: »
    Since we're talking about hotels in here, does anyone remember what the prices look like year to year? I stayed at the same hotel in '12 and '16 and don't think the price went up too much in four years. Can anyone back that? Trying to get a better idea of what I'll spend (currently going off last year) even though registration is almost here.

The second response has a screenshot from last years prices.

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232
    CKing wrote: »

The second response has a screenshot from last years prices.

I still have my bill from last year. I'm asking about other years. I have that my target hotel (Grand Hyatt) went up about $200 from '12 to '16, but was wondering if anyone had screenshots from other years since I didn't stay at the same hotel every year. Just to get an idea of how close I am in my estimate.

• jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I don't have any other screenshots but this may help a little:

2013 Sheraton: $835.70 (4 nights)

2015 Sheraton: $1092.40 (5 nights)

• Hoboking006Hoboking006 Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Renaissance hotel was $1241 for 5 nights last year.

Hoboking006 on
    May PAX be upon you.
  • MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    2015 Motif was 273.66 a night
    2016 Sheraton was 289.84 a night

MrBroadstone on
    Hey, does anyone remember if the Moore Hotel is one of the PAX hotels? I *seem* to remember it in the list, but that could be a fever dream.

• krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    Hey, does anyone remember if the Moore Hotel is one of the PAX hotels? I *seem* to remember it in the list, but that could be a fever dream.

There was a point last year where tons of hotels that weren't in the normal list showed up in the list. Not sure why or how that happened.

The Moore Hotel seems like it's the kind of hotel that only does it's own bookings though.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    The Moore was a PAX hotel briefly (maybe 2013) or something. But I think only one year. It wasn't in 2016. So there is no reason to not reserve a room there now if you want one, since you can cancel at any time for free. More rooms are unlikely to open up, so the available ones will likely just shrink.

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    booking.com has a lot of hotels that have free cancellations for the hotels you could look at that site if your concerned about canceling a hotel booking. Just be aware of the cut off dates for the free cancellation usually its two days before your arrival date.

The only downside to this is that the rates you'll find are typically more expensive than what OnPeak winds up offering. The Springhill normal rate is about $240 a night outside of PAX for instance. I think AirBNB and other non-partner hotels might have more competitive rates though but it'll likely be further outside of downtown.

Speaking of I'd also say Springhill is pretty good in general if you're planning on staying with more than 2 people as the rooms are pretty large and offer a pull out bed via the couch. They've also been relatively consistent about not charging (too much) extra for additional people. The only downside is that it's more out of the way than the rest of the hotels.

• Nathan WindNathan Wind Colorado Springs, CORegistered User regular
    So looks like anyone can reserve a room for all PAX days at the Westin through the PAX Dev link. Would that get flagged? I'd rather stay closer but is a good backup option if someone is worried they will miss out when West goes live.

PAX Prime 14, 15
    PAX West 16, 17
    My Rig: I7 7700K, Aorus K5, 32GB RipJaws V, Samsung 960 PCIe 256 & 500, Zotac 1080Ti
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Keep in kind, the vast majority of the hotels are within blocks of the con centre. Last time I went, we were in the Crowne Plaza, and the walk was very nominal (5 minutes or so)- don't worry about proximity too much.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • krae_mankrae_man Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    I decided to try the Moore Hotel.

Never done a Euro set up before

krae_man on
  • PavioPavio Registered User regular
    Question for those who've stayed in these hotels for PAX before:
    Is one room enough for 5 or 6 people? And are there hotels that are more suited for extra people in one room?

I've been to Prime/West many times but always stayed with my bro, but he's moving right before PAX, so I'm new to the hotel situation.

v6h3hfs2v597.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Pavio wrote: »
    Question for those who've stayed in these hotels for PAX before:
    Is one room enough for 5 or 6 people? And are there hotels that are more suited for extra people in one room?

I've been to Prime/West many times but always stayed with my bro, but he's moving right before PAX, so I'm new to the hotel situation.

Homewood suites would be your best option. They have lots of space, but the rooms sell out really fast as they are very desirable (also free breakfast).

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    Yeah, Homewood Suites is basically a bunch of full-size apartments, complete with full kitchen. They even by default have both a bed and a sofa-bed.

• Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    Depends on how comfortable you are with other people. We did 5 in a Hilton room last year and that was very tight. Have done 5 in Paramount and that was more comfortable. This year we just rented an apartment for the week.

• jthom252jthom252 Duarte, CARegistered User regular
    Does anyone know how much Homewood charges per additional person? I'm hoping to book it if I'm lucky enough to be on in time this year but I don't want to book something way to pricey for my group. Springhill has always been pretty lax about this but the Homewood in San Antonio stuck an extra $50/night since I had a group of 4 with me.

• Spokane_SnowManSpokane_SnowMan Registered User regular
    I believe it is $20 per person above 2. IE group of 4 will cost $40 more than a double occupancy. And that is just about the standard for most the places, give or take.

• ManWife VanLifeManWife VanLife Registered User new member
    edited June 2017
    And this is why we will be staying in our Van :P pending a successful ticket transaction ofcourse.

zerzhul on