As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh also, this video goes in to detail about pretty much everything that has been said about Cyberpunk 2077.

https://youtu.be/yxSkPao-uWk

Long video, worth a watch if you want to be caught up.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    ...and no, I don’t know its release date either...

Welp, I'm out. :rotate:

For real tho, pretty good article for those who are unfamiliar with the setting. Can't wait to see what these dudes do with it.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I want this game so bad it makes my guts rumble.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    MagicPrime wrote: »

That's just constipation, my friend

JtgVX0H.png
  • MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

I need a cyber-colon.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)

I need a cyber-colon.

Cyber-colons are great, but just make sure you don't eat Taco Bell during a firmware update.

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    If there's no E3 news on this game I'm going to flip some fucking tables. GIVE IT TO MEEEEE

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I use to play the RPG pen and Paper of cyberpunk. If any one can do it justice it's this team.

Nomads, Solo's, I want it all and I want my chrome shiny with neons bright.

Maybe just maybe this E3 we will get something to sink our teeth into.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

I need a cyber-colon.

Cyber-colons are great, but just make sure you don't eat Taco Bell during a firmware update.

It's more like wetware, at that point ...

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

This was a nice summation but I don't think he understands the way Cyber psychosis is supposed to work. The reason people become unhinged, as I have understood it, is that with too much hardware they begin to lose their connection to other humans because they no longer have the same sensations and experiences as they once did. Their problems stop being human problems so people become aliens to them. Often irritating and possibly enraging with their now strange needs. Throw in cyberware that gives almost superhuman powers and you have recipe for a god complex and a possible bloodbath.

Admittedly the game rules didn't quite handle it that well as it likely happened too suddenly in the game. It was also governed by a players Empathy attribute. This bizarrely meant that the people who were best suited to be street samurai loaded up with cyberware, were those voted "most likely to give you a hug" in high school since adding cyberware subtracted from Empathy. So the samurai with the most gear were actually teddy bears under all that chrome.

edited June 2017
    Y'know I could very well be wrong, but I thought CDR and Mike Pondsmith were producing an updated Cyberpunk rule book (I would presume Cyberpunk 2070) to go with the 2077 setting they are creating. Or maybe they were just talking about setting the game in the 2070's so they could advance technology by modern standards since shit has changed quite a lot since Cyberpunk setting was conceived.

If not then it'd seem like a pretty good time to do so IMO.

edit- Oh and lets not forget that this is supposed to be multiplayer! How hot is that?

edit 2- Upon further research yeah it was the second thing. They're using 2077 to implement fancy tech based on what the world has achieved thus far since the tech in the vanilla setting is kind of outdated. :razz:

Axen on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »

This was a nice summation but I don't think he understands the way Cyber psychosis is supposed to work. The reason people become unhinged, as I have understood it, is that with too much hardware they begin to lose their connection to other humans because they no longer have the same sensations and experiences as they once did. Their problems stop being human problems so people become aliens to them. Often irritating and possibly enraging with their now strange needs. Throw in cyberware that gives almost superhuman powers and you have recipe for a god complex and a possible bloodbath.

Admittedly the game rules didn't quite handle it that well as it likely happened too suddenly in the game. It was also governed by a players Empathy attribute. This bizarrely meant that the people who were best suited to be street samurai loaded up with cyberware, were those voted "most likely to give you a hug" in high school since adding cyberware subtracted from Empathy. So the samurai with the most gear were actually teddy bears under all that chrome.

Agreed, and I wasn't exactly happy with how it was dealt with in Shadowrun either. At least it was based off of a non-changeable attribute (Essence) which was reduced mostly by cyberware, but sometimes with certain magical abilities of some critters (Horrors, vamps, etc). Having Essence that was low started giving you negative penalties in social situations, when someone attempted to heal you with magic, and if you got low enough, you pretty much died or went nutso (and thus into NPC land). There was a whole thing with cybermancy which was a combination of magic and cyber to let you put even more metal in, but it caused some pretty horrible things. All in all it was pretty nebulous though, they opted for a roleplaying approach to it.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

Agreed, and I wasn't exactly happy with how it was dealt with in Shadowrun either. At least it was based off of a non-changeable attribute (Essence) which was reduced mostly by cyberware, but sometimes with certain magical abilities of some critters (Horrors, vamps, etc). Having Essence that was low started giving you negative penalties in social situations, when someone attempted to heal you with magic, and if you got low enough, you pretty much died or went nutso (and thus into NPC land). There was a whole thing with cybermancy which was a combination of magic and cyber to let you put even more metal in, but it caused some pretty horrible things. All in all it was pretty nebulous though, they opted for a roleplaying approach to it.

Unfortunately both systems kind of had to have something that would limit the amount of cyberware characters could have, otherwise everyone is going to be running around looking like Robocop. Something that in real life would likely be deeply traumatic and not taken on lightly given the numerous consequences it entails. But since the player doesn't actually have to deal with any of that they see no reason not to load themselves up with as much cyber garbage as they fit in their body.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    No I wasn't arguing against the limit, I just think something was missing. Not quite right. Whatever.

• KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Every time this thread pops up I get all excited. "Surely there's new information this time!". Except there isn't. There never is. Wake me up when I can have this game on an IV drip directly into my veins.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
    Turns out CDPR was hacked and warns their fans to avoid any Cyberpunk 2077 info that doesn't directly come from them.
    "A demand for ransom has been made, saying that should we not comply, the files will be released to the general public," CD Projekt's message continued. It said it has contacted the authorities and does not intend to pay the ransom, which it acknowledges might result in the files making their way online. It did not say what the ransom entails.

"The documents are old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision of the game," it said. "Still, if you're looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077, it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."

• SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Unfortunately both systems kind of had to have something that would limit the amount of cyberware characters could have, otherwise everyone is going to be running around looking like Robocop. Something that in real life would likely be deeply traumatic and not taken on lightly given the numerous consequences it entails.

You mean being fuckin' awesome 24/7 and having the strength of twelve gorillas? Let's be honest, Adam Jensen was only saying he "didn't ask for this" to make everyone who wasn't a radical cyborg feel envious.

Syzygy on
    Syzygy wrote: »
    Unfortunately both systems kind of had to have something that would limit the amount of cyberware characters could have, otherwise everyone is going to be running around looking like Robocop. Something that in real life would likely be deeply traumatic and not taken on lightly given the numerous consequences it entails.

You mean being fuckin' awesome 24/7 and having the strength of twelve gorillas? Let's be honest, Adam Jensen was only saying he "didn't ask for this" to make everyone who wasn't a radical cyborg feel envious.

I imagine things playing out like this behind the scenes.

Buddy: "Dude, I mean, are you alright and shit?"
    Jensen: "Are you kidding me? I can crush a fucking gun with my hand! It's awesome! Oh shit, shh! Here comes my boss."
    Sarif: "So. . . how are you feeling Jensen?"
    Jensen: "I didn't ask for this!"
    -Sarif walks away ashamed-
    Buddy: "Why do you always do that?"
    Jensen: "Dude do you have any idea how much of a raise I'm getting from this? Screw the beach house, Imma gunna buy the whole damn island!"

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Only problem with all computer parts is that you'll be yesterday's model in 6 months. Who wants to be a cyborg with a TI 980?

Man can you imagine a world with Cyberpunk/Shadowrun levels of cybernetic implants coupled with Apple-esque business strategy of releasing the Next Best Thing every few months?

Man, now I know why the settings are so Dystopian.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    That comes up in Shadowrun: Hong Kong, funnily enough.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Turns out CDPR was hacked and warns their fans to avoid any Cyberpunk 2077 info that doesn't directly come from them.
    "A demand for ransom has been made, saying that should we not comply, the files will be released to the general public," CD Projekt's message continued. It said it has contacted the authorities and does not intend to pay the ransom, which it acknowledges might result in the files making their way online. It did not say what the ransom entails.

"The documents are old and largely unrepresentative of the current vision of the game," it said. "Still, if you're looking forward to playing Cyberpunk 2077, it would be best for you to avoid any information not coming directly from CD Projekt Red."

Which is a pretty cyberpunk situation, all in all

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

My favorite part,

Mike Pondsmith: "I didn’t know him so I figure he has no good reason to be here, so I got hold of a katana…"

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    “So a lot of the conversations we’ve had on the team are not “can we do this?” We can do just about anything. Instead, it’s me explaining why I did it in pen and paper, and then we figure out if we need it again, and whether it serves a different purpose in a videogame."

That makes me feel pretty great about the adaptation process.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm not an especially huge fan of The Witcher games, but it's obvious that CDPR puts a lot of emphasis on thoughtful and purposeful design.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I've never played a Witcher game (I know, I know), but I'm beyond hyped for this. Cyberpunk is my favorite genre, and everything points to this being done right.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No, Cyberpunk Game, tell us how you really feel!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    IM FULLY PREPARED TO BECOME A CYBER CRAB

obF2Wuw.png
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Boop?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

This is the best tweet in the past 5 years.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I for one eagerly await any answers to the mystery that is Chesty McTubetop.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

of the boston mctubetops???

obF2Wuw.png
    Synthesis wrote: »

of the boston mctubetops???

Specifically the Boston Dynamics Mctubetops.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    But Chesty's the face of the Twitter profile....

*Canonical player character confirmed*

guys today they travelled back in time 4 years and released a trailer AMAZING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs

obF2Wuw.png
    I still feel like that trailer should have ended with "Don't date robots!"