As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Ziggymon wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Except for the lack of an eraser function (i.e. a second end).
    Also it would be great if it could clip onto the smart connector rather than sticking out of the lightning port…
    Hey, maybe one could solve the issues with the other?

(Coming soon to the Apple Pen…)

the lack of eraser end is annoying, sure... but the UIs on apps that make use of the pen have gotten around that handily.

The latency and immediacy of pen to screen makes it better than even a high end intuos. Like, it looks like there is no gap between the pen and the surface you are drawing on.

It's better for general notes than any other digitizer around, however for higher end drawing skills the Wacom is still king with pressure sensitivity. I do appreciate the long battery and quick charging.

Apple hasn't published the pressure sensitivity, but people who have used both say it is comparable to the 1024 or so that the intuos devices use, but with less latency and really fantastic angle tracking.

The reason an intuos is better than an iPad Pro is access to full photoshop/illustrator. Otherwise the pencil is just better.

Mind you, those apps are a big reason to choose Wacom.

I have both devices and the pencil while workable is around half the sensitivity of the Wacom. If you want a better value device that works all round then the pro with Astropad is a fantastic alternative to the high end Wacom. However when looking at the more complex levels of work there is huge limitations with the pencil.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Apprently itunes updated at some point to allow users to delete music from their devices again.

So... that's good.

edited January 2017
    My dad walked into our phone place to get a new phone and walked out with a ipad for my mom and iwatch 1 for me.

I have no idea what to do with this fuckin' thing. I'm a store manager and a barista so it's not of any use there.

The only thing it could help me maybe do is keep my phone out of my bedroom to reduce distraction. Is it possible to have my phone in another room, muted, while my watch alerts me to calls and texts, loud enough to wake me if necessary?

august on
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    august wrote: »
    My dad walked into our phone place to get a new phone and walked out with a ipad for my mom and iwatch 1 for me.

I have no idea what to do with this fuckin' thing. I'm a store manager and a barista so it's not of any use there.

The only thing it could help me maybe do is keep my phone out of my bedroom to reduce distraction. Is it possible to have my phone in another room, muted, while my watch alerts me to calls and texts, loud enough to wake me if necessary?

I've found the watch most useful as a series of small conveniences. You can have the watch mirror your iPhone's notification settings, or have its own, and it can beep/vibrate pretty loudly. Its Bluetooth range is pretty good, and apparently it can be setup to work with a phone on the same wifi network in the absence of Bluetooth, but I've had some issues with that and not enough trouble elsewhere to merit fixing it.

Daily use for me is typically: As a watch! But also quickly checking weather, checking notifications (email, texts, news alerts) without pulling out my phone, as a remote for AppleTV, controlling music, texting through Siri when I'm cooking or driving. Also nice to have a more reliable fitness tracker that I have a better excuse to wear.

Rarer but pleasant uses: vibration alerts when it's time to turn during long drives, sending 'heartbeats' to my wife (gimmicky, but I like the premise), setting timers when my phone is elsewhere in the house, and a remote camera button (setup the phone to take a picture, get into the frame, use to watch to check what the phone is seeing/take pictures).

My wife likes that it lets her lead meditation/yoga groups and change the music to the next on the playlist without interrupting the flow of things, which is a pretty decent example of the benefits it offers. Nothing drastic, but a lot of small benefits that you don't notice so much until you're using them. Mine was a gift that I had no idea what to use for, but I'm a fan now.

Edit: Oh, and it's also a reasonably functional replacement for your phone calls/texts in general. Phone call quality is good on both ends, and though it's a little arduous to send long text messages, you can setup quick replies (and it comes with a lot initially) that come in handy. Speech to text is competent but not perfect, but I generally hate dictating so I don't have a great deal of experience with that feature.

Edit edit: And you can put a decent amount of songs on the phone for a workout playlist and pair it with a set of Bluetooth headphones so you don't have to bring your phone along with you on runs, which I like.

OneAngryPossum on
    None of those are super compelling to me, although it may come in handy in a workout context once I recover from a work injury. But if I'm working out I'll be having my phone with me anyway, because it would be crazy to be out of the house sans phone. And I have the text alerts volume cranked and there's no way it's loud enough to wake me or even consistently alert me to new text messages, so that use case is out. Basically as far as I can tell this thing was created so that people who make 10x more than me can pretend like they're paying attention during meetings. How much could I potentially sell it/trade it in for?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    None of those are super compelling to me, although it may come in handy in a workout context once I recover from a work injury. But if I'm working out I'll be having my phone with me anyway, because it would be crazy to be out of the house sans phone. And I have the text alerts volume cranked and there's no way it's loud enough to wake me or even consistently alert me to new text messages, so that use case is out. Basically as far as I can tell this thing was created so that people who make 10x more than me can pretend like they're paying attention during meetings. How much could I potentially sell it/trade it in for?

Loud enough? Are you not using the haptic feedback?

I'd like it to alert me when I'm not wearing it. Call alert is plenty loud, but texts is just the ding.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Does anyone have any idea why pairing headphones to the Apple Watch is so inconsistent? They're in range, powered on (they're even showing as pairable) but it seems totally random whether or not they'll pair. Every other device (windows or phone) finds them just fine.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Gonna be picking up that sweet sweet 128GB iPhone SE pretty soon to replace my aging iPhone 5c. I was going for an SE earlier in the year but something told me to wait it out, and I'm glad I did.

Now to figure out what service provider I'm going with...urgh.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Pretty big IOS update coming today apparently

Apple's switching over to their new file system

• Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Are there any third party apple watch chargers yet? My cats have now chewed through another one and I'm really starting to hate dropping $40 every time this happens so I can use my watch.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Are there any third party apple watch chargers yet? My cats have now chewed through another one and I'm really starting to hate dropping $40 every time this happens so I can use my watch.

Searching amazon for "Apple Watch charger" turns up plenty of choices.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'd strongly suggest against getting third-party chargers. The few cases of Apple devices having serious battery issues (like setting on fire) have nearly all be traced to badly-behaving third-party chargers. Even if it doesn't blow up on your wrist, it can definitely affect the life of your battery.

Consider getting some bitter spray from a pet store. I used this way back in the day to ensure my rats didn't go biting on wires they weren't supposed to.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Don't buy third party chargers

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2017
    It would be nice if the puck was its own thing that had a lightning cable plug into it.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Anyone have any suggestions for using Airplay to stream a show from an iPad to AppleTV? Everytime I try to it constantly buffers for as long or longer than it plays.

Or should I try to bypass the apps and stream through some ATV web browser?

The Apps are available on the iPad but not the ATV

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • dylmandylman Registered User regular
    Just over an hour to go until the WWDC keynote.

It's rumoured that there will be hardware updates this year (new 10.5 inch iPad, Siri speaker), and it looks like iOS 11 will get drag and drop functionality, as well as some kind of file manager.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    10.5 iPad is a definite buy for me.

120Hz refresh, HDR, and "just right" screen size

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Love that opening skit.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • KPCKPC Registered User regular
    10.5 iPad is a definite buy for me.

120Hz refresh, HDR, and "just right" screen size

Also does variable refresh rates, though I suspect it's only at set intervals, instead of a true spectrum of 24hz to 120hz. Would feel very Apple, but that's just my speculation.

• DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    no portrait at all seems like an interesting decision but i didn't watch the keynote to see if they discussed how that works

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Anyone have any suggestions for using Airplay to stream a show from an iPad to AppleTV? Everytime I try to it constantly buffers for as long or longer than it plays.

Or should I try to bypass the apps and stream through some ATV web browser?

The Apps are available on the iPad but not the ATV

It might be crappy local wifi conditions. As a basic functionality test, can you stream music from Apple Music on the iPad to the ATV? If not even music will stream, then you might poke at your wifi setup to see if it's running unnaturally slow for some reason.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    10.5 ordered.

The wife is getting the 12.9 inch pro from me.

Both of us get what we want.

Oh man I cannot wait

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    no portrait at all seems like an interesting decision but i didn't watch the keynote to see if they discussed how that works
    What are you referring to?

The new improvements sound really impressive and I'm glad they're incorporating the new features in the 10.5 and 12.9 simultaneously. Waiting to see a proper tear-down but I'm hoping the 10.5 improves on the 2gb of RAM offered by the 9.7 Pro. It might be the iPad to finally push me to buying one -- and the new features in iOS definitely help with that.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Looking for a family tablet. Everybody in the family has Kindle Fires, I've got a Nexus 7.

For something we can load up with apps and movies, the 128 GB on the mini 4 is tempting. It being on sale this week doesn't hurt, either.

But then there's the fact that it's 2-year old tech. Then again, for the main use of it, that shouldn't matter.

So the 10.5" is in hand, and oh man does it feel noticeably different.

The screen is just so. damn. beautiful. 120hz for UI interactions and page scrolling is a game changer

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • htmhtm Registered User regular

The screen is just so. damn. beautiful. 120hz for UI interactions and page scrolling is a game changer

Not sure if it's a game changer, but it's definitely smooth as silk. Performance overall is just really, really good. It's faster than a tablet has any right to be.

Once iOS 11 is out, I feel like the iPad Pros are going to devour the cheaper, smaller end of the MacBook range.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »

Not sure if it's a game changer, but it's definitely smooth as silk. Performance overall is just really, really good. It's faster than a tablet has any right to be.

Once iOS 11 is out, I feel like the iPad Pros are going to devour the cheaper, smaller end of the MacBook range.

Next-gen MacBook airs will be two iPads connected with a hinge.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Do any of you guys happen to have Airpods? I'm looking to jump ship from Android in November and want to get a good set of wireless earbuds. My main concern is the sound quality.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
    Do any of you guys happen to have Airpods? I'm looking to jump ship from Android in November and want to get a good set of wireless earbuds. My main concern is the sound quality.

I have a pair. The sound quality is a bit better than the standard EarPods that come with the phone, although once in a while I'm surprised by the amount of sound coming from a small pair of wireless headphones. Better sound might be found in the Beats lineup of headphones. I tried the BeatsX and didn't like the in-ear earbuds, but that was just a personal preference. The Solo 3s are the cream of the crop, but expensive.

I would definitely stick with anything with a W1 chip, since that allows for the best pairing experience and battery life vs. regular Bluetooth. That the pairing propagates through iCloud is icing on the cake should you already have other Apple devices or are considering them.

The selling point of the AirPods is the portability, lack of wires, features (taking them out pauses the music, put it back and the music resumes), and battery life (5 hrs of listening, quick charge so 5 minutes gets you 2-3 hrs of listening, charging case that has 24 hr battery life).

Unequivocally one of the best Apple devices in a while. A+++ would recommend

Caveat: if the regular EarPods don't fit you well the AirPods probably won't, either.

Good luck!

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Unless you just really, really want to get rid of all the wires, I would look at the BeatsX before the AirPods. They cost the same and reviews say they sound notably better (though like all Beats products, not great for the money).

The AirPods have a neat party trick, but I just can't recommend anyone spend $160 for the same sound quality as the stock earbuds.

a5ehren wrote: »
    Unless you just really, really want to get rid of all the wires, I would look at the BeatsX before the AirPods. They cost the same and reviews say they sound notably better (though like all Beats products, not great for the money).

The AirPods have a neat party trick, but I just can't recommend anyone spend $160 for the same sound quality as the stock earbuds.

The BeatsX lasts longer on a charge (8 hrs) but the AirPods essentially come out 100% charged from its case every time. I think there is more value in the AirPods than you think.

It's also tough to say that it has the same sound quality; it is actually better, but not by much.

It comes down to how they fit and how much one values sound quality, which I can see is important to you.

I own both solo 3s and airpods.

I like the experience of the airpods more, but the solo 3s are way more versatile.

But I dont think I can go back to wired earbuds. The convenience factor is off the charts.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Got my airpods yesterday. They are fantastic. Can't wait to pick up an iPhone in November so that they'll get even better.

That is all.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Got my airpods yesterday. They are fantastic. Can't wait to pick up an iPhone in November so that they'll get even better.

That is all.

Any experience with jogging/running with them? I've been eyeing a pair for a while now, ever since I realized how many pairs of earbuds I've replaced.

That is all.

Any experience with jogging/running with them? I've been eyeing a pair for a while now, ever since I realized how many pairs of earbuds I've replaced.

No running or jogging, but I do ride my bike to work every day and did so this morning. Sound was good and permitted me to hear traffic around me, which was nice. No serious issues; there was some little signal loss but right now I've got them connected to an HTC One M9 so it's not taking advantage of the W1 chip. I'm sure they'll be better once I get the iPhone.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Got an iPhone 7 Plus coming in, so I wanted to get some recommendations on cases to cover the back.

Specifically I want a case that is:

1. Inexpensive

2. Does not add any meaningful bulk or weight to the phone

3. Preferably novelty, something cool and pop culture-y

Amazon's got these bitchin' Shinra logo cases, but I wonder if the build quality justifies that price.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    It might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've been using this one since last September:

Silk iPhone 7 Plus Wallet Case - Vault Slim Wallet for iPhone 7+ [Ultra Slim Grip Card Case] - Black Onyx

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JTI4MXY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.zkEzbVV4YGJS

You could add stickers or whatever to the back of that for decorative purpose. I really love it, I stick my main credit card, drivers license, a bit of cash, and whatever other couple things I might need that day in it and it works great. Paired with a screen protector I picked up at Walmart that I haven't had to replace the whole time, and my phone has been perfectly protected even through a few minor drops.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Huh, that's actually a neat idea: seeing how I have my phone out almost 24/7, it's easier to pull out my credit card from there instead of from my wallet (which is in the same pocket I keep my keys, causing the occasional fumbling to pull it out).

Does the case hold the cards and cash sturdily? No worries about it falling out? How much extra bulk does it add as well?

Huh, that's actually a neat idea: seeing how I have my phone out almost 24/7, it's easier to pull out my credit card from there instead of from my wallet (which is in the same pocket I keep my keys, causing the occasional fumbling to pull it out).

Does the case hold the cards and cash sturdily? No worries about it falling out? How much extra bulk does it add as well?

Yeah, it holds one card or multiples securely, designed pretty well! I'll take some pictures in a bit so you can see the bulk. To me it's not that bad, it is more than the one you linked though of course.